• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » i promote dan oconell for selectmen to run in the next election

#1 2011-09-10 13:15:36

why not schinder lives in maine and has a house going to be reposed by the credit card companies in wareham , and dan while living in florida i remember from a long ago post he has land in wareham  the family burial plot , so why not dan from his writings he cares a lot about wareham thsn mike does and if he decides to run i will give him a campaign donation.

#2 2011-09-10 13:16:27

i like dan.

#3 2011-09-10 13:17:31

sorrey i left an n  out of your name.

#4 2011-09-10 13:44:06

Thanks for the support, redrobin. I am, however, a firm believer in the Selectman/Open Town Meeting form of government, and I understand how important it is for a Selectman to live in the Town he/she represents.

If that wasn't a requirement, and firmly enforced, you would really have problems!!

The issue is, as it always has been, does Schneider live in Wareham?

Is Wareham his homestead?

Simple question. Should have a simple answer.

#5 2011-09-11 14:47:08

I may change my mind, redrobin. According to BoBo, and I am sure he will be joined by his minions frothing at the mouth, I can stay with a "friend" in Wareham, declare it my address, and run for Selectman.

Cool.

Anyone volunteer to put me up?

By: robertslager on 9/11/11
As Cara Ann Winslow has already broken the "lets-not-talk-politics-today" threshold on Wareham Week, I would like to address the ridiculous claims that Mike Schneider must prove he lives in Wareham at the moment.

Let's even put the entire harassment aspect aside for a moment. If Mike owns a home in Wareham, what difference does it make how much time he spents there? If he is staying out-of-state part-time, he is obviously commuting to meetings. Is he in Wareham for a day? Two days? Three days? Four? What is the exactly amount of time a person must be in his Wareham home to be eligible to serve as a selectman?

Yes, the family has finacial problems. But even if they lose their home, why couldn't Mike then simply rent a place in Wareham? Are renters ineligible to serve on the Board of Selectmen? I have never seen that written anywhere.

Could he stay as a guest with a friend for a awile? Does that make him ineligible to serve on the Board of Selectmen? All he has to do is provide the town an address where he can be located in Wareham at all times. There is nothing in the Town Charter that says that someone moving from one location to another in Wareham is inelligible to serve on the Board of Selectmen.
I'll pair this down to a very simple question: Where is it written how many hours a person has to spend in his or her home, owned or otherwise, to qualify as a resident and be eligible to serve on the Board of Selectmen? If there were such a threshold, how can you prove a selectman reached it without stalking them?

Chilling.

What is chilling is your spelling, Roberta.

Another possibility - Maybe Mike is living with the 21-year-old son he "abandoned" in Wareham. I am also curious about the constant claims that Mike's house appears abandoned. Are people trespassing on private property to look inside? What if Mike's "abandoned" son is still living there. What if Mike is still living there? Are people actually peeking in the windows? How is that not stalking?
By: darkknight on 9/11/11
You make some good points, Mr. Slager. For me, this issue is very simple. Mr. Schneider said he owns property in Wareham and that he's a resident of Wareham. Unless someone can prove otherwise this is a non-issue. The burden of proof is on the accusers.

Yeah...BoBo and BoBo, aka darkknight...how do you know I am NOT living in Wareham at someone's house? Will you try to stalk me when I announce my candidacy?

I may decide to run if drafted and I have a nice home to live in :)

#6 2011-09-11 14:51:38

Dan O, just get an address of a Wareham buddy, say your heart's really in Wareham and you go to your buddy's house once a month to check your mail but alas, your business takes you to Florida and away from your beloved Wareham for most of your time.  Run for Wareham selectman, maybe attend a meeting once every 6 months.

#7 2011-09-11 14:57:32

Thanks, Guy...good ideas.

I think I should attend by telephone, on the speaker of course.

It happens in Court all of the time down here. I have to stay in Florida on Tuesdays because of my need to remain warm, so that should be reason enough to allow me to listen, speak, vote and raise hell by telephone.

I can sit back, watch TV, sip some "soda" and just shoot the crap with my fellow members of the BOS.

Sounds like fun.

If I receive a good enough invitation for my place of abode, I may announce soon.

#8 2011-09-11 15:44:13

stalking a candidate to verify his 'residency'?

Ask Congressman Keating.

I worked with him on some issues over thirty years ago. He had purchased a house on the boundary between the two Towns he represented as a State Rep at the time. Later, he was elected to the State Senate, where he became the leader of the 'Keating 7'. His battles with Senate president Bulger are well-documented in a book by Howie Carr. Being personna non grata in the Senate, he ran for DA in Norfolk County after Delahunt went to Congress. Keating won.

When Delahunt retired, Keating ran for the seat. One problem: he did not 'reside' in the District. He bought (or rented, not sure) a condo in Quincy to establish residency, and thus became eligible to run for the vacant seat. He won, as you know.

That house he bought over 30 years ago was still his, occupied by his 21-year old daughter. The Republicans doubted his residency (Keating is a Dem.), and had him stalked. This included having a young MAN park in front of the house, taking pictures of the comings & goings there. this freaked out the young lady, who called her uncle, a retired police detective. The uncle stalked the stalker, before alerting the two police departments who pounced on the Suffolk U. college kid recruited for the job.

The moving into a district to run for office has a long history in the USA. Think of Bill Weld, Bobby Kennedy and Hilary Clinton in NY; Mitt Romney in Mass. But we are dealing with the other end of the deal. If you WERE eligible as a resident at the time of the election, are you STILL eligible based on current facts.

A certain diss-Interested Party and fellow travelers want to distill the posted requirements to being a registered voter, only. That slides over the fact that the facts may have chaned in the interim. As the famous economist John Maynard Keynes said in resonse to a verbal challenge: "Madame, when the facts change, my opinion changes!"

Here's the Hobson's choice: someone does nasty stuff like stalking to prove non-residency, or just accept Mikey's assertion that he is a resident & eligible to keep his seat on the BoS.

Of course, Mikey could do the right thing and tell the truth. A simple solution to a sticky situation.

Yeah, and pigs can fly backwards.

#9 2011-09-11 16:31:07

GREAT post.

Thank you, stewie :)

• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » i promote dan oconell for selectmen to run in the next election

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com