#1 2010-06-18 13:03:52

A few weeks ago I went with a friend to the 5th floor of the Multi Service Center.  It happened to be Thursday which is the day you can get your blood pressure checked for free. While I was waiting for my friend, who was talking to Tim from the career center, the seniors from the senior day center got off the elevator to get their blood pressure checked.  I noticed one of the seniors was in a wheel chair and at least one, maybe two were using walkers. As I sat there I wondered what would happen if a fire broke out and they couldn’t use the elevator. How would they get these people downstairs?

The town is responsible for the safety of these people. I know years ago the senior day program was moved from the mug and muffin room to it’s location on the 2nd floor (which is actually the ground floor) I don’t know if that was done because of safety issues. These people are sometimes on the 5th floor; they go to mug and muffin 3rd floor, they eat lunch in the basement everyday and I think they attend classes on the upper levels. How would they get out if there was an emergency and the elevator didn’t work?

Jim Newman was also moved to the 3rd floor from the ground floor. How would he get out if there was a fire or any other emergency? Does Marcia have an evacuation plan for the people from the senior day center or Jim if an emergency happens and they are on the upper levels and can’t use the elevator?  Does the fire dept conduct fire drills in town buildings?

#2 2010-06-18 13:59:07

Wow, Marny..........you truly are a Wareham observer.  Great question that I would like to hear an answer to.  Perhaps Wareham Fire could give you the answers we would all love to know.

#3 2010-06-18 14:24:40

I guess I’m just a natural worrier. My dad’s brother was a fireman and he taught all of us no matter where you go make sure you know where all the fire exits are, in case of an emergency. I know I’ve seen fireman inspecting the building I just wondered if there was a plan in place for evacuation of someone who is handicapped and is on one of the upper levels. Biz has taken over Jim’s old office on the ground floor so I don’t know where they could put him.

#4 2010-06-18 15:13:45

My father was a fireman and later fire chief.  We were raised the same way.  Firemen inspecting the building were probably there for fire/smoke detectors, etc.    Maybe if they were informed about where the seniors have to go for a variety of things they will come back looking out for the specific concerns of our seniors.  Actually, you could just email your blog to the chief.  It is to the point about your concerns.

#5 2010-06-19 09:22:59

Does the town have evacuation procedures? During a fire an Elevator should never be used most public places have that info on the Elevator.

#6 2010-06-19 14:54:34

Phantom that is the question I asked. I was specifically referring to the people who attend the senior day center. Some of these people use walkers and as I said the day I was there one was in a wheelchair. The families of the senior day center put their loved ones in the town’s hands. The town is responsible for their safety. If someone is using a walker or a wheelchair and they happen to be on the upper floors how would these people get out if they couldn’t use the elevator?   As I said my other concern is Jim Newman who uses one of those scooters. He has been moved from the ground floor to the upper levels. How would he get out?

I don’t know who is responsible for coming up with an evacuation plan. Marcia is in charge of the senior day center, Is it her responsibility, the town’s or the fire dept to figure out how these people would get out if they are on the upper levels or lower levels and a fire breaks out.  One of our bloggers must know a fireman who could answer these questions.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com