#1 2011-08-07 10:32:40

Almost choked on my cup o' tea reading this:

•    WEST BRIDGEWATER
•    New assessor named
•    August 7, 2011
John Donahue, who was recently appointed to the part-time position of principal assessor by the Board of Assessors, started work Wednesday. He replaced Stephen J. Dunn, who resigned recently to become Duxbury’s director of assessing. A longtime Wareham resident, Donahue has owned his own real estate appraisal business since 1978. From 2001-2004, he was chief assessor in Swansea. In Wareham, Donahue is a former longtime member of the Board of Assessors, and a former town moderator. Currently, he serves as a member of the Plymouth County Charter Commission. “I’m excited,’’ he said of his new job in West Bridgewater. “I look forward to the opportunity to work with the Board of Assessors and serve the taxpayers of West Bridgewater.’’ - John Laidler

**********************************************************************************************

W. Bridgewater today.....Wareham tomorrow. That new Wareham assessor better keep checkin' the rear view mirror, that may be Curlie sniffin' up her backside. Its shark Week, cue "Jaws" music.

See. It pays to run unopposed for an obscure, useless position such as the Plymouth County charter Commission. But,  what is the matter with the W.B. Board of Assessors? surely they know his track record. Very strange.

#2 2011-08-07 10:47:48

Wow, either they don't have google in West Bridgewater or that town is run by clowns too.

Notice he didn't tout his time as a parole officer...maybe doesn't want any questions as to why he isn't one anymore?

#3 2011-08-07 10:57:43

Maybe the illustrious Sen Pacheco was able to land this boot-licker another job..Im sure the DOR will be keeping close tabs considering the failures that have occured in Wareham and Swansea..good luck West Bridgewater, you'll need it!!

#4 2011-08-07 12:53:23

the guy is an idiot,ole curlie what is uip with these towns dont they do there reserch,     the biz gets the accounting job in raynhamand curlie gets a job in west bridgwater, whats next saguinet the town admimerstrator in halifax, good gaud.

#5 2011-08-07 16:03:42

Upon further review.....

The following article might explain a lot about the Town of west Bridgewater hiring curlie, a legend in his own mind. Based on this article, Curlie may be a perfect fit for that Town.

**********************************************************************************************

West Bridgewater assessors chairman and head clerk cited for ethics violations
By Maria Papadopoulos
The Enterprise
Posted Feb 01, 2011 @ 05:00 AM

WEST BRIDGEWATER —
  The state Ethics Commission has fined the chairman of the town’s board of assessors $5,000 for improperly reducing a friend’s property tax bill.
   Stephen McCarthy, who has held a position on the board since 2005, has paid the fine and told The Enterprise on Monday that the incident in question was “misfortunate.”
   The Ethics Commission also fined Donna Cotter, the assessors’ head clerk, $1,000, saying she should not have processed the paperwork for the property-tax abatement. She, too, has paid the fine.
   “This is just something that happened and it’s misfortunate,” McCarthy said.  I’m doing an excellent job over there.”
   The Ethics Commission said McCarthy, who has more than three decades of assessing experience, including 14 years in Brockton, helped friends Daniel and Marjorie McNally prepare paperwork to request that their home assessment be reduced from $280,600 to $240,000.
   The paperwork went before the assessors in February. McCarthy disclosed that it came from a friend, and he encouraged the board to approve it. The board took no action.
   McCarthy signed the application and certificate and sent it to Cotter for processing. Abatements must carry the signatures of two assessors, and a certificate must be prepared by the board’s staff.
   McCarthy said Monday he did not realize his was the only signature on the application.
   “I should have double checked the signature status. I did not,” McCarthy said. “The application going through with only one signature was incorrect.”
   “Due to a lack of communication within the office, this misfortunate incident came about,” McCarthy said.
   The abatement reduced the McNallys’ tax bill by about $340.
   “The conflict of interest law prohibits public employees from using their positions to obtain privileges for their friends,” Ethics Commission Executive Director Karen L. Nober said in a statement announcing the fines.
  Town Administrator Elizabeth Faricy said the Board of Selectmen will take the matter under advisement “and make a determination at a later date as far as any action that should be taken” regarding McCarthy and Cotter.
  Selectmen Chairman Eldon Moreira called the ethics violations “shocking” and praised both McCarthy and Cotter for their hard work.
   McCarthy “does not deserve this for the work that he puts in,” Moreira, 80, said. “He puts his heart and soul into that job.”
   And “I’ve got nothing but praise to say for (Cotter). Anything I need for the town, she’s right up there,” Moreira said.     Cotter could not be reached Monday.

Copyright 2011 Wicked Local West Bridgewater. Some rights reserved

" I look forward to... work[ing] with the Board of Assessors...."  Does that mean that he will be bringing his personal attorney to the meetings of the BoA, as in swansea?

" I look forward to...serv[ing] the taxpayers of West Bridgewater." does that mean that he will actually make an appearance in the Town? inspect properties as required? process the building permits for assessing purposes? In other words, has the leopard changed its spots since its unhappy time in Swansea?

Stay tuned, mes amis. this should be interesting.

#6 2011-08-07 17:38:49

Ah yes, thanks Stewie, it all makes sense now...

#7 2011-08-10 08:38:48

Curly has been awfully chatty in the defunct out of business rag site since he got a job.  I wonder, while he's chatting, could he explain why he's no longer a parole officer or does he want to just keep ignoring the question?

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com