#1 2010-06-09 07:00:58

DRIVE DOWN THE HIGHWAY STARTING ON THE EAST WAREHAM LINE AND TRAVEL THE LENGTH OF WAREHAM ,SEE ALL THE EMPYY STORES , THEY WERE FULL WHEN THE LAST BOARD OF SELECTMEN WERE AROUND THERE ARE OVER A DOZEN EMPTY STORES AND THIS IS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE CRAP BROUGT UP BY BRENDA AND JANE ,PEOPLE ARE MOVING OUT OF WAREHAM ,REALESTATE PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU WHEN PEOPLE  ARE MOVING TO TOWN THEY SAY THEY LOOK AT THE QUALITY OF THE WAREHAM SCHOOLS AND THE LIBRARY AND THEY ARE BOTH IN DECLINE BECAUSE OF THAT NASTEY BRENDA AND  JANE , THE SCHOOL COMMITEE VOTED NO CONFIDENCA IN JANE AND BRENDA AND THE LIBRARY HAS BEEN DEVESTATED UNDER THERE LEADERSHIP.   I FOR ONE WILL VOTE AGAINST THESE 2 CLOWNS.

#2 2010-06-09 11:42:59

Ceda wants to bring Wareham Center back to a good looking place, but without small business there it will not thrive.  We have banks and insurance companies holding down the fort.  We make deals with big companies to open their business in our industrial parks with huge tax breaks and other incentives.  Over the years I have seen a few questionable "breaks" or "perks" to some companies.  They hire their own people or bring them in from New Bedford, etc. for a small wage, which is spent outside of Wareham.  The majority of deals have been fine with me.  Why not some breaks for the owners of the little shops downtown.  High rent, due to high taxes, etc. can only last for a year or so and then they are gone.  Empty storefronts again.  What a waste.  We have a beautiful consignment shop that seems to be doing fine.  A card and gift shop, also seem to be fine.  The liquor store does well.         Why not something like a denim shop, a sweater store, a shoe store, a bath & body works type store?  Low rents, taxes could keep these places running.       I sat in Friendly's parking lot and stared at the old Kentucky Fried Chicken building.   Instead of tearing it down and building new, find a small store willing to work it.       I was informed last weekend that the manager of Wal-Mart has confirmed that a new one will be built in Wareham and the old Wal-Mart will be torn down.  What a waste.  Have little stores inside, like a mini indoor mall - something like the Vanity Fair outlet in Dartmouth.

How many out there remember the bustling center of Wareham 40 years ago.  A hobby shop, 3 shoe stores, a hat shop, 2 grocery stores, Newman's mens and ladies stores, Josselyn's tot and teen clothing store, a hat shop, Winn's camera and card shop, the electric company, hair salons, the movie theatre, the bowling alley, Cornwell's dept. store, Jay's drug store, Water's drug store, Houle's jewelry store, and the list goes on.  That would be the great improvement we are looking for in Wareham Center.

#3 2010-06-09 11:51:02

beach plum will they rebuild the walmart there or some other place.

#4 2010-06-09 12:47:32

I have heard that a new Market Basket store is slated for the now Morses Nursery.  I also heard that the new Wal*Mart will be a Sam's Club too.  Rumors everywhere but no real facts.

Developement like that could bring people to Wareham.  I also would like to see some sort of Downtown Association that could get some government relief for local merchants.  Hell the Government just announced that they are giving the Palestinians $400 million in aid..........might just as well burn it for all the good it will do.

#5 2010-06-09 13:10:35

Beach Plum and Quahog...two good candidates for Selectman!

#6 2010-06-09 14:54:14

Beach Plum wrote:

Why not something like a denim shop, a sweater store, a shoe store, a bath & body works type store?  Low rents, taxes could keep these places running.       I sat in Friendly's parking lot and stared at the old Kentucky Fried Chicken building.   Instead of tearing it down and building new, find a small store willing to work it.       I was informed last weekend that the manager of Wal-Mart has confirmed that a new one will be built in Wareham and the old Wal-Mart will be torn down.  What a waste.  Have little stores inside, like a mini indoor mall - something like the Vanity Fair outlet in Dartmouth.

Why would any store choose downtown Wareham over  thousands of other possible locations?  It takes more than just the promise of low taxes (especially when we keep saying we want businesses to come to Wareham so we can benefit from the tax revenue they provide).  I see nothing in downtown Wareham that is currently attractive to businesses and I don't see anything being put forth by the Town Planner that will change that.

I do like BP's suggestion about the Wal-Mart building.

#7 2010-06-09 15:56:35

You know it takes come creative planning and involvement of a local business group.  I saw the City of Taunton create a group called the "Heart of Taunton".  They hired an Executive Director who spends every working day trying to help small businesses and attract new ones.  Look at Middleboro.........it is antique shop heaven.  The landlords encourage the businesses by giving low rents.  This encourages the little guy or gal to stick it out in tough times. 

What small downtown businesses need is the big break on utility costs.  Last time I looked at mine, Nstar was not giving me a discount because of old age or good looks.

You can see the transition from most of the major shopping moving from the Cranberry Hwy. area to the new mall.  Do you ever wonder how much that Staples building is still costing them.  Got to sell a lot of paper and ink jet cartridges.  TJMax, Fashion Bug............gone with the legacy of empty buildings.

Wareham downtown and the Town in general needs to get on a big time kick of self promotion...........slogans, bumper stickers, banners on the street light poles like a lot of towns do.  Wareham Pride..............The Gateway to the Cape.  I used to travel all over New England every day and I have seen lots of small towns like ours thrive because they work at it.  Our Town can do it too with a combined effort of business and Town officials.  Maybe next year.

Just my opinion, maybe not worth to much

#8 2010-06-09 16:06:25

ihateliz wrote:

beach plum will they rebuild the walmart there or some other place.

He said that the new Wal-Mart will still be in Wareham, but would not say where.  This entire building and move will take one to two years he said.

#9 2010-06-09 16:09:25

danoconnell wrote:

Beach Plum and Quahog...two good candidates for Selectman!

SLAP YOUR FACE, DAN!   NEVER!   But I still love ya.

Last edited by Beach Plum (2010-06-09 16:10:09)

#10 2010-06-09 16:16:30

Ditto Dan..........done my time in two other towns...........need some young blood, people with a fire within to make a change.  I saw a number of young faces at Town Meeting.

Last edited by Quahog (2010-06-09 16:16:53)

#11 2010-06-09 16:29:50

Mr. Onset wrote:

Beach Plum wrote:

Why not something like a denim shop, a sweater store, a shoe store, a bath & body works type store?  Low rents, taxes could keep these places running.       I sat in Friendly's parking lot and stared at the old Kentucky Fried Chicken building.   Instead of tearing it down and building new, find a small store willing to work it.       I was informed last weekend that the manager of Wal-Mart has confirmed that a new one will be built in Wareham and the old Wal-Mart will be torn down.  What a waste.  Have little stores inside, like a mini indoor mall - something like the Vanity Fair outlet in Dartmouth.

Why would any store choose downtown Wareham over  thousands of other possible locations?  It takes more than just the promise of low taxes (especially when we keep saying we want businesses to come to Wareham so we can benefit from the tax revenue they provide).  I see nothing in downtown Wareham that is currently attractive to businesses and I don't see anything being put forth by the Town Planner that will change that.

I do like BP's suggestion about the Wal-Mart building.

The Mgr. said the Wal-Mart building will be torn down.  Rumor has spread that it could be behind the Wareham Crossing.  Rumor.

The big box store that will be coming to Morse's property is "supposed" to be along with Market Basket, which I would like to see.  Tax revenue goes to Rochester.   I'm sure people from Wareham and small surrounding towns will be employed there, but don't forget what Target did when they came to town.  They hired Wareham residents to set up the entire store and just before opening, they let them go, except for key dept. heads and cashiers.   Ask around, you probably know some one that this was done to.  I know 3 people that were let go.

Wareham Week, June 3rd edition had two pages, with diagrams of how CEDA's 5 yr Downtown Design project will look.  They said this is likely to begin next spring.  It is to make downtown more attractive and easier for pedestrians to navigate.  State grant money - $685,000 - will get the first of four phases off the ground.  This is all being done by grant money and none comes from the town.  Director Reilly said that this will get people out of their cars, walking around.    To what, I ask.

You said you see nothing in downtown Wareham that is currently attractive to businesses.  This is why we need to give the smaller stores a break - somehow - and bring them in while the beautification process is taking place.  They give industrial park businesses breaks on their taxes for a set amount of years.  I'm not giving up on the Town Planner before he has had a chance to speak about this.

#12 2010-06-09 16:36:46

Quahog - I will have to hunt for it, but I got a letter yesterday from an electric company that is looking for businesses and "promise" around a $50.00 a month savings.  Could have that info for you tomorrow and just to let you know,  I value your opinions.

#13 2010-06-09 16:40:54

Dear Mr. Onset & Beach Plum:
Who is the Town Planner to which you both refer in your posts?

#14 2010-06-09 17:06:14

Anthoula wrote:

Dear Mr. Onset & Beach Plum:
Who is the Town Planner to which you both refer in your posts?

This would come under the Planning Board, Town Planning, etc.  I trust that the someone out there knows the correct names.

#15 2010-06-09 20:07:36

I stand corrected... there is apparently currently no Town Planner.  I was thinking of the CEDA director.

#16 2010-06-09 20:50:34

Mr. Onset wrote:

I stand corrected... there is apparently currently no Town Planner.  I was thinking of the CEDA director.

Yes, Reilly, but the planning board was in my brain (stuck again)

#17 2010-06-10 16:19:48

Quahog -   The letter I rec'd about small businesses getting a cheaper electric rate is from EASY ENERGY, P.O. BOX 866, BOLTON, MA.  01740.    The letter was signed by Margaret Campbell, Co-Founder and CEO.  Telephone:  1-866-779-0449 or easyenergyma.com.

It states that a small business using 3000 kWh/month would save between $40. and $50 on a single electric bill.  Comparisons to:  Cape Light Compact - 9.260 (c/kWh-small business rate), NStar - 9.389 and Easy Energy 7.800.

Sometimes if it sounds too good to be true it is, but this might help some small businesses with their electric bills.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com