#1 2009-06-18 13:18:03

Hello – I am a new resident of Wareham.  It’s clear to me that Wareham has a huge drug/crime problem.   Does anyone know if the town has considered adopting any of the new Video Surveillance systems to help deter crime in "known" problem areas.   

http://www.policeone.com/police-product … veillance/

#2 2009-06-18 13:27:52

TBL

bigshrimpin, video cameras would be useful in certain areas but the police department can't even afford to replace hub caps that fall off police cruisers nevermind buying, installing, and monitoring sophisticated surveillance cameras.

#3 2009-06-18 13:53:16

GWB

Big Shrimpin, Suggestion Write your BOS tell them to start getting WPD funds to fight the crime you speak of and stop wasting away your tax dollars treating Town Employees like criminals. That would be a start. I agree with TBL I am sure that the WPD would be more than happy to get involved with a program like that but it would definately take funding that they don't have.

#4 2009-06-18 14:08:19

TBL wrote:

bigshrimpin, video cameras would be useful in certain areas but the police department can't even afford to replace hub caps that fall off police cruisers nevermind buying, installing, and monitoring sophisticated surveillance cameras.

Do you think folks would object to raising taxes and deal with those problems?  Seems like a healthy police dept should be a priority for the town.

#5 2009-06-18 14:20:04

bigshrimpin wrote:

Do you think folks would object to raising taxes and deal with those problems?

New around here?

#6 2009-06-18 14:21:45

THE THING IS BIGSHRIMPIN I WOULDNT GIVE THIS TOWN ANYTHING IN ITS CURRENT FORM. PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE THEIR TAXES RAISED WHEN TENS OF THOUSANDS ARE BEING WASTED THROUGH LAWSUITS, LEGAL FEES, COMPUTER "AUDITS" NO SIR MY TAXES WILL NOT BE RAISED WHEN THE CHAIRMAN OWES 181,000 DOLLARS. I PAY MY TAXES AND ITS PEOPLE LIKE HIM THAT THE TOWN, STATE ARE IN THE FINANCIAL SITUATION THEY ARE IN.

#7 2009-06-18 14:38:27

GWB

Do you think folks would object to raising taxes and deal with those problems?

If you are new around here that would indeed be a good thing to consider a prop 2 1/2 overide for. But 2 1/2 overides of any type have been shot down time and time again at the polls. This current board also refuses to even consider any 2 1/2 override no matter what it is. They would rather see the Town go bankrupt first.

#8 2009-06-18 14:46:38

Last week you wanted to fire all the police officers. Now you want help, seems like a common theme around here.

#9 2009-06-18 15:55:55

selfdestructionactivated wrote:

Last week you wanted to fire all the police officers. Now you want help, seems like a common theme around here.

Hey SDA - Chill out.  There's no need for personal attacks.  I believe that I have the best interests of the town at heart.  I am new to Onset/Wareham (2 weeks).  I moved here b/c I love the location and can see it's potential.  Yes . . . my first night in town was unfortunate.  I had a laser pointer on my forehead from a "neighbor" who is clearly dealing.  The police laughed at me and didn't even knock on the door of the house.  I'm sure they have a good reason too.  Regardless of my own situation . . . the town is overrun with crime, the police appear to be overwhelmed, and the school system has graduation rate somewhere b/w 60 and 82% . . . let's face it . . . There is a lot of room for improvement.  I am committed to doing anything I can to improve the present state of affairs.

Last edited by bigshrimpin (2009-06-18 16:06:04)

#10 2009-06-18 16:34:07

GWB

(((Almost every company and government agency have acceptable use policies that prohibit storing this kind of sensitive information locally on a computer.  Usually these policies are derived from Laws like Sarbanes-Oxley (Banking), HIPAA (Medical records) and others that pertain to management and storage of sensitive data.   I don't know what the PD uses . . . but I can guarantee there is some kind law prohibiting storing sensitive data locally (on a PC).  Generally speaking . . . violation of an acceptable use policy is grounds for immediate termination.  If the police were careless and storing any sensitive data locally on their PC . . . they should be fired immediately.)))

Big Shrimpin this is from a post of yours 2 days ago. Though others on that thread offered valid arguments to that opinion.  thus far you have not offered an apology for any part of it. I believe you do have some good points. But implying that the officers of the WPD are careless is unfair especially since by your own admission you have not lived here that long. I may be mistaken but I think that is what SDA's anger is about.

#11 2009-06-18 17:04:50

Bigshrimpin I will take you at your word for now.  Just look  back two years ago and you will very quickly learn the problem. I encourage you to do your homework and then speak. The BOS in the last two years has just destroyed the town and its police department. The PD use to be very aggressive and even had programs in place to help people like you in troubled areas, but that is all gone and so are all the resources and moral at the pd. They have been under attack for two years. Look back before that the Pd had a very good handle on things with the exception of one summer that they had no help thanks to the BOS again. But they still found a way to make the best with what they had and cleaned up the area and then were attacked again by the BOS calling them Racist every chance they got.  Just look back do your research and make up your own mind.

#12 2009-06-18 17:23:51

Big Shrimpin,

Welcome to Wareham! Where do you hail from?

The first step to understand what is going on in Wareham might be to attend a few
BOS Tuesday meetings - you know, see the WHITES of their eyes.  Second, register to vote. Third, Volunteer for some kind of Service, Board, or Committee.
Fourth, Read all the back issues (three years)  of ALL the papaers that carry Wareham news.  Fifth, visit all the facilities, Highway Dept., Water Dept., playgrounds, schools, libraries, and beaches.  Talk to all kinds of people, employees, coffe shop crowd, gas station attendants, anybody that you might run into.

But PLEASE, don't knock on Bruce's door.  You sound young and may not have heard some of the words you may encounter.  His neighbors hate him - except his relatives and even they are having second thoughts.

Oh, I forgot, use your own bathroom before you leave home; there are no such things at most public beaches.  Also, take swimming lessons at the Y.  Wareham cannot afford lifeguards.

Please report back your findings.

Maybe some of the other bloggers have more suggestions.

Last edited by waterview (2009-06-18 17:27:07)

#13 2009-06-18 20:35:27

We had a similar problem here on Onset Ave a couple of summers ago.

We organized a meeting at the VFW, Chief Joyce and the new TA at the time came and listened to our concerns.

We learned that he had undercover officers operating in the ring. There was an officer I can't recall his name that took part in a special program and within a few weeks they had it cleaned up.

However at this point in time we have no permanent TA the BOS fired him probably for working with the citizens, the chief has left to go to another town. This BOS could care less about your problems.

Call the State Police next time they will come and help you.

Welcome to town, we came here for the same reasons.I know how you feel having gone through the same issues. You need to call the State Police eveyday and night you will get results.

To my fellow members take it easy on this person. I know what it like to come home on Onset Ave and have these drug thugs stop the traffic to do deals with guns out. Not pleasant especially with my 6 year old at the time with me in the car.

#14 2009-06-18 21:09:25

WHEN THE BOS CALLS AN OFFICER A RACIST AND A GUTLESS COWARD ON PUBLIC TV IM SURE HE GOES AND GIVES IT HIS ALL FOR THE TOWN EVERYDAY. OK BACK TO REALITY NOW. THE POLICE HAVE NO CONTRACT, THEY GET BEAT UP IN THE RAG EVERYDAY. THE BOS BEATS UP ON THE POLICE EVERYDAY ALONG WITH THE PUPPET THE ITA. YEAH IM SURE THE POLICE ARE GIVING THEIR ALL FOR THIS TOWN. THATS WHY EVERYONE IS LEAVING. THIS TOWN WAS NOT LIKE THIS YEARS AGO. THE RAGMAN AND THE BOS CALL WHATS HAPPENING TO THIS TOWN PROGRESS? A POLICE DEPT THAT HAS THEIR REPUTATIONS DISMANTLED BY THE BOS, NUMEROUS DEPT HEADS FIRED OR MOVED TO OTHER JOBS, MAINTENANCE WORKERS LAID OFF, EMPLOYEES TAKING FURLOUGH DAYS, BOS MEMBERS DISPARAGING TOWN EMPLOYEES. YEAH THIS IS PROGRESS.

#15 2009-06-18 21:31:47

His name was Lt. Bliss and it was the Neighborhood team. But your BOS fired him for nothing but political and personal reasons which continue to come to light as we speak.

#16 2009-06-19 00:13:11

TBL

searay240 wrote:

Call the State Police next time they will come and help you.

Welcome to town, we came here for the same reasons.I know how you feel having gone through the same issues. You need to call the State Police eveyday and night you will get results.

I'm not so sure about that. The state police are not just going to start patrolling neighborhoods in a city or town without an invitation from the local police. The state police have a special unit that patrols high crime communities when requested. But that unit has been cut in half because like most police departments the state police have not hired anyone in a few years. So that special unit is tied up in places like Brockton and New Bedford. They don't have the time or the manpower to bother with Wareham. Right now there are probably only two or three state troopers patrolling the state highways between the Fairhaven line and the Barnstable line. Wareham can get limited outside help when it is needed but we have to provide for our own police protection.

#17 2009-06-21 21:03:53

The Town is presently being run (down) by a toxic group of self serving individuals that are primarily ruled by Bruce and Jane.  Bruce is arragont, ignorant and a bully, while Jane plays goodie two shoes and weasels around, gets others to do her dirty work, ghost writes statements for others to present ( both by selectmen and fire district electees) while trying to convince you that she is on your side. (give me Atilla the Hun)  Until these two ( at a min) are removed we will never have a decent town.  For those of you that attend Town Meeting, You will remember Jane's platform (and supported by the rest of the board)  "IT'S ONLY ILLEGAL IF YOU GET CAUGHT"

#18 2009-06-23 13:16:39

bigshrimpin wrote:

Hello – I am a new resident of Wareham.  It’s clear to me that Wareham has a huge drug/crime problem.   Does anyone know if the town has considered adopting any of the new Video Surveillance systems to help deter crime in "known" problem areas.   

You cant honestly believe this is a good idea, i know wareham is getting bad with drugs and crime, but putting an entire village under surveillance is in every way unjust, and would be a complete invasion of every persons privacy that lives in Onset.

#19 2009-06-23 14:10:53

TBL

Slug, I don't see how keeping a few hot spot areas under watch would be an invasion of privacy. Nobody has a legal expectation of privacy while they are in public. If you are hanging out in front of the post office in Onset on a crowded saturday night you would be crazy to expect privacy. Pie in the sky dream anyways the town doesn't have that kind of dough.

#20 2009-06-26 10:57:42

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/stor … _p-qg.cspx

Crime victims often feel vulnerable, but for some it is empowering.

The Washington Village Development Association started fighting back and they say look at their Pigtown neighborhood; they're winning.

"We've been saying this is enough for three years now and we've had tremendous success down here," said Dan Cosgrove

Cosgrove is the president of the at times gutsy, and brazen WVDA. In three years his organization has gotten tough; tougher than criminals. The group’s latest weapon in the battle is you tube.

The idea is as simple as it is daring.  Post a video with pictures, date of births and state ID numbers of who they call known drug dealers in the neighborhood.  Cosgrove says it gives the tools and accuracy for people to call 911.

"There are a lot of people out in the community who have had enough and they're looking for leadership, looking for people to do the right thing.  Once we started putting videos out 6 months ago, we have more people joining us all the time."

It is safety in numbers and results through vigilance.

ABC2 Crime Checker
Baltimore City Crimes
Baltimore County Crimes
Howard County Crimes
Harford County Crimes
Anne Arundel County Crimes
Eastern Shore Crimes

"If you were standing here on this corner four years ago, we wouldn't be able to film here because there would have been five or six guys slinging, a line of junkies coming  through the alley assembly line fashion like you see on ‘The Wire’ where you would see them hand them out, hand them out, hand them out.  Guys would just be running by, you would see those sorts of people.  This corner was just untenable...it just wasn't safe to be here," said Vice President Sebastian Sassi.

The WVDA’s effort is more than just videos.  The association has installed its own cameras throughout the neighborhood that members can monitor from their homes.  There is also a data base they created to track repeat offenders and then there is their presence; an in your face walking tall type approach to let everyone know in just what direction this neighborhood is headed.

It is an approach not all appreciate.  As we were shooting this story, members of the association were walking the streets and confronted a juvenile who they say was recently picked up on a gun charge.  It was a loud and threatening confrontation that continued for several minutes and was eventually directed at our camera as well.  (Click on the video portion of this story to view.)

WVDA was not phased.  Bothering known offenders they say is the point.

"Early on we decided we weren’t going to be intimidated and we aren't, we stand up for what is right and it succeeds," said Cosgrove.

Confrontations aside, it is this type of community involvement and ownership that ofte iis the key to help police.  Commissioner Fred Bealefeld consistently stresses the point.

"It remains true here.  It can just be about police doing more about kids, it's got to be about parents, it's got to be about businesses, it's got to be about every stakeholder along the way," said Bealefeld.

It is a steady drum beat other neighborhoods are hearing as well.

The Mount Vernon Belvedere Association is also thinking creatively.  After a rash of random assaults by teens, community leaders there are printing glossy club type flyers urging teens to turn in other teens at a bounty of one thousand dollars.

"We decided the best way to get to mostly the youth that are part of the problem in Mount Vernon is to advertise and do exactly what the promoters for these organizations are doing," said MVBA member Jason Curtis.

#21 2009-06-26 11:11:12

Slug wrote:

bigshrimpin wrote:

You cant honestly believe this is a good idea, i know wareham is getting bad with drugs and crime, but putting an entire village under surveillance is in every way unjust, and would be a complete invasion of every persons privacy that lives in Onset.

Look certain areas in wareham and Onset are friggin ridiculous . . . It would be trivial to setup surveillance.  $100 wireless web cams can be setup and with a linksys router you can provide the Police with the ability login to any of the cameras.  The newer cheap camera's can log video and have motion sensors.  It could be a purely voluntary program (home owner can monitor their street corner) and cost the town ZERO out of pocket . . . only the people who want to participate would buy one.  I haven't thought this through more than just for a second, but it seems to me that it would help the PD do their Job more effectively and we could stop feeling helpless (at the mercy of the BOS).  Am I wrong here?

Last edited by bigshrimpin (2009-06-26 11:12:19)

#23 2009-06-28 18:00:41

Bigshrimpin .This town does have a couple cops. Always looking for trouble.  They love it.    Your new you will figure it out which ones they are soon enough.    These cops are not overwelmed.  This town has plenty of cops.  Leave your house youll see plenty. Especially if you go out after 10:00p.m.   Drugs are everywhere.  The crime rate here is so low compared to other places its unreal.  I wonder whre you moved here from..   There are some good cops I know a few.   From what I understand the cops hate onset and feel really picked on.  A few months ago they where blogging we ain't gonna work there no more.   They get paid pretty good for this easy gig.  Don't let anybody fool you.   Theres a couple really cool guys on the force though.

#24 2009-06-28 18:04:51

I have camaras all over my property.  Push buttons over my headboard to view different angles.   Works great.  Records if I want it to.  Actually caught someone doing summin they shouldnt be doing. Busted.    I love it.  Kids in this town never bother me. Never have.

#25 2009-06-28 18:51:30

PinkPanther wrote:

I have camaras all over my property.  Push buttons over my headboard to view different angles.

And mirrors on the ceiling? Whatever floats your boat.

#26 2009-06-28 19:08:02

billw  now lets not get freaky here.  :)  and dont put any ideas in my hubbys head.   Actually thats scary.  cuz we are a little old.  :)

#27 2009-06-28 19:09:03

different angles of the property .. haha thats what I meant.

#28 2009-06-29 09:08:39

TBL

PinkPanther wrote:

Bigshrimpin .This town does have a couple cops. Always looking for trouble.  They love it.    Your new you will figure it out which ones they are soon enough.    These cops are not overwelmed.  This town has plenty of cops.  Leave your house youll see plenty. Especially if you go out after 10:00p.m.   Drugs are everywhere.  The crime rate here is so low compared to other places its unreal.  I wonder whre you moved here from..   There are some good cops I know a few.   From what I understand the cops hate onset and feel really picked on.  A few months ago they where blogging we ain't gonna work there no more.   They get paid pretty good for this easy gig.  Don't let anybody fool you.   Theres a couple really cool guys on the force though.

PinkPanther, your post could not be more wrong. The only police department in Plymouth County that is busier than Wareham is Brockton. This town does not have plenty of cops there are only about four or five on duty each shift unless you count the eight weeks that there are summer police officers on babysitting duty in Onset. The patrol beats are huge too. For example only one officer is responsible for patrolling from the Bourne line on Cranberry Highway all the way up into Shangrila to the Plymouth line and all the side streets in between those points. God help you if you live in Shangrila and someone is busting through your door and the cop assigned to your part of town is responding from the Indian Mound neighborhood.

They don't make much as much as you think either. The starting pay for police in Wareham is only about $40,000 per year. Sure they can make much more than that if they want to put in many extra hours but it comes at a big price because they have to sacrafice their personal and family time to make that extra money.

Last edited by TBL (2009-06-29 09:12:05)

#29 2009-06-29 09:16:17

TBL

Click on this link PinkPanther and scroll down to post #16.

public safety

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#30 2009-06-29 19:55:31

TbL   I did what you asked me to do.  I will review and research.  Thank you.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com