• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » town meeting needs to call for a vote of no confidence in andrews

#1 2011-10-07 12:16:23

at town meeting , does anyone know if it is possible to do this and if so how to do it.

Last edited by billw (2011-10-07 15:33:14)

#2 2011-10-07 12:56:58

Red, you hit on the one idea everyone can embrace and execute themselves.

Every Town Meeting attendee needs to arrive resolved to stand and demand:

Madam Moderator, I move for a vote of no confidence in the town manager. Do I hear a second?

Last edited by billw (2011-10-07 12:58:36)

#3 2011-10-07 14:07:18

Nice sentiment, but....

Most likely, the Town moderator would have to rule the motion "out of order". Why? Motions from the floor at the TM must relate to a specific article on the warrant. Since the point of the motion will not do that, it will be stillborn.

It would send a pointed message, however, without a debate and vote by the entire body, it would be dismissed as the opinion of the single individual making the motion.

There was a vigorous debate regarding a T/A in another community at a TM which I attended. The entree to that debate was the T/A's salary; the motion was to CUT the salary substantially. Obviously, it came up at the ANNUAL TM where the budget was the main focus of the TM warrant. The motion ultimately failed; the T/A is still at the job, probably at 130K per annum.

Perhaps a vote of no confidence could be teased from the BoS during citizen participation. But, there would have to be a strong bill of particulars presented with the request. Think back to the dismissal of McAuliffe. It would be nice to see the BoS squirm, though, wouldn't it?

#4 2011-10-07 14:47:12

I agree with Stewie, however, someone could make a motion to deny Article One, for example, and tag a vote of no confidence on it.

The Moderator would have to deny the motion, because it is two motions in one...however...you get your point across.

I agre that the best thing to do is to attend the BOS meeting with a large group and put on a dog and poiny show, just like they do...see what happens.

At least you will get publicity from mainstream media.

#5 2011-10-07 14:54:14

stewie wrote:

Nice sentiment, but....

Most likely, the Town moderator would have to rule the motion "out of order". Why? Motions from the floor at the TM must relate to a specific article on the warrant. Since the point of the motion will not do that, it will be stillborn.

It would send a pointed message, however, without a debate and vote by the entire body, it would be dismissed as the opinion of the single individual making the motion.

All true.

But lets assume you, humble voter, just watched your Town Moderator torture voters over 7 nights for the sole purpose of a passing fictional budget without a quorum and now it's worse. If you haven't seen this fraud before elsewhere, Stewie, I know I have.

A No Confidence motion is always a toothless protest. Look at Wall Street.

So stand up and forcefully object to this farce, this waste of your time, and leave.

You won't get pepper sprayed and your neighbors will thank you.

• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » town meeting needs to call for a vote of no confidence in andrews

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com