#1 2011-04-13 20:26:13

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/2011-04-13.northandoverpressrelease.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#2 2011-04-13 21:02:11

I hope Stewie can explain to us the financial impact on Wareham assuming enhanced retirement benefits and the other impactive issues that will result because of this appointment.

#3 2011-04-13 21:22:29

Im no economist but it appears the upper middle class, higher per capita income, overperforming School system Town is making a choice that lots seem to agree with..how is it, then, that a depressed community with a lower per capita income and a minimum funded school system justify this kind of salary?..

#4 2011-04-14 08:02:20

I also hope Stewie can tell us if Stanley's appointment in ANY way affects Tom Joyce's retirement benefits.

Rumor I heard...true?

#5 2011-04-14 10:20:15

North Andover Board of Selectmen and Town Manager wrote:

“Chief Stanley stated to us that the Town Administrator in Wareham was recently able to offer him a significant increase in salary beyond what North Andover has the fiscal capacity to provide and that in the financial interests of his family he could not turn down this opportunity.”

The part that “caught my eye” was: “..in the financial interests of his family he could not turn down this opportunity.”

Hard to refute a statement like “I’ve gotta feed the kids”, right? But it doesn’t “ring true” coming from Stanley. He earns $133,000 (annually) from North Andover alone…and since (I’m sure) he “played” them like he “played” Wareham..they probably were willing to up the ante beyond 133K.. Stanley “raked in” a combined ~390K from North Andover and Wareham over the last 20 months or so (and who knows if he has other sources of income). I give the North Andover Administration credit for getting out of Stanley’s “bad deal”..they should breathe a sigh of relief. Wareham won’t be quite so lucky.

During the “appointment”…Cruz was confused on what was voted on (watch the vid). Holmes had to tell him what was voted on..Schneider confirmed what Holmes said..Cruz said it was for a “consensus” (when it was to “appoint”, actually)…and then Andrews “takes over” and says he just needed a consensus of the board…since it’s a lateral transfer it “takes precedent”..(over what..our Charter?? ..and the requirement that all appointments need to be confirmed by a vote of the full board after each selectman receives written notice of the appointment thus giving them 15 days to “act”??)… Stanley signed a contract before he had the requirements filled to do it. North Andover had yet to approve his “transfer’..and the civil service requirements had yet to be fulfilled. As usual (in Wareham)..it was done “ass backwards”. I don’t care what Andrews says..this is an appointment, and the Town Administrator (more than anyone else) should be following town policy, and the Town Charter (to the letter)..and his expensive “counsel” (…who’s supposedly an “expert” on the Charter) should be “advising” his client better.

A confused Chairman who didn’t even know what he voted on, two spanking new “MWF” selectmen who were “overly anxious” to vote to appoint Stanley at "any cost" (..before Andrews had even appointed him!)… one selectman left “out of the loop” and blind-sided..and another on vacation (again). When push comes to shove Andrews has shown that he takes the stance that he can do whatever he wants, and despite the mounting evidence of his poor management abilities he can afford to take that stance. Without a “super majority” (4 out of 5) selectmen he’ll be able to run our finances into the ground…unfettered. Welcome to Wareham (grab your ankles).

Last edited by DDPTRO (2011-04-14 12:54:40)

#6 2011-04-14 12:31:53

I agree, Dave.

You now have an arrogant TA, not openly arrogant, but arrogant in that he knows he has a BOS he can dupe.

#7 2011-04-14 13:08:28

Also from the Town Charter (The Minority Report)..

Elizabeth M. Carmichael wrote:

"My disagreement with the other members of the Charter Commission centers on article 4, the town administrator.  In my judgment this article in the form in which it is written, will separate the citizens of Wareham from their government.  No longer will the people have a direct say on who runs the town and how it is run.  The powers the Charter would give to the administrator are tremendous - he would be a virtual dictator!  The only power our elected selectmen would have over him, if they disagree or disapprove of the way he is performing his duties, would be to fire him.  This could not only put the town in a state of constant turmoil, but could also be quite costly..."

Wareham Town Charter

I believe the "Minority Report" was written by Donna Bronk's mother. "Kudos" to her for having the foresight that others lacked.

Last edited by DDPTRO (2011-04-17 02:55:52)

#8 2011-04-14 13:23:55

Hear,Hear...

#9 2011-04-14 15:49:09

Stewie's here, Dano. Let me briefly respond to a few points. Sorry to be slow to post, I am hip deep in the Big Muddy helping out a close friend with filing a complaint regarding an Open Meeting Law violatiion in another Town.

1. Will analyze the pension impact and make a separate posting. It'll be interesting.

2. Chief Joyce. I do not see any impact on chief Joyce, who I assume is still in Marion & the Onset Fire Department. The pension calculation is an individual thing, so it is hard to imagine that chief Stanley's hiring impacts Chief Joyce in any way. Please note, however, that I know very little about Civil Service rules & regs  -  is that a possible issue? Don't know. But the State pension system rules are geared to individual calculations based on an individual's age, years of service, highest 3-year average salary, etc.

3. the virus of financial distress is spreading. the town to the tune of > $900,000. the wareham Fire District to the tune of $170,000. the Onset Fire District, where there are  questions about the use of betterment funds, and talks of transfers between departments to stay alive. And one blogger posts that Stanley will want a new police station ASAP. Simple solution. Fold the Districts into the Town (where they belong, IMO), and use one of the now surplus buildings from the Districts as a 'new'police station. OK, maybe some modifications will be needed. Gotta think outside the box, here.

#10 2011-04-14 17:07:51

Thanks, Stewie...look forward to more information.

I don't believe that you will EVER, in our lifetimes, see the Onset and Wareham Water/Fire Districts merge and have control assumed by the Town.

I worked on that 40 years ago, and it hasn't stopped since. The jealousy between Onset and Wareham is still, and always has been, palpable.

The thought of the TOWN taking over is strictly forbidden. The two Fire/Water Districts merging is always a possibility, but the Town's Dept. would have to be assumed, and the one District would have to be in charge of all fire/rescue operations.

The problem is: how do you merge and make EVERYONE happy?

Obviously I didn't figure it out 40 years ago, and.....

#11 2011-04-14 19:22:19

The agenda is being pushed along by Andrews,  take the time to ask random people what they think about the inflated salary of the police chief and you will get the real answer of what the towns people thinks, and its not positive.  In general the concensus is people have to much going on in their personal lives to be paying attention but when they hear the dough being given too the chief they are disgusted.   Big salaries are being given out by Andrews at an alarming rate  to his buddies and he is getting away with it.   Families are worn to the bone on their finances, the senior programs are hurting and veteran services continue to struggle but yet we can find over $60K more than the last police chief from just two years ago to give to one person.  Andrews should be ashamed of himself and run out of town along with Begly, Schneider and Cruz for their total lack of judgement.  From this point forward the new motto for Wareham is "Bend over and spread em'.

#12 2011-04-14 21:14:08

Here is some information I received that I promised to pass along:

Here is the email for the Civil Service compliance officer over Wareham. Send her an email asking if what Mark Andrews is doing is legal under civil service and did he comply with Civil Service law.

Luz.m.Henriquez@MassMail.State.MA.US

Last edited by billw (2011-04-14 22:24:53)

#13 2011-04-15 20:43:13

THANK YOU, Bill.

#15 2011-04-15 22:04:31

Yeah...read this and weep:

Wareham selectmen appointed Stanley as full-time police chief Tuesday, agreeing to pay him $166,000 a year — roughly $30,000 more than he makes in North Andover.

Plus, plus, plus...SUCKERS!!!

#16 2011-04-16 09:25:09

here is a link to a video from fridays n andover BOS meeting with stanley.....

http://northandover.patch.com/articles/ … eo-5667427

#17 2011-04-16 18:50:49

/

Last edited by DDPTRO (2011-04-17 02:55:02)

#18 2011-04-16 19:47:24

What a piece of two faced crap.

Professional bureaucrat...especially working for the government.

He won't last long in Wareham.

Once the money disappears, so does he.... won't be long.

#19 2011-04-16 20:29:06

"this came up so quick"..................  Yeah, right.

#20 2011-04-16 20:30:37

I wonder, is this his North Andover Police uniform?  No class.

#21 2011-04-17 07:54:11

People in N.Andover call him a fat drunken clown.

No-one in Wareham would do that. We are too polite to call him a fat drunken clown.

#22 2011-04-17 08:32:23

danoconnell wrote:

People in N.Andover call him a fat drunken clown.

No-one in Wareham would do that. We are too polite to call him a fat drunken clown.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/sidepic/payaso.boracho.gordo.png

#23 2011-04-17 08:45:39

Great pic, Bill...all the shirt needs is a little badge!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com