#1 2010-11-03 22:26:01

Town Meeting voters voted down an attempt to create a city council for the SECOND time this year.

Even though this time it was disguised as a board of selectmen, people know a bad idea when they see it.

#2 2010-11-03 23:08:39

I am glad to hear that, Ham.

There is hope.

#3 2010-11-04 00:20:38

Yes, we voted it down!  Slavin was falling apart, couldn't get the right answers out of his mouth.  Shame.  We spent 45 minutes on article 37, which was to change the format of town meeting, as we know it now, to allow special interest groups to petition for special elections (Official Ballot Vote) anytime their heart desires.  This would cost the town appr. $14,000 per special election (money coming from Town Clerk's budget).

The worst part of this was listening to 22 speakers.  These charter change recommendations are a waste of our time.  It did put a smile on my face though when they withdrew a few. 

Was real proud of Liz M. when she asked a question about what would happen (article 38) if no one from her precinct ran for selectman.  It took the wind out of Slavin's sails and I think it upset town council.  It was pretty quiet while they were trying to find an answer.

I have personally asked some elderly residents if they would like to go to town meeting with me so they wouldn't have to drive and the answer is always "no, thanks".   One told me Monday that - "Nope, I've done my time, let the younger ones take over."  I had no answer to that.

#4 2010-11-04 00:30:27

I am with Selectman Cruz 110%, this Charter Review Committee is bust.  The arrogance that pours out of Ed Pacevich is so thick you could cut it with a knife, if you wanted a mouthpiece for your committee to "Move Forward" your looking in the wrong place and tunnel vision runs throughout the committee. They presented the articles poorly and made mistakes that were fatal to any potential life there "proposals" may have had. The remainder of the articles will follow suit as the last thirty or so and when its over the two senior members of the BOS and the TA better take this as a big wake up call, we've had it with your BS.
And Ed, your half-assed nitrogen article is going to go down also, this is AGAIN another flimsy, thrown together article.

The moral of this story? Fresh Blood is needed to fill these committees. Too bad new people that wanted to join were shown the door!

#5 2010-11-04 00:33:21

Plum, your right about Liz M and Larry M, they do there homework, this town would be very fortunate to have either one of them on some of the bigger committee's or BOS for that matter.

#6 2010-11-04 00:41:30

The folks who have a deep seated reverence for the Town Meeting form of governance were on a roll tonight.

But let's not get cocky....There are still some warrant articles that could give us a  thinly disguised mayor system if passed. Don't put it past these clowns to get Grizz et al to bus  in the geezers on Monday.  Now more than ever we need to rally people to fend off a sneaky attempt to give us what we rejected last Spring.  Go team Go !!

#7 2010-11-04 09:19:15

They got the message loud and clear in the Spring that Wareham was opposed to getting rid of town meeting or adopting a city council.  I don't know why they didn't recognize that and abandon efforts to do so, but they didn't, and in the end, they were failures for the second time.  They must really love to be failures, they keep trying to bring back failed plans in different ways over and over again.

Speaking of failed plans brought back over and over, be sure to get out to vote against Westfield.  When proponents of this plan spent thousands of dollars on a consultant to assemble the information for this project, but now tell us that the consultant can't be trusted, then I don't know how we can reasonably be expected to support it.

#8 2010-11-04 14:24:24

Ahhh...Westfield...what would Town Meeting be without it?

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com