#1 2009-08-05 09:22:23

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/loca … 34317.html

Here is a link to a newspaper article which will give you a little more information on the new Interim Police Chief.

#2 2009-08-05 09:57:02

And a reference to his drunk driving arrest - this was back in 1992:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-8752216.html

#3 2009-08-05 10:02:34

Looks like he's also had issues getting along with the fire department:

Prior to a recent Rotary Club meeting, North Andover Police Chief Richard Stanley asked if he could  speak to the group and ask for their support for the new police station. He was initially granted permission, but when Fire Chief Bill Dolan found out about it, he reportedly resigned from the Rotary Club in protest. The Rotary subsequently withdrew its invitation to Stanley in order to get Dolan to reconsider his resignation, but Dolan would not return. I guess this explains why the idea of a joint police and fire station always draws laughter any time it is suggested to town officials.

-http://www.tommyduggan.com/VP040505notebook.html

#4 2009-08-05 10:45:34

"Stanley said he will work 20 hours a week in Wareham on top of his full-time duties in North Andover. Wareham is at least an 80-mile, 1 1/2-hour commute from the Merrimack Valley."

"I don't see any benefit to North Andover when the police chief has a part-time job an hour and a half away," Gordon said yesterday afternoon. "It's nothing personal. The chief has done a good job. But the position of police chief is the kind of job that is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

"Selectmen said they will review the situation in 60 days. If they feel the chief's work in North Andover is suffering, they will pull the plug on his Wareham job."

"As long as his first priority is and always will be the town of North Andover. After 60 days, we'll see if the arrangement is working for us."

"Wareham is giving me a cruiser to use to travel back and forth," he said.

"Last year, Stanley made $132,546, with stipends, in North Andover."

...Sounds great.
PShooter(not to be confused with Bobo's imaginary friend)

Last edited by PShooter (2009-08-10 16:12:54)

#5 2009-08-05 10:54:40

Okay, I have to put in my two sense. First, I understand bringing in an interim chief. It's apparent they do not want Wallace, so the next move was to either hire a full time Chief or an interim Chief. What I find unsettling is that he is currently employed as a full time Chief in another town. This could provide a conflict, especially if faced with two crisis situations in separate locations (God Forbid). I have a difficult time understanding how they chose this man, knowing they would get a part time chief with divided interests when they had at least 3 other candidates that Saginet considered well qualified to do the job.

I'm not concerned with his prior issues. Let's face it, you can dig up dirt on anyone with the internet. What I want to know is why are they short changing the residents of Wareham by this type of arrangement? If it's to save money, we all know that isn't a good reason to agree to this.

I don't know much about this guy, and I'm sure he has strong points, but again, does this arrangement really benefit Wareham? He has a cruiser and 20 hours a week, we get??????????

#6 2009-08-05 14:24:13

Paul Shooter would have been the Police Chief for free, and would have taught all of the police officers karate for free.

#7 2009-08-05 14:35:00

Larry McDonald wrote:

Okay, I have to put in my two sense. First, I understand bringing in an interim chief. It's apparent they do not want Wallace, so the next move was to either hire a full time Chief or an interim Chief. What I find unsettling is that he is currently employed as a full time Chief in another town. This could provide a conflict, especially if faced with two crisis situations in separate locations (God Forbid). I have a difficult time understanding how they chose this man, knowing they would get a part time chief with divided interests when they had at least 3 other candidates that Saginet considered well qualified to do the job.

I'm not concerned with his prior issues. Let's face it, you can dig up dirt on anyone with the internet. What I want to know is why are they short changing the residents of Wareham by this type of arrangement? If it's to save money, we all know that isn't a good reason to agree to this.

I don't know much about this guy, and I'm sure he has strong points, but again, does this arrangement really benefit Wareham? He has a cruiser and 20 hours a week, we get??????????

My understanding is that he is a personal friend of our ITA.  I don't know where to search for the truth to my statement.

#8 2009-08-05 17:06:12

Hey bornof, how can you make such a stupid statement? "I don't know where to search for the truth to my statement?"  with that rational, you are either a liar or you are making things up. And this site criticizes Slager? That statement is right up his alley! If you don't know that your assertion is true, then don't spew it.

#9 2009-08-05 17:20:11

OCrush wrote:

Hey bornof, how can you make such a stupid statement? "I don't know where to search for the truth to my statement?"  with that rational, you are either a liar or you are making things up. And this site criticizes Slager? That statement is right up his alley! If you don't know that your assertion is true, then don't spew it.

Hey, come on, back off, alright? We're all neighbors and you two are coworkers.

Here's an informed civilian's opinion. Chuck Wallace was exactly the kind of  guy you wanted to help defuse a tense situation when I first met him FORTY YEARS ago.

Except that he's mellowed and has a law degree, tell me what's changed?

#10 2009-08-05 17:23:54

OCrush wrote:

Why don't you tackle my opinion? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance

#11 2009-08-05 17:31:03

Bill,
     We are not co-workers. Slager lives on this site more than you realize, and now even through you. Why make that statement, Bill, when you do not know if it is fact?  This site should be proud to state facts and how it is known that a fact is such, unlike the "other site." when this does not happen, and I know about it, I will call that person out. Now for another fact, Wallace helped to diffuse a situation 40 years ago? What could have happened in the 7th grade?

#12 2009-08-05 18:57:14

Actually it was Lt. Wallace who diffused the situation at the Community Meeting, just ask Bob Brady what a cool head he had. He is an excellent Lt and has dedicated his life to this community. He bettered himself by getting a law degree and we hire a part timer who has to drive and hour and a half to get here (in a cruiser we are paying for). He may be the nicest guy in the world, and by all accounts is well respected in North Andover, but we need a FT Chief now.
Last year Plymouth's Chief retired and strangely enough they were able to get a civil service test right away. I think there is an ulterior motive here. He certainly is taking a big risk because this town will RUIN you for life if you cross this BOS!

#13 2009-08-05 19:57:25

I'm waiting Ocrush. Really, I just want to know your opinion on my comments. I think I made some valid points, and would love to hear if you agree or disagree.

#14 2009-08-05 20:43:22

First of all, "zoo," legally, the Lt. made the only choice he COULD make at the meeting. However, if Brady pushed the issue, the selectmen could have been removed. It was Brady's meeting and he paid for the room. My party and you can stay if I say so. This was never tested, so your point is moot.

As for you, Larry, after reading the Eagle Tribune link, I agree with your opinions. I do believe, however, that the police dept. needs NEW direction. I wish, after reading the article, that more of a Wareham commitment was made. I was led to believe that Chief Stanley was retiring from N. Andover. But, in the end, this is the decision that was made and let's see what happens. Good Luck to Chief Stanley.

#15 2009-08-05 21:10:17

I'm a little concerned with your comment about the police departmen needing a new direction. I'm not sure a P/T police chief is going to be able to lead the guys. In fact, he will have to depend on Lt. Wallace, which doesn't really change anything. See my point? This decision makes no sense to me. Again, I'm not questioning the new chief's ability to lead, just his ability to lead with only 20 hours a week to dedicate to it.

I work on the North Shore and I know the drive is a bit grueling at times. I wonder how much more grueling it will be on Chief Stanley?

#16 2009-08-05 23:12:33

Larry, I too am concerned about the chief not devoting his whole attention to Wareham, which I thought was the intention. I do believe, however, that he can bring about change with an unbiased view of the situation, even though he is here only 20 hrs. a week. He will depend on Lt. Wallace and the sergeants to carry out HIS directives just as other chiefs have done. The changes will be made by Stanley and executed by Wallace and the sergeants will be made because of his leadership -hopefully.  As for the commute, it won't be as bad as yours - same time, less traffic!

#17 2009-08-06 00:27:35

OCrush wrote:

"Hey" OCrush, I didn't make a stupid statement.  I was told that our ITA is a good friend of Interum Chief Stanley.  Upon researching on the web I was only able to find that our ITA has lived and worked in surrounding towns near North Andover.  My statement was to let others know that I had no proof to back up what I was told.  I was wondering if someone out there could dig up any information of a relationship between these two men, if in fact there is one.  If I was  a liar or making something up, why would I make it known that I was not sure if what I was told was true?  AGAIN, I WILL REPEAT FOR YOU THAT I WAS NOT SURE IF WHAT I WAS TOLD WAS TRUE.  That isn't a lie and I didn't make it up.  It is apparent that anything I say you have a snide comment in return.  I'm thinking that no matter what I say, you will disagree and that is your right in open forum. But disagree after you have carefully read what I wrote.         I am nothing like you or Slager,thank God.  Slager would have written that they were best of buddies and that is why Chief Stanley was chosen as a provisional chief.  If you carefully read what I wrote, I was definately making a statement that I had no information to back up what was told to me.  No problem.  Maybe some one with more time on their hands could research this.  I've never seen any thing like that in Slager's paper, have you?  You can continue to harass any and all of my statements.  I really don't care.  But you definately need a course in comprehension.

#18 2009-08-06 00:34:09

billw wrote:

OCrush wrote:

Hey bornof, how can you make such a stupid statement?

Hey, come on, back off, alright? We're all neighbors and you two are coworkers.

OCrush wrote:

We are not co-workers. Slager lives on this site more than you realize, and now even through you.

I responded too harshly and I'm sorry. Chuck's out, so all of this is academic. You'll start over from scratch with someone who doesn't know your history, or the town's, someone who hasn't a clue how to police a fractious resort community. Part-time.

Last edited by billw (2009-08-06 00:35:18)

#19 2009-08-06 00:47:08

Larry McDonald wrote:

I'm a little concerned with your comment about the police departmen needing a new direction. I'm not sure a P/T police chief is going to be able to lead the guys. In fact, he will have to depend on Lt. Wallace, which doesn't really change anything. See my point? This decision makes no sense to me. Again, I'm not questioning the new chief's ability to lead, just his ability to lead with only 20 hours a week to dedicate to it.

I work on the North Shore and I know the drive is a bit grueling at times. I wonder how much more grueling it will be on Chief Stanley?

I also wonder what the "new direction" is that we need. Another cop tonight read my print out of the N.Andover newspaper report of Stanley taking on this other job.  He has not met him yet and didn't even know his name until seeing it in the paper.  He also feels that Lt. Wallace should be the next chief.  He doesn't see where there are any problems in the Department except by not putting Lt. Wallace as chief.

#20 2009-08-06 04:37:01

how many of the policeman have met the the new chief,probably not all of you.

#21 2009-08-06 08:20:10

Crush what do you mean by "Good luck to Chief Stanley"? The hell with good luck Stanley how about "good luck Wareham"? With the issues of this town and a part time "nights and weekends" chief, how do you think Wareham is going to be in the future. That decision was made to buy time so the BOS can get an article on the next Town Meeting warrant to take the police chief out of civil service. That would mean the chief will work for sweet Brucie, which means sweet Brucie will no longer get arrested for the stupid and illegal things he does. You need to understand this is all part of the master plan. This is not about Stanley he will just be a puppet like the IBM (Interim Butt Monkey).

#22 2009-08-06 08:33:23

Okay, I"m not going to divulge information, let's just say there were several attempts by a certain group of people to undermine a former chief by attacking Lt's and Sgt's on the force. Obviously it didn't work, but it left a bad taste in the department's mouth. Some left, some retired, and some remain. When I think of a new direction, I think of appointing a full time chief with enough budget to fill key positions and set a new direction. Of course, with economic restraints, I understand that we can't always get what we want, but as a long time manager (executive for the last 5 years), this decision is more likely to cause bigger problems than solve problems. It's hard to split time between to separate entities and not short change one of them.

This decision is indicative of the poor decisions that have kept Wareham from moving forward. I won't say it will fail miserably, but it does show signs of being a clusterf*ck, and that worries me.

#23 2009-08-06 14:45:07

Apparently I upset "OCrush".  A lot of people had been asking and wondering who our new chief would be.  Liz Pezzoli was already spreading the news that our new chief would not come from within the department.  Liz is a good friend of Brenda, one of our selectmen.  Does it sound like it came from Brenda?  Yes.  Did it? Probably, because the other selectmen don't associate with her.    Moving ahead, it was brought out that our new Chief would be from Andover or N. Andover.  I am a supporter of Wallace as Chief, as I feel he worked his way up through the ranks, continually educating himself and doing the leg work for items needed by the police department.  He followed the directions of his boss, Chief Tom Joyce.  Everyone I know, including myself, that works for a BOSS, does what the boss tells us to do.  No difference with every man or woman in the police department.  I hope every one understands this.  Some of you are not supporters of Lt. Wallace or any other member of the Wareham Police Dept. to be deserving of the Chief's position.  That's fine, you have the right to your opinion.  When we found out that we were going to get a Chief of Police from North Andover, the belief, myself included, was that he was retired or retiring to take this position in Wareham.  Captain Cardalino praised this man to the hilt and asked us to just give him a chance.  Did Paul know that he would not be a full time chief?  It doesn't sound so, but I DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN.  If the BOS had gone to the civil service list for a Chief, why would Chief Stanley even be on that list?  From what I read in the newspaper article from his home town, he was not going to be Wareham's Chief full time and this job would be part time and on his own time.  He stated in the article that he wanted to retire from the No. Andover P.D., and not any time soon.  Isn't anyone the least bit curious?  Now here's where I was called a liar and told that I was making things up, like Slager, but OCrush didn't think that maybe this had been told to  me by someone.  I am sure I can be called a few names that are true, but liar has NEVER been one of them, I am proud to say.  I was told by a very honest and reliable person that the ITA was said to be a very good friend of Chief Stanley.  My unmentioned thought was that if they were such good friends, maybe he was asked to come to Wareham as the IC, by the ITA.  It sounds reasonable.  However honest and reliable as this person who spoke to me is, I wondered if anyone else had heard this - that they were good friends.  Knowing that what I said could possibly be wrong, I STATED that I did not know where to search for the truth about my statement, the statement that was told to me by an honest and reliable person.  I did look up our ITA and he has held numerous jobs, some in the area near Andover.  My statement about not knowing where to search was an open door for anyone else to search for the truth to what I had been told.  I agree that we can disagree, but slinging names at me is something a five year old would do.  I'm sorry for this long message, but I felt that I needed to respond to the wrath of OCrush.  Maybe he just had a bad day.

#24 2009-08-06 20:05:08

Can anyone confirm that the new IPC was down on Maplesprings Road today? And did he stick around long enough to show up at the robbery at Citizens Bank in Stop and Shop? My source tells me that he didn't respond to the robbery, but I would like some confirmation of that, I hope he did. A bank robbery is far more important then the Bindas' personal problem. Also, isn't he charged with UPHOLDING the law? We have already had confirmation from Mass Highway that the speed limit and the commercial vehicle restrictions are illegal.

#25 2009-08-06 20:42:26

I'm disappointed that Paul Shooter didn't come to the bank's rescue with his ninja skills.

#26 2009-08-06 21:10:50

zoo a marked cruiser was on agawam lake shore drive today, a white unmarked with official plates drove down maple springs road today that i saw

#27 2009-08-06 21:47:57

I also heard about the police presence of MSR today, this was quite perplexing to me since I personally spoke to Mass Highway, but then again even the guy at Mass Highway admitted that Wareham has a history of defying them.
When I went to Citizens to make a deposit they were closed, there was one marked Wareham cruiser and two unmarked vehicles that looked like federal government vehicles.
Interestingly enough there were no news crews, it always seems to me that the news is loaded with robberies of banks and convenience stores, so either I was there quite shortly after it happened and the news arrived later or they are just going to not cover an important story such as a group of relatively young women who were robbed in a busy Stop & Shop. The thought of such a violent act in a place I often am with my young child sends chills up my spine.
I hope we all keep the tellers, employees, and citizens who were in there at the time in our prayers, it must have been a frightening experience.

#28 2009-08-06 22:38:05

i have also spoke to mass highway in taunton our district and boston about the speed limit and the commericial ban, the speed limit bothers me the most i personally see 2-5 people passing those going the posted speed limit causing more of a DANGER!!!! yesterday the WPD put out the speed limit trailer with a car counter on it.

#29 2009-08-06 23:51:55

Larry McDonald wrote:

Okay, I"m not going to divulge information, let's just say there were several attempts by a certain group of people to undermine a former chief by attacking Lt's and Sgt's on the force. Obviously it didn't work, but it left a bad taste in the department's mouth. Some left, some retired, and some remain. When I think of a new direction, I think of appointing a full time chief with enough budget to fill key positions and set a new direction. Of course, with economic restraints, I understand that we can't always get what we want, but as a long time manager (executive for the last 5 years), this decision is more likely to cause bigger problems than solve problems. It's hard to split time between to separate entities and not short change one of them.

This decision is indicative of the poor decisions that have kept Wareham from moving forward. I won't say it will fail miserably, but it does show signs of being a clusterf*ck, and that worries me.

I wish you could elaborate a little more on which former chief, etc., but if you don't feel comfortable about it, that's okay, too.   I have to agree with you about a new direction, meaning that your idea is conservative and realistic.  I still am not sure what the BOS mean when they say we need to go in a new direction.  What is their definition?  Have you heard of any list of complaints that they have with the department being run by Lt.(Chief) Wallace?  Or, for that matter, by Tommy Joyce, besides the lawsuits.  I think they are using - the TOMMY JOYCE ERA - as a tool or weapon if you wish.  I also believe that Chief Stanley will be the puppet for the BOS until they get to town meeting and change the civil service orders.  Then they will slide in whoever they want as chief and this chief will take all his orders from our present board of selectmen who have proven already that they cannot run Wareham within the law.  If we have a problem, we can always call on a Senator with our opinion and usually you get a speedy response that you either like or don't.  We can not go to our selectmen during a meeting and get an answer to a question, they do not return phone calls and letter writing is useless.  And...when we do ask a question at meeting, we are usually belittled and end up embarrassed.  The future of the Town of Wareham, as we have known it, is being destroyed by these people we voted into office.  I say it's time we vote them out, fast.    Last week, a very good friend of mine told me that recently he asked a board member why Lt. Wallace wasn't going to be appointed to the Chief's position and he was told that Lt. Wallace didn't want the job.  What a lie.  He also told this member that it was an outright lie.  The board member then told him that Lt. Wallace was going to retire and that's why he wasn't being chosen.  That made him make a few calls and it seems that Lt. Wallace has NO plan to retire.  Imagine that, a BOS member lying - again.

#30 2009-08-07 01:02:01

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

the speed limit bothers me the most i personally see 2-5 people passing those going the posted speed limit causing more of a DANGER!!!! yesterday the WPD put out the speed limit trailer with a car counter on it.

Yuh, I saw Tom Joyce himself standing next to that unit in front of my house on Gibbs. Care to guess how much of the traffic slowed to posted speed?

Oh, want potholes? The chronic manhole crater in the same place sounds like a firework display every year, monsoon permitting, whether the town budgets for it or not. 

KaBOOM, another muffler shop, front-end alignment customer. A local tow operator hauled 5 wrecks from that sinkhole in one hour not long ago, so maybe there's a call box in there. It's big enough. Lose a hubcap? You'll find yours here, reasonably priced.

Repeatedly patched, it's a persistent cold sore and always reerupts. This is wetland. The road was graded during horse and buggy days and never improved since. The town helpfully redirected freight traffic this way after the last plaza expansion and our foundations are cracking.

Plus, of course, Wareham takes top honors among the Commonwealth's most demented motorists!

Ok, never mind.

Last edited by billw (2009-08-07 01:15:58)

#31 2009-08-07 03:28:51

iTS BEEN A WAEEK NOW SINCE THE NEW POLICE CHIEF STARTED IF YOU ARE  A POLICEMAN HAVE YOU MET HIM YET. I TALKED TO  SEVERAL POLICEMAN WHO HAVENT MET HIM YET.

#32 2009-08-07 08:04:55

Born,
I really can't elaborate at this point. I will at a later date. There are several things going on that could be affected by what I say. I really don't know much about the new chief, so he may be the right guy, but when you pass over a long time member of the department that has the respect of the men, there is going to be a level of turmoil that goes with it.

Over the next few weeks, we will see what happens with this arrangement. I really don't like the part time situation, especially with all that is going on this town. It may be a short lived arrangement?

#33 2009-08-07 13:28:15

Larry McDonald wrote:

Born,
I really can't elaborate at this point. I will at a later date. There are several things going on that could be affected by what I say. I really don't know much about the new chief, so he may be the right guy, but when you pass over a long time member of the department that has the respect of the men, there is going to be a level of turmoil that goes with it.

Over the next few weeks, we will see what happens with this arrangement. I really don't like the part time situation, especially with all that is going on this town. It may be a short lived arrangement?

a person riding a bike was hit by a car in front of shaws.  the 1st officer on scene reported priority one head injury - very serious.  In a case of this nature, the chief, Lt.'s, sgt's and photographer are called immediately. The police dispatcher asked if he should call Lt. Wallace at home.  The response was yes.  I do not know how this person made out medically and I hope he is fine, but our Chief should be here to respond to these incidents.  They are called when something like this could lead to a death or permanent injury.

#34 2009-08-07 14:17:30

bornofwareham wrote:

a person riding a bike was hit by a car in front of shaws.  the 1st officer on scene reported priority one head injury - very serious.

I bike through there myself every day, year round, and it's death defying idiocy every time. If I croak before my time, that's where my chalk out line will appear. After five years, I still want to know how Wareham Plaza's RI developers got away with that nightmare.

Forgive the rant but you hit the raw nerve that inspired me to launch this site.

Last edited by billw (2009-08-07 14:18:16)

#35 2009-08-07 18:15:28

this is from the courier north andover says no to his use of that towns transportation but we say yes.. i have a problem with this the vehicle is going to be out of town how many days??? how much $ in gas and repairs(oil tires etc) to me that is $ that could be put into our school or the coa.. what in the hell are the ita&bos thinking??????

"Although the North Andover selectmen did agree to the chief’s request, the approval comes with a number of conditions contained in a memorandum of agreement that was still being drafted this week. Town Manager Mark Rees said conditions include requiring Stanley use weekends and vacation days — likely one per week — for any work done in Wareham, and that he may not use North Andover police vehicles for transportation to and from the town. Stanley said Wareham will be providing him with a cruiser for that purpose"

#36 2009-08-08 01:50:10

billw wrote:

bornofwareham wrote:

a person riding a bike was hit by a car in front of shaws.  the 1st officer on scene reported priority one head injury - very serious.

I bike through there myself every day, year round, and it's death defying idiocy every time. If I croak before my time, that's where my chalk out line will appear. After five years, I still want to know how Wareham Plaza's RI developers got away with that nightmare.

Forgive the rant but you hit the raw nerve that inspired me to launch this site.

I'm glad you answered this.  I was afraid it might be you.  Thank God you are still safe.  That is the most confusing layout of a parking lot I have ever seen.

#37 2009-08-08 13:09:45

billw          were you born in Wareham?  If not, how long have you been residing here?  Are you a professional photographer?  What kind of camera do you use.  Your photos are really nice, give you a little bit of a peacefull feeling amongst the uproar in town.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2009-08-10 00:03:40)

#38 2009-08-08 13:19:56

OCrush wrote:

First of all, "zoo," legally, the Lt. made the only choice he COULD make at the meeting. However, if Brady pushed the issue, the selectmen could have been removed. It was Brady's meeting and he paid for the room. My party and you can stay if I say so. This was never tested, so your point is moot.

As for you, Larry, after reading the Eagle Tribune link, I agree with your opinions. I do believe, however, that the police dept. needs NEW direction. I wish, after reading the article, that more of a Wareham commitment was made. I was led to believe that Chief Stanley was retiring from N. Andover. But, in the end, this is the decision that was made and let's see what happens. Good Luck to Chief Stanley.

"my understanding is" and "I was led to believe" seem to be similar, don't you think?

#39 2009-08-08 13:44:45

When an interim chief position is not posted, how does someone outside of the department know to apply for it?

#40 2009-08-08 14:02:18

ihateliz wrote:

iTS BEEN A WAEEK NOW SINCE THE NEW POLICE CHIEF STARTED IF YOU ARE  A POLICEMAN HAVE YOU MET HIM YET. I TALKED TO  SEVERAL POLICEMAN WHO HAVENT MET HIM YET.

I am not a police officer.  Some of the men I spoke to thought that they might meet him during roll call if he was at the station during their shift. I know that there was a tentative meeting set between the Union Leader for the WPD and the new chief.  No one seems to know if that has already happened or if it is in the near future.  I was told that one officer did meet him and he told brother police officers that he seemed nice and easy to talk to.  I am wondering who brought him to the police dept. to be introduced to his men or did he just walk in?  What are we paying him?  Half of Joyce's pay?  If he is only part time, why isn't Lt. Wallace made P.T. chief, also.  It seems to me that he will be doing all the work he did under Joyce and now he will be doing the same work, plus, plus, plus because Stanley doesn't know the town or the people.  This is not like a job at Dunkin' Donuts where you just step in and have it down pat in a day.  Months will be needed, if not more.  So.........my point being, I guess, is if Lt. Wallace was doing his delegated jobs by Joyce and he was also picking up the slack left by Joyce years before he retired........why isn't he chief material?   And continuing my point............it was stated that when Stanley is not working in Wareham, Lt. Wallace will be continuing to do his same delegated jobs (given to him by Joyce) and will be standing in as Chief for him, but without the title and probably without a pay increase.  (OH, YES, OCRUSH I JUST MADE A STATEMENT ABOUT THE LT'S PAY (PROBABLY WITHOUT A PAY INCREASE) AND I AM NOT PRIVY TO THAT INFORMATION, SO, I COULD BE WRONG.  So right back to my point.  If Lt. Wallace is good enough to run the WPD after Joyce retired and Lt. Wallace is good enough to run the WPD while chief Stanley is being Chief in N. Andover------WHY ISN'T HE GOOD ENOUGH TO BE OUR CHIEF FULL TIME?  Too bad the police officers aren't going to be asked to vote for their trust in Lt. Wallace for Chief and too bad that they are not asked what improvements need to be made in the dept.  WHO WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT SERVE THE TOWN OF WAREHAM AS POLICE OFFICERS?

#41 2009-08-08 14:22:40

I agree.
I can't imagine that the Selectmen or Town Administrator (Interim) or both haven't taken the time to speak to the Police Officers on the street and find out what they want.

#42 2009-08-09 02:41:04

ihateliz wrote:

how many of the policeman have met the the new chief,probably not all of you.

As of Saturday, only a hand full.  He introduced himself to me today.  He seems very personalble.  I told him that I hoped he knew what he was getting into, that the selectmen are certifiable nut cases along with the ITA.  We will see.

#43 2009-08-09 02:42:33

danoconnell wrote:

I agree.
I can't imagine that the Selectmen or Town Administrator (Interim) or both haven't taken the time to speak to the Police Officers on the street and find out what they want.

They are afraid to Dan.  The Dept., with 2 exceptions are for Wallace.

#44 2009-08-09 02:45:40

Hamatron5000 wrote:

When an interim chief position is not posted, how does someone outside of the department know to apply for it?

Maybe because someone called and asked him to do it.  ITA?

#45 2009-08-09 03:06:27

bornofwareham wrote:

billw          were you born in Wareham?

I cured my wanderlust when I resettled here in 2001.

I was conceived at 332 Main Street in 1953, now a home to midwifery, a step removed from its previous incarnation as a funeral parlor.

My folks moved a lot when I was a kid but I developed an early attachment to this place and carried it with me in my better dreams everywhere... clamming up to my knees on a mudflat. There are 3,000 miles of gorgeous between here and the Pacific but none of them rival Wareham.

Tell me, which part(s) of town take your breathe away?

#46 2009-08-09 08:52:34

RUMOR HAS IT THAT O  CRUSH IS A  WAREHAM POLICEMAN

Last edited by ihateliz (2009-08-09 09:25:51)

#47 2009-08-09 12:12:16

danoconnell wrote:

I agree.

Dan, I really hate to say this because it looks like another black mark against the Town of Wareham and I'm not a basher.  But.......the selectment and ITA are incompetent.  It wouldn't occur to them to do this.

#48 2009-08-09 12:29:44

Shame on all of them!

#49 2009-08-09 19:00:28

danoconnell wrote:

Shame on all of them!

The saddest part of this, is that we havent't had a good choice of candidates.  I can see why the good, intelligent people in this town don't have interest in running for office.  Because, being on a board with someone like Bruce and Brenda and even Jane Donahue your words fall on deaf ears.  I can see someone having an agenda, like wanting clean air and water, repairing damaged roads in town, low income housing or not, etc., etc., and I don't have a problem with that at all, I would welcome that, but this board's agenda is to have complete POWER!!!!!   Of course, they should have some power, but not to the point that they won't listen to the people who elected them and everything is CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL.  I never voted for Sarah Woods, but I have to say that she investigated everything before making a decision.  I can remember her meeting with a shellfish grant holder, putting on hip boots and going out in the boat with them so they could educate her on shellfish farming.  Not only was she smart, she was a hands on selectman, not that I agreed with everything she voted on, but she wasn't a control freak and most of all      S H E     L I S T E N E D    !!!!!!   Unfortunately, some people feel that all selectmen are painted with the same brush, so why run for elected office only to be called part of the "Power Elite" when that is a title you don't want.

We don't need young blood.  I would rather vote for someone who has worked hard all his life, paid taxes in Wareham, watched where his money has been spent, is retired and has the time to research what the people in town want or need.  This person would be dedicated to the betterment of Wareham and not in need of ego stroking.  You do NOT need a degree to have experiences in life.  They are out there, we just have to support them to run.  How do you think about this?

#50 2009-08-09 19:36:30

Prior to this bos, there was civility and respect on the board. I agree with bornof. You didn't have to agree with everything the bos members did or how they voted on issues, but I can never recall one time when a citizen was publicly humiliated, when a bos called someone a dim wit, gutless coward or told in public that your husband is supposedly "screwing" around on you--not that I believe any of it, but you get my point. None of those things are civil or respectful.

There will always be differing of opinions, but as citizens, we must demand that at the very least, our elected officials are civil, respectful, and truthful (sue the town---we never said sue the town--I still love that clip we all heard at the meeting--talking about truth--ha ha).

So, I hope three people will step forward--two selectmen and one moderator. It is a lot of work and many hours but the next bos will have to get Wareham back on the right track which will make it easier for future candidates.

#51 2009-08-09 19:46:32

theRAG WILL GO OUT OF ITS WAY TO TURN YOU INTO A NUT AND I GUESS THATS WHY A LOT OF GOOD PEOPLE WOMT RUN , AND A LOT OF GOOD PEOPLE HAVE RUN TAKE FOR EX MR HANEY DEFEATED BY A DIRT THIEF FOR  GODS SAKE.

#52 2009-08-09 19:48:16

Update:
The conversation on the live site is proof positive that the new Chief is a shill of the BOS.
Pay attention!!

#53 2009-08-09 20:04:19

ihateliz wrote:

theRAG WILL GO OUT OF ITS WAY TO TURN YOU INTO A NUT AND I GUESS THATS WHY A LOT OF GOOD PEOPLE WOMT RUN , AND A LOT OF GOOD PEOPLE HAVE RUN TAKE FOR EX MR HANEY DEFEATED BY A DIRT THIEF FOR  GODS SAKE.

That's because too many people ran.  Statistically it was in Sweet Brucie's favor.  You were either for or against Sweet Brucie.  If you were for him, he got your vote.  If you were against Sweet Brucie, the votes were divided among the remaining candidates.

#54 2009-08-09 20:18:13

ihateliz wrote:

RUMOR HAS IT THAT O  CRUSH IS A  WAREHAM POLICEMAN

ocrush, short for orange crush?  Jeez, I haven't had one of those in years.  ocrush - probably initials for how he or she feels.  only cop running under shadow?  officer can't respond under selectmen's Hush-Hush.  I'll be trying to match these initials all night.

#55 2009-08-09 20:42:44

Molly wrote:

Prior to this bos, there was civility and respect on the board. I agree with bornof. You didn't have to agree with everything the bos members did or how they voted on issues, but I can never recall one time when a citizen was publicly humiliated, when a bos called someone a dim wit, gutless coward or told in public that your husband is supposedly "screwing" around on you--not that I believe any of it, but you get my point. None of those things are civil or respectful.

There will always be differing of opinions, but as citizens, we must demand that at the very least, our elected officials are civil, respectful, and truthful (sue the town---we never said sue the town--I still love that clip we all heard at the meeting--talking about truth--ha ha).

So, I hope three people will step forward--two selectmen and one moderator. It is a lot of work and many hours but the next bos will have to get Wareham back on the right track which will make it easier for future candidates.

Thank you, I'm so glad someone agrees with me.  But, mostly, I hope three people deserving of these positions will step forward and bring Wareham back to the respectable town of the past.

#56 2009-08-09 21:17:39

danoconnell wrote:

Update:
The conversation on the live site is proof positive that the new Chief is a shill of the BOS.
Pay attention!!

I'm wondering how long it will be before he realizes this.  I hope he finds out soon and gets pissed enough to go public with what the Bos and ITA are up to in their quest to get rid of civil service at town meeting in order to eliminate Lt. Wallace's chance to be Wareham's Chief of Police.  God works in strange ways, they say.  Maybe this is the reason PT Chief Stanley has been sent to us.  He doesn't appear to be stupid, so if the crew in town hall thinks they can pull the wool over his eyes, they may be sadly mistaken.  I hope.

#57 2009-08-09 21:18:26

Born:
I am not sure why they need to be retired, we have had several very good candidates over the past few years who lost and that has cost us tax payers in many ways from loss of services to declined property values.

#58 2009-08-09 21:19:34

Mixie wrote:

ihateliz wrote:

That's because too many people ran.  Statistically it was in Sweet Brucie's favor.  You were either for or against Sweet Brucie.  If you were for him, he got your vote.  If you were against Sweet Brucie, the votes were divided among the remaining candidates.

True, I almost forgot that.

#59 2009-08-09 21:53:32

iliveinazoo wrote:

Born:
I am not sure why they need to be retired, we have had several very good candidates over the past few years who lost and that has cost us tax payers in many ways from loss of services to declined property values.

I didn't mean that they HAD to be retired, but I was trying to get across that a retired person would probably have more time on their hands to spend on research, etc.   But, I do feel that someone, maybe in that age group has the life experiences that a younger person hasn't had.  I am not denouncing a young person in politics, either.  A mature person, maybe retired, has views and personal experiences and most likely would not be seeking the publicity as some of our younger candidates have.  As I age, I see things much differently, think things thru a little longer and weigh the differences.  I do agree with your statement as I have had hopes of certain candidates who unfortunatly lost and watched the winners pull Wareham down.  Some 30 year olds are very mature and some 60 year olds are foolish.  I guess it comes down to a careful blend.  They are out there.  We need to find the right ones and give them a nudge and our support.  I hope you understand what I mean.

#60 2009-08-09 22:42:43

billw wrote:

bornofwareham wrote:

billw          were you born in Wareham?

I cured my wanderlust when I resettled here in 2001.

I was conceived at 332 Main Street in 1953, now a home to midwifery, a step removed from its previous incarnation as a funeral parlor.

My folks moved a lot when I was a kid but I developed an early attachment to this place and carried it with me in my better dreams everywhere... clamming up to my knees on a mudflat. There are 3,000 miles of gorgeous between here and the Pacific but none of them rival Wareham.

Tell me, which part(s) of town take your breathe away?

That would have been Stott's, correct?

So hard to answer with all of the changes in town.  Homes where fields were.  Old homes losing their beauty.  Growing up in a heavily wooded part of town, with few homes in the area, I learned to find beauty in nature.  I loved low tide and walking thru the tall grass of the marshes in the Agawam River area.    I loved the peacefulness of the river from behing the old railroad station behind the center of town.  The Tobey Homestead, when nurses stayed there - always took my breath away and when I see it now I remember how I felt as a child, each time I saw it.  It's stature I guess.  The old Public Library on High Street had a style of its own and when I would enter it as a youngster I would be mesmerized by the fireplace and the polished tables and I just loved Mrs. Reed, the librarian.  As we would drive up Tihonet Road I would ask my Dad to slow down because I loved the water with tree branches hanging over it just before the entrance to the village.  Any season it has a certain beauty that captures me.  Ice skating on Mill Pond, which as a child seemed to go on for miles, with bushes hanging over the edges could take my breath away.  Our town hall, with those polished floors that you couldn't walk on with shoes without making a clicking sound and it's beautiful auditorium, with its balcony and the long red drapes on the windows and the stage.  Beauty that should be brought back to life instead of boxes of junk piled high.  The bluffs along Onset Beach and Wicket's Island still move me.  Maybe surprising to everyone, but the old horse shoe mill in So. Wareham where you could only dream what parts of the building (some was still there) once held and while the smelt were running, hearing the water rushing by and wondering where the Indians must have camped, looking for arrowheads.  It is so different now.  From the dam beside the Tremont Nail Factory you could see almost over to Parkwood Beach - there was a different Narrows Bridge then.  Almost all of my sites that took my breath away were when we would drive through the dirt roads through the miles and miles of bogs, seeing baby foxes and deer.  Watching grape vines that would climb the highest trees.  Cranberry picking time was one of my favorite times, especially when there was a frost and the sprinklers would start and all you could see would be frozen white circles on the bogs.  I have tons of pics of flowers, icey cranberries, birds and trees.  Wow,  I guess I just love nature and it's unending beauty which takes my breath away.

#61 2009-08-09 23:10:09

i loved the old library it was like a room out of a castle with the huge stained glass window.. truely dreamy.. ernie precourt and his horse sandy on lincoln hill(main and hathaway).. dr lincoln and his model t with the rumble seat.. just a few other cool memories i have..

#62 2009-08-09 23:13:10

ihateliz wrote:

according to slager they had coffee and chewed the fat and exchanged cell #s for an hour today before the cv festival and he was OFF the clock i asked..

#63 2009-08-09 23:15:36

Did he introduce the chief with the Paul Shooter puppet?

#64 2009-08-09 23:31:28

not sure he made no reference to paul.. but maybe he was hiding on his foot? in his pocket? in his pants? in his jacket pocket it was cool today jacket weather..

#65 2009-08-10 08:27:50

Wonderfully written Bornof...brings back fond memories.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com