#1 2010-09-06 14:41:27

Hi. Looking for web link to Andrea Smith's article, "Beauty now playing in Wareham" ?

do you have jpgs you can email me??

please email to carsongrant@yahoo.com, thanks for great photos,

Carson Ferri-Grant

#2 2010-09-06 14:59:39

Oh, goody...

#3 2010-09-06 18:16:41

Wrong Observer Carson, and while I normally would never recommend anyone read the other since you are a part of the subject matter I will tell you that the other site is a pay to play site, meaning I can't link you to the article, but since you are doing such an excellent job on the marquis here it is. Please excuse the poor grammar and spelling errors, Bobo is so busy creating conspiracies and allegations into nickle copier schemes he hasn't any time left to edit.

Beauty now playing right here in Wareham

Rain poured down on a partially painted marquis last week but it didn’t dampen Janice Rogers’s spirits. Theatre in her blood, enthusiasm empowering her, Rogers looked at the marquis and saw the future. When finished, the marquis will mark the entrance to Buzzards Play Productions (a tuition-based after-school community theatre enrichment program for children grades 1-8).
    Expected to open this fall, the program will eventually expand to include older and younger children.
    Located Cranberry Commons at 3065 Cranberry Highway (the former Ocean Spray property across from Benny’s) Buzzards Play Productions will (when renovations are complete) incorporate an auditorium seating 150, a 14-x-29 foot stage, backstage area, choreography studio, concession area, box office, and lobby/art gallery into 3,000 square feet of leased space.
    In a tough economy funding for the venture has come from owner/director Rogers’s personal savings.
    "It’s called doing this," Rogers said as she swept her hands into a position of prayer and raised her eyes to the heavens. "When you believe in something this strongly you just know it can happen."
    With six years experience as drama program director at St. Margaret’s School in Buzzards Bay and 12 years experience as a second grade assistant at St. Margaret’s, Rogers has a lot of insight into children’s talent and creativity, as well as the self-esteem that rises when children recognize their own capabilities. That insight has given rise to the variety of workshops and opportunities Buzzards Play Productions will offer. Initial offerings will include theatre games, acting lessons, choreography, creative movement, voice coaching, public speaking and periodic stage performances. Audio visual classes, art classes, and a playwriting class are expected to be added in the near future.
    Watching children grow through theatre programs is among Rogers’s greatest joys.
    "When you give a child a task such as memorizing lines, knowing their cue, that’s their confidence builder. That’s their spot to shine. They can look back and say I did succeed," she said.
    Seeing children with a range of ages work together, watching a bond form as older children help younger children and seeing new found confidence, are also joys for Rogers.
    "When you put an older child in the position of leadership, they step up. You can see the pride. That’s what this is all about. If you want to build confidence do it on the stage; there’s no better place to build confidence," she said.
    A collection of photos of St. Margaret’s performances directed by Rogers show amateur theatre presented with professional quality. Sets are detailed. Costuming is exquisite; makeup perfect. Rogers smiled when the photos brought praise.
    She quickly gave credit to those who supported her efforts.
    "It’s called surrounding yourself with people that make you look good," Rogers said with a twinkle in her eye.
    Ten "strong supporters" are working along side Rogers to bring Buzzards Play Productions to fruition, among them Roger’s husband Frank and son Seth.
    "My husband keeps saying ‘I didn’t think this was part of the marriage contract.’ I say of course it was," Rogers said with a laugh.
    Rogers said she hopes Buzzards Bay Productions will draw children not only from Wareham but from surrounding communities as well.
     "I want to bring all of the communities together. I want to break down the barriers between towns and ages," she said.
     According to Rogers, theatre arts open up a whole new world for children who may not yet have found their niche.
    "I’m hoping to tap into kids who may not have succeeded in other areas," she said. "Maybe they don’t do so well on the soccer field or with grades, but they can find success on the stage."
    "I was the wicked step-mother in Cinderella in first or second grade, and my mother said ‘Janice, I’ve never seen you so happy.’ That’s what I want to give to kids that feeling of never having been so happy," Rogers added.
    A lot of work lies ahead for Rogers and her 10 supporters. First on their plate is a fund-raising craft fair to be held on-site Sept. 19 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Space is available for crafters – fee is $35 plus a donation for a raffle table. Crafters provide their own tables and chairs. If interested please call Michelle (508) 291-6053 or e-mail mg203@verizon.net.
    Also looming on the horizon is a production of Godspell Jr. with casting yet to be done. Participation is open teens as well as children. A fee of $125 which covers the cost of license, script and costumes is due upon registration or at first rehearsal. Inquiries may be made to buzzardsplayprod@aol.com
    Rogers took one last glance at the marquis.
    "New York artist Carson Ferri – Grant is free-handing the marquis," Rogers said, adding that marquis’s rendering when completed will reflect marshland that can be seen from the second floor of the former Ocean Spray building.
    "It’s beautiful," Rogers said of the marshland.
    Much like the art that will surely arise within Buzzards Play Productions.
Read More ...
Andrea Smith

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com