#1 2009-04-08 19:51:11

15% voter turnout?!  Only two thousand people out of 14,000 registered voters care what is going on in town?  That's just disgusting.  People complain and complain but when it comes time to voting, they sit at home.

Despite Slager's claim (which he had two), Cape Verdiens did not put Cruz in office and the hate-bloggers did not cost Winslow the election (if that was the case, Swett would have lost too).  APATHY put Cruz in office.  Truth be known, not enough people care.

On one hand you can't blame them.  If Town politics are not effecting their lives, why would they vote?  On the other hand, they must know someone who's life is being effected.  My circle of relations is not any different. 

I asked my father to register to vote.  He's never voted a day in his 65 year old life.  His response was, "will my vote really make a difference?"  And he didn't do it despite me telling him it would.  If everyone who said that went out and voted in local elections, their vote WOULD make a difference. 

Not that it surprises me, but Slager's first headline was Cape Verdien's are celebrating because Cruz won.  To be bluntly honest, I find that quite offensive and racist to anyone not Cape Verdien.  Does Slager truly believe no one of any other ethnic background supported this guy? 

How dare you break it down to a specific group!  That's racist pal!  I don't care where anyone's bloodline is from.  I vote for the candidate who I think will do the best job.  How dare you make it about race!  You broke out every dirty trick in the book to sabotage the other candidate in your "paper."  So much for being an objective journalist. 

Despite your HUGH ego, you did not win the election for Cruz.  As much as you like to insert yourself into EVERY story in Town, it was not you that won the election for Cruz.  Apathy aside, IT WAS HIM.  He got enough people passionate enough to go out and vote for him.  Plain and simple.

The "hate bloggers" had no negative effect on Winslow.  You said she was tied in with the CBW.  Isn't Geoff Swett as well?  They received a nearly equal amount of votes.  Seems to me if the hate bloggers are allegidly supporting the CBW, then Swett would have suffered too.

I would hardly say that a margin of 200+ votes is the "will of the people" in a population of 20,000.  The will of the people is apparently, "Who gives a shit?!"

Good luck to Mr. Cruz.  I hope you truly live up to your claim as an independent thinker.

Last edited by commonsense (2009-04-08 19:52:49)

#2 2009-04-08 20:36:37

Can you imagine is winslow had won and the headlines read, " winslow elected and caucasions were dancing in the street" ragman you are the racist for your headline

#3 2009-04-08 21:52:16

Commonsense, when your Dad wonders whether his vote will count.   Remind him of the Rick Musiol / John Donahue race.  John won the primary by a mere 4 points.  So who says a vote doesn't count!!!!

#4 2009-04-08 22:02:44

Jeb

Voter apathy V. the lazy ass complainers.

commonsense wrote:

15% voter turnout?!  Only two thousand people out of 14,000 registered voters care what is going on in town?  That's just disgusting.  People complain and complain but when it comes time to voting, they sit at home.

I've found that there is a core (if you will) group of voters that always vote in every election. Then there are the ones that vote only for a pet question or candadate that mean something special to them.
    Also, there are the very vocal people that complain and complain,
bitch and moan till they create their own excuse not to vote, then bitch about that. ( Lazy )
    Then there are the ones that realy don't care or trust other voters to vote whats best for them.( apathy )

I talk to many people on a daily basis and it's a 50/50 split as far as support for our present BOS. Those against were by far the more vocal and animated in their opinions. (I'm clumping pro and neutral BOS camps together) So what happened?
    Evidently Slagers paper, this forum site nor CBW had very little to no influence on the 'Core' voters. I also feel the deciding factor was
"Based on his age and residency" as I ( a core voter ) posted here last night.

I would hardly say that a margin of 200+ votes is the "will of the people" in a population of 20,000.  The will of the people is apparently, "Who gives a shit?!"

That was the will of the people that had the will to vote. All others should feel like asses when they complain after NOT exercising their most important (and easy) voice by voting. Actually it's the only voice that matters.  200 or 200000 post here means diddly, Letters to the papers mean diddly compared to one's vote.

BTW, what % of the active posters here do you dare guess ACTUALY voted yesterday? I know what % will say they did.

I'd say 25% tops voted.

Just my opinion, others mileage may vary.

Good luck to Mr. Cruz.  I hope you truly live up to your claim as an independent thinker.

I agree and extend the same to all that won last night.

#5 2009-04-09 07:36:54

jeb doesnt think i should pick on tootsie and i wont did not no he lost his wife , but old jeb thinks slager has more speech rites than i ,  slager is a fuckin liar plain and simple,and i dont think his freedom of speech rites are to tell lies.

#6 2009-04-09 10:28:54

Here we go again with the imposition of your  Judeo-Christian ethics that are supposed to make us bite our tongue or hold back because a love one died.  Grow up jeb people die it is all we really know.  Did slager use that mentality when Mary Jane Pillsbury died no.  In fact he hasn't stopped berating her.  He couldn't even do an objective and proper obituary without throwing in some cloudy political issues like that was relevant.

I dont know too much about this tootsie guy but i have heard the name and seen him stand up repeatedly at town meeting.  Any time someone works in or for the government they are making decisions for the rest of us. As such Public officials are accountable for their actions arent they?  Isnt that the same logic that they are using to try to fire all the department heads?  Which way do you want it Jeb?

People are so fickle when it comes to what is proper and when.

love the response on the media for ted kennedy throwing out the first pirch and how great it was because of his brain tumor.  Well i remember back to a time where he was young and verile and able to walk and swim home drunk after putting his car in the river.  Do you think Mary Jo Kopechne's family was at fenway the other day.

Where were our ethics then where was the outrage.  Funny  we didnt mind in the eighties when  "ted "had the house ways and means committee stacked and Mass kept getting the lions share of federal money.

Go work third shift in a factory in Boise if you dont want people knowing your business

Last edited by oneeardog (2009-04-09 10:55:26)

#7 2009-04-09 15:04:13

Jeb

oneeardog wrote:

Here we go again with the imposition of your  Judeo-Christian ethics that are supposed to make us bite our tongue or hold back because a love one died.  Grow up jeb people die it is all we really know.  Did slager use that mentality when Mary Jane Pillsbury died no.  In fact he hasn't stopped berating her.  He couldn't even do an objective and proper obituary without throwing in some cloudy political issues like that was relevant.
(snip)
Which way do you want it Jeb?

Hmmm. How did giving the resident village idiot a heads up in another thread...

Jeb wrote:

Give it a rest. Out of respect, let the guy alone. Just lost his wife.

so he does not come off as a complete ass and give Slager more ammo,  warrant such an outpour of hostility from you towards me in this one?
   What's your real problem here and towards whom?  No tolerance of differing opinions,pissed over the election results, Joyce's results......, didn't VOTE?

Thanks for your very insightful ethics lesson, To think I've been lost all this time.

#8 2009-04-09 15:48:03

Jeb wrote:

What's your real problem here and towards whom?  No tolerance of differing opinions,pissed over the election results, Joyce's results......, didn't VOTE?

Unless I'm mistaken, these guys have more at stake here than you. If they're working for the town, their dept budgets have shrunk, along with their morale and their paychecks. And if they're aren't personally offended by Wareham govt, there's something wrong with them.

Lighten up, everybody. We all want the same thing, I think.

Last edited by billw (2009-04-09 18:39:58)

#9 2009-04-09 20:14:00

Ragman says this site cost Winslow to the election.  (Gee,  and here I thought if anything, it was because of Ragman's non-stop round the clock efforts to try to paint her out as if she was the devil incarnate).

Let's look at the facts.  Last year, Donahue and Brenda won by a landslide.  This year, Cruz won by about 230 votes.  What's the difference between this year and last year?  Well, I'd say it was a combination of the BOS making one blunder after the next, along with this site to point out these blunders.

A landslide last year, then the margin closes to 230 votes this year.  How much do you suppose the margin will close next year, when Bruce and Dirt man are up?

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-04-09 20:20:17)

#10 2009-04-10 09:19:10

Hamatron5000 wrote:

Let's look at the facts.  Last year, Donahue and Brenda won by a landslide.  This year, Cruz won by about 230 votes.  What's the difference between this year and last year?  Well, I'd say it was a combination of the BOS making one blunder after the next, along with this site to point out these blunders.

A landslide last year, then the margin closes to 230 votes this year.  How much do you suppose the margin will close next year, when Bruce and Dirt man are up?

You make a compelling point.  I'm sure Slager never looked at it that way.  Or he did, but left it out because it doesn't help the BOS agenda.

Last edited by commonsense (2009-04-10 09:20:26)

#11 2009-04-10 15:30:05

Just looked up the actual numbers:

2008 Selectman Election (2 seats up)

Jane Donahue - 1,389
Brenda Eckstrom - 1,157

vs.

Frank DeFelice - 642
Pat Rumney - 674

Jane, the highest vote getter in that election, beat DeFelice, the lowest vote getter in that election by a whopping margin of 747 votes.  That does qualify as a "landslide."

COMPARE TO:

2009 Selectman Election (1 seat up)

Walter Cruz - 1,232

vs.

Cara Ann Winslow - 1,001 (that 1 was mine, by the way)

That's a difference of 231 votes. 

What do we learn from this?

Their side won last year by 747 votes.  This year, their side only won by 231 votes. 

That means that between last year and this year, support for the BOS side dropped by 516 votes.  516 people who came out to vote for the BOS side last year did not do so this year. 

In one year's time, they went from a landslide, to a much more narrow victory. Their margin of support has dwindled drastically on them.   Can't wait to see that margin come all the way closed next year.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-04-10 15:51:30)

#12 2009-04-10 15:38:23

Hamatron5000 wrote:

In one year's time, they went from a landslide, to a much more narrow victory.  Can't wait to see it come all the way closed next year.

Wait'll we print a one page weekly summary to compete head to head with Bobo's newstand sales, such as they aren't.

Coming soon.

Last edited by billw (2009-04-10 16:52:51)

#13 2009-04-10 17:08:30

billw wrote:

Wait'll we print a one page weekly summary to compete head to head with Bobo's newstand sales, such as they aren't.

Coming soon.

Awright, I've made arrangements with a printer with a tentative launch date the week after Town Meeting. Still debating 4-color.

I'll dummy up test issues beginning next week, so I hope y'all will mercilessly tear them apart. I mean it. Hold nothing back.

This means I'll have to actually appear at town functions, unless I can sucker someone else into it... ? Right. Anyway, with most of you bozos watching and jeering from home, it should prove interesting.

Meanwhile, I want to hear your ideas.

Last edited by billw (2009-04-10 17:09:14)

#14 2009-04-10 20:05:33

billw, i would not consider that a wise move to make unless you are very well funded; don't wanna see you beggin like the Ragman.

#15 2009-04-10 20:44:10

God, Ragman, get a life, he's already got a jeer in response to this (the election result vote total analysis showing his side's drastically dwindling vote margin).  Doesn't respond at all to it, mind you, but he's got a response already.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-04-10 20:45:47)

#16 2009-04-10 21:03:22

Hamatron5000 wrote:

God, Ragman, get a life, he's already got a jeer in response to this (the election result vote total analysis showing his side's drastically dwindling vote margin).  Doesn't respond at all to it, mind you, but he's got a response already.

Here's what makes ZERO sense (not that it surprises me)....

In one jeer the CBW wants the "hate-bloggers" to go away, in this second jeer he is referring to Hamatron's post about the election results, but credits it to the CBW.

So which is it Rag Man?  Are the hate-bloggers and CBW the same entity, or are they two separate ones?  You can't have it both ways.  Especially when you say one doesn't care for the other.

Last edited by commonsense (2009-04-10 21:04:02)

#17 2009-04-10 21:06:22

billw wrote:

Coming soon.

Brilliant!  Now you can hit the non-tech audience.  I can't imagine a one page summary of the news here would be too costly.  This should have it's own thread though.

#18 2009-04-10 21:44:56

wag the dog wrote:

billw, i would not consider that a wise move to make unless you are very well funded; don't wanna see you beggin like the Ragman.

I was wondering what will actually make the nut, what will show this town's residents:

-how their taxes are misspent, 

-how state and federal subsidies to poorer communities like ours are skimmed,

-how developers and contractors are extorted for kickbacks, and

-how this gang of losers and thieves have fiddled the town's books, squandering millions in undeclared legal fees to bludgeon opponents, and finance their own personal news service, masquerading as 'independent', to hide all the fraud.

How would y'all accomplish that?

Last edited by billw (2009-04-10 21:45:24)

#19 2009-04-10 22:00:53

I just read the "jeer", it is almost hard to believe this guy is for real.
I have to admit that I am becoming more curious about this group of elitist he refers to and their connection to Winslow. Slager, we all know you didn't talk to Winslow because you printed that. How can you be non-partisan when you don't even have a conversation with her?
As to the small fortune, how much does Slager think the Donahue's spent on Cruz? They sent out a full page letter with full postage.
I like the idea of a weekly fact based paper. But, stick with the facts BillW and start with the truth bloggers never endorsed Winslow. I am sure there are a number of bloggers who didn't vote for her (i.e. Jeb) or who didn't vote at all.
Then move on to some issues like no lifeguards and no beach clean up this year. That will sure keep tourism rates flat.

#20 2009-04-10 23:42:52

TBL

iliveinazoo wrote:

Then move on to some issues like no lifeguards and no beach clean up this year. That will sure keep tourism rates flat.

Would using contractors for beach clean up cause a problem with the municipal maintenence union?

This should be an interesting summer. Dirty beaches, overgrown parks, overflowing trash barrels, dirty bathrooms. Add that to the growing crime problem and a unmotivated police force because they been kicked in the bag by the board of selectmen one too many times and you have the makings of a very ugly summer. We have already lost yearly visitors because of problems the last two years. This summer will painful to watch.

Last edited by TBL (2009-04-10 23:58:42)

#21 2009-04-11 09:17:34

Common - He's just making a sad attempt to try and sew dissent amongst the anti-BOS forces in town.  Sorry to disappoint him, but turning on each other at the drop of a hat is more of their side's thing.  Cruz will find that out from them big time as soon as he utters three little words "Bruce, I disagree." 

They can put you up as the second coming of Christ or the devil incarnate, depending on whether you play ball with them.  Just ask John McAulliffe.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com