#1 2011-02-11 16:46:48

now TA wants to make us a gateway town part of the States Gateway Cities program. No not going to solve any of the budget problems and I don't think we meet the mesurments for this program sofar most are cities New Bedford is one and they have not gotten much more in budget money some help in different programs but not to help the annual budget. He is grasping at straws. We need to look deeper do away with the two seperate water and fire dept. as most city and towns have done. I know this is as sacred as Town Meeting but we have to start somewhere. The Town is a major corporation and has to run like one with the approvel of the stockholders US. Lets start thinking like stockholders and make the corp. report to us not them slevs. Fuck bobo.

#3 2011-02-11 17:59:33

PLEASE EVERYONE...read the whole thing that Bill wrote.

Who should be teaching a class in creative writing?

The irony is that everything he wrote is absolutely true.

How amazing...the truth!

#4 2011-02-11 23:20:18

Bill
I can beleave what you write as it fits to the new england way. My family does not go back that far in wareham but does go back to the the Mayflower and then to Middelboro so I do know some of the local history. and what you say fits to how the old timers felt there were no Migrants then and you just passed through or stoped to harvest the cape was a different story.  as were the Islands. New Bedford was a little different as it was the center of commerce and the richest city in the world in the 1860 per capata. hard to belive today. but it does have a rich history as does Wareham and the rest of the area. Time to bring it back . and we can do it if we really want to.

#5 2011-02-11 23:21:50

Sorry I took spelling lessons from bobo.

#6 2011-02-11 23:39:42

tinkerbell wrote:

Sorry I took spelling lessons from bobo.

Try this, you'll like it.

"Colonial Times on Buzzards Bay", Unabridged

#7 2011-02-12 00:01:09

thank you Bill. we think along the same lines

#8 2011-02-13 21:14:39

As a child, I grew up on Rte. 28.  Each section of the road had it's own name.  Tremont Rd, Elm St., etc.  There were no highways and the traffic was bumper to bumper from Friday to Sunday.  Eating establishments, gift shops, etc. thrived, even though we could barely get out of our driveways.  Swifts Beach, Parkwood Beach, Pinehurst Beach, We We Antic Beach, Little Harbor Beach and Onset Beach were always crowded with tourists.  Wareham was indeed, "The Gateway to Cape Cod".  The highways were put in and we lost countless gift shops, restaurants, and motels along Rte. 28, like the Austria Motel, the Handy Shop, Gray Gables gift shop, the Family Table, etc. - all gone.  The stores in downtown Wareham and Buzzards Bay looked like a ghost town after a while.  People are rediscovering us.  They realize they don't have to travel over the bridges for good beaches and shops. 

I know billw is correct.  I know we need money.  I DO NOT want us to become a "gateway town", part of the states Gateway Cities Program.  We are not a city.  Mr. T.A., make other changes, lower salaries of your buddies, get rid of Koppelman & Paige, get rid of your assistant and I could go on.  All the time you have spent on this idiotic idea of yours could have been used for more productive help for the town of Wareham.  We have been tagged, THE GATEWAY TO CAPE COD, for better or worse - LEAVE IT ALONE!

#9 2011-02-13 22:19:15

Right on, justme!

Remember Laroque's grocery store, A & W Root Beer, Frates and of course Lindsey's and Dairy Queen.

#10 2011-02-14 03:39:42

Yes I do.  Dainty Maid after the Saturday dance at the Monday Club.  China Maid, the Lighthouse Bar at the beginning of Redbrook Rd.  The Ocean Spray Building, the White Rabbit.  Memories.

#11 2011-02-14 07:48:31

Cranberry Highway lined with summer sweet shops and cotton candy, real full belly clams, lobster rolls, fresh bay scallops, lobsters by diving for them, flounder easily caught with string line, clear waters of Buttermilk Bay, the Onset Pier full and thriving, bath houses, small concession stands, Friday night concerts by the Town Band at the Band Shell, late night walks through Onset and the bluffs....as a President once said, "a gentler and kinder America.".

#12 2011-02-14 12:47:58

Lilly's barber Shop downtown, Lisio's Barber shop, the Decas Brothers Fruit and Vegetable Store, the cobbler, the Pawn Shop, the movie theater, the five and dime, Woolworth's, Ray Pezzoli on the street :)

#13 2011-02-14 15:01:35

Cuddy's Shoe store, Louise's Hats, Dennison's Shoe store, the bowling alley, Ryder's Market, the First National Store, Cornwells, Tassinari's Men's Store, Houle's Jewelry Store, Newman's Lady's and Men's stores, the Hidden House/Thompson's Grill, The hobby shop (can't remember the name).  We had no Woolworth's, it was McClellans 5 & 10.  The Onset Red & White Market w/the wooden floors and of course The Collegiate Store in Onset.  A good scallop season meant Christmas clothes from that store.  Love this town, the Gateway to Cape Cod.

#14 2011-02-14 15:12:56

I defer to your better memory, justme...McClellans it is :)

I loved those days (now :))...

#15 2011-02-14 15:20:52

I have a good feeling that some of those "better memories" will return.  Clean house, open the windows to freshen the stale smell, wash the walls and floors, dust off the furniture and invite some old friends (or new) to share our beautiful Wareham.

#16 2011-02-14 16:40:58

The drive-in movie theater doesn't deserve honorable mention? Furtive gropes on hot summer nights, booze and stowaways in the rumble seat? I have pictures here of the Dainty Maid, somewhere.

#17 2011-02-14 17:22:57

Ah, yes, the Drive In.

Watching the kids on the swings at sunset prior to the movie, smelling the popcorn and pizza slices inside the snack bar, lying on the hoods of old Ford and Chevy station wagons watching the movie, sneaking beers, smoking cigarettes, steaming up the windows of dad's Buick, sneaking around to see inside other steamed windows, hoping not to forget the speaker and rip out the driver's side window of dad's Buick....:)

#18 2011-02-14 17:24:09

What was the name of the pie shop entering Wareham center on the left near Bryant's farm?

#19 2011-02-14 22:13:17

Yes Bill, the drive in.  As kids we would walk through the woods to play on the swings during the day time, only if the tides were right.  Lynda Ames with her dad's old black truck at the drive-in.  I remember going there with my parents when I was little to see a war film - Bridie Murphy?  Correct me here.  The Night of The Living Dead ~ I had nightmares for a week.  The Hank Williams Story had me in tears.

My cousin lived in White Island summers and drove an ice cream truck for Dainty Maid.  Anyone remember the time the train hit the ice cream truck on the tracks behind Millpond Pkg.?  No one will ever forget Keith Lent who worked at Dainty Maid.  Boy was he tall.

The pie shop has me stumped, Dan.  Hey, Lynda Ames.  You must have the answer to that one.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com