#1 2009-07-25 09:31:47

I have received so many responses to my idea of writing about the history of Onset/Wareham politics as I lived it, that I decided to write this series. I call it a series because it will be long and extensive and should be broken down into segments so that people can respond to the writings, ask questions, hopefully provide reminisces of their own lives during the times I write about, and continue on as time warrants and it is practical.
First, let me say that what you are going through now is what we went through in the late 1960's into the changes to the Charter in 1977. We beat the system then but lost in 1977 to the point that many of us, including me, decided that we couldn't fight or win anymore. We didn't have the money, and some of us didn't have the patience or strength to continue on. I moved to Florida, some got out of politics and stayed in Wareham, and some stayed in political office but were beat down so much they have probably regretted it.
If this site had existed then, I can guarantee you the "good guys" would have won and I probably would have stayed longer to fight knowing that we had a chance to win.
You do. This site and your enthusiasm and ability to reach thousands of Wareham voters and citizens is the most powerful tool you could ever have, and you will come to realize it as long as you control yourselves, your direction, your vision of the future and your ability to be civil and knowledgeable. Anyone can tell you what the problems are...it takes someone with answers to resolve the problems in order to change things.
You can't do it with ranting (Although I think that this site is great for people who want to blow off steam to have a forum, remembering they must conduct themselves with dignity in public. I would have loved to be the dignified Selectman in the public eye, and wanting to express my need to kick ass on this site.) Blow off steam, but, not at your meetings that are open to the public. If you are arrogant, abrasive, hateful, throw out personal attacks ,and not conduct yourselves with civility, you will lose and will not have the credibility to regain footing. In public, be knowledgeable, committed to your cause, able to defend your positions, have your facts together and keep quiet when the need calls for silence. Remember, even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut.
So we begin:
I was born in Tobey Hospital on Father's Day 1945. My father was a soldier returning from the South Pacific theatre, stationed at Camp Edwards(Otis AFB), and my  mother was a part time clerk working at the Onset Post Office under the direction of my aunt who was Postmistress of Onset.
For the first five years of my life, we lived as an extended family with my maternal grandparents on West Central Ave. in Onset about three house from the bluffs to the beach.
A lot of families in those days lived together because of the War and they were still reeling from the depression.
Onset was an idyllic place, in retrospect, then. The air and water were pure and clean. Neighbors relied on each other and protected each other. I grew up next door to families with children that were not only my playmates, but later my school mates, friends, supporters and life long members of the fraternity of what would be called "baby boomers", appreciative for what we had then, and probably thought could never end.
Onset and Wareham were the typical tourist destinations of many people. In the summer, thousands of folks came to live in Onset and Wareham. Places like Swifts Beach, Onset Beach, Weweantic shores, etc., were refuge for families that escaped the rigors and heat of the cities and were communities unto themselves.
People were respectful and appreciative. They took care of their own problems. Kids got into trouble more with their parents than any outsiders. God forbid that a neighbor or friend would say something to your parents about your behaviour that they considered unacceptable. I was more afraid of my father than I ever was of the Police or anyone else. I knew that is I stepped out of line, acted with disrespect, or caused embarrassment to my family, I may as well have committed suicide instead of going through what would be the wrath of my old man.
Truth is, we were respectful, considerate and aware of each others needs.
Neighbors watched over all of the kids. Doors were never locked. "What if someone needs help in the middle of the night?" my mother would say.
We were protected by our parents from the outside World. We never heard of rapes or murders or anything else that might frighten children. We certainly didn't experience the crime that large cities and towns went through. Of course, none of us appreciated what our lives were like until we grew older and understood the reasons for our parents insistence of being good citizens and productive members of society, regardless of the size of our town.
Wareham was founded and successful because of a few families that settled our town and had a vision for the future.
The Beatons, Hammonds, Makepeaces', Bournes', and other older families provided jobs and income to the town that should be recognized and appreciated for a lifetime.
The Tobeys', Spinneys' and others contributed to the cultural aspects of the town,and they left legacies that can never be duplicated.
In Part II, we'll discuss politics in the days following the War until the 1960's.
Please share with us any of the stories you may have before I begin the next section.

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-07-25 15:36:44)

#2 2009-07-25 21:22:47

Biffy tell the truth , you were the biggest politician and bull shitter that ever lived, and I see it has not changed. Even as a cop you always worked the desk.

#3 2009-07-25 23:54:32

Only when I was studying for exams at BSC.
I recall I could have kicked your ass at any time then when I was 30 years younger. I can imagine you are about 70 pounds heavier with shit flab that you always carried, and at 64,  6'1", 175 lbs. I could still kick your fat ass.
Remember what I used to tell you...the less you talk the less people know how stupid you are.
Retire before you drop over dead at the wheel of a Town owned vehicle and embarrass the Town.
Better yet, take over the Crime Watch job. It'll be right up your alley.
Keep shooting your mouth off and it may be worth me taking a trip up to Wareham to demonstrate what I mean.

#4 2009-07-26 07:18:17

Two questions for capt c:

First, capt c, are you really Paul or just using his name in the yahoo email address?

Second, what is your issue with Dan O'Connell?

Two questions for Dan:

What does who could beat up whom have to do with anything?

Do you realize that making a threat of physical harm may be illegal?

One question for either of you:

Is capt. c still working for the town and is so what is he doing?

#5 2009-07-26 07:27:21

GWB

dano- You and Capt C sound like you have quite a history. I do have to let the proverbial cat out of the bag though. Capt C retired from the Wareham P.D. a few years back. Just thought you would like to know. Not that either of you will listen  to me but if you could at least have this little sparring match by way of P.M. it would be appreciated.

#6 2009-07-26 07:27:45

I got the impression that these guys are just, to use a Sopranos phrase, "breaking each others' balls."

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-07-26 07:28:30)

#7 2009-07-26 07:43:02

So just a quickie... this isn't someone spoofing and pretending to be Capt. C?

#8 2009-07-26 08:23:47

Hamatron5000 has it right( at least on my side). I have always been able to push CaptC's buttons and always enjoyed doing it.
I will assume that it may be the Cpt. C i knew.
To be honest with you, he was a good cop. I didn't agree with him a lot, but, who cares? He did his job and did it well. I am happy for his success, whether he is still working or retired. I do, and always have, supported the members of the WPD, which I will discuss in the next few segments of this post of the politics of Wareham.
Yes...we are busting each other's nuts.
This distraction is only that.
I'll concentrate on providing the articles that I promised. You all please continue to look forward to the future, get organized, and be successful.
If CaptC and I need to communicate, we will do it privately.(At least I will).

#9 2009-07-26 08:36:34

Thanks Dan... I'm glad there's a bit of ball busting in the exchange with Paul which is typical of cop talk makes me think it is the real Capt. C. Since he's now a part of all this having talked to the real press it's good he's also following the posts here. I hope he adds his opinion in addition to taking potshots at you.

Your first installment is good and obvious took some time to write. I enjoyed reading it.

I'm looking forward to more. I have close friends who are Wareham born and bred and have a heard a lot of stories, but getting a written history with personal insights and anecdotes is always valuable.

There will be thread drift of course. Perhaps once you're done you can put it togther and post it under one topic.

#10 2009-07-26 08:45:35

Thank you for the kind words, urneighbor. I would love for some of the born and bred folks you know to post their memories on this post. I agree there may be drifting, but knowing commnsense and billw, they will put an end to it and place the statements in a proper side forum.
Once again thank you. I am enjoying remembering the "old days" and I look forward to continuing the series.
Once again, thank you for your kind words.

#11 2009-07-26 15:18:45

GWB

ok I will take you 2 at your word then. As long as it is all in good fun.

#12 2009-07-26 23:50:11

Real Good.  I'm just under you in age and was also born at Tobey.  I've lived here all my life and I just love my town.  I want to take it back.  We never locked doors and everyone knew who our parents were so we'd better not get in any trouble.  We all knew who the police officers were and they knew who we belonged to.  Gallerani, Bourne's, Pezzoli - to name just a few police officers.  I am waiting..............for the rest of the story.

#13 2009-07-27 08:20:32

Thank you. I am going to write the next installment soon. As my wife pointed out, I didn't really offer any opportunity to respond. I just wrote background. Next we will speak about the old Selectmen and Police Officers that you, bornofwareham, referred to.

#14 2009-07-27 12:43:17

Like Bob Tassineri, Frank Cutler, etc?   Waiting for it.

#15 2009-07-27 13:38:08

I am many years away from Bob Tassineri, Buddy Cleveland, etc. Thank you so much for your interest. I hope the new post I just put on will stimulate some memories for you, and hopefully provide us with information from you and your family.
Thank you for being involved.

#16 2009-07-27 13:59:10

I think I probably have too many memories already - almost all good, though.  One fun thing was jumping off the piers into the river at Besse Park.  I was shooed away by the police many times but they knew us and knew we'd be back after they left.  Of course the piers are gone, the police are different (they can't possibly name everyone in town now) and as an adult I was told how lucky we were that we didn't get hung up on some of the junk that was down there.  We broke the rule.  Coleman would have had a heart attack not being able to give us parking tickets, we walked everywhere.
SMILE!

#17 2009-07-27 14:30:13

Thank you. That is the type of thing that will bring a smile to all of us. Especially those who "broke the rules".
Please keep contributing. I think it is important to know where the passion comes from by those who want to preserve and restore what we had. History is our teacher.

#18 2009-07-27 15:19:22

I remember when dogs ruled Wareham and were better known than their keepers.

#19 2009-07-27 15:37:06

You slay me, man...

#20 2009-07-27 17:48:41

Rex, one of a litter of mutts born where I live now in Fred Doll's house, adopted the Thorton Gibbs household up the street in the middle 50s.

The Gibbs kids were leaving the nest, though, and in time, Rex grew bored dozing by the door, waiting to lunch the letter carrier. That's how Ernie Precourt met Rex, attached to his right calf. At 99, Ernie still has the scar.

Before long, Rex was tailing Ernie the length of his route every day and it got harder at quitting time to send him home. Thorton Gibbs solved that problem by suggesting  Rex earned his table scraps now and Ernie ought to keep him.

That mongrel mutt wandered everywhere from Parkwood to Cromesett and his demon spawn are still with us. True, now they lead lives of leash law oppression like the rest of us.

Last edited by billw (2009-07-28 19:27:48)

#21 2009-07-27 18:40:51

Bill W...
My goodness! I haven't heard Fred Doll's name for 50 years.
I'd be interested in knowing who you are and who your family is. You can't be a "newbie", dropping names like that.
Thanks for contributing to the memories...

#22 2009-07-27 19:01:56

I can picture Mr. Precourt walking his route.  What a nice man.  I'm feeling nostalgic just thinking of those years and it was when I was younger because I walked everywhere.  Mr. Doll, his intimidating looks at 5th and 6th graders were scary until we realized he was a teddy bear.  Oh, don't be fooled, if one of the boys did wrong he would grab them by the scruff of their neck and lift them off the floor - TO MY OFFICE, NOW!   Oh, God......George Coleman would have another heart attack because of "CRUELTY'' to children and no way to give him a ticket!  I was a good kid, but my mother's hand found my butt more than I liked.  I deserved it, I'm sure.  Thus bringing on this problem I have as an adult.  I respect, acknowledge (no matter how rich or poor or their color) and treat people the way I would like to be treated.  I had great parents and grew up in a good community when we had morals and values.  Shouting matches and degrading comments from a selectman would be down right shameful.

#24 2009-07-27 20:03:50

Oh, Bill W...
What a mystery you are. I recognize many of the names. Did you attend Tabor Academy with my cousin, David Sullivan?
Thanks for the contribution.

#25 2009-07-27 20:26:31

I remember Mr. Doll at Wareham Intermediate School.
I left onset Elementary, and heard all of the stories about him.
I was terrified for the first few days, looking for the gun he was supposed to have carried in the class room.
Of course, he was a very nice man. As long as you gave him the respect he deserved, you never had any problem,.
I recall he had a handicap of some kind to one of his arms... kind of a Bob Dole thing.
I recall we were all eager to attend Wareham Junior High School which had just been built attached to the High School.

#26 2009-07-27 20:54:18

Hey Biff, this is the one and only at age  62, and 20 pound lighter than after my two tours in Nam, Retirement is great. Oh by the way I don't think I qualify to fill Coleman's shoes. I am sure that you are aware that Chief Besse pasted away. The Town is so bad after 7 years of retirement they offered me a two and a half year appointment as chief. That how bad they are. When they took the benefits away from the BOS, that what you get ego hungry bubbleheads.

#27 2009-07-27 21:18:56

Great to hear from you Paul. You must look pretty good.I had a chance to see Freddy and Barbara for the last few years. I saw them before Barbara passed away, and missed seeing Freddy by a couple of weeks before he passed.
I think they probably need you as Chief, but I also understand why you wouldn't want to have anything to do with it.
I hope you help these folks take back the Town. Your experiences and knowledge is invaluable to them.
By the way, let me tell you something that a guy at the VA Hospital said to me a few months ago for the first time:   Welcome home, brother. Thanks for your service.
Best wishes. I'll be looking forward to your posts.

#28 2009-07-28 06:26:15

Paul, did you get my email and PM?

#29 2009-07-28 18:54:49

I  never had a problem, at least I thought until I retired. To much time to think, I attend three groups each week. It was  hard to get started. The BOS is out of control. They have no right to just lower a speed limit and close a road. They must go through the state. I can only believe that  their political in,back door Barney can bail their asses out.

#30 2009-07-28 19:01:16

hey urneighbor, this is really me and one must understand Power Corrupts- Absolute Power which the almighty BOS think they have REALLY CORRUPTS.

#31 2009-07-28 19:17:16

You know, just for everyone's information, Capt C is one of my heroes. I don't know what is going on with him, but I will tell you that this man gave his youth to the United States Of America.
He served two tours in Viet-Nam, and dedicated his young life to the Town of Wareham as well.
I remember him as a "rookie" (at least to me). But, when I think back on the other guys who came home from Viet-Nam and served us in Wareham: "Chippy" Hammond, Ted Weigandt, and of course Paul, I think how grateful I am to them and how much I appreciate them all.
We were young when we worked together, and all of us change over the many decades since, but my fondness for Paul ( as much as I like to bust his balls and always have), and my admiration will never die.
Once again, thank you brother.

#32 2009-07-28 20:01:45

P.S. Don't tell him I said what I did. He won't be able to get his big head through a door!

#33 2009-07-28 22:17:49

danoconnell wrote:

I remember Mr. Doll at Wareham Intermediate School.
I left onset Elementary, and heard all of the stories about him.
I was terrified for the first few days, looking for the gun he was supposed to have carried in the class room.
Of course, he was a very nice man. As long as you gave him the respect he deserved, you never had any problem,.
I recall he had a handicap of some kind to one of his arms... kind of a Bob Dole thing.
I recall we were all eager to attend Wareham Junior High School which had just been built attached to the High School.

Mr. Doll had polio when he was younger.

#34 2009-07-28 22:21:29

capt c wrote:

Hey Biff, this is the one and only at age  62, and 20 pound lighter than after my two tours in Nam, Retirement is great. Oh by the way I don't think I qualify to fill Coleman's shoes. I am sure that you are aware that Chief Besse pasted away. The Town is so bad after 7 years of retirement they offered me a two and a half year appointment as chief. That how bad they are. When they took the benefits away from the BOS, that what you get ego hungry bubbleheads.

No problem with Capt. C. for chief, but what about Wallace.  He's been doing the chief's job for years anyway.  He also has a law degree which he could use as leverage when one of the BOS want to sue someone.  He'd be able to show them the probable outcome, being.....you'll lose.

#35 2009-07-28 22:26:19

capt c wrote:

hey urneighbor, this is really me and one must understand Power Corrupts- Absolute Power which the almighty BOS think they have REALLY CORRUPTS.

I like that. How true P.C.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com