#1 2008-11-17 22:39:04

The Wareham Board of Selectman and its Finance Committee pointedly refused to divluge how much the town pays its legal counsel, Kopelman and Paige, in any given year.

"We don't know," was the best they could muster at tonight's Town Meeting.

How much did they pay former Town Manager John McAuliffe to buy out the remaining 2+ years of his 3 year contract?

"We're not telling."

Once upon a time, I could endure council meetings anywhere, no matter how tedious, no matter how many times the Moderator threatened me with arrest. I could read, I could snooze, I could slip out for a smoke with the AV guys. I was a pro. That was my yob.

Now, I barely last an hour, can't speak or write about it without a punctuating torrent of four letter abuse, only later laboriously excised or satirized for your, and my own protection.

The fuck have have you done to me, Wareham???!!!

Last edited by billw (2008-11-18 09:24:09)

#2 2008-11-18 14:32:28

billw wrote:

The Wareham Board of Selectman and its Finance Committee pointedly refused to divluge how much the town pays its legal counsel, Kopelman and Paige, in any given year.

"We don't know," was the best they could muster at tonight's Town Meeting.

How much did they pay former Town Manager John McAuliffe to buy out the remaining 2+ years of his 3 year contract?

"We're not telling."

Even if they gave the figure on the legal fees, they'd blame it all on the Police Chief.  You know, because of a case that was settle three years ago.   The same one the Donahue keeps referencing when asked about budget problems.  Yes Jane, three years later the current legal bills are because of the Chief and his "discrimination" case.

Did I mention that Donahue & the accuser are best friends? 

You'll never get the info on McAuliffe.  Although one would guess that it's closer to what he would have been paid had he stayed the entire contract.

#3 2008-11-18 19:01:04

absolutely commonsense.  why would they settle moments before the hearing.  they knew they had no cause.  have the hearing and take your chances you were going to pay either way.  this just saved them the embarressment.  i understand there are some cases where we are in the dark but this is different these are (elected) town officials bullying people and ponying up our money when they get called on it.  ill bet the bank that they have been told numerous times by town counsel that they were wrong and did it anyhow

#4 2008-11-18 19:36:58

oneeardog wrote:

ill bet the bank that they have been told numerous times by town counsel that they were wrong and did it anyhow

You mean the same Kopelman and Paige counsel that can not tell a town how much it's billing?

I became a newspaper news junkie 40 years ago and this is a first for me.

Last edited by billw (2008-11-18 19:38:12)

#5 2008-11-18 19:38:35

i think you were right bill it is starting to unravel and people are finally asking the right questions.

#6 2008-11-18 23:15:14

At town meeting, Bob Brady stated an estimated of Wareham spending $575,000 on legal fees in the past couple years.  That's astronomical.  Makes my jaw drop.  Is there a "Wareham Wing" at Kopelman and Paige now?  That money could help the library, help the police, and help the COA.  Nobody ever questions why we don't have money for these services, but we have plenty of money to sue anyone that looks at Bruce and Brenda cockeyed?

#7 2008-11-19 09:57:24

MAYBE BRUCE IS TRYING TO SECURE A POSITION THERE IF HE EVER PASSES THE BAR.  FUNNY WONDER IF HIS LITTLE SIDEKICK HAS EVER PASSED A BAR. (Hiccckuup)

#8 2008-11-19 21:59:12

So the Fin Com and the Selectmen won't tell how much the town spends on legal fees?  Perhaps someone can file a freedom of information act request.

#9 2008-11-21 07:37:28

We tried getting info. and were told (not politely): It would take a lawsuit to find out how and how much was spent.  The Selectmen have an "open checkbook". Once they cry "lawyer" there is no limit!

Come to the "hearing" Decvember 2 at 7:30 to see them spending more money they don't have: an attempt to correct a mistake they made when they thought no one would care if they renamed Wankinquoah Avenue to "Oceanside Ave." to memorialize the name of the Pizza Shop (now Bruce's office?).

The fiasco has already cost the Town plenty after the people who live there filed an appeal (95 signatures) to the Mass. Hihway Dept. and entered a process from hell. The judge ruled for the property owners.  The Town Appealed, filed a Motion for a "STAY" the process (More lawyer time).  This hearing (more lawyer time) will be interesting.

The neighbors can't afford to hire a lawyer to protect their rights, but the Town just writes the checks to K&P.

Last edited by waterview (2008-11-21 07:41:30)

#10 2008-11-21 09:40:27

Waterview,

When the judge has already ruled in favor of the property owners and against the town, it's a waste of taxpayer dollars to appeal it.  Appeals rarely overturn lower verdicts unless there was just some kind of obvious wrongdoing in making the decision.

If Mass Highway is ok with leaving the road named as it was, and if they're the state's highest authority on roads, then I fail to see the problem.  But apparently, our esteemed selectmen know better than Mass Highway. 

The appeal will fail and if you'd just flush the taxpayer money sent to K and P down the toilet, the result would be the same.  The road's name won't change.  We're useless peons that won't be told how much the appeal will cost, but I'd rather see the money go to the police, the library, the council on aging - I'd wager a guess that the Appeal will be costly enough that money could have been given to help out all three departments. 

Books in the library, cruisers for cops, and programs for seniors?  We were just told at town meeting we're broke and don't have any money for that, but apparently we have cash all day long when it's time to appeal in the hopes of naming a town street after a failed pizza parlor.

Here's a thought:  I wonder if the neighbors would be inclined to forego going back to having their road being named "Wankinco" (or whatever it was) and instead, if they would go through the process of collecting enough signatures and petitioning for the road to be actually legally named "Failed Pizza Parlor Avenue."

True, they wouldn't have their original street name back, but they'd stick it to Mr. Bigmouth, and ultimately, "Failed Pizza Parlor Avenue" is a new street name that would comply with the guidelines that the selectmen claim to be following.

Plus, you could buy a police scanner and laugh your ass off everytime you hear "Calling all cars! We need someone to respond to an incident on Failed Pizza Parlor Avenue!"

Not joking, completely serious.  If any of the people on that street are reading this, I hope they'll consider it.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2008-11-21 09:43:49)

#11 2008-11-21 09:56:52

Finally, think about this for a minute.  Town meeting is required to approve the budget...but we were told by the Fin Com and selectmen that we town meeting voters will never be told by them how much the town spends on legal fees.  That's right.  You heard it correctly.  Town meeting voters, who have the job of approving the budget, were told they cannot know how much is in the legal fee budget item.

Wow. 

I have to wonder though, if the selectmen truly believe that all of the legal actions they have entered into were completely righteous and proper, then what's the big deal?  Why not tell us what the price tag is on all of the wonderful justice they claim we are getting?

Probably because if you ever saw how much we're spending, you'd realize that money would be better used by spreading it out amongst the town departments, rather than using town attorneys to settle old scores (which apparently, in their eyes, are never settled, no matter how much they do).

Bob Brady of the Citizens for a Better Wareham gave the figure of $575,000 as an estimate of what we've spent on legal fees in just the past couple of years.  I'm willing to bet it's more than that.

Especially if the 2 year sabbatical we sent the short lived town administrator on the town's dime is considered a legal fee.  If it is, that's probably why they won't tell us. 

They don't want us to know how much it cost the town to send the TA on a 2 year vacation because he rubbed Brucey the wrong way.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2008-11-21 09:58:16)

#12 2008-11-21 12:07:53

hamatron slager claims that mccauliffe's settlement is only 30 k in his s&t blog when i asked.  now we all know that he is incapable of telling a lie.  but regardless of that why is he privy to the alleged amount and not us and if he is why not print it isnt he the areas premier investigative journalist.    he would not answer me.

#13 2008-11-21 13:15:25

Oneear -

He's been spouting that $30,000 crap for a long time now with absolutely nothing to back it up other than some longwinded nonsensical argument that he interpreted the charter himself and came up with that figure.

BULLS&%T!!!

Pardon my french.  First, let's keep in mind that $30,000 to pay someone NOT TO WORK when they are willing to is a waste when that $30,000 could be the salary of one lower level town employee.

But it was clearly way more than that.  And unless Ragman or one of these clowns can point to a check that actually says "To John, here's x dollars to go away because Bruce doesn't like you," then they are only pulling figures out of their rumps.

It was clearly way, way more than $30,000.  I doubt he walked away from it with less than $100,000.  And that's a conservative estimate.  I'm sure it was way more than that.

Think about it.  If you're McAulliffe, why would you want a gag order on the amount?  If he walks away with a tiny sum, doesn't that make him a good guy because even though he was sucker punched in a midnight session, he agreed to walk away with only a small amount of the town's money, when he was clearly entitled by contract to walk away with alot more? 

He was not even a year into a 3 year contract.  Just almost one year.  They lied to him weeks before about hiring an independent lawyer to "negotiate" with him and told him no, he had nothing to worry about.  They sprang a laundry list of unfounded charges against him after midnight.  Then Brucey announced in open session that no matter the outcome of the hearing, he was gone.  So much for due process.

McAulliffe had an excellent case, and believe it - he wouldn't have dropped a slam dunk unless the town paid him a hefty, hefty, ridiculous sum to go dribble his ball elsewhere.

Now they're back taking $85,000 to hire an assistant, which was Sanguinet's job, but Sanguinet is now acting TA.

It comes down to this - these people say justice is on their side.  If all of these legal actions are above board, then why not tell us the full price tag of all this so called justice? 

Blow us pesky bloggers out of the water and tell us how much the legal fees are, how much McAulliffe really got - itemize it all and explain it all.  Why not?  What is there to hide?

They'll never do it.  Because they knew if the voters knew how much they were spending on legal fees when that money could go to the police, the library, the COA, even restore the recreation department...but instead, all that money wasted on Brucey's grudges?

Yeah, you better believe they're going to keep those figures under wraps until the cows come home.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2008-11-21 13:19:13)

#14 2008-11-22 13:39:10

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/brokenmeter2.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#15 2008-11-22 20:05:19

Look at those baby blue innocent eyes.  Check out the lump in his pants.  Probably his bulging wallet!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com