#1 2009-09-12 16:56:03

Lest we take our eyes off the ball, I'm going to create three threads about the three main upcoming town meeting issues. 

KEEP CIVIL SERVICE, NO LACKEY POLICE CHIEF!  Don't let politics interfere with public safety!  Keep a strong police chief in charge of the police force, not a bunch of hack politicians that just want to look out for their buddies!

Post your thoughts below:

#2 2009-09-12 17:31:42

Amen!

#3 2009-09-12 18:08:54

If I lived in Wareham no doubt I'd vote against giving the BOS the power to hire and fire the police chief at will. In another town if I trusted the BOS to keep politics out of this I'd have to study the issue more. I did a Google search and found that this has been a major controversy in many towns in Massachusetts.

If I lived in a town where I trusted the BOS but they wanted to change police chief hiring from civil service I'd damn well want to know chapter and verse as to their reasons.

If I were a chief in a town that didn't have civil service covering me you better believe I wouldn't accept the job unless I had an iron clad contract assuring I could only be fired for cause.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to be an "at will" chief under this BOS.

#4 2009-09-12 19:19:13

The mentality of this BOS and other elected officials, together with the incompetence of the ITA, is very much why the operations of our community is at it's worse ever. 
The only thing that at least protected one department head (the chief) from their assault was the civil service status, which must have frustrated them thus causing the announcement for a warrant article to change it.  I can't speak to the relationship that the department members had with the chief but I can suspect it was in part the cause for the audit; to somehow find "cause" to remove him under the civil service protection. 
It's all about control under this leadership. So regardless of the language in the Charter, which strictly prohibits the interference with operations, together with a very weak ITA who very much needs a pay check, he won't do or say anything other than what he's told. 
They have violated EVERY governing document within their elected jurisdiction and the only way to change that is a recall or to replace them upon the expiration of their terms. 
I have to confess, with all that has transpired since our community meeting, I'm concerned with how much more damage THEY will cause OUR community.

#5 2009-09-12 22:53:47

crime index.. U.S. average = 320.9---wareham 330.0

Officers per 1,000 residents here:   2.26
US city average:   3.00

Read more: www.city-data.com/city/Wareham-Massachu … z0Qx2A8Yby
great link lots of info..

#6 2009-09-13 10:31:12

"We are not alone....."

Here's  another "google game":
This time you have to type in four words:

police chief  civil service

Pages and pages of squabbles like ours from coast to coast........

#7 2009-09-13 10:50:22

Many of these are from Massachusetts. To cut down the Google results from over 5 million to about 140,000 search "police chief" "civil service" using quotes.

#8 2009-09-13 19:34:23

Found this on the Police Union website:  http://www.warehampoliceunion.com/10001.html

I see there is more to come.

Last edited by commonsense (2009-09-13 19:40:13)

#9 2009-09-13 19:58:14

excellent letter.. i am grateful the police union is taking steps to educate the voters as to what this really means..

#10 2009-09-13 20:00:16

Keep in mind, when was it, a year or two or so ago, Brockton Brenda announced she'd discovered something from the 1930's that meant the Chief was not civil service, they all latched onto it, ranted and raved the Chief was not a strong chief, they could fire him anytime they want blah blah blah, then all of a sudden they got quiet about it, never mentioned a word, as if a lawyer told them fat chance it'll never work....they've been trying to put their own lackey chief into power for a long time so they can all be wannabe cops and run the police department.

#11 2009-09-13 21:35:06

Here's the best account of the debacle: http://www.onewareham.com/index.php?opt … &Itemid=62

By the way, word is the Police Chief found the original document from 1938 and brought it before the board at Executive Section...but that may just be an urban legend....or is it?

Last edited by commonsense (2009-09-13 21:35:21)

#12 2009-09-13 21:59:55

commonsense wrote:

Found this on the Police Union website:  http://www.warehampoliceunion.com/10001.html

I see there is more to come.

Also, what was the actual revenue that parking tickets generated last year?

That's a good question. We should also know how many of the Crime Watch patrol are authorized to write tickets, how many they wrote, how many were contested in court, their disposition and whether they were reimbursed for their court appearances.

#13 2009-09-13 22:16:16

common great link.. this seems to be the MO for this board first this brenda says it wasnt filed properly, westfield bruce states the bos then in 1977 filed it wrong.. seems if it isnt what they(BOS) want someone didnt do something right in the past..

#14 2009-09-14 07:09:00

The town did in fact follow proper procedure in1938 according to what the law was at that time. The law was later changed, but that does not affect the way the action was taken in 1938.  It cost me nothing but a little time to do my homework.

THATS RIGHT BUT IT DID COST YOU THE TAXPAYERS A COUPLE THOUSAND DOLLARS TO HAVE KOPELMAN AND PAGE RESEARCH THIS AFTER BRENDA'S RESEARCH. THANKS BRENDA!

#15 2009-09-14 07:22:53

brocton brenda beers any one,   what a bitch.

#16 2009-09-14 08:31:53

Good for Claire Smith and her research.
Brilliant lady!

#17 2009-09-26 13:00:15

Keep Civil Service...no lackey police chief!

#19 2009-09-26 14:11:55

Capt. C  s I continually  read these articles and I notice that some people have many opinions about cetain individuals. It is to bad that these individuals are afraid or lack the courage to be identified .  I am sure that these same individuals step back and allow other people to do their bidding.

#20 2009-09-26 14:23:35

cap c...have you received my PMs'?
I would like to hear from you :)

#21 2009-09-26 17:31:53

Published: August 10, 2009 01:21 am    ShareThis PrintThis 

Letter: Chief's work arrangement serves town well

To the editor:

In response to your recent editorial "Town needs a full-time police chief," I would like to provide your readers with some additional information that the North Andover Board of Selectmen used in making its determination to allow our police chief, Richard Stanley, to work as an interim chief in another town.

Chief Stanley will be eligible to retire with full benefits in October of this year. While the chief has not set a firm date, we anticipate that it will be sooner rather than later. The Board of Selectmen, as the appointing authority for the police chief, views the chief's absences as an opportunity to informally evaluate potential successors within the department. The Town of North Andover will continue to be served in a professional capacity without any diminishment of staff or expertise. It is unrealistic to presume that a chief of police would be on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Responses have always been shared by command staff.

As is the case with most municipal employees when they retire, they are eligible for termination benefits including accumulated vacation leave. These benefits, especially for higher paid employees, can result in substantial lump-sum payments. By having Chief Stanley use his vacation leave in advance of his retirement, the town avoids this potential large cash expenditure.

Chief Stanley, with the support of the Board of Selectmen, has for many years served in leadership positions for the North East Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council. This is a regional group of cities and towns that have joined together to provide police services that one municipality alone could not afford, such as SWAT teams and mobile command units. The chief has agreed to step down from those time-consuming posts in order to free up additional hours.

As stated, this arrangement will be reviewed by the selectmen at the end of a 60-day trial period. If it is found that the arrangement is detrimental in any way to the town, the arrangement will immediately be terminated.

As any one of the hundreds of people who attended North Andover's National Night Out event on Aug. 4 can testify, our town is blessed with a professional, well trained and highly motivated police department due in no small part to the leadership of Chief Stanley. By allowing the chief to work part-time in Wareham, we are helping out another community that needs his expertise and experience during a difficult period while at the same time providing North Andover with an opportunity to implement an effective police department leadership transition plan.

TRACY WATSON

Chairman

Board of Selectmen

North Andover
ShareThis PrintThis

#22 2009-09-26 17:54:36

Who gives a crap about North Andover, Mass.?
Except someone from there.
It is an insult for the Selectmen of another Town to imply that the Town of Wareham does not have one SINGLE person that qualifies to be Chief of Police.
What a wonderful time to be a Police Officer in Wareham, huh?
Let me think...now...what is the word..oh, gosh...I almost have it...gee...of yeah...BULLSHIT!!

#23 2009-09-26 17:56:57

Oh...I forgot...
Get the can of Raid!!!
Another great contribution from the moles to take your minds off of the only thing you should be thinking of: Town Meeting.

#24 2009-09-26 19:06:23

The town of Wareham is lucky they picked Paul Stanley as their stand in. He seems to be righting numerous wrongs.  He'd make a great permanent chief.  These guys are working on a skeleton budget and are seriously under manned.   How long will it be before they cut his legs out from under him...

#25 2009-09-26 19:10:45

Good question, big john...how long before they tell him what to do, when to do it, and what to say.
If he is not protected by Civil Service as a permanent Chief of Police...how long is right.

#26 2009-09-26 20:03:27

The Wareham POLICE CHIEF is under the Strong Chief Statue. He is incharge of the Budget, manpower and equipment. Any order by the Chief of Police can not be remanded by the Selectman. It is this statue that gives him the autonomy to do the job, the Department of Personnel Administration replaces Civil Service. There are 5 chiefs from the Mass. Police Chief Association who assists with the Department of Personel Administrator, the head cheese is in an acting position.

#27 2009-09-26 20:19:33

Good point, capt c...This obviously applies to a full time, permanent Chief of Police under Civil Service.
Now...answer my PMs'...

#28 2009-09-26 21:27:17

Hypothetical:
A long serving Police Officer in Wareham achieves, after many years on the job and formal education, a high ranking status on the Department.
There is an opening for Chief. This man has taken, and passed, the Chief's exam, and is fully qualified to be the Chief of Police of Wareham.
He was a street cop and worked his way up. He is respected by his peers. He is an educator, lecturer and writer. He understands cops, and he understands administration. He has demonstrated many times over in his career that he is brave, well educated, competent and above reproach.
The Board of Selectmen offer him a term of office of 2 and a half years as Chief of Police.
Why?
He is insulted and confused.
Why?
He refuses the offer.
Why?
Would he have taken the job as a non-Civil Service Chief with a contract?
Probably not. He has already seen what contracts that are broken are for:  toilet paper.
His only protection was Civil Service.
But..the biggest question is... why?
Why 2 and a half years?
He was smart not to accept the position. He knows what lurks behind the scenes, he has seen it many times in his career.
He should think about only one thing: WHY?
Keep the Civil Service Chief of Police.
Don't insult anyone else.
Don't insult the nearly 50 men and women that are qualified to be the Chief of Police by saying...you are not good enough.
How many cops on the Wareham Police Department took the Chief of Police's test?
How many passed?
Pick one!
It's not brain surgery.

#29 2009-09-27 00:42:31

Dan,

A little bit of research and info from WPD will tell you that the whole problem with the chief's position right now is that there is no active chief's civil service list at WPD.  There has not been a test requested since the late 80's. Who would have called for the test and helped this whole situation? The great Tom Joyce. Who suffers now from the decision to never have an active list? Everyone - especially Lt. Wallace, who probably would have passed the test and would have gotten the chief's job. You should be able to understand this.

#30 2009-09-27 09:04:06

I understand what you are saying. I am dismayed that the test hasn't been called for. Now is the time for the BOS to call for the test and ultimately get the list of qualified candidates.
The BOS should have a little foresight in the event the Town Meeting doesn't go along with their plan to remove the Chief from Civil Service.
Thank you OCrush for the information.

#31 2009-09-27 11:13:06

OCrush wrote:

Dan,

A little bit of research and info from WPD will tell you that the whole problem with the chief's position right now is that there is no active chief's civil service list at WPD.

Does that mean if we don't remove the chief's position from civil service, none of the WPD is eligible for the chief's position?  If that is true, by removing civil service, wouldn't that enlarge the list of possible candidates significantly, and include Lt. Wallace, as well as any other qualified WPD officers?  Personally, I'd like to see an officer who has "done his time" for this town and done it well be promoted...is there another way of this happening without the removal of cs?

And why wouldn't Joyce have requested the steps to be taken to have an active list....there hasn't been one since the late 80's? No anticipation of retirement?  Is this a direct result of having a "strong chief"?  Does anyone know if anyone in the department eligible to take the test ever inquired about it? 

O'Crush...thank you for sharing your knowledge...the more info that is shared, the easier it is to try and make an informative decision...exactly what I was hoping for here...again, thanks...if I ever run into anyone someone with an orange mustache, I'll want to shake their hand!!!

#32 2009-09-27 11:24:33

Capt C. If a test was called for it would be open not only to the Lieutenants but also  all sergeants. If they caould not get enough supervisors to take the test at 250 dollars it woulod be open to the patrol people also.

#33 2009-09-27 11:41:16

MsLilly,  If the position stays in CS, a test will have to be requested. According to the CS web site, that test would not be until May of 2010. The scores of that test would not be known for months after the test. Capt. C can correct me if I am wrong, but only the top three marks can be considered, even if 20 officers passed the test. If the position is taken out of CS, everyone can be considered, including those from out of town. My former home town took the position from CS and had great success, with the chief being selected by a group made of civilians and town officials.

#34 2009-09-27 11:54:38

Capt. C, So what you are telling me is that Lt. Bliss will be one of the main people considered for the chief's position if we stay in CS?  WOW.

#35 2009-09-27 11:55:15

Please look at the history of the current leaders. The number of unqualified people placed in positions. We can revisit this question when we have more stable leaders. Hopefully starting in April.

I believe the CS is to protect the people from leaders will punish people who disagree with them. This town is not stable enough to make any changes. The number of lawsuits is evidence of that.

#36 2009-09-27 12:44:04

Wow Is Right !!  It Is Amazing What The Department Has Turned Into. This Bos Has Created An Environment That Has The Officers All Jocking For Position Throughout The Department. It Is Absolutely Horrible. These Men And Woman Depend On Each Other On The Street And Now There Is Such Animosity And Positioning The Loyalty And Brotherhood Is Completely Gone And Each Officer Is Out For Themselves.  There Are Three Or Four Officers / Sergeant That Are Totally Out Of Control And Running Wild.  These Of Course Are Officers That Have Had Issues Their Entire Time With The Pd.  They Think That Now The Evil Tom Joyce Is Gone All There Troubles Are Gone. They Are Still Who They Are And Will Always Be, Just Wait And Watch.  My Guess Is That Mr. Ocrush Is Probably The Most Hated Sergeant In The Department That Happens To Be Number One On The Lt. List.  It Is Amusing Since He Has Probably Been Behind The Scenes For Years Feeding The Bos False Information And Was Probably Very Involved In The False Information That Was Used To Fire Lt. Bliss. It Is Just To Much Of A Coincidence That Ocrush Only Pops Up When It Is Time To  Bad Mouth Lt. Wallace Or Lt. Bliss And From What I Hear He Still Is On A Daily Basis Just So Desperately Trying To Get There Jobs. He Has No Shame!!!! Ask Any Member Of The Department In Private And You Will Get The Same Response From 95% But They Wont Say It Publicly Because They Are Afraid Of Retaliation And They Have To Work For And With Him.  Just Ask, It Is Very Well Known. It Is Awful What Some People Will Do To Ahead, If They Only Just Concentrated On Working Hard And Getting Educated Then None Of This Other Horrible Nonsense Would Be Needed.

#37 2009-09-27 12:49:54

Dan, in one of your posts you wrote something to the effect of an officer with many devoted  years on the force in a high ranking position and fully qualified for the chief's position. Let's go further. In addition, he/she is very well liked in the community and is clearly the right person for the job. You better hope this person doesn't finish 4th on the test! Would not even be considered.

#38 2009-09-27 12:51:11

OCrush...It seems as though your former home town is in the majority...I just read on another website that 75% of the rest of the commonwealth does not require CS...that's a substantial percentage...is the Lt. Bliss you referred to the one that was fired?  I would have to second that WOW if that is true...

CaptC...is it true that only the top 3 scoring candidates are considered?

onboard19...when you said "CS is to protect the people from leaders [who] will punish people who disagree with them", did you mean to say "chief" instead of "people"?  This is obviously a "learning" discussion...what type of situations will CS protect us (citizens) from leaders punishing us for disagreeing with them? 

Another point for discussion...if we don't agree with amount of power a Mayor possess, why aren't we concerned with the power a "strong chief" wields?

#39 2009-09-27 13:15:18

It would seem to me the liars and truth twisters have joined this site. We need to remember that the truth will out. Please do not vote for a mayoral form of government, taking the chief out of civil service or the Westfield project a this town meeting. You are being pushed in the wrong direction. Big decisions need time and contemplation and information.

I'm sure the people above will twist this in some way. Please think carefully and make sure you do not have a shadow of a doubt before you vote.

#40 2009-09-27 13:21:45

I am sure you don't have to worry about Lt. Bliss as your next chief.  After he is fully reinstated ( very soon) by the civil service commission for the political, personal, and false accusation that were made against him, he would surly not want any part of being chief in this crazy town.  When his decision does come out it will be jaw dropping and will show the exact reason you don't take the Chief out of civil service and allow lunatics like this BOS and the puppet ITA to make these decisions like they did with Bliss.

#41 2009-09-27 13:22:38

MOLES everywhere.

#42 2009-09-27 13:22:49

Jet,  So much hate. I can assure you that I am not employed with you at the police department. I remain anonymous just as you do. I only wanted to provide info.

#43 2009-09-27 13:44:45

godhelpwareham wrote:

When his decision does come out it will be jaw dropping and will show the exact reason you don't take the Chief out of civil service and allow lunatics like this BOS and the puppet ITA to make these decisions like they did with Bliss.

Wasn't the chief civil service when all this happened to Bliss?  So not taking the Chief out of civil service helps prevent this situation from happening again how? 

False information and lies has been referred to a couple of times re: Lt. Bliss' "departure"...I thought it had to do with running a side business...was there additional circumstances that I missed or that hasn't been released yet?

Onboard...could you give some reasoning behind why we should vote  "no"  on a Mayor, Civil Service and the Westfield project...it is hard to sway support for an argument when all we have to go on is "because I said so..."  I always hated that as a kid and now as an adult, I actually know why...

#44 2009-09-27 14:00:03

No the the power crazed BOS went  around and against the chief, MCcauliffe , and Town council to act on there plan of attack with a hired gun. U are still spreading mis information about Bliss, and as you will see he is allowed to have a side business and did nothing wrong. He is an american and has the same rights as you and others in town. Being a police officer you don't give up your rights.  Thats why we need a strong Chief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#45 2009-09-27 14:09:21

Not only will Bliss be back, he will be chief within 2 years. No doubt about it. People can "jockey" all they want, but this will happen. Also, for the record, the chief's position will remain in CS.

#46 2009-09-27 14:36:13

Amen to godhelp.

MsLilly - I gave reasons please reread.

In my opinion
We need a strong chief to protect the job from the out of control selectmen.
We do not have enough research to kill a form of government that has served us so well for so many years. Yes the selectmen have given us a bad taste in our mouths. However one does not toss out the baby with the bath water. Lets change the selectmen and see how well the town does.
The information on Westfield is very sketchy and controversial. I believe there are alternatives.

People please get all the information you can and make the best decision. When in doubt wait and get more information. These questions can wait until the next town meeting.

I do not wish to continue to feed Mslilly and friends. I believe in free speech and allowing people to differ in their opinions. Again I urge everyone to make informed decisions.

#47 2009-09-27 14:36:43

Godhelpwareham...thank you...I did not know the false accusations being referred to was in reference to whether or not Bliss could have a business in the first place...I thought it had to do with circumstances surrounding the business...can you really not have your own business if you are a police officer?

#48 2009-09-27 14:49:41

onboard19 wrote:

I do not wish to continue to feed Mslilly and friends. I believe in free speech and allowing people to differ in their opinions. Again I urge everyone to make informed decisions.

Even though you no longer wish to contribute to my "feeding" of information, your response was appreciated.  I should have read through the threads to find out if you had already stated what you had based your decisions on.  I took the easier route...

I agree with you...no Mayor

Still don't know enough about pros/cons of Civil Service to make a decision...

And I'm leaning on not voting for Westfield unless someone has any reason why we shouldn't look at improving/enlarging the housing we already have...

#50 2009-09-27 15:18:36

Under CS the top three would be considered for the position. Number 4 could be reached if the appointing authority can justify why. Experience and dedication to the town means nothing. Does the top mark mean that is the best qualified candidate? I honestly believe that mark and the use of the Assessment Procedure
is warranted. Also another way  is to take another CS Chief as a lateral tansfer.

#51 2009-09-27 15:55:47

capt c...I think I get it...those that qualify at the WPD take the test...the top 3 scorers are then added to the "list" and then from that list, we look for a chief...

PShooter...great link...

Thanks to both of you....

#52 2009-09-27 16:00:58

Good point, capt c...appoint a civil Service Chief pending the examination for Chief to be taken by all qualified.
The new Chief would be Civil Service but with a short term contract.
At the end of the process of testing, the candidates for Chief would be interviewed, assessed, etc. by the Board of Selectmen and hopefully an outside committee appointed for that process only.
Former Police Officers, business people and leaders of the community could be appointed to the Commission.
The process would be fair and equitable, and would give local cops the opportunity of at least being considered.

#53 2009-09-27 18:04:59

I agree that you must blame the BOS for this problem. One of the most important thing a boss should do is to train someone to fill in during his absence. It is important that the Town Administrator ensures this is being done to keep the organization  running smoothly and the transition less stressful. Everyone should know what the organization's goals and objective are. Any time a decision is made that is personal the good of the organization will suffer.

#54 2009-09-27 18:59:19

Some context.

The selection process that installed Tom Joyce as chief 20 some odd years ago was equally brutal.

At least now, the combantants are publicly talking to each other. Sort of.

#55 2009-09-27 22:56:32

capt c wrote:

Capt. C  s I continually  read these articles and I notice that some people have many opinions about cetain individuals. It is to bad that these individuals are afraid or lack the courage to be identified .  I am sure that these same individuals step back and allow other people to do their bidding.

I disagree, Paul.  I am not one to write a letter to the editor, either, because I don't like idea of my name being in print.  I don't like finger pointing after seeing my name.  I have more of shyness problem than others.  Some people know who I am and I'm okay with that.  I have a forum on this site that allows me to speak from the heart and I dont step back to let other's do my bidding.  I will be at town meeting.  I will vote.  You have a rather loud way about you (not bad) but I turn red very easily, whether I am right or wrong.  It's just my individual personality.  I don't  like being in the lime light.

#56 2009-09-27 23:12:08

I agree bornof..We have every right to express ourselves the way we do. I suggest starting a forum of your own where anonymity is forbidden.

I give respect, and expect it back. We all have experience to draw from, no ones more relevant than the next.
We each choose to fight the battles in our own ways. Who's to say what someone does that you're unaware of, or which is more effective.

I welcome and value your experience and opinion, CaptC, please return the courtesy.  There are reasons I, personally, prefer to remain "undercover". Mostly because in large part, it's irrelevant to what I've been trying to do. If you'd like to contact me through email or private message, I'll let you know who I am (trust me, you never heard of me). But if it'll legitimize my input, in your eyes, I have no problem with it.

pshooter59@yahoo.com

PShooter

Last edited by PShooter (2009-09-27 23:13:08)

#57 2009-09-28 15:48:46

TBL

Bliss may get his job back but he likely will never be chief. It doesn't matter if he deserved to get fired or not but the fact that he was fired casts a dark shadow over his career and makes his chances of ever being chief very small. That is just the way it is.

#58 2009-10-03 23:54:45

OCrush wrote:

Jet,  So much hate. I can assure you that I am not employed with you at the police department. I remain anonymous just as you do. I only wanted to provide info.

Yup!  Okay!  Right!  Really!     I remember a post from you a while back that was down right nasty.  "so much hate".

#59 2009-10-04 00:07:47

OCrush wrote:

Not only will Bliss be back, he will be chief within 2 years. No doubt about it. People can "jockey" all they want, but this will happen. Also, for the record, the chief's position will remain in CS.

Do you know something that the rest of us don't?  I can only ASSUME that what you have said:   Bliss will be back
                                Bliss will be chief within 2 years
                                The chief's position will remain in C.S.

is an assumption on your part.  If this is true, than you must be getting information from the ITA or the BOS.  Not very comforting either way.

#60 2009-10-04 00:22:53

capt c wrote:

I agree that you must blame the BOS for this problem. One of the most important thing a boss should do is to train someone to fill in during his absence. It is important that the Town Administrator ensures this is being done to keep the organization  running smoothly and the transition less stressful. Everyone should know what the organization's goals and objective are. Any time a decision is made that is personal the good of the organization will suffer.

I believe all the time that Lt. Wallace has put in under Chief Joyce was his training.  Lt. Wallace has been doing chief Joyce's work for years and almost everyone knows it.  The only thing is that bottom line -Joyce had the final say.  If the ITA had let Lt. Wallace continue as acting chief for the next year, then the organization would have been kept running smoothly with little to no stress.  By bringing in a P.T. Chief from 80 miles away is not for the good of the organization.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com