#1 2009-03-30 12:15:46

Jeb

Sorry, the 1% meal tax talk prompts me with this.....

Yes, smoking is bad for your health and kills many people. Everyone knows that or at least should in today’s time.
   Like every thing we consume, use and enjoy, it is taxed in one way, shape, form or another.
   With that said, starting April 1st the Federal Excise tax will be increased by 158% on most all tobacco and related products. Most all I say because ‘rolling tobacco’ will be increased by over 2,000%. Nope, no typo or an added zero by mistake.
   The FET on a pack of cigs goes from .39 to $1.10.
   The FET on a pound of ‘rolling tobacco’ goes from $1.97 to $24.64.
Pro smoker or anti, you can’t help but see the disparity in taxation here.

Now as with any so called “sin tax”. This tax is supposedly passed to modify ‘unhealthy’ behavior and pledged to be spent on victims and education etc…. Yea right.
Think about that when someone rushing to the Methadone clinic for his or her State funded fix cuts you off.
   So now…. seeing as heart disease is the number 1 killer with it’s symptom of obesity seen everywhere you look, why is it Twinkies,  bacon or cooking oil are not taxed appropriately?

When they do…..trust me….they will at some time, tax ‘unhealthy food’. Do you think I should be outraged even though I eat healthy and this tax will not effect me?

Just ‘food’ for thought.

Last edited by Jeb (2009-03-30 12:27:39)

#2 2009-03-30 13:37:45

Jeb although an avid non smoker i have to agree with you.  The federal and state levying of these taxes is no different that the town's creation of new(meal) ttaxes to solve the problem of improper planning and spending.  spend and tax in that order over and over. 

notice the outrage about the gas tax quiets the talk or at least slows it down because we all use gas.  smokers are becoming the minority  and cant effectively fight back.  besides they are addicted they can't not buy them.Even smokers will agree that it is a disgusting habit that has nothing but bad consequences.  as such it is an easy target for the propaganda machine.  Who can argue with raising the smoking tax when even smokers want to quit. 

I am also of the  belief where smokers actually do themselves in early and save money from long term care , pension, social security etc.

dont see them taxing teenage girls for making poor choices and getting pregnant  actually they are rewarded and supported.
courts wont punish criminals
but we can quantify and punish a target group based on an ability and willingness to pay.

#3 2009-03-30 13:41:40

At the same time Obama is implementing a new law to reduce medical benefits for military personnel who fought (and were injured and disabled) for this country.

I never thought id live to see these days

Last edited by oneeardog (2009-03-30 13:43:09)

#4 2009-03-30 13:48:11

Jeb wrote:

The FET on a pound of ‘rolling tobacco’ goes from $1.97 to $24.64.

Yep, when the extra pound I bought and stored in the basement disappears, you'll all be sorry. Is there any creature on this planet more loathsome than a jonsing smoker? Stay tuned!

#5 2009-03-30 19:43:43

Just by way of no harm, Jeb, know anyone wants a slightly used Top-O-Matic?

#6 2009-03-30 20:05:44

Jeb wrote:

When they do…..trust me….they will at some time, tax ‘unhealthy food’.

I believe the "great" gov. of MA has already mentioned taxing soda and candy in the future.  DAMN!

Last edited by commonsense (2009-03-30 20:06:00)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com