#1 2010-01-29 21:07:24

First the good news. Polling statistics indicate that on average, 4% of our population believes what the National Enquirer prints each week. For a publication like People Magazine it is 6%. It's safe to say that on average 5% of our entire population believes what they read in publications like these (including the Wareham Enquirer tabloid here too).

Now, for the not so good news. More than 90% of Enquirer readers are of voting age and they all vote. So let's put numbers on this. In Wareham many times only 10% of those eligible to cast ballots actually do. Enquirer voters while only 5% of the electorate disproportionately vote 90% of the time. This represents nearly 50% of the turnout in an election that draws only 10% of eligible voters.

This becomes scarier as the moon becomes fuller. It is the reason why  eligible citizens need to make an effort to register and then actually vote. If we don't, UFO sightings will certainly intensify and that's the truth.

#2 2010-01-29 21:09:21

Good point wag...

#3 2010-01-30 07:47:49

Mexicans take their voting privilege seriously in Tijuana and actually vote more than we do here in Wareham (and in the US). Have we become lazy, apathetic or ignorant? http://www.publiuspundit.com/?p=2767

#4 2010-01-30 08:56:51

GWB

Wag I respect what you are saying. But I think it was proven in the recent Senate election, If enough voters get angry about how they see thier government working they will come out and make thier vote count. I do not think anyone can deny that. We the voters of Massachusetts handed our senate seat to a Republican. This was a Seat held by the Democratic Party since before I was born. My belief is this definatly was done to send a message that we are tired of closed door politics in Washington and we demanded change.
   I would rather remain positve on our own April Election. There are many that I speak with that are very angry about the closed door politics going on in this Town and they are tired of it. I would not be surprised if this anger results in larger numbers at the polls this time around. They will be demanding change.

#5 2010-01-30 09:03:39

If you are an incumbent in any position in this Country, you have SERIOUS problems.
The last time I saw something like this was the Regan "revolution" in 1980.
Democrats (Reagan Democrats), Republicans, Independents, etc, all swept him into office.
Anti incumbency then...anti-incumbency now.

#6 2010-01-30 09:12:31

GWB

Yes Mr. Oconnell. I agree and that is what I am hoping is going to happen on a local level. Enough with the mismanaged,unprofessional Government officials we have now. It is time once again for a major change.

#7 2010-01-30 09:42:24

I don't care why voters choose to vote only that they do vote. I was thrilled  there were so many angry voters at the last election. However, the longterm experience in this town is one of low voter turnout. Unless voting becomes a habit, there is always the possibility the will of the people will not prevail. I hope that more than anger will bring them to the polls in April and keep them coming back in elections to come. I hope everyone tells their friends too so that we begin to understand why we have to vote and that its not just a knee jerk reaction to a short term problem.

#8 2010-01-30 09:58:51

GWB

True Wag but unfortunately the reality is when things are going well and running smoothly people become apathetic. When there are problems and change is needed people mobilize in order to bring about that change. Is it right, No. Should people exercise thier right to vote all the time, absolutely. History has shown us this does not happen. It bothers me that people act they way when it comes to voting but I'm not sure how to change it. I can only do my small part which is to remind the people I come in contact with that is important to vote and try to remind them that even though it may not seem like it at times thier vote really does matter.

#9 2010-01-30 10:15:31

Then Wareham should be ashamed of itself if it can't vote these deceiptful morons out of office: http://www.apsanet.org/content_51091.cfm . I hope its reported in all the newsmedia.

#10 2010-01-30 13:03:50

#11 2010-01-30 13:15:20

Very cool, Bill!

#12 2010-01-30 13:56:29

Main Entry: il·lit·er·ate
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈli-t(ə-)rət\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin illiteratus, from in- + litteratus literate
Date: 15th century
1 : having little or no education; especially : unable to read or write
2 a : showing or marked by a lack of familiarity with language and literature b : violating approved patterns of speaking or writing
3 : showing or marked by a lack of acquaintance with the fundamentals of a particular field of knowledge
4. ROBERT SLAGER
synonyms see ignorant

— illiterate noun

— il·lit·er·ate·ly adverb

— il·lit·er·ate·ness noun

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com