#1 2009-07-17 08:35:39

My significant other suggested this very idea to me a few weeks ago. He wanted to place an order for signs and distribute them. With the current retalitory Board of Selectmen I was concerned that people would not be willing to place them on their lawns out of fear for retribution and I thought he'd be wasting a lot of money. If you honestly think that people would step up to the plate and put signs on their lawns, then this mechanism could be the catalyst to wake up non-interested voters and get them to realize that Wareham is in the worst state it has ever been.

#2 2009-07-17 08:41:24

I would certainly put a sign up. I will say, that where I live there are not too many people that would see it and even less that are registered voters.
Hopefully others with better locations would consider putting signs up.

#3 2009-07-17 09:23:06

maturevoter,
People will place the signs in their yards, and if not, they will notice the signs and support the cause through voting. We need to reach as many people as possible. I understand about the nature of these Selectmen and have been contacted by a number of citizens that want to remain anonymous but support the cause.

I think it is a wonderful idea.

#4 2009-07-17 09:28:25

My location is also not the greatest but I'm sure I could get
50 to 100 sign locations.
What would the sign say ?

#5 2009-07-17 09:31:47

Sounds like a good idea.  I think people will put them up.  Alot of "Save Our Library" signs are still up now as a form of protest because the BOS were so pissed off by them they made efforts to get people to take them down.

I had thought of making Sweet Brucey paraphenalia - possibly bumper stickers, but along Mature's concern, I was afraid people wouldn't put them on their cars for fear that it would be an invite to a Hypocrite Elitist to smash your car up while you were in a store or something.

Signs might be different.  People (well, most people) know they're in big trouble if they go on another's property, whereas BOS supporters might have no problem scratching your car while you're in a store because they figure they'll be quick and won't be caught.

I don't know.  I've heard this out there alot actually for the past few years - people with ideas to make anti-BOS paraphenalia only to stop from fear that it would invite retaliation so why waste the money.

#6 2009-07-17 09:43:27

How about "A New Wareham starts today!"

#7 2009-07-17 10:03:11

I like "Save our Town".

#8 2009-07-17 10:05:29

Taj

I like "Save our Town"

#9 2009-07-17 10:09:22

I like 'save our town' too.  The connotation of SOT is that it takes citizens to do this.  The YOU is implied.  You save our town while 'A New wareham Starts Today' is upbeat and inspirational, it doesn't seem to have an urgency to it.  It implys that things are changing without the help of others.

#10 2009-07-17 10:11:24

I like it too! Count me in ! Good points Mixie.

#11 2009-07-17 10:25:47

Wasn't "Save our Town" the same slogan suggested by BOS supporters when those blue signs first started popping up all over the place last fall? I believe that a few of those signs were actually defaced with "town" hand written over "library"...Glad to see we're all finally getting with the program...

#12 2009-07-17 11:39:10

Clearly we would not be saving the town for the same reasons as some who might think this is a good idea.

The sign would need to say something like

SAVE OUR TOWN

THE CURRENT BOS MUST GO

OR

SAVE OUR TOWN

FROM ITS PUBLIC OFFICIALS

It's not quite right yet, but you get my thinking? We need something to explain what is meant by save our town. Other ideas?

We must be specific enough so that bos supporters--and we know who they are---will get the picture. Then in April--find candidates for the three people running and recall jane and brenda. Sounds like a plan.

#13 2009-07-17 11:47:56

How about:     " TAKE BACK WAREHAM'

Makes sense and no one will confuse it for support for the current BOS.
By the way, there are only two openings for the BOS in April. Replace two, get Mr. Cruz and someone else on your side, and you have a very strong BOS.
What is lacking on the BOS now is a leader. Maybe one of the incumbents will work with you.

#14 2009-07-17 12:10:04

The third person who will be running for reelection is the moderator and he must go as well. Town meeting chaos must stop.

#15 2009-07-17 12:14:30

Take back Wareham is a good suggestion.  As the goal is to take Wareham back from these unscrupulous BOS members, it's too negetative to make comments about current members.  I think that will alienate voters.  The best approach is to stay as positive as possible while still getting the message out.

#16 2009-07-17 12:26:58

I agree Mixie. We know what has happened under the current regime and we have evidence of their behavior. It is much better to run a positive campaign and avoid the trap of constantly berating the opponent.

We also need to bring the message that is okay to step out of the shadows and support the "Take back Wareham" movement.

#17 2009-07-17 12:30:28

Hey, wasn't Susan Williams-Gifford employed at one time as a marketing consultant?  Perhaps she would be willing to help out.

#18 2009-07-17 12:34:44

Save Your Town would get the non-involved interested.

Take Back Wareham does the same.

#19 2009-07-17 12:53:04

Consider including the URL of THIS website so people who don't already know about it can find it.

Once the signs go up then if they have warehamobserver.com on them make sure there is a clear explanation on the main page.

You could also put an ad for THIS website in Slager's paper and on HIS website... or you could try.

BTW, you know what is really stupid? I tried clicking on the ads of his free website and you get the "Sorry - Access to this content is restricted.
Please visit our membership store to purchase your membership today" message.

Wouldn't it make sense to tell advertisers that the links they connect to their ads will work on both the paid and free websites?

#20 2009-07-17 12:59:17

Take Back Wareham is good. But keep in mind that the great majority of Wareham reads neither the Courier not the ST to get current news of what is going on in town. The same 150-200 people attend town meeting, and a dismal number actually votes.

So, there has to be some explanation---a web site address on the sign and a site with information about what has happened etc. I agree that being positive is good, but you also have to be aggressive to win against the current cast of characters. Good candidates have lost against these jokers because they were civil and played nice instead of being ruthless and manipulating a worthless tabloid in town.

The signs will really get people to take notice. And if they learn how mis-used their taxes have been, the many frivolous law suits, the rude and inconsiderate treatment of citizens by some of the bos, the incompetent ITA, the library debacle etc. Well, I could go on here, but you get the picture.

#21 2009-07-17 13:10:24

How about adding an announcement for a raffle to the sign?  People could sign on and then register for the raffle.

#22 2009-07-17 13:50:53

You GO!!!
Everything said is wonderful.
Use your energy. Get together. Run a team under the "Take Back Wareham" slogan.
This web site, all of your e-mail contacts, friends and family will certainly be overwhelming on election day.
You will come out of oblivion and achieve success.
But, be careful of what you wish...it may come true.
Look at what the Charter Review Committee is doing. Read their minutes, and get ready to have to decide how you should govern Wareham.
I am so happy to read all of your responses and the enthusiasm that is being generated.
GO!!!

#23 2009-07-17 14:09:24

commonsense wrote:

Save Your Town
Take Back Wareham

#24 2009-07-17 14:26:12

On second thought, register a new website address - using this would be too confusing.

Organizing a PAC soon would enable you to start raising funds.

#25 2009-07-17 14:28:45

I'm partial to the sign on Maple Springs Road - How bout some "THE BOS ARE IDIOTS" signs?

#26 2009-07-17 14:35:23

danoconnell, I want to say I appreciate what I've seen from your posts. I think if you were running for office, I'd vote for you tomorrow. Your sound advice and go get 'em attitude is what we need. So thanks.
Also, if anyone has interest in discussing a way to put a plan in action, let me know. I like the idea of working together toward maybe programming on WCTV, or possibly fliers that say "BE HEARD, WAREHAMOBSERVER.COM" (w/ BillW's permision, of course). Let's see this through.

#27 2009-07-17 14:52:08

Stop Sweet Brucie
Take Back Wareham

#28 2009-07-17 15:17:55

GO!!!
"TAKE BACK WAREHAM" says it all. As a consultant, I steer you toward that slogan.
No names. No personalities. Only facts...Take back YOUR Town.
Now...get two candidates to run under the slogan. Get behind them...None of the developers, special interest groups, "bank-rollers", etc., can can outspend what this site alone can do.
GO!!

#29 2009-07-17 21:19:21

BillW at his finest: Stop Sweet Brucie is an instant classic!!!

#30 2009-07-17 22:02:33

I love the idea and I will put up a sign, although my street doesn't get much traffic!

#31 2009-07-17 22:17:21

I will do the same and I don't even live in Wareham.

#32 2009-07-20 23:57:56

I first moved here in 1971, as a 7 year old service brat, with my father stationed at Otis, I grew up here, went to school here, worked here, and lived away for a short time but moved back, and I have been here since 1998. I live in the second house in Wareham I have bought, and am raising my family here.
I am horribly disgusted with the direction in which this town is going.
I have always been taught, and believed that if you don't like what is happening, change it.
In my adult life I have been a mechanic, a police officer, a soldier, an engineer, a teacher,a husband, and a father.
Two very important BOS seats are up in April.
I have been approached by about a dozen or more people to seek one of those seats.
Let's see if they can convince me the rest of the way, I'm 99% there.

#33 2009-07-28 00:26:48

How about "TAKE back YOUR TOWN" ?

#34 2009-07-28 23:15:06

billw wrote:

commonsense wrote:

Save Your Town
Take Back Wareham

LOVE THE BUMPER STICKER!!

#35 2009-07-29 08:37:43

I live on Maple Springs Road and would place a sign in my yard. I also have other people willing to place signs in their yard. I actually like the color scheme and Slogan!

#36 2009-07-29 09:14:16

I'm on Onset Ave count me and my neighbors in

#37 2009-07-29 13:16:56

WILL THEY BE AVAIBLE AT THUS MEETING FOR US TO BUY ,I WILL BUY ONE.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com