#1 2012-04-25 04:18:03

I heard second hand this evening the folks at WCTV are fingering the likes of me - and my chronic complaints about their performance - for their decision to discontinue live streaming of town meetings.

Should they care what I think? I think so, but I'm hardly their target audience.

I'm not a WCTV subscriber. I've never owned a television. I'm just another asshole with an opinion.

My opinion is Wareham desperately needs a public broadcaster responsive to all its residents, not one that listens first and last to those who write it the largest checks. I raised these concerns with Steve Ruiz and Jay Heard privately several years ago when the Board of Selectmen decreed no more tight closeups showing Bruce Sauvageau's lips move, and WCTV acquiesced without a whimper to protect its budget.  They ignored me, certainly their right. WCTV is a private outfit.

Recording and archiving meetings is a challenging job, as thankless as it is essential. If WCTV doesn't want the burden, we should consider other options.

Last edited by billw (2012-04-25 04:18:48)

#2 2012-04-25 12:03:38

I'm wary to "speak" for WCTV in any way.. I'm not a member of WCTV..and I'd urge anyone with any questions to contact them directly: jay@warehamtv.org to email WCTV Executive Director Jay Heard or you can call them @ (508) 273-2340.

First things first.. For those who don't understand.. The "town" has no control over the "doings" of WCTV. If people aren't happy with anything to do with WCTV.. I'd suggest they email or make a call to them, become a member, attend a board meeting..or make an effort to become a board member. Taxpayer money doesn't pay for WCTV..it's paid through contracts WCTV has with Verizon and Comcast..and paid for by subscriber's of Comcast and Verizon. As usual in this town..misunderstanding is a large part of the "angst".

All that being said. I called and spoke with Jay to ask about this. He told me that he's had very few people contact him about this. I explained that while this really doesn't effect me directly (I'm a Comcast subscriber..and hardly ever view WCTV programming of any kind through the live internet streaming).. I told him that live video streaming is (obviously) a service to the "town"..and I can understand why people would be upset at it being discontinued (for meetings). Steve Holmes stated it pretty well at TM (IMO). But one thing Steve said (and others have also)..that part-time residents that live out of state, but still pay taxes, should have a "right" to the live video streaming of meetings.. To this, I'd repeat..taxpayer's don't pay for WCTV operations..Comcast and Verizon customers do. As an anology..if my neighbor was "tapping into" my cable..which I pay for..and wasn't paying themself..the neighbor would have "no leg to stand on" if they complained about any service issues having to do with with the cable. Live video streaming is a service they've provided..and have been under no obligation to do so..ever. But, I still can see where people wouldn't be happy with the decision to discontinue it. To them, I'd say two things.. Contact WCTV!! ..and/or watch the meetings I post..it's not "live"..but I try and post them soon after WCTV "airs" them.

#3 2012-04-25 12:23:13

Dave DiPietro wrote:

Taxpayer money doesn't pay for WCTV..it's paid through contracts WCTV has with Verizon and Comcast..and paid for by subscriber's of Comcast and Verizon. As usual in this town..misunderstanding is a large part of the "angst".

Are you sure about this, Dave? If WCTV doesn't rely on the town for at least some of its revenue, it did when I approached them about the Selectmen's no closeup edict. How about their studio? That's a town building on town property. Do they get below market rate on their lease? Are there other inkind payments? Something about this doesn't smell right.

#4 2012-04-25 12:39:26

Jay told me that taxpayer money doesn't pay for WCTV. So, I asked him "Does 100% of funding come from Verizon and Comcast (through subscriber's)?".. He responded.. "Yes". I'm not sure about the building's etc., or if that would be relevant.

I wasn't exactly sure how it all "works". Jay explained that WCTV negotiates contracts with Comcast and Verizon...and public access channels are a part of the negotiated contracts. Any further details would best be explained by Mr. Heard..

For what it's worth..here's a link to WCTV's by-laws from the town's webpage WCTV By-laws

#5 2012-04-25 13:36:09

Dave DiPietro wrote:

Jay told me that taxpayer money doesn't pay for WCTV. So, I asked him "Does 100% of funding come from Verizon and Comcast (through subscriber's)?".. He responded.. "Yes".

Technically, that's true. In reality, it's a complete lie.

I'll dig out the specific numbers later this afternoon but Verizon and Comcast pay the Town of Wareham quarterly something on the order of half a million a year, and the town in turn gives it to WCTV. There is no signed contract between WCTV and the town.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com