#1 2009-06-30 09:50:01

FYI
A public hearing will be held by the MassHighway on the appeal of the proposed street name change of Wankinquoah Avenue in the Swift's Beach area of Wareham, MA, at the Wareham Free Library on July 23, 2009 at 10:30 am. The purpose of this hearing is to hear the appeal of 40 inhabitants of Wareham from the decision of the Wareham Board of Selectmen to change the name of a portion of Wankinquoah Avenue to Oceanside Drive. All persons wishing to be heard at the hearing shall be given an opportunity to speak.

#2 2009-06-30 15:09:20

Didn't the state already rule in favor of keeping the name the same--Wankinquoah the last time this went to court? More legal fees. The road commissioners--aka BOS--should have followed the court's ruling the first time around.

Wareham must be flush with cash---$50,000 and counting for the computer audit, and now this? I'm sure K and P will benefit if no one else. It could be avoided if the bos wasn't protecting Bruce's family's desire to name the street. Loyalty should only go so far.

As to the argument last time--during a televised bos meeting-- that when an emergency vehicle comes to the cross road, when it was Wankinquoah to the left and to the right, the emergency personnel didn't know which way to go. Ok, so tell me, what do the same emergency personnel do when they come to High Street from Rte. 6. Bigger road, way more houses on each side. I don't see anyone wanting to change the name on one half of High Street. If that's the best they've got, it shouldn't fly this time either. So if the court rules again to keep the name the same, what do you think will happen?

#3 2009-07-02 20:31:13

If the BOS had followed the state's ruling that came down in June 2008 from the November 2007 hearing, the residents of Wareham would not be doing this again. It is amazing what the BOS will do to please Bruce and family. At what cost to the town??

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com