#1 2009-05-27 07:01:19

Lot's of speculation around town that interim TA Butt-Monkey is canning some dept heads..is this at the bequest of our BOS??..as each day passes, things seem more and more fucked up in this town..maybe the recall wasn't a bad idea after all..

#2 2009-05-27 07:29:36

They will deny that this computer business is a witch hunt, but we all recognize it for what it is. Most businesses have computer programs that allow them to take a look at any computer in their system anytime as long as there is a policy. I know where I work there is a policy and a system. Wareham has a policy, but I heard that they don't have the system (not very expensive from the IT guy at my place). Instead, they are spending in the thousands (it has to be. Several days just copying hard drives and then someone has to search through them. Hours of work) for this witch hunt.

This has the bos all over it. They think they are so righteous. They get away with this kind of behavior all the time. When will the insanity stop? 

You think they are trying to can the department heads who they can't find other reasons for canning them so they are witch hunting? You may be right. But what kind of a person would come to work in Wareham? We need to be sure to warn any newcomers that they have entered the gates of hell, not the gateway to the cape.

#3 2009-05-27 09:38:01

Last edited by indianchief (2009-05-30 21:29:39)

#4 2009-05-27 10:14:31

indianchief wrote:

Actually, they are showing what pieholes they really are....  some department heads requested this program years ago and they  (the powers elite) said it cost "too much money".... then it was around $3-4,000.00 now look they have probably spent 100 times more for this witch hunt!

That kind of price tag is ludicrous. Our ethically and technically challenged BOS could have legally purchased spyware for $100. Cracked copies of the same software distributes freely on the net. Root kit, anyone?

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could have... yeah, never mind. Why give them ideas? My guess is the BOS approached the town's computer resource staff and were told to go pee up a rope. I'd like to think so, anyway.

#5 2009-05-27 10:52:10

Last edited by indianchief (2009-05-30 21:30:09)

#6 2009-05-27 14:52:10

Wouldn't it be interesting if the state law quoted by a member of the BOS was to apply to personal computers that were used for town business? (As an example; Bruce's home computer) Technically speaking, if "said" computer is utilized for town business, which is what the BOS is supposed to do, then shouldn't it be subject to the same laws and rules as a computer utilized at the police station and/or town hall?

In basic terms, shouldn't they also confiscate the hard drive off all BOS member's computers and apply the same standards??????

If not, why not?

#7 2009-05-27 15:02:43

HEY IF YOUR BRUCE YOU JUST TAKE THE TOWNS LAPTOP FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE IT TO WRITE YOUR LAW SCHOOL PAPERS.

#8 2009-05-27 15:09:18

All the more reason why we should request that the computers of all Selectmen be subject to the same search. The one thing that people keep forgetting is they are elected officials and as registered voters in this town, we have the power to direct their actions. Let's start using that power! IF they want to show a fair and equitable government, they should respectively hand over their computers to be audited.

#9 2009-05-27 16:31:26

I think I read somewhere that Bruce returned the town's laptop computer.  Someone needs to find that computer and turn it over to someone who knows how to retrieve deleted information from hard drives.

I don't know what they are doing but the whole town is a buzz.  I was at the gas station where I over heard (eaves dropped) a conversatiion about the need for a recall.

I also heard that the BOS wants to reduce the maintenance department down to 2 or 3 employees.....probably so they can then blame the director for work not getting done...things are bad, folks...

#10 2009-05-27 16:48:13

A recall effort is useless because no one cares, that lack of caring is what got us in this mess. I think that the BOS has overstepped their bounds and I wonder if all the ES are even legal considering that they have NO jurisdiction.

#11 2009-05-27 17:26:40

Mixie wrote:

I think I read somewhere that Bruce returned the town's laptop computer.  Someone needs to find that computer and turn it over to someone who knows how to retrieve deleted information from hard drives.

Ha, ha. Bring it here.

#12 2009-05-27 17:35:00

iliveinazoo wrote:

A recall effort is useless because no one cares, that lack of caring is what got us in this mess.

No, that's arrogant ignorance.

I'll repeat this until I'm hoarse. The current horror show did not metastasize in a vacuum. Wareham's great unwashed, the disenfranchised majority of its voters, were shut out and ignored for so many years, they were all too easy to exploit.

Attitudes have to change.

#13 2009-05-28 09:47:11

This whole scenario is starting to irk me. It's time for the registered voters to stop being complacent. If corruption is at the root of the computer audit, then they better find something earth shattering. If not, it was a waste of tax payer's money (again). Let's put a stop to this waste and constant turmoil. How do we start a recall vote? What do we need to do to put people on the BOS who care about the town's financial well-being and less about personal vendettas? It is no longer acceptable to watch this town spiral down to ruin because it's being run by personal agendas and poor decisions. What next? How do we get this ship upright and toss the access baggage overboard?

#14 2009-05-28 10:42:40

You make a good point. But whenever someone runs against these people, they lose. My issue with all this is that if they are targeting one or two people, then that's different. Get a warrant or just get their hard drives. Making every town employee nervous is bad for good workers who happen to check email while at work or do a little banking over the lunch break. How long is this going to last waiting for the hard drives to be forensically examined? They could care less about the many good employees we have in town. If, in fact, there are a couple problems, deal with them using good management and leadership style. I know several town workers in different departments whose work was interrupted by this fiasco (so much town work is computer based, duh) and more of them are hanging around talking about this than working. Good for morale. Let's show some trust here for the people who show up every day (yes even when they are sick) to do their jobs.

Where I work, we get these occasional reminders that we should not use computers for personal use. If this was such a problem why wasn't it handled that way. Give everyone a warning and then, after waiting a fair amount of time, buy the cheap software and have random checks done by IT. That's how it is done in civilized work places and towns.  But to pay this much for a witch hunt?

Word is that the lawyers have been on hand all this time because of the sensitive files in the police department. So we are paying by the hour to have lawyers hanging around. It takes a while to download a hard drive. I also heard this will be done by Friday. So, 6 or 7 days. What a waste.

Go to the charter and look up the recall rules. It can be done. This is not Nazi Germany. We don't need ruthless dictators with over inflated egos running the place. Oh, and if they are looking on this blog to find out who we all are?? It's called freedom of speech. I don't, nor would I ever, work for this town. So I don't care. But if they are targeting town employees who look at or write on this blog to crucify, or send to their own BOS gas chamber, then maybe we need to join forces and bring in our own troops. Call your lawyers if you are employees and see where you stand. This is outrageous.

#15 2009-05-28 10:46:29

Maplesprings Road Man wrote:

This whole scenario is starting to irk me. It's time for the registered voters to stop being complacent.

You're right, please forgive my rant and fuck all this.  Anyone got a copy of Geoff Swett's recall petition from last year? Anyone care to take a quick shot at the reason for it?

I'll walk door to door. Anyone else?

There are at two other more immediate options; a work slowdown or a general strike of town employees. Yeah, scratch that first one.

We're already there.

#16 2009-05-28 11:16:24

When people fear for their jobs, they do some very strange things, so I don't think any type of strike would be forthcoming. I certainly don't want to put them in jeopardy of losing their jobs.

I just got word the BOS are in Deep doo doo over the speed limit change on Maple Springs Road. It was NOT legal, and AGAIN this may cost legal fees the town cannot afford. What we need is a list of the blunders made by the BOS that have cost the town valuable income. The legal fees mount, the town is restless and they continue to thumb their noses at the taxpayers.

I'll help, but I want more facts and figures to present to the taxpayers. If I am correct, financials for the town are available for viewing (public record). If we can put together a package that details the bonehead actions of the BOS, then we can proceed with removing them. I'm not going after one or two, I want the entire BOS held responsbile. If there is a recall, then the ones who are trying to do the right thing will end up back on the board.

Another point I want to make clear. I'm not interested in replacing the current board with another board that is just as bad. We need good people that want to see this town prosper.

Last edited by Maplesprings Road Man (2009-05-28 11:58:50)

#17 2009-05-28 12:07:48

I just want to add that when truly caring people make mistakes, that is acceptable. The general demeanor and posturing by the BOS has become more than the population of Wareham can deal with. I'm sure not everyone agrees with that statement, but I would bet that most do. There are times when elected officials have to make unpopular decisions for the greater good, but that is not the case with this group. The greater good is not being served. Special interest groups and individuals benefit from the decisions.

There is at least one lawsuit that is on the horizon that can be avoided, but it appears the BOS are going to "stand their ground" and once again, the town of wareham will be in the middle of a lawsuit it doesn't need.

I really think it's time for a change in leadership. We need Selectmen that will push an agenda that benefits the town and protect the assets of the town. This is a community that deserves better than it is getting.

#18 2009-05-28 12:20:10

Maplesprings Road Man wrote:

Another point I want to make clear. I'm not interested in replacing the current board with another board that is just as bad. We need good people that want to see this town prosper.

Hokay, the list of horrors is regrettably easy so let's start where it's hard. Who would you vote for and never mind whether or not they're actually willing to serve?

I nominate Cindy Parola, strictly because she doesn't suffer fools. Also, Lynda Ames for the same reason and because if we don't lock her into public office, she'll move as far away from Wareham as her little legs can carry her.

I'm facing a mountain of work here but will check back this evening.

Last edited by billw (2009-05-28 12:20:39)

#19 2009-05-28 12:29:47

I have a candidate in mind, but I won't state her name unless she clears it first. She has a calm demeanor and a good head on her shoulders. I would have no problem with Cindy, she certainly wants to do what is right for the town. I don't know Lynda Ames, but I'm willing to listen. I'm sure there are viable candidates, and one might already be sitting on the BOS. Let's see where this goes. I'm sure we can fill out a BOS with 5 people who are looking to improve the atmosphere in Wareham and bring the rhetoric to a halt.

Again, not all decisions will be popular, but if they are made with the best interest of the town as a basis, that's all I'm asking for.

If we are starting a grassroots effort to bring taxpayers to the poll, the best approach is to have candidates that cross all social and ethnic barriers.

#20 2009-05-28 18:19:49

A strike for a municipal employee is against the law (MGL Chapter 150E).

I do not know Cindy or Lynda, but I never had a complaint when Cindy was on the BOS.

Not sure who else you have in mind MRM, but I am bewildered at who sits on the BOS who has the best interest of Wareham at heart, haven't they all proved they want nothing more than revenge?

#21 2009-05-29 06:43:45

Of course they will find a couple of employees who blogged about the town clerk or whatever. But that's the problem. Why spend the money on a town wide search when they have a good idea who the employees are. They will spin it that it is worth the cost, but if it could have been done cheaper, in this tough fiscal environment, it should have been done cheaper. They claim it is unethical to charge sewer admin money, but they have no problem spending money on this and on legal bills. I heard the computer company has already searched 90 computers. And they don't think it is a witch hunt?

What is wrong about all this, is that they are basically treating all employees as though they are bad. That smacks of a hostile work environment. I'm sure people check personal email and do some personal stuff on computers. I don't know of a work place where that doesn't happen. But there are professional ways to handle this. If the town was functional, and had a full time town administrator instead of an inexperienced interim, it would have been handled the right way. McAuliffe would have handled it the right way. The reason he was fired was because he wouldn't dance to this bos's tune.

So, where is the outrage over the bos not hiring a new town administrator with experience handling a municipality of our size? Isn't that their job? How long must we put up with a man who does whatever the bos tell them, even if it is illegal or unethical?

The town needs a new CEDA director. Over a month ago they said they had three great candidates. So what took so long? Why don't we have a town planner? Where is the new accountant? Why don't we have a personnel director? Isn't that their job? If they did their jobs instead of day to day, we wouldn't be in such a mess. But really, if you were looking for a job in one of those positions, would you apply to Wareham? So, I don't see much hope for our future.

#22 2009-05-29 11:28:27

The only hope is to don some dead president masks, an unmarked vehicle, and round all these idiots up after a meeting and put them in front of a tv repeating over and over their stupid motions and votes and comments made each week all the while with subliminal message mixed in telling them they are not worthy and need to resign!!  Never will happen, but makes this gloomy rainy morning easier to deal with thinking about it!!

#23 2009-05-29 11:36:12

Molly,
You are right! It is the lack of professionalism that irks me the most. We, as taxpayers, expect our elected officials to use due care and diligence when acting on our behalf. This is not happening. As an example, Bruce has displayed personal feelings and emotional outbursts in a public forum and it shapes the way people view our town and the people living here.

A seasoned Admin will be hard to find. We have no money, an overbearing BOS, and the complete look of futility. Would you want to come to work for Wareham? Money is flying out the door for legal expenses that are the result of poor decisions and the last I checked, we still have employees laid off for lack of funds.

If they would concentrate on improving the financial position and push aside the rehetoric, we might have a chance.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com