• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » BoBo, geographically challenged when it comes to the Ol' Bay State

#1 2011-01-22 17:48:09

There are a plethora (a whole bunch, even) of reasons not to give even a grain (a very old, very small apothecary measure) of weight to anything the out-of-print buffoon writes. Here's one more: he cannot find any of the 351 cities & towns in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on a map with a GPS gadget in hand.

1. Some time ago, the Town hired a planner (I believe it was  -  was he that one-day wonder?), who had prior experience in "Redding". Redding?????? Had he been listening to Otis, my man (Animal House)? Or, had he driven the Mass turnpike between exits 2 & 3 and passed thru the Town of Otis, triggering thoughts of Otis Redding. We'll never know what strange electrical circuits snake thru the void between the ears of the BoBo.

2. Recently, he made reference to the Town of "Hopkington". Don't bother, you won't find it on any maps of Massachusetts.

3. But now, he has transcended all of that. He has MOVED a well-known Massachusetts coastal recreation area inland. Yes, the BoBo version of the State map now has Salisbury Beach located in Lawrence. No doubt, this will come as a great shock to the citizens of the Town of Salisbury. It is akin to moving Onset Beach to Brockton.

Just how did this state get by with misspellings like "Reading" and "Hopkinton" for so long, before BoBo arrived to set us straight? And while there is serious beach erosion taking place in the northeast corner of the State (Plum Island, for example), does BoBo have powers similar to Nostradamus, warning us that the beaches, like Salisbury Beach, will soon be many miles inland from Massachusetts Bay?

I'll be ordering the BoBo version of the State map today. It comes with a CD recorded by none other than the great one himself. Can't wait to hear him pronounce Natick, Worcester, Leicester, Leominster,  all of the Towns ending in "ham", etc.

Last edited by stewie (2011-01-22 17:49:53)

#2 2011-01-22 17:57:21

peabody???? hehe

#3 2011-01-22 18:28:43

stewie wrote:

2. Recently, he made reference to the Town of "Hopkington". Don't bother, you won't find it on any maps of Massachusetts.

That's quite a feat.

hopkinton, nh
hopkinton, ma
hopkinton, ri
hopkinton, ct

#4 2011-01-22 19:08:28

There once was a man from Nantucket...
Oh...you know.

#5 2011-01-23 13:33:56

Hey Liz!

Is it PEE-bawdy?

Or, is it Pib-uh-dee?

then, there is always Revere (Ra-ve-ah), Medford (Meffa), dorchester (DAW-ches-tuh), and the ultimate test:

Q-U-I-N-C-Y.

If in Mass., it is QUIN-zee; as in John QUIN-zee Adams, the 6th President.

In Ill. & elsewhere, it is QUINCE-ee

Always love to hear the new news dudes & dudettes stumble over these, and others.

#6 2011-01-23 14:09:04

Awright, Stewie, I got a challenge for ya.

How do you pronounce Woonsocket?

Can you say Barrington without holding your nose? Yeah, I know, Cranston takes at least a six of 'gansett and big hair helps. For bonus points, try Leominster. Jesus, who else can I insult today?

I know, how do you pronounce Wareham? This one really frosts my butt.

edit: sorry, didn't realize you covered some of this territory.

Last edited by billw (2011-01-23 14:14:33)

#7 2011-01-23 15:54:51

Hey Bill, no problem!

When in MA, it is: wun-SOCK-it
When in that city, it is: WOOOON-sock-ETTTTE.

Must be that State drink: Coffee Milk.

I paid attention during those three years spent at citizens bank, when it was a RI bank (26 branches, Woonsocket to Westerly).

Last edited by stewie (2011-01-23 15:56:41)

• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » BoBo, geographically challenged when it comes to the Ol' Bay State

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com