#1 2010-08-08 21:58:40

Hey everybody, I haven't posted in a while, but I've been keeping tabs on things.  I saw the new MWF website, as well as CoachTP's article, and I registered an account so I could post on their site.  There were a number of issues with the article - basic civics stuff that they got wrong - so I was hoping to help them out.  What I got in response was essentially "Show us your papers".  Below is the email thread showing my conversation with a website administrator who refused to identify himself while requiring my identification.  Slager throws out the word "fascist" a lot, but there isn't much more fascist than "Identify yourself to the unidentified authority figure before you're allowed to speak", which is basically what this boils down to.  As always, this is an exact copy and paste:

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM, wrote:

In order to be a member we must have your actual name on file. Please reply with your real name. If no name is provided in a few days the account you just created will be deleted.

MWFadministrator

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Actual Name Required
Date: Sun, August 08, 2010 6:07 pm
To: admin@movewarehamforward.org

Hello,

This is an interesting requirement on your part, and one with which I am a bit disappointed.  I thought that you were going to be providing an open forum that wouldn't be restricting free speech, especially given the post that "CoachTP" (real name not given on the website) made.  It's also interesting, and a bit hypocritical (though just a little bit - I'm hoping that was just an automatically-added signature file), that you didn't sign this email with an actual name, but you're requiring mine.

I'm truly hoping to engage in a productive dialogue on your website.  I am not, however, going to use my real name.  I have actually already posted something that I hope is productive and helpful for you, and it's currently awaiting moderation in Wordpress.  I will not be providing my name, because I know how closely aligned your organization is with Robert Slager, and he has tried repeatedly to determine my identity.  In my opinion, he is untrustworthy, and he has made numerous attacks against my family which I know to be factually inaccurate.  I'm not willing to subject myself to the same public lashings to satisfy his need for revenge. 

I hope you reconsider this requirement - I have been waiting a while for an open forum to discuss issues facing Wareham, and thought this might have been it.

Regards,
ACasualObserver

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:41 PM, wrote:
You don't have to use you actual name as your screen name, but you do have to tell us who you are to be a member. It will be kept confidential unless a probem occurs. I will wait a little while before removing your account in case you want to comply.

One of the MWF website administrators.

Well that's disappointing.  I was hoping that someone in Wareham was actually going to be true to their word.  This definitely isn't "open".  Good luck in your efforts, and you can go ahead and delete my account. 

One of the former MWF website members

I doubt they'll approve my comment, but hopefully they'll take some of the info, and relay it to Slager as well.  Both Slager and MWF seem to confuse the Constitution with the Bill of Rights, so I tried to help them on that regard.  I also disagreed with their view on the Brady meeting, agreed with the view that the personal attacks here can get out of hand, and asked if they're going to link to any media sources, or just the observer's site.  I don't expect a reply. 

Maybe I'm naive, but I actually bought into what they were selling, especially the openness part.  Apparently it's only open if you're willing to show your papers at the door.  That's a shame.

#2 2010-08-08 22:27:47

Cas,
There is nothing open about the Move Wareham Backwards crew, in fact, I believe they are simply a thinly veiled communist organization. It looks good on paper but in practice it leaves a lot to be desired.
Slager is fast on his way out of town, papers sit untouched, he is running ads for many who haven't renewed their ads, and he continues to assume that the six people who follow him represent the view of the entire community.
Get this little remark made on his website, just his latest in his sick obsession with Cara Winslow:
"Winslow dug herself an even deeper hole when she said my column was “an insult to these municipals maintenance workers today. It was unfair to them and they are owed an apology.” It was clear to 99 percent of the people who read the initial column that it had nothing to do with the effort of municipal maintenance. I commended those employees repeatedly. The point was that a selectman should not be picking and choosing who to honor based on politics (several sources have confirmed that this was Winslow's intention from the beginning)."
We have all seen the e-mails, so who is his source? Six people were sent the e-mail. We know Steve and Walter didn't talk to him. For as much as I have never had a liking for Jane I doubt she is the culprit here. That leaves Brenda. But, here is the problem, Brenda and Cara do not talk to each other. That is a fact straight from Brenda's mouth. Are we to believe that either Brenda or Slager now has the ability to read the minds of this new Selectman? Insanity.
Where are the "notagroup" folks screaming at the outrage for this clear attempt to undermine the voice of the people? Over 4,000 people went to the polls this past April, half of them voted for Steve and a little less then half voted for Cara. I am willing to bet that most people who watched her take him to task were happy someone finally did.
Bear in mind my fellow truth bloggers that the Tri-Town rag went out because the good folks in Marion, Mattapoisett and Rochester refused to feed into his garbage. When he picked a fight with some political issue that escapes my old brain at the moment the community turned against him because they realized that he is poison. He is the poison here too.
Make no mistake about it, Make Wareham Fail is simply an attempt to keep Slager involved. I doubt his wife plans to pay all his bills forever.

#3 2010-08-08 22:35:17

I love the "it ( your name) will be kept confidential UNLESS A PROBLEM OCCURS".
Huh?
What kind of problem?

#4 2010-08-08 22:44:45

Just went back to the site, and I no longer had an account.  They also didn't approve my comment.  Looks like the thought police are alive and well in Wareham, and they're operating under the name "Move Wareham Forward (but only in the direction that we point)"

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com