2. ROLL CALL
3. ANNOUNCEMENTS
4. CITIZENS PARTICIPATION
5. UPDATE ON TRIATHLON BY TIM RICHMOND OF MAX PERFORMANCE
6. PROCLAMATION – 2011 NATIONAL SAFE BOATING WEEK IN WAREHAM
7. DISCUSSION WITH MIKE GUIDICE FROM CAMP, DRESSER & McKEE
8. WESTFIELD DISCUSSION
9. CONSENT AGENDA

a. Authorization to sign bills and documents, etc.
b. Approval of minutes: Regular session; July 27, 2010, January 11, 2011, April 12, 2011.

10. LICENSES & PERMITS

a. Application from Onset Cape Verdean Festival Association, c/o Michael Roderick for the use of the Onset Bandshell and Bluffs and to close off a portion of Union Avenue for their annual Cape Verdean Festival on August 13, 2011 from 7:00a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (rain date: August 14, 2011).
b. Application from Wareham Village Association, c/o Jackie Lindsey for the use of Merchant’s Way Train Depot for their 4th Annual Polar Swan Express on November 26th, 27th, of 2011 from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
c. Application from Onset Bay Association, c/o Eleanor Martin for the use of Shell Point Beach for their annual Fireworks Display on July 2, 2011 from 9:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (rain date: July 9, 2011).

11. TOWN ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT

a. Leadership Team.
b. Wareham Police Department Policies & Procedures.
c. Grand Opening of Lindt Chocolate factory at Wareham Crossing.
d. Annual Legislative Breakfast.
e. FY2012 Budget Presentation.

Status Report of ongoing issues/projects.
12. TOWN BUSINESS

a. Chapter 61A – Rosebrook Way.
b. FY2012 Budget.
c. Discussion with sponsors of articles for Annual and Special town meeting warrant.
d. Vote on Annual and Special Town Meeting warrant articles.
e. Any other town business.

13. SEWER BUSINESS

a. Any other sewer business.

14. LIAISON REPORTS
15. ADJOURNMENT
16. SIGNING OF DOCUMENTS APPROVED BY THE BOARD

Last edited by billw (2011-05-06 16:14:40)

#2 2011-05-07 13:06:25

12. TOWN BUSINESS

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/Rosebrook.2010-04-28-Wed-10-51-35-am.jpg
Rosebrook - 2010-04-28 Wed 10:51:35am

What's this? Makepeace wants its business park assessed and taxed at agricultural rates?

Let's see, Makepeace builds a medical center for out-of-town doctors and their out-of-town patients - so they don't have to venture downtown and rub elbows with peasants like us - and we get NOTHING in return.

Heads up, everyone. Something doesn't smell right.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by billw (2011-05-07 13:16:42)

#3 2011-05-10 19:15:06

bump

#4 2011-05-11 10:05:56

#5 2011-05-12 10:44:01

BillW, nice picture!

But, the presentation by Makepeace was NOT to have the land being commercially developed assessed & taxed as Agricultural land under Chapter 61A of MGL. They were there to have that developed land REMOVED from chapter land status, which it currently has.

A sale or change in use in Chapter land requires that the owner notify the BoS, the BoA, and others. the notification initiates a short period of time within which the Town can purchase the land at market value. This is what Makepeace was doing at the meeting. It is SOP for any owner/seller of chapter lands to do so. The removal of the land from chapter status also triggers a rollback tax; which means that makepeace will have to pay the Town the difference between the taxes it paid under Chapter 61A and the taxes they would have paid if the land had been assessed under Chapter 59, i.e market value. Probably not too much, given that it was mostly back land; and there is no requirement that they pay interest on the difference. The Makepeace rep mentioned the rollback tax in the meeting.

If I recall the Town Meeting where the BDOD (Business District overlay District  -  I think) was created, the land bounded by Routes 28, I-195, and 25 was to be a mix of developed upland and cranberry bogs. I remember the late Mrs. Pillsbury making extended comments in favor of the article. The goal was to have high-end facilities, such as a marriott-style hotel, interspersed with working cranberry bogs at a highly visible tract of land. There should be significant tax revenue from all this; altho the medical building will probably try to claim exempt status and avoid real estate taxes.

Last edited by stewie (2011-05-12 10:45:27)

#6 2011-05-12 11:00:53

Assessor?  did Andrews mention the position of Assessor? Both positions? (currently vacant).

Well, yes he did, if you sort thru the usual double talk. He reminds me of the Steinbrenner character on Seinfeld.

Let's see. the position was advertised, candidates applied, and three finalists were selected. One of whom I was told, was none other than Curly himself.

Now the position has been re-advertised in the Mass Municipal Assoc. (MMA) website; but NOT in the Assessors' website. HUH? Wassup? Now we have nine candidates. Its your Local Goverment Inaction.....again. Is there a plan afoot to advertise, readvertise, and repeat the cycle until the town is left with only ONE so-called 'choice'?

Remember the famous story about President-elect Kennedy, when asked how he was going to announce his decision to appoint his brother as Attorney General. He said he would open his front door at midnight (he lived in Georgetown in DC), look both ways to make sure no one was around, then whisper: "It's Bobby". Perhaps andrews is planning something simillar at the front door of the town Hall. "It's curly".  YIKES!

Last edited by stewie (2011-05-12 11:02:07)

#7 2011-05-12 11:12:48

stewie wrote:

But, the presentation by Makepeace was NOT to have the land being commercially developed assessed & taxed as Agricultural land under Chapter 61A of MGL. They were there to have that developed land REMOVED from chapter land status, which it currently has.

12. TOWN BUSINESS

Thank you, you're right. Then again, that agenda item is less than specific.

#8 2011-05-12 18:11:55

Bill, I don't know how many doctor's will be from out of town, but I heard today that Dr. Kruger's office will be the entire top floor and that Dr. Howard's office will be on the second floor.

#9 2011-05-12 23:32:11

Curly is a finalist?  Really?  Even with all of the articles about his time in Wareham and in Swansea?

Any town official who approves of hiring Curly should be recalled immediately.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com