Tools: E-Mail
Print
Comments
Share StumbleUpon
Newsvine
del.icio.us
Digg

WAREHAM - 

A Wareham officer painted by allegations of excessive force was cleared by an investigation of the Bristol County District Attorney’s office.

The DA’s office found that Officer Michael Smith’s actions were consistent with departmental policy and did not exceed what Smith thought was necessary to gain control of the situation.

WELL, WELL, BRUCE AND COMPANY THANKS FOR WHAT WE ALREADY KNEW.  THE BOS PUSHED HARD FOR THIS INDEPENDANT STUDY AND THEY GOT THE SAME RESULT AS THE WAREHAM POLICE DID. THANKS SLAGER FOR PROMOTING RACIAL TENSIONS IN WAREHAM TO SELL PAPERS YOU SCUM. WHY DONT YOU APOLOGIZE TO OFFICER SMITH?

#2 2009-02-23 18:51:03

Geez, you'd think this would be breaking news on the Slobserver's site........ NOT!

#3 2009-02-23 19:14:26

TO:        All Media Outlets
DATE:    February 23, 2009
RE:      Review of Excessive Force Complaint

I am pleased to report that an independent review of our investigation of an alleged excessive force complaint against a Wareham officer resulted in the verification of our original findings. On July 10, 2008, Officer Michael Smith affected the arrest of a 15-year old female during a disturbance in Onset Center. As a result, several complaints alleging the use of excessive force were filed against the officer. On July 31, the Department completed its investigation into these complaints and determined that the officer had not used excessive force and that his actions were appropriate and in conformance with Department standards.

One of the complainants was not satisfied with these findings and asked the Board of Selectmen to review our findings. The Board asked the Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office to review this matter. Due to a conflict with the Plymouth D/A’s Office, who would be prosecuting the alleged victim, the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office was asked to conduct the investigation. On February 6, 2009, Assistant District Attorney John Stapleton forwarded his findings to the Town. He reported that Sgt. William Delaney of the Mass State Police provided a comprehensive investigatory file on this matter. ADA Stapleton reviewed this file, all of the reports and statements of those involved, the law, and the Department’s “Use of Force” Policy.

Attorney Stapleton found that: “The use of force by the officer in this matter was consistent with what the Wareham Police policy allowed. Further, the lack of any injury to the female juvenile is further indication that the officer only used the amount of force necessary given the resistance and the need to gain control as perceived by the officer. For the reasons stated above, the conclusion reached by Wareham Police Lt. Brightman was warranted and appropriate.”

I wish to thank Officer Smith for his patience and his handling of these allegations in such a professional manner. I trust that these findings will help assure the integrity of the Department’s Internal Affairs practices in the mind of the public.

#4 2009-02-23 19:15:02

Cheers Packey Lackey

#5 2009-02-23 19:35:43

I'm sure Ragman will fully report on this...on page 987 of the Rag, in extremely tiny font.

#6 2009-02-23 20:26:52

And he'll steal it from other papers because no one sends him the news anymore

#7 2009-02-23 22:35:10

TBL

I suggest that everyone buy a police scanner because you can find out an awful lot about what really goes on in town. Word going around is the son of ragman's man of the year had a brush with the law last week. Apparently Mr. Fontes' son took his sweet time pulling over for the police so his buddy that was wanted on a felony warrant could pick a good spot to jump out of the car and run. The felon was caught after a foot chase but when the cops went back to where it all started Mr. Fontes' son was long gone. The cops tracked him down but decided not to arrest him because they knew it would just turn into another racial tension fueled mess courtesy of the ragman and the board of selectmen.

That young man got the break of his life. So much for police retaliation against those that come forward, huh ragman? You know, those evil cops and that "code of silence" that you seem to know so much about.

Last edited by TBL (2009-02-23 22:41:09)

#8 2009-02-24 08:56:48

I don't know if you blogsters noticed the Ragman has a new column about the investigation at the bottom of the front page of the rag website - "The Excessive Force of Political Partisans."  Predictably, the Ragman absolves himself of any wrongdoing.

QUOTH THE RAGMAN - "Personally I have a high threshold for political smearing. It comes with the territory. But I take strong exception to claims that somehow this paper enflamed racial tension in order to sell newspapers. First of all, the paper was free at the time. Secondly, there is so much news generated in this town that we don’t have to manufacture any."

AND THIRDLY, YOUR PAPERS AREN'T SELLING ANYWAY!!!

#9 2009-02-24 09:18:44

** Once again, the truth according to Slager.  Just by reading the press release, you can debunk his claims...

Slager says...

"According to a press release issued by Police Chief Thomas Joyce, the family of the alleged victim then asked for an external investigation."

Press release says....

One of the complainants was not satisfied with these findings and asked the Board of Selectmen to review our findings.

** That would be Mr. Fontes.  He went to the board during a public BOS meeting.

Press release continues....

"The Board asked the Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office to review this matter...."

** That says THE BOARD ASKED!

Slager continues...

Many police officers in this town have been adamant about individuals following the proper procedure for filing excessive force complaints. That is exactly what happened in this case. A complaint was filed with local police. And internal investigation was conducted. The alleged victim’s family was unsatisfied with the result and requested an external investigation. The town properly responded to that request.

** Once again, the press release says one of the complainants (in this case, a witness), not the family.  The family never approached the board (or co-operated with the investigation).  FACT!

Slager continues...

The only apology necessary should come from a police administration that needlessly put one of its officers through a terrible ordeal because of its own arrogance.

Press release says....

For the reasons stated above, the conclusion reached by Wareham Police Lt. Brightman was warranted and appropriate.”

** So Bristol agrees there was nothing wrong with Brightman's investigation, so how can you say it was flawed?  Another twisting of the facts by Slager

Last edited by commonsense (2009-02-24 09:42:43)

#10 2009-02-24 13:22:46

I think Viking summed it up best: Ha ha

#11 2009-02-24 14:28:02

TBL

From the ragman's article - "In an effort to reduce the tension, Smith volunteered to be reassigned away from Onset. His request was denied by police".

Stop the lies ragman! Officer Smith DID NOT work in Onset for several months after this incident. So apparently his request was granted. The only problem was that none of the cops wanted to work in Onset anymore because you helped to make it a no win situation for them. The end result was cops were reluctantly assigned to Onset to deal with troublemakers who were now emboldened by your indirect support of them.

#12 2009-02-24 21:06:43

Bruce the Bastard is droning on and on disregarding the that the Investigation cleared the officer of excessive force...and he can go on and on and say nothing worthwhile.  He doesn't think they should apologize for asking for an independent investigation...blAH...BLAH...

Oh now they are just disregarding the investigation....it's all the chief's fault.....someone according to Brenda just blew the investigation off....

Last edited by Mixie (2009-02-24 21:13:30)

#13 2009-02-24 21:18:17

Nameless people on websites..hahahah...according to Brenda...and irresponsible journalism..hahaha what a joke she is.  We're not nameless. I am Mixie, there is ihateliz and on and on and on...well they are voyers and bastards and power hungry monsters.

#14 2009-02-24 21:40:29

Im I Hateslager I Have A Name?

#15 2009-02-24 21:50:25

Anyone with any, um...common sense...knows that I am commonsense

#16 2009-02-24 22:14:31

I'm an artificial intelligence super robot computer built by the power elite to randomly generate anti-BOS and anti-Ragman comments.  Hence, my name, "The Hamatron5000."

Beep beep beep. System error, control alt delete...beep....

#17 2009-02-24 22:27:33

Also, I'm amazed, but I agree with Brenda for once in that I too say shame on the irresponsible journalists....shame on you Ragman!!!

#18 2009-02-25 01:42:37

TBL

Wow! I thought Slager would say very little about this subject but I read his website and Slager has quite the case of white guilt. Apparently he is the spokesperson for the Cape Verdean community. Slager, let me offer you this advice. As long as you know deep inside your heart that you treat everyone the same regardless of their race, then there is no need for your white guilt.

Last edited by TBL (2009-02-25 01:45:44)

#19 2009-02-25 15:10:53

TBL wrote:

. Slager, let me offer you this advice. As long as you know deep inside your heart that you treat everyone the same regardless of their race, then there is no need for your white guilt.

Well as I remember, there have been many minorities on boards until the present board and the rag chased all the people away.  I know of many educated people who would consider serving but shy away because they
don't want to be the victim of the wrath of robert slager or want to listen to bruce and brenda drone on and on as if they had something intellegent to say.  Nope just llike to revel in their imaginary importance....
a nameless blogger telling it like it is.....but if anyone cares, my name is Mixie.  Brenda M.I.X.I.E. - not nameless you dork...

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com