#1 2009-10-15 13:04:20

The following political appeal was sent  minutes ago to all town employees over previously audited town computers.

"Moving Wareham Forward"

AN AFTERNOON OF CITIZEN’S PARTICIPATION

Please join us on Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. in the Town Hall Auditorium for an afternoon of "Citizens' Participation; A Community Meeting".  The focus of the meeting is to afford everyone an opportunity to join in a Citizen's Participation Forum to ask questions and receive factual, "Myth Busting", answers and information about the various issues facing our town.

•    The Civil Service Status of the position of Police Chief
•    Westfield Site and Senior Affordable Housing Project
•    Charter Review
•    The Town Budget
•    Economic Development
•    Town Legal Fees
•    Computer Audit
•    Library Trustees and the Settlement

A panel consisting of members of Town Boards, Committees, and Departments will be present to respond on the issues. Please submit all questions and comments no later than October 16, 2009, so we can assure the proper panel members will be available to address your concerns.

This is a real opportunity for some genuine community dialogue. Thank you in advance for your participation. Please Email us at movewarehamforward@msn.com to submit your questions in advance, and let us know which topics are of the most importance to you, or to add a topic that is not listed, or you can call 508-274-3034.

Last edited by billw (2009-10-15 13:05:01)

#2 2009-10-15 13:21:50

They really think town employees could give two craps after the way they've treated them?  Plus, I think it is a bit troubling to hold a political rally masquerading as a Q + A session in town hall, on public property, paid for on the taxpayer's dime.  Why don't they rent a hall like every other political shindig?

The selectmen have been rehearsing all week, it should be a nice well-scripted, well rehearsed stage production.  I wonder if they would consider maybe doing a few selected scenes from famous plays afterwards?  It's so rare that well-rehearsed, non-spontaneous theater shows like this come to Wareham.

Maybe after their stage play, "The Good Selectmen," they could do a few scenes from "A Streetcar Named Desire?"  Brucey could walk around on stage yelling "Stella!  Stella!"

Seriously, after a week of studying their lines to questions they've already read, the selectmen won't have to worry about silly things, like being knowledgeable enough in their jobs to answer spontaneous questions.

#3 2009-10-15 13:48:32

Rip Dinkle here....(que the music Hamm)...

This reporter has received a copy of the email and it was sent out by our very own Selectmen, Jane Donahue.  She also includes a very nice note to the employees about how their hard work doesn't go unnoticed. In the opinion of this reporter, a Selectmen has distributed a political email on town computers. Inquiring minds want to know if they would allow a TBW memo about tonights meeting to be broadcasted across the network?

The Donahue political wagon keeps rolling.....

Rip Dinkle.....over and out!

#4 2009-10-15 13:55:33

I can understand the compulsion to "blow them off, but I fear that would backfire: "We asked them to participate, but they chose to stay hidden in their Den of Hate."

Can you imagine a  program that lists "Library Trustees and Settlement"  on the agenda but has a panel without Nora Bicki and/or Priscilla Porter ?

Wouldn't it make sense for us to present them with  fair but tough questions, and follow up each question with the name of a person who has a perspective that needs to be heard?

I suggest that we should be skeptical but not cynical.    Then , if they blow US off, we'll have our civil and thoughtful approach to them documented for the world to see.

#5 2009-10-15 14:03:50

Dick,
I think there will be a some very well versed questions posed to the "panel" by some of the most thoughtful and well spoken people I have met. I sincerely hope the "panel" will answer with honesty and respect.

#6 2009-10-15 14:09:06

I'll be interested to see if they answer ANY of the questions that anyone on this site posed.

#7 2009-10-15 14:20:37

Dick, I thought the same thing.  They're billing this as "non-partisan," but you're only getting one side's view, the selectmen's point of view.  Why not some panelists from the opposing side?  If you have "library trustee settlement" on the agenda, then why not some panelists from the library?  You'll only get the selectmen's side, and obviously that's what they want, but without inviting panelists from the opposing side, then the "non-partisan" label they're putting on this is laughable.

#8 2009-10-15 14:27:41

Dudes!

It appears that the agenda, er program has been updated with NEW stuff!!!

1. "Hatebloggers - give'em a fair trial & hang 'em in the morning" by Judge Roy Bean. Always a favorite.

2. Health Trust Fund Overpayments: You're Screwed, & You Better get used to It, by John Foster. Sure to be informative.

3. How to improve relations between Town employees and the media. A panel discussion with R. Slager, a certain Butt Monkey & Sweet Brucie. You WILL like this one (or else!).

4. And for a change of pace and a little fun (damn little): Pseudonyms from Mark Twain to Paul Shooter. This will be an audience participation trivia game!
With prizes! Including Comp Time for the most correct answers!!!!

WE will see YOU there. (attendance will be taken).

#9 2009-10-15 15:03:12

will there be a sign in sheet like the charter review comm has when you go to their meetings?

#10 2009-10-15 15:09:54

Liz, I don't know if there will be a sign-in sheet, but you might have to take a Sweet Brucey loyalty oath.  "All hail Brucey, all hail Brucey."

Hey, I noticed that Paul Shooter wrote he was planning on attending this meeting, and for safety purposes, I would ask that any young men who show up with baseball bat-sized portrusions in their pants be pulled aside and frisked immediately for contraband.  I'm very concerned for the safety of critics of the selectmen if Paul Shooter is allowed to smuggle his Louisville slugger.

#11 2009-10-17 00:59:54

Please Record Audio.

Thank you.

#12 2009-10-17 06:52:50

WCTV is going to be there taping it was just in the courier.. not sure if it will be live though...

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com