#1 2009-07-17 09:33:48

I have some very ambivalent feelings about a recall election and wonder if others share my concerns.

Let’s assume that there is no recall.   Instead, we organize, we build grass-roots support, we find viable candidates and we get people out to vote in April.   It might be possible to replace, Bruce, Cronan, and John Donahue. 

This would mean that I no longer have to listen to that terrible throat-clearing noise Bruce makes every time he speaks, and his reign of terror would end.  However, the BOS would consist of the two new selectmen, Jane, Brenda and Walter Cruz.  Walter Cruz would be the swing vote.  How is that progress?  Would anything ever get accomplished?

Does anyone have a vision of how we restructure the BOS so that it functions to meet Wareham's needs?

#2 2009-07-17 11:06:38

I also believe we should focus on the April election. Once sweet Brucey and Cronan are replaced, we can then focus our efforts, recalling Jane and Brenda.
I think it is really important right now to find two candidates  who can beat sweet Brucey and Cronan. I hope Cara Winslow will run again. I would be willing to help the candidates with money or with stuffing envelopes. We have to start the ground swell now, so that by April we will have a Tsunami.

#3 2009-07-17 11:14:49

Cruz is the swing vote??..mr and Mrs Moderator got him elected, therefore he ows it to them to vote their way..partisan politics at its finest, courtesy of your Democrtatic Town Committee!!!Why not vote two out in April then recall the remaining three blind mice??

#4 2009-07-17 11:36:23

Neither am I in favor of a recall.  A good start would be two strong candidates who could hold their own against Jane and brockton Brenda.  Brockton Brenda might not even want to stay on without her partner in crime.
There needs to be a good candidate to run against Donahue.  He has always been elected by default.  Eliminating those 3 will really shape the tone of a new BOS.

#5 2009-07-17 13:20:53

You need a majority of good people on the BOS. I assume you have a five person BOS  so you need three. Getting two on will do no good.

To get the three you need, I suggest recalling someone who isn't running in April and having the recall before the regular election. Then there would be three vacancies in April.

You should be up front with the press that it is your intention to replace three people on the board in April. I don't think you must address who will if the recall fails beyond that you will run two of the three for the vacant seats.

Obviously you must find the three best candidates and announce their candidacy for those seats.

As soon as allowed they should take papers out.

Form and register as a political action committee. Give it a good name. WIGG, PAC (Wareham Independents for Good Government, PAC for example)

Write a statement of philosophy and goals for the PAC similar to a political party platform.

Make sure you pick independent thinkers so you won't be accused of trying to have a BOS marching in lock-step with each other. Say that this is why you are trying to get a majority on the BOS.

Begin to raise funds and start campaigning.

I suggested before getting your own cable show to air after the BOS meeting.

This will all be news and will be covered by the real papers. Slager would be hard pressed to ignore this.

Obvously the more free publicity you get the better.

#6 2009-07-17 15:35:41

Great ideas.  Isn't it in the town charter that a recall cannot be held close to the real election?  Do we have to wait until after the April election for a recall?  I'm asking-I don't understand the procedure.

#7 2009-07-17 16:07:43

i would support a recall. In my opinion, change is way overdue. Waiting until April seems far away, with the possibilities of not gaining a majority and/or losing on election day. We'll then be in it even deeper.

#8 2009-07-17 17:57:49

I have to say, up until today, I was on the fence about a recall.  I wondered if maybe it would be a better strategy to wait until April 2010, figuring it would easy to win against the gruesome twosome of a dirt thief and a tax deadbeat.  But after today's events, it is starting to look like every day this current board remains in office is another day when lives of Wareham residents are put in jeopardy.  Their incompetence is stunning.

#9 2009-07-17 19:56:22

What will be left of Wareham in April?

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com