#1 2009-02-07 12:28:23

I heard that George claims to be a retired police officer.  I also hear  that it is a lie. I heard his work history in law enforcement was very short lived.  Does anyone know the details.  I  guess he was ruthless in trying to write as many parking tickets as possible Maybe a power hungry wannabe?

Last edited by commonsense (2009-02-08 16:33:46)

#2 2009-02-07 13:26:06

allegedly there is a boston police dept archived report from the early eighties (circa oct 23 1985?) about of an arrest for solicitation of prostitution.  i dont know if this explains his work history or not but my understanding is that he was never a full time officer in the first place.

all i know is that he claims he answers to the board of selectman and he is the posterchild for ill will in a tourist community

#3 2009-02-07 14:27:04

Oneear He Was Never A Full Time Police Officer. He Was A Part Time Officer. He Probably Never Made An Arrest. He Was Let Go The Same Time The Prostitution Incident. He Claims Though He Is A Retired Police Officer. This Guy Went On A Power Hungery Trip Over Parking Tickets!!!! Obviously He Was Never A Real Cop If He Got A Thrill Over Writing Parking Tickets.

#4 2009-02-08 16:38:48

You're taking about Mr. Coleman of Onset Crime Watch, right?  I've heard that his own organization is fed up with him.  They think that he's out of control too.

Rumor has it that at one point, George was pushing for a warrant article in which crime watch would receive a portion of the revenue from the parking tickets they wrote to pay for fuel, rent, and operations.

If that was the case, it would explain why all the tickets were being issued.  I think they were still getting some funding from the town for rent and fuel either way.

Don't forget The Rag deemed him a "real hero"

Last edited by commonsense (2009-02-08 16:40:34)

#5 2009-02-08 17:50:57

Can the town give him money to operate his  cop wannabe force ?    There is no money. Town employees are facing possible layoffs.  There are cuts everywhere. Yet there is money to pay this guy to drive around and write parking tickets. I've seen him going to dinner with his wife at the Narrows in the crime watch car.  The town pays for that gas.  I think the money would be better spent somewhere else.

#6 2009-02-11 19:14:47

Monday night about 430pm I saw the crime watch car going threw Onset toward Cranberry Hwy. Do they still function in the winter or was George on a personal errand ? Or maybe cruisin' for company.......

#7 2009-02-11 22:58:58

i saw him or i think it was him in that car at 10 in the morning the week of new years shopping  at walmart.  i didnt know there was an issue here but my brother claims that some time ago this guy used to visit his mother everyday at a nursing home in bourne and was only in this car.   i dont think she is with us anymore as my brother does not see the car anymore

#8 2009-02-19 16:57:33

Hey George maybe someone will address your work history as a  " retired " cop.  Or your  alleged hooker incident. You short fat fuckin asshole.   Your wife must be proud.  Remember George we all know......

#9 2009-02-19 19:00:30

Yes George We All Know And Have The Proof! I Have A Copier!!!

#10 2009-02-21 11:31:01

TBL

Did anyone see that article on the rag website this week about how the selectmen want a public meeting between the police chief and George Coleman? In it the ragman writes this.

"Joyce and Coleman have been at odds since last summer when the town gave Crime Watch the ability to write parking tickets in Onset Center. Joyce tried to end that practice. He claimed people were being unfairly ticketed. Coleman said the policy was changed after friends of the chief complained."

Yet another lie from the ragman. The TOWN did NOT give crime watch the authority to write tickets. The POLICE gave them the authority two summers ago and issued crime watch parking ticket books. At first the program worked great. Then last year Coleman became more bold and decided to disregard police department policy and issue multiple citations for the same violations. Example: If someone parked in a parking spot with a time limit. George would give them a ticket and then come back and give 2 or 3 tickets to the same car for the same parking violation. This was in direct violation of the the parking enforcement policy and George knew it but didn't care. Many of the tickets were issued to out of town visitors and not to "friends of the chief". If the chief wanted to protect his friends from parking tickets all he has to do is void the parking tickets that Coleman wrote.

There were other problems too. One time a young man pulled over briefly to the side of the road to allow a vehicle that was having trouble manuvering through the traffic to pass him. The young man was about to pull away when Coleman pulled up in his crime watch car and turned on the flashing lights as if he was pulling him over (also a big no no). What happened next? You guessed it! Coleman wrote this poor kid a ticket for being a nice guy. Problems also happened in the swifts beach area. Coleman got into confrontations for being completely unreasonable in his parking enforcement and the cops were called to defuse some of these situations. Another story I heard about was some guy who got permission from the parking attendent to enter the swifts beach parking lot to bring his wife a iced coffee. As he returned to his car Cowboy Coleman was smugly writing him a parking ticket. This was just two of many complaints the cops received about Coleman. Maybe you guys heard of the other problems and can fill everyone in. I know there were other problems but I can't remember the exact details and I don't want to be like the ragman and get the story wrong.

But wait there is more from this article. Look at these gems from Bruce.

"We were repeatedly told by the police chief he would meet with Crime Watch," selectman Bruce Sauvageau said. "It never happened. This is a direct problem with the police administration. This is not the Wild West."

Let me get this straight Bruce. The police exercise good judgement, discretion, and a little bit of compassion when deciding if they are going to write someone a ticket and the police administration is the problem???

It's not over yet, look at this.

"Sauvageau said the question of authority over parking tickets is a policy question, and as such belongs with the Board of Selectmen".

Holy shit batman! So the Board of Selectmen are so power hungry that they even want to micromanage the police department to the extent of how parking tickets are handled? Parking tickets are very small potatoes, yet the selectmen want to stick their grimy hands over this issue too. No wonder why they claim they are so overworked. What is next??? Do they want to set policy for hall passes at the high school when students have to use the bathroom?

Where does this madness stop? I hope the chief does meet in public with Coleman and I hope he stops being so diplomatic about everything because it apparently is not working. The selectmen and a few others are throwing punches at the chief and the police department. It is time for the police to take the gloves off and start throwing punches back!

#11 2009-02-21 14:21:57

I think the Chief needs to keep focued on his law suit (and the big win) It seems every bos meeting and every published rag contains information that is hurting Rober Slager's and Brucie Boys defense.  The chief can take his gloves off in the court room where it will give him the most satisfaction.

#12 2009-02-22 07:25:30

A public meeting between the chief and Coleman ? Are you kidding me.  Some Joe blow off the street becomes head of a civilian crime watch.  He thinks he's now like the chief of Onset or something. What's Coleman going to do try and defend his work history ? Or maybe the alleged  prostitute thing.  How about his abuse of the small amount of responsibility he was given with parking tickets.  This guy doesn't deserve the chief's time. If Coleman shows up knowing everyone knows, I'll be surprised. I've heard people talking about these  issues since he  started.  He should resign so the crime watch can gain back some respect.   I'm all for neighborhood watch programs.  But thats what they are, they watch. Call the police when they see something.   Let the pros handle things.  I can't even imagine a short fat coward like Coleman confronting a dangerous bad guy.  It wouldn't ever happen. He'd be scared.  But he'll be a coward and write little parking tickets.

Hey Coleman got to Plymouth and be a meter maid.

#13 2009-02-22 11:28:08

big john wrote:

A public meeting between the chief and Coleman ? Are you kidding me.  Some Joe blow off the street becomes head of a civilian crime watch.    Hey Coleman got to Plymouth and be a meter maid.

It doesn't matter.  I think no matter what the information, the man purpose of a public meeting is for brucie boy to beat and berate the Chief.  Bruce is at home preparing his attack and celebrating with the ragman.

#14 2009-02-22 11:59:46

big john wrote:

I heard that George claims to be a retired police officer. ?

George posted on the Wickedlocal blog site that he was a retired police officer suring all the uproar in Onset.

#15 2009-02-22 15:07:50

thats ok because someone in the crowd will be sitting there with the facts from the sharon pd and copies of the public information that anyone can get at the boston headquarters archives.  such as a police report from 10/23/1985?  might be off on the date i am not in possession of a copy this moment but there is one in town about solicitation of prostitution.

funny the date is right around the time that the person "RETIRED"  oh its going to be great let him make a fool of himself. 
or when the former and current board members (crime watch) speak against him

#16 2009-02-22 20:17:30

TBL

Crime watch is supposed to a group of neighbors that keep an eye out for each other and meet up every now and then to discuss problems in the neighborhood. They are not supposed to have marked patrol vehicles. They are not supposed to use town funds to pay for gas that was authorized by the board of selectmen. Crime watch is not supposed to have a headquarters. Crime watch isn't supposed to have uniforms. Crime watch is not supposed to have computer equipment.

It is apparent that Coleman is trying to create some type of auxilary police force and has gone way beyond what a crime watch should be. If he wants to make a difference maybe he should solicit funds for equipment that will benefit the police department instead of wasting money on things a neighborhood crime watch does not need and should not have.

Last edited by TBL (2009-02-22 20:20:14)

#17 2009-02-23 01:06:30

TBL

Just remembered a story I heard recently about how the cops were going to arrest a guy at his house. They parked their cars a few doors down from the house they were going to. As they were sneaking up to the house Cowboy Coleman comes down the street in his crime watch "cruiser" with the high beams on and lights up the cops for the world to see.

Last edited by TBL (2009-02-23 01:08:04)

#18 2009-04-01 14:29:21

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/460_no_hook.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#19 2009-04-01 18:08:44

What ever happened to a public meeting between George and the chief ?  George must not want to clear his good name about  up all the misconceptions about him.  The decent people involved in Crime Watch must have questions.

#20 2009-04-01 23:13:41

Coleman is a gutless coward (Where have we heard that before?). Savaugeau must have had a change of heart when the truth came out about this pervert.

#21 2009-04-25 22:06:43

Confession by George - This is an open letter to the good people of Wareham and especially those good citizens and crime watch volunteers in Onset. I want to publicly apologize to everyone for telling you and the media that I am a retired police officer. I have always wanted to be a police officer, but couldn't quite hack it when the opportunity was offered to me. The Sharon police department offered me a full time position and a police academy slot if I worked for a year on probation and kept my nose clean. Unfortunately, I got caught up in a prostitution ring in Boston and was criminally charged and arrested. As you well know, police officers are held to a much higher standard and I was fired by the Sharon Police for conduct unbecoming a police officer. I do not have a retired police officer's badge, nor am I collecting a pension like all real retired police officers have. Everyone makes mistakes in life, and I made mine. I just can't bring myself to admitting to my mistakes. I hope you can all forgive me and let me continue as the grand exalted Poo Bah of the Onset Crime Watch. My goal is to write as many parking tickets as I can, regardless of how many citizens and tourists threaten to kick my ass. As I was never a real policeman, I was never trained in how to exercise discretion, so I'm not sure how that works. I'll just write everyone and not attempt to de-escalate the situation or try to reason with the scofflaws. It's in the best interest of the Town of Wareham's parking revenue receipts. If the real Wareham police have to be called to intervene in a disturbance that my ticket writing may cause, hey....that's their job, right?. They have nothing better to do. Have a great summer....and watch where you park!!

#22 2009-05-01 12:04:38

TBL

Got to love that last sentence hellrazor. "Have a great summer....and watch where you park!!" So true, unfortunately.

In his Goverment 101 section the ragman writes about how the police chief "tried" to rescind the authority of crime watch to write parking tickets. Where does the ragman think George Coleman got the parking tickets from to begin with? The selectmen certainly do not have their own supply of parking tickets.

Here is a little history lesson... The police department first gave crime watch parking ticket books back in the summer of 2006, not last summer as the ragman reports. The police gave crime watch a small electric car to drive around in while they looked for parking violations, parking enforcement shirts, and a police radio in case of trouble. Coleman didn't like anything about the police-crime watch parking enforcement program, especially those pesky police department policies that said crime watch should allow violaters to move their cars if they were willing to do so before a ticket was written and to not ticket violators two or three times for the exact same offense before they returned to their cars. Above all Coleman apparently didn't like being told that he should use discretion, common sense, and even a little bit of compassion before slapping someone with a fine.

I find this criticism of the police department to be very strange. Usually police are branded as eager ticket writers looking to swoop down on someone for the smallest infraction, even if that is not the case. But here we have the chief recognizing that there is a problem with the heavy handed enforcement that George Coleman practiced and he is raked over the coals by the ragman and his buddy Bruce.

Last edited by TBL (2009-05-01 12:16:06)

#23 2009-05-01 12:16:09

TBL:
I am of the opinion that the BOS want heavy handed enforcement, just not when it is one of them breaking the law.
Being that I happen to be a law abiding citizen I encourage the use of discretion, if I was pulled over for speeding (say I was rushing to get somewhere in an emergency) I would hope the officer would see that I have been driving for decades and have never been ticketed.
That is what community policing is all about. Maybe we should send George to community policing school? I'll pitch in to cover the cost.
I get aggravated at how the police are disparaged week after week after week. A few years ago I had an emergency and had to call 911, thank God for the professional, calm and caring officers who responded because I was a basket case!
I want those officers to feel appreciated by the community. I understand that they are people and from time to time a mistake may be made, even a bad decision, but branding our officers the way they have been branded is a sin.
Here's a thought, the Chief should allow Crime Watch to ticket all they want but they will have to cover thecosts of the appeals and any resulting lawsuits. That will solve that problem right quick!

#24 2009-05-01 12:25:04

TBL

In fairness, I don't see any lawsuits ocurring as a result of parking enforcement. But then again a woman did sue McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on herself, so I guess anything is possible.

But if someone returns to their car and finds 2 or 3 tickets on it for the same violation they would most likely assume the police wrote all those tickets and that would not do anything positive for police-community relations. The parking tickets issued by crime watch are the same parking tickets used by the police.

Last edited by TBL (2009-05-01 12:31:13)

#25 2009-05-01 12:59:57

Hmmmm...?? Was that Coleman that I read about a few months ago??? A couple were on the way to the hospital because the woman's mother dying.  She had only minutes to live.  Due to the emergency, the driver stopped at a red light checked both ways and then crossed and continued on his way.  He was stopped at the hospital and even though the nurse came out to tell the officer (Coleman?)the mother was dying and had already been coded twice, the officer would not let the poor man in to see the dying relative because he had gone through a red light.  Was that Coleman...or was that Bruce?

#26 2009-05-01 13:12:57

TBL

Mixie wrote:

Hmmmm...?? Was that Coleman that I read about a few months ago??? A couple were on the way to the hospital because the woman's mother dying.  She had only minutes to live.  Due to the emergency, the driver stopped at a red light checked both ways and then crossed and continued on his way.  He was stopped at the hospital and even though the nurse came out to tell the officer (Coleman?)the mother was dying and had already been coded twice, the officer would not let the poor man in to see the dying relative because he had gone through a red light.  Was that Coleman...or was that Bruce?

No Mixie, that wasn't Coleman. But it was a Texas police officer that like Coleman, is apparently unable to use discretion and good judgement.

#27 2009-05-04 20:45:43

I heard there is a new citizens crime watch group in Wareham that will be performing a similar function to that of police impersonator George Coleman's Crime Watch. Some of them are former members of Grand Exalted Poo Bah Coleman's group who got fed up with his arrogance and lack of discretion. I also heard that they were given a patrol car by Chief Joyce for their patrols. Hope they succeed. The Wareham Police need all the extra help of "real" concerned citizens to help them with the day to day petty calls that tie them up.

#28 2009-05-04 21:38:52

So, now there's a Crimewatch Watch?

#29 2009-05-05 09:22:36

TBL

hellrazor wrote:

I heard there is a new citizens crime watch group in Wareham that will be performing a similar function to that of police impersonator George Coleman's Crime Watch. Some of them are former members of Grand Exalted Poo Bah Coleman's group who got fed up with his arrogance and lack of discretion. I also heard that they were given a patrol car by Chief Joyce for their patrols. Hope they succeed. The Wareham Police need all the extra help of "real" concerned citizens to help them with the day to day petty calls that tie them up.

I believe you are correct. I heard that Coleman did drive some people away from crime watch and they have now defected to some citizen group being put together by the police department. The police are pulling an old cruiser out of the mini police car boneyard behind the station and turning it over to the volunteers. Now that we have this group I wonder if the selectmen are going to supply Coleman with the taxpayer's gas again this summer like they did last year. I'm not so sure if this volunteer group is a good idea though. It cannot and should not be considered an acceptable substitute for what this town really needs. What this town needs is about 15 to 20 more police officers.

#30 2009-05-05 11:41:33

TBL wrote:

I'm not so sure if this volunteer group is a good idea though. It cannot and should not be considered an acceptable substitute for what this town really needs. What this town needs is about 15 to 20 more police officers.

I'm glad you said this. The subject demands a clear distinction between public minded volunteers and professional law enforcement. Shelving books at the library, it's not.

#31 2009-05-05 18:42:26

today shelving books requires training just like many data organizational tasks. sitting one's arse in george's auto as he does to enjoy enforced respect is to what selectmen do every tuesday at their conclave at our expense. neither requires training, only disrespect

#32 2009-05-05 18:52:37

I have to say, if I had never been to Wareham before and had never heard anything about it...if I were just passing through, parked my car in Onset, and Shorty McShortpants rolled up in the Crimewatchmobile and gave me a ticket, I'd think I was on candid camera or something.

Seriously, what other town in America, scratch that, the world, gives a citizen's crime watch group actual authority of any kind?

They are called Crime WATCH because all they are supposed to do is WATCH.

#33 2009-05-06 10:23:13

TBL

Hamatron5000 wrote:

I have to say, if I had never been to Wareham before and had never heard anything about it...if I were just passing through, parked my car in Onset, and Shorty McShortpants rolled up in the Crimewatchmobile and gave me a ticket, I'd think I was on candid camera or something.

Seriously, what other town in America, scratch that, the world, gives a citizen's crime watch group actual authority of any kind?

They are called Crime WATCH because all they are supposed to do is WATCH.

I agree. In every other city or town crime watch is a group of neighbors that looks out for each other and meets up every once in a while to discuss problems in the neighborhood. They don't have patrol cars that have been known to use the taxpayer's gas courtesy of the selectmen and a crime watch station in a store front. Do not donate money to Coleman's police pipe dream. From what I hear about the early days of crime watch the police helped to make crime watch into what it is today but that wasn't good enough for Coleman. The police gave him an inch and he took a mile. When the police tried to reel him in a little he ran to the selectmen.

#34 2009-05-06 10:45:52

george coleman is actually a pretty resourceful guy.  although i think he is  a complete asshole he has manipulated his way into an organization that can spark nothing but positive good will and turned it into his private little power party.

in a turn of good fortune for him the bos has bankrupt the town and cannot control the police dept in true dictator fashion.  so the answer to this is to give power and leverage to this portrait of" little man syndrome " to circumvent the police dept.

and at the same time they hired their own little commodores' taxman (for those of us who remember the popeye movie)

summer is coming time to warm up the copy machine

Last edited by oneeardog (2009-05-06 10:49:03)

#35 2009-05-07 05:01:40

oneeardog wrote:

at the same time they hired their own little commodores' taxman (for those of us who remember the popeye movie)

A flawed but highly under-rated film that speaks a lot more forcefully to our depression era fears than the sanitized Popeye most people know.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/sidepic/popeyespinach.png
The original Popeye hated spinach.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#36 2009-07-07 13:02:15

TBL

Bump

#38 2009-07-13 07:55:54

I wrote about this in the other thread about crime watch, but reading these posts I want to add my 2 cents.

The story about turning the flashing lights on to pull someone over, if true, I think it justifies a charge of impersonating a police officer. This is very serious. If you did it you would be in big trouble.

If he blocked the driver in, or if he has ever stopped someone from leaving either with the car or on foot, he has taken on the power of a police officer to detain someone without arresting them.

Last summer I saw one of the CW "cruisers" at one of the beaches with lights flashing.

If they have the authority to EVER turn on the lights we all deserve to see the specifics.

If we MUST have the crime watch-parking enforcers I think it is ill-advised to have the roof-top light bar anyway. This makes it look like a real police cruiser. In a sense they are ALWAYS impersonating the police when they drive around in their faux cruisers.

I can't think of any reason they need cars outfitted this way.

Police cars, even unmarked ones, have lights and sirens for a number of reasons including getting someplace quickly and safely, once there alerting traffic to an incident, and of course, to pull a motorist over.

#39 2009-07-17 15:03:03

bump.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com