Assisted Living/Affordable Housing Meeting
Printer-Friendly Version

The Town of Wareham Cordially Invites You
to a Public Meeting
Proposed Assisted Living/Affordable Housing Project
Westfield Site, Charlotte Furnace Rd.
on August 6, 2009, 6:30 PM
Selectmen's Hearing Room, 48 Marion Road

The Selectmen have issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) to developers to submit a proposal to design,
finance, construct and operate an Assisted living/affordable housing rental project at the Westfield site
on Charlotte Furnace Road.

The RFP describes the requirements developers must meet and includes:
~ Between 50 to 200 units
~ 100% of the units for senior housing (over age 55) with 25% of units for assisted living
~ Non profit or for profit entity will build/operate the project to the town's specification
~ Proposals will address how to minimize the financial impact on the community
~ Transportation will be provided to residents
~ Subject to approval of Town Meeting the developer will enter into a long term lease

Following are some of the topics that may be reviewed:
~ Impact on Neighbors
~ School Committee
~ Zoning Board of Appeals and Planning
Board
~ Conservation Commission
~ Counsel on Aging and Housing
Authority
~ Sewer Department, Water Department
and CDM
~
~ Community Preservation Committee and
Finance Committee -

For additional information contact the Interim Town Administrator, John Sanguinet at 508-291-3100,
ext 31100r Richard Heaton, H&H Associates LLP, Phone 978-779-2892 or Email:

i just got this of the town site dated 7/29/09.. I had no idea this meeting was taking place i subscribe to the BOS news and got no notice just like the 7/30 meeting also the warrant info is on the site dated 8/4 something fishy...

#2 2009-08-07 08:20:42

Paul Shooter may or may not be involved.

#3 2009-08-07 08:52:15

In all fairness--yes, that's what I said, in all fairness--this was mentioned at the bos meeting during their long and tedious discussion with Mr. Heaton. I admit, that's when I did a bit of channel surfing and if others did the same or took a bathroom break, they might have missed it.

The point that we have been trying to make is that the taking of the property and deed restriction does not allow for this type of use. Town meeting voted down any movement on this project, so many of us were shocked to see that we have spent over $30,000 for the work that has been done.

The bos keep saying town meeting wanted more information on the project which is why they went ahead with it.

Some say the money they spent came from the Housing Trust and that the bos are obliged to appoint a board of trustees to handle those funds. Without a board, they have carte blanche apparently to spend those funds.

It would seem to me that before anything could be done with that property, the deed restriction would have to be changed and I don't know if that can be done, and the original taking in the 1970s---well how do you get around that? So this has potential to become a huge problem in the future. Do I see K and P with big smiles on their faces?

Don't forget, they get paid whether they win or lose a case for the town. So why would they ever advise the bos that what they are doing probably won't fly in a court of law?

#4 2009-08-07 10:05:55

molly the BOS said in the meeting on 6/30 i believe that they would have to go to TM and get the deed restriction changed. my point is i feel the meeting posting wasnt too public and out there for all to see and attend..

#5 2009-08-07 10:47:38

An important point to realize:
~ Subject to approval of Town Meeting the developer will enter into a long term lease
This project can't go forward without approval on the Town Meeting floor. And it can't go to Town Meeting without a proposal to vote on. This project is supposed to help us increase the number of affordable housing units in town. Whether it is a good project or not, time will tell, and the voters will have the final say.

#6 2009-08-07 14:23:56

During the BOS meeting when they were discussing this, Cronan was talking about how people in the town keep shooting it down without seeing the value of continuing the planning of such a development, even if the site is at issue(ignorant town folk). They also expressed concern as to why there was only one bidder(when Cronan suggested he'd put his bid in if he could).(get away with it, I say)
They asked the BOS if asking the bidders that dropped out already why they did, was a good way to learn how to get more bidders. Cronan said "sure, of course that's a good place to start initially". I remember it because I thought "..start initially, that's redundant, dummy."
And LizdaGnome, I also felt like I was not receiving my email notifications in the normal way from the town. Delivery has been spotty, at best. On a side note, I received the photos of the clam boil You and Larry attended last week. Looks like a good time, wish I could have made it.
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/nomadandgypsy/m%20r%20gnome%202.jpg
PShooter(not to be confused with Bobo's gnome)

Last edited by PShooter (2009-08-09 01:45:34)

#7 2009-08-07 14:34:02

hehehe!!! it was a great success. were you hiding under the steps or in a bush to get this shot of me my family and friends? excellent cloaking skills..

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com