#1 2010-10-28 13:30:05

Since pleas for people to show up to Town Meeting seems to be falling on deaf ears, I offer you the following thoughts:

I too am tired of watching the misinformation and concerted effort to push through an agenda that has not only resulted in terrified and angry employees, but has already cost this town hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees. I question why I even attend town meeting.

Then, I remember Dick Wheeler and his magical kayak paddlethon run to raise money for the Wareham Free Library. At the tender age of 78, Dick Wheeler paddled thousands of miles to raise money for the Wareham Free Library. He didn't do it in the summer! This was a labor of love to raise money for a library that needed HIS help. He didn't do it for fame or for fortune, he did it simply to show his support.

When I was considering not returning to town meeting, I ran into Dick and we did our man hug and his smile brightened. I knew why I was there and I knew that no matter how many people give up, I would not.

This is our town. If you do not want to see our future and the future of our children leveraged, you should attend. It is long and it is tedious, but think about paddling a kayak in the winter for 1000's of miles and ask yourself if you can do more to bring accountability and sound leadership back to OUR town.

See you monday night!

Last edited by Larry McDonald (2010-10-28 13:32:17)

#2 2010-10-28 13:32:26

Hooray! Larry, well said.

#3 2010-10-28 13:47:04

Larry = leadership.

Please take his words with the utmost seriousness. No one will listen to the howling, the whining & Kavetching, the pissin' & moanin' if you do not step up.

right on, Larry.

#4 2010-10-28 21:51:31

I have to admit I am almost at the point where I just feel like it is too late.  This town has so many people willing to lend their help whether by volunteering on boards, fundraising or campaigning for this town.  But it seems like it falls on deaf ears.  It is claimed that we are in this for our own personal agendas.  How can MAS get a raise?  How can it be claimed that she hasn't rec'd one in 4 years when we all know this to be false?  How can they get away with it?  When I see so much bs going on and no one stops it and our attempts to stop seem futile I lose hope.

Larry - thank you for reminding me that there is still hope.  A very inspiring story.  I will see you Monday.

#5 2010-10-28 22:16:03

The evil that has permeated the poitics of Wareham is wide and deep.  They break all the rules.  They have an open checkbook with K&P who quick-step in support of whomever is writing the checks. K&P feels comfortable and secure - lying in statements to the Environmental Agencies - following through with the lies from the Spring Town Meeting  re the CR for Swifts Beach.  Are we beyond caring?

The good people must band together, inspire the weak to shed off these horrible people who are corrupt and devious. The bad guys are well organized, hateful, and destructive. You cut off one head and another grows back.  The good people have to get well- informed and show up to be heard!

Yes, there is still hope!

Last edited by mama bear (2010-10-29 08:13:00)

#6 2010-11-03 08:07:54

Larry McDonald wrote:

Then, I remember Dick Wheeler and his magical kayak paddlethon run to raise money for the Wareham Free Library. At the tender age of 78, Dick Wheeler paddled thousands of miles to raise money for the Wareham Free Library. He didn't do it in the summer! This was a labor of love to raise money for a library that needed HIS help. He didn't do it for fame or for fortune, he did it simply to show his support.

I remember that too.  Dick raised about $60,000 in 2008.  Before any MOUs.  Unfortunately the Wareham Free Library has only received $20,000 of that money to date.

As a library trustee does that concern you Larry?  Dick as the one who paddled so much does it concern you?  At any rate, THANK YOU FOR THE EFFORT!

#7 2010-11-03 09:14:53

Shamrock: You've got your financial details mixed up.

All of the Paddlethon money ($62K) went to The Friends of the Wareham Library, where most of it went into books and supplies. The Friends also voted to make a one time gift of $20K to The Town of Wareham in order to retain a salaried person who was needed in order for WFL to retain its certification.

Given the enormous amount of  deliberate misinformation about WFL that has been published in The Wareham Observer in the past three years it's no wonder that naive readers of that publication are confused. Thanks for giving me the chance to set the record straight.

#8 2010-11-03 09:22:58

In the words of Dan o'Connell, "mole or troll"?

#9 2010-11-03 10:00:29

Shamrock,
What concerns me as a library trustee will not be discussed on here (by me). I would encourage you to get your facts straight before you make statements that simply are not true.

Would you care to show your source and proof supporting your claim?

#10 2010-11-03 16:59:00

Dick Wheeler wrote:

Shamrock: You've got your financial details mixed up.

All of the Paddlethon money ($62K) went to The Friends of the Wareham Library, where most of it went into books and supplies. The Friends also voted to make a one time gift of $20K to The Town of Wareham in order to retain a salaried person who was needed in order for WFL to retain its certification.

Dick and Larry,

Fact: The information is not from newspapers but it is available from Town Hall.  The town has no record of receiving anything more than $20,000 from the Friends of the WFL. 

Dick, are you saying that money was given by the Friends directly to the library without going through Town Hall?  If that is the case, wouldn't the Library Director be aware of it?

#11 2010-11-03 17:22:05

***%%%###mole.

#12 2010-11-03 21:43:29

Sounds like someone is trying to "ignite the flames of war"...or something like that...hmmmmmm?

#13 2010-11-04 00:25:59

Shamrock, try asking a member of the Friends.  The library gave the bills to them and they paid the bills directly.  I'm pretty sure I am correct.  I think there are a lot of things the library director isn't aware of from the past.

Any Friends that can vouch for what I just said?

#14 2010-11-04 01:01:16

As a friend of the Friends I can vouch for Beach Plum, but before we  start an elementary school  recess "yessir-nossir" argument, I have to ask Shamrock if she/he is on a quest for the truth or is just on a harassment mission.  If you are receptive to information regarding the mix of public and private money at WFL, give me a call and I'll set up a friendly gathering in which we can fill in the glaring gaps in your knowledge.  If ,however, you have bought into  the paranoid conviction that WFL is  recovering from a period of corruption, I'd like to suggest the beach in front of my house as a good place to fly a kite !

My telephone number: 291 1319

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2010-11-04 11:44:00)

#15 2010-11-04 09:42:10

I'm betting a pot-o-gold that "Shamrock" won't be seeking your gap stop offer, Mr Wheeler (always taught to respect my elders).
And I think you meant to say ...mix of public and private money... ?

On another note, has anyone noticed that the ONLY voters/speakers supporting the proposed Charter changes are the members of the charter review committee, one spouse and Selectmen Eckstrom. 
It's got me wondering just how much various input there was or is it the same handful that came up with all those warrant articles ?  I also find it odd that they represent to have the answers to what ails Wareham yet no way have the support of at least two thirds of the voters with a very low town meeting turn out. I hope this town meeting finally gets the message through that the voters don't support the overwhelming majority of the amendments offered.  And we still have several to go.

As I've read in most of the local newspapers, the entire effort has been poorly managed. 

Talk about discouraging voter participation.

#16 2010-11-04 09:44:32

witchunter wrote:

Talk about discouraging voter participation.

Yes, but I'm hoping their recent failures will now ENCOURAGE voter participation.  Turn out to town meeting, people, because there's nothing more fun than watching these people fail.

#17 2010-11-04 14:36:05

People who criticize Town Meeting because of low numbers of attendees don't take into consideration that the majority of people who vote in Town elections are unable to attend Town Meetings for whatever reason(excuse) they may have.

They know that the people who DO attend are representing THEM.

Ironically, it is a form or representative government within the confines of Town Meeting. If the silent majority of voters are displeased the way Town Meeting is being conducted, or unhappy with articles that are passed, or not passed, they will lash out and usually show their great displeasure by letter writing or phone calls or even ATTENDING themselves.

If they are happy with the reasoning and decisions of the Town Meeting, they go along with their business and appreciate those who attend and protect their interests.

Apparently, the majority of voters are very happy the way YOU, the people on this site, are representing them, because all but a few insignificant articles have been rejected, mainly CRC submissions.

You will prove a point again in April when you elect two new Selectmen.

If anyone doubts that, they are probably an incumbent and haven't been paying attention, or they are in denial.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com