#1 2009-06-24 23:01:17

I didn't learn much at Tabor Academy 40 years ago but Dick Duffy - Class of '56 and still with them - did impart one lasting piece of wisdom, which I'll pass along here. Always conspire alone.

Tabor in my day hired itinerant lecturers to deliver uplifting sermons each week for compulsary Sunday evening chapel. The school, I'm sure, has long since discovered and blocked our basement exit tunnels. That was Dick Duffy's job.

My first year the school assigned each of these hapless pedagogues the same theme. "Who Am I?" Contemporary accounts of the subsequent torture never vary. Everyone remembers SEVEN [redacted] SERMONS. They remember because I stood out in the street playing money changer as Tabor's inmates filed in, converting 50 cents of pennies to one dollar in my pocket.

The pennies went into the collection plates, overflowed after three pews and halted the service, with promises of no more "Who Am I?" ever again.

We know who you are, Bruce Sauvageau.

You are a future prison inmate.

Bill Whitehouse

Last edited by billw (2009-06-25 10:01:42)

#2 2009-06-25 08:21:42

I'm not sure I know who Bruce is. I see him as an angry man with a severe case of Napoleon Syndrome (Short man's disease). I can't quite put a finger on what it is that drives him. I do know that my two "conversations" with him were not pleasant and left me wondering how he became a Selectmen. Who would vote for such an ill-tempered man to have a starring role in the Town soap opera?

In the end, I do not know who Bruce is, but I want him to return to private life.

#3 2009-06-25 12:50:22

he seems like he gets his thrills off of bossing and bullying people and treating them like dirt like he is above them, he is a loser personally and professionally and in private life will continue to do the same to who ever unfortunately has to come across this monster

#4 2009-06-26 03:35:13

A bit more on the, "Do You Know Who I Am?" theme, this time without the Billy Sunday thunder. No Seven Sermons, I promise.

When I first fell down the network rabbit hole in the early 80s almost everyone posted under their given names. Anonymous posting coexisted in these small online communities but was usually only employed in less than serious pursuits. Called echoes, or newsgroups, there was a least some reassuring accountability among participants.

The one-world web changed all that, for good or ill. Another website I run remains strictly aliased 13 years after its launch and only recently have these folks begun to exchange their names and personal information.

There's a paradox here, of course. Few humans are capable of writing one complete sentence without revealing an awful lot about themselves.

These storms will pass, and we'll get there soon enough. We're neighbors.

Give thanks we don't live -here-.

Last edited by billw (2009-06-26 03:51:58)

#5 2009-06-26 05:25:40

You are right Bill. And if we didn't live in a town where retribution and vendettas have been made public for some time, there would be no reason to speak through a screen name. And if there wasn't a ragboy printing outrageous, unsubstantiated, libelous lies against innocent people----well, need I say more?

People should not have to live in fear that they may lose their jobs if they speak out against their bosses or their elected officials.

People should not have to live in a town where big brother is looking over your shoulder.

People should not have to live in an town where the truth is so twisted, that people who believe those lies actually begin to show the same hatred towards people they don't even know.

I would like to live in Wareham as it used to be, where people were respectful and honest and where we weren't the laughing stock of the commonwealth.

#6 2009-06-30 05:24:19

Standard-Times, June 30, 2009 6:00 AM.

Last edited by billw (2009-09-22 14:23:36)

#7 2009-06-30 06:57:38

Kudos Bill. Good letter to the editor. No subtlety there!

#8 2009-06-30 07:22:12

Wow.  7 am and Ragman already has a "pay to look at this for free" column in response to Bill's letter.

I don't know which surprises me more.  That Ragman responded so quickly, or that he hauled his ass out of bed before noon.

#9 2009-06-30 07:30:25

Oh Silly Ragman - I thought you had popped some anti-paranoia pills because you wrote in your other column that you don't hate Mrs Pillsbury.

Ragman, oh Ragman, if you don't hate her, why then do you continue to defend the blogger that said she was glad she got cancer and was given  it by God because she disagreed with Bruce.

Oh wait, I forgot - because you think that too, you mental patient.

But no, you're not hateful at all.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-06-30 07:31:18)

#10 2009-06-30 07:57:35

Don't fault Bobo for beating the drum as loud as he can.

Otherwise, no one would have noticed.

The S-T buried it as deep as they could more than a week after I sent it and axed my zippy hedline.

#11 2009-06-30 08:06:57

And Slager has the nerve to post that on his blog. He is the one that needs to look in the mirror. Well one thing is clear he reads this site more than he reads his own. He is the one that does not respect the First Amendment, I sent him several letters to the editor and he posted NONE.  They were pretty simple pieces about the crime issue we had in Onset and how the Police Department helped us to clean it up, my concerns over budget issues and where the money comes from to keep the Crime Watch Police in the storefront, and the money to put gas in the cars, and why they were not reporting to the Chief, NONE made the paper because they did not support his hate blogging that he prints.....so much for free speech.

#12 2009-06-30 08:09:01

If I were one of the 2 people that paid for his site, I'd be really pissed that everyone is getting to see all his stuff for free.

Ragman, give your mom and Brenda refunds immediately.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com