#1 2011-02-14 19:49:17

Forget for a moment no one in their right mind seeks the office.

Who would you -like- to see run?

#2 2011-02-14 19:54:07

Besides you, Bill??

#3 2011-02-14 20:20:04

Harrythebarber wrote:

Besides you, Bill??

The link above is signed and duly notarized and isn't a joke.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#4 2011-02-14 21:20:32

I've been thinking about this and there's only one person that I think would make an excellant selectman, but he isn't interested in the job.

I'd like to see someone with a good head for finance, with common sense, not a gameplayer and someone who isn't afraid to speak up to the people and to his fellow selectmen, for the good of Wareham, not friendship alone.  Claire McWilliams comes to mind in the above category.  If I could pick parts of former selectmen and board members and ordinary citizens, I believe I could form a good candidate for selectman.  Everyone else I can think of is dead, Bill.

#5 2011-02-14 21:46:59

justme said the name of the best Selectman ever to hold the office. Claire McWilliams. Hope to see her soon.

She was always a lady, but very tough when needed and very wise and knowledgeable about the position of Selectman. She was the BOS Office Manager for 20 years before being elected. She taught me to appreciate the history of the office...I wonder when the last time the members of the Board of Selectmen perambulated the bounds....they probably never heard of it.

#6 2011-02-14 22:58:57

Here are the people I know that I would like to see run, but won't...but....write in? Would they refuse to serve?

Dick Wheeler
Sandra Wheeler
Dave Depetroe
Larry McDonald
Liz McDonald
Nicole Dispiquale

I am sure there are many more.

#7 2011-02-15 02:17:05

I agree.

#8 2011-02-15 07:53:10

Here is the answer many of you requested:

Perambulate the bounds:

make an official inspection on foot of (the bounds of a property); "Selectmen are required by law to perambulate the bounds every five years"

It is usually done on a Saturday when the Selectmen from surrounding Towns walk to whatever Town location points and paint the names of the Selectmen perambulating and the date. I have sloshed through the woods many times to do it, and it always brought a sense of history and the opportunity to meet Selectmen in bordering Towns...tradition as well as a legal requirement.

#9 2011-02-15 16:55:08

Here are some good write in candidates:

ANY member of the Pillsbury family.

#10 2011-02-15 20:32:56

Although very kind of you Dan I think I will pass on that one.  I do agree with you regarding Pillsbury, DiPetro and ofcourse the McDonalds.  It was reported that Larry was going to run despite being the worst kept secret but as we know that wasn't true.  I hope that we can all start to agree on a write in candidate as the pool doesn't seem to be deep enough with viable candidates.  I hope that Jennifer Petersen will submit her papers in time.  I don't know enough about DeFlice to make an informed decision yet.

#11 2011-02-15 21:47:54

No one knows anything about any candidates, Nikki, that is the problem.

#12 2011-02-15 22:32:05

Back when Bush was running against Kerry for reelection I can not tell you how scared many of us at work were.  We sat around pondering the outcome if Kerry got voted into office.  9/11 was still fresh in our minds and the next 4 years would determine our futures.  Each president had their own idea of how to deal with terrorism/terrorists, the economy, the budget.  Our future, our childrens future laid in the hands of these two polar opposite people.  We of course know how that election ended, but the same fear can be compared to this upcoming election.  Rather than a war of such magnitude but a town war.  I am tired of the fighting.  I think it safe to assume that a majority of people are tired of the fighting.  No one cares who started it.  We just want people to work together.
There are so many accusations of political gain it got me thinking, what do I have to gain by who is voted in? 
Hmmm...wow you would think that question is so hard to answer but really it's not.  I have a lot to gain.  The person(s) voted in will be fighting for me, my family...our future!!!!  I want someone who is going to do the right thing and protect our future!  They hold my future in their hands.  I want them to hire qualified, intellectual, common sense approached people.  I want them to support the department heads.  I want them to stand by their mission statement.  They should all memorize it and remember that they work for us! 

Take a look at the candidates that we do know.  How could Cronan possibly believe that he encompasses the mission statement of the BOS?  Donahue for Moderator?  As I stated earlier, he doesn't believe in Town Meeting, how could he possibly think we will forget his statements and believe he will be nuetral and be honest to his position?  Ellen Begley and Mike Schneider; MWF-do they encompass what it takes to hold my future in their hands and do the right thing?

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com