#1 2010-05-19 06:44:46

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF CARA ASKED ANDREWS ABOUT HER LIEING TO HIM LAST WEEK.

#2 2010-05-19 08:13:32

IHL: I did not hear her ask him, in fact, I noticed there was some obvious tension between them. Her husband told my husband that he has still not answered her about the issue of the girl from Onset Pier not being re-hired. I think Andrews has burned his bridge with her.

Sandy Slavin came before them at citizens participation and asked some specific questions regarding the sewer. Jane said the consultant would answer the questions when they got to the consultant.

Jane hadn't written down the questions but Andrews said he had and Cara had also. When it came time to answer the question Andrews didn't ask the consultant the questions, he just answered them by saying why it couldn't happen. Cara did ask the consultant the questions and the board directed Andrews to get a legal opinion.

I hope the Slavin's saw what happened there. I also hope they noticed who had their back.

#3 2010-05-19 09:50:37

Selectman Winslow was very pointed about the fact that Town Administrator Andrews did not properly answer the question posed by Mrs. Slavin as required.  This is another example of the great job Selectman Winslow is doing on the Board.

I also noticed that Selectman Cruz voted against Selectman Eckstrom's appointment to some ad hoc school committee.  It was the obvious thing to do since there is so much animosity between Selectman Eckstrom and the School Board. 
What were Holmes and Winslow thinking?  Thank you Selectman Cruz for your no vote.  The only thing I can think of is that Selectman Winslow, Selectman Cruz, and Selectman Holmes want nothing to do with the ad hoc committee; very appropriate, in my opinion, because it is strictly a School Board issue.  Not only did Selectman Donahue add another member from the BOS to the ad hoc committee, she made herself co-chair.  My reaction, if I were the School Committee, would be to uninvite any involvment by the BOS.

#4 2010-05-19 11:30:05

Mr. Onset:
I do believe and perhaps P-Span can post the video that Winslow recused herself for some reason I could not hear her clearly. She was also strangely absent for a good portion of the beginning of the conversation. I imagine that Mr. Holmes was as confused by all the rhetoric as I was watching from home.
Eckstrom does not belong on any committee that deals with the schools.

#5 2010-05-19 12:15:53

Selectman Winslow recused herself when they were talking about a committee that was looking into bus issues.  As of last night, I believe Selectman Eckstrom is now on both the emergency response committee and another committee dealing with buses.  Both relate to the school system but are ad hoc in nature.  That apparently lets them get around the open meeting law and technically around the issue of keeping the BOS and School Committee separate.

This is all just from viewing the broadcast with some interruptions during the process.  I like your idea of looking at the video again.  It was near then end... perhaps the last half hour that things got interesting.

#6 2010-05-19 14:51:20

The 2011 re-election campaigns of  Jane Donahue and Brenda Eckstrom got into full swing last night.

It's pretty obvious that The School Committee was headed toward an assured up-grading of busses without any input from them, but just watch....From now until April 5, 2011 each of them will be pulling the other's hair out to be the one to claim bragging rights to the campaign slogan, "I'm the one who made the school busses safe for your kids."

It will make great Tuesday Night TV watching....and as  my favorite philosopher Yogi Berra said, "You can observe a lot by just watchin'."

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2010-05-19 14:52:52)

#7 2010-05-19 15:51:56

Mr. Wheeler is quite correct about the kick-off of the campaigns for next April. All the more reason why this website needs to remain focused on the prize. yes, there has been some success so far, and very important that is; but the job is not done. When your physician writes an Rx for 10 days for an infection, you are admonished to COMPLETE the course of therapy, even if you feel better after 5-6 days. That is so the resistant bugs do not come back and make the infection worse. Same deal here. Stay the course, complete the program, vote 'em out.

#8 2010-05-19 15:58:04

While I am not a fan of privitization in general, one has to wonder if it might be better for the Town to outsource the school bus thing to a private company. Has there been any debate along those lines? many other Towns use private companies for this function.

Growing up in the Bridgewaters, I can recall the Libby company running the school bus. Later, closer in to Boston, it was Sansone.

Any thoughts here?

#9 2010-05-19 18:03:08

This has been looked at by the School Board several times in the past and some of the details were explained at a previous town meeting.  The not so surprising conclusion drawn was that it will cost more to outsource the buses.

#10 2010-05-19 19:03:09

notalawyer wrote:

Growing up in the Bridgewaters, I can recall the Libby company running the school bus. Later, closer in to Boston, it was Sansone.

Any thoughts here?

If over the counter cold meds weren't making me entirely goofy, I'd never point out the Bridgewaters suffer the most unfortunate place name ever.

Show of hands. Every time you hear it, you think Bilgewater, am I right? Yeah, I'm back to bed.

#11 2010-05-19 19:16:09

Here is an article about bus privitization that explains some of the complexities involved:

http://www.afscme.org/publications/7354.cfm

#12 2010-05-19 19:55:27

Hey BillW,

My late father ALWAYS pronounced the Town's name as BILGEWATER.  Of course, the three towns with that name (remember, North Bridgewater changed to Brockton) are virtually one big wetland.

Careful, now, with that pseudoephedrine ( sudafed). It works, but oh boy, it can space one out, as well as dry one out. Remember, it is a precursor to methamphetamine. Enuf said.

Last edited by notalawyer (2010-05-19 19:56:21)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com