#1 2010-05-15 04:05:53

So I'm up feeding a kid, and I figure I'll check out what's going on in this beautiful town.  Before I know it, I'm reading a comically bad article over on the other site which strongly implies that Larry is involved in some type of scheme to extort money out of all of his email friends.  Now, as you all know, I know a thing or two about computers, and computer security.  As soon as I read the "scheme" email, I knew it was a scam, almost 99% certain to be of overseas origin.  To confirm this, I did a quick google search for the phrase "I’m writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Wales,United kingdom for a short vacation" (the opening line of the email).  I figure if it's a common scam, there would be a bunch of hits for it, right?  Guess how many hits google had in its database?  100?  1000?  100,000?  1,000,000?  Try 3.3 million (Source Here).  Some of them had different full messages, but the story was all the same.  Email account got hacked, hacker sent the message out. 

This is very, very common on facebook as well - it's an attack designed to take advantage of the trust between parties that have things in common (facebook friends, in an address book, etc...), so be careful if you ever get something like this, even if you know and trust the person whose address it came from.

So, in the end, this is an absolute non-story, except for the fact that Larry, you should change all of your passwords and get some better antivirus software :)  I have no idea why Slager thinks you should report this to the local police, but there's basically no way you're ever going to figure out who did this, unfortunately.  Local police really can't help, and organizations that can won't care about something at this scale.  Slager could have come to this same conclusion if he had taken 5 seconds to do some research, but then he wouldn't be able to write a ridiculous article bashing someone that he doesn't like on his hate site.  We all know he's not one to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Cas, out.

#2 2010-05-15 07:37:58

Larry, sue his ass, and I hope Chief Stanley puts him in his place. By the way Slager, you idiot, I thought you told everyone you didn't know their identities when they signed up but you gave all kinds of info about Larry from his paypal account.
Liar liar pants on fire. Go ahead and change it now that you have been caught in another lie.

#3 2010-05-15 07:52:35

You would think that Larry could sue Bobo for divulging all that personal information. I’m sure pay pal would be interested to know what Bobo has shared about Larry.

#4 2010-05-15 07:59:55

The troll has been lost in LaLa land a long time. Ignore him. He will finally go away. Soon.
He is nothing, controls nothing, has no influence and is considered a clown by most people.
I hope the troll finds the part time Chief capable of spending some of his valuable time looking into it.
It looks like Wareham needs a good enema. Rid the Town of malcontents, incompetents, hangers on, mooches and assholes.
Lot of work ahead to accomplish all of that!
Larry..ignore the numb nuts.

#5 2010-05-15 08:56:54

i cannot believe that slager fell for one of the oldest email phising scams out there. too late to change your original story bobo i have it on disk. email accounts are hacked and these scams are sent out on legitimate emails and therefore virtually untraceable. you lied when you said you could not see personal information when someone signed up. thats why i would never sign up for your nut chat. never give slager personal information and this is a clear example of why you should never even look at his site. i guess this is why your a reporter and not a cop. your an idiot. your an investigative reporter???? ha ha ha. i hope larry sues your ass you clown

#6 2010-05-15 09:04:08

I thought everyone on the planet knew that was the latest "Nigerian strongman" style internet scam.

#7 2010-05-15 09:31:22

Slager's and asshole and a moron.   He clearly lives in a little glass box to not know what happens in the real world around him.

#8 2010-05-15 10:12:24

Begging for money from the Wareham Ragserver?  Oh well come on now, that is 100 percent proof of Larry's innocence.  Everyone from Wareham knows that the President, Publisher, Editor, and Caterer of Ragserver Multi-Mega Media has run his company into the ground with his stupidity and the best you could get out of him is a few empty cream cheese containers, so no one from Wareham would even bother.

#9 2010-05-15 15:33:01

HEY BOBO YOU HAVE WON THE SIBERIAN LOTTERY IN THE AMOUNT OF 15 MILLION DOLLARS. IN ORDER FOR ME TO SEND IT TO YOU PLEASE PAY 1500 DOLLARS TO COVER ATTORNEY FEES AND MAILING OF THE CHECK OF 15 MILLION. PLEASE SEND IT TO IHATESLAGER. AND AGAIN CONGRATULATIONS.

NOTE SLAGER THIS IS A SCAM DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT SEND ME ANY MONEY. YOU DID NOT WIN THE SIBERIAN LOTTERY, ITS A JOKE.

GOD YOUR A FOOL

#10 2010-05-15 16:21:34

"Larry McDonald did not report an unauthorized intrusion into his computer to local police, according to police records."

FBI amd Interpol have jurisdiction, not Chief Stanley - and what's he gonna do anyway?  Send one of the new SuperCruisers over to Nigeria or Sulawesi to pick up the perps?  He'd get better results hiring Ghostbusters, Inc.  My AOL email account got hacked once years ago and sent out a bunch of spam to a gazillion people, and I didn't inform the Wareham PD - or any PD - of my hackitude.  That's AOL's job.

"He did not send out an e-mail to everyone in his address book informing them that the original e-mail was not sent by him."

Probably because AOL has disabled his email account until their investigation is closed, and he can't access his address book.  It took them a few days before they called to tell me my email account was cleared to use and to re-set my password.

This is not even a story worthy of being reported, Mr. Slager.   You should remove it post-haste, as Mr. McDonald clearly has not engaged in any type of wrongdoing here but is rather equally a victim of the hackers.  The story backhandedly implies that Mr. McDonald lacks integrity without any factual basis, and continuing to keep it up on your website is disingenuous at best.  Do the right thing and remove it.

Last edited by Petethemeat (2010-05-15 16:25:37)

#11 2010-05-15 17:11:50

to back up PetetheMeat,

Years ago, my AOL account was hacked and spam sent out under my name. The first indication was some angry (rightfully so) e-mails to me, complaining about receiving the crap. Then, AOL sent a nasty e-mail, effectively blaming me for what others had done. This triggered a series of e-mails, but they never shut me down. they never backed off their threat to shut me down, but it never happened.

So. If Larry M, went thru the same thing that I went thru, How was he to know that it was even happening? I sure didn't. The major pain in the ass will be on Larry M. to deal with the aftermath, as we clearly see here.

As for the BoBo, what do you expect? Anytime, anywhere, he will twist any fact into something it is not. All the more reason to delete him. I have been BoBo-free since last August 1, with a few necessary exceptions; it is the wave of the future. Flush him, and be done with it. The outgoing tide will take his crapadola to its appropriate resting place. Food for the bottom-feeders.

#12 2010-05-15 18:53:54

/slager is one ass hole and a liar

#13 2010-05-15 19:23:25

What a stupid article!  I cant believe he even waisted such a beautiful day to write something as bad as that or waist the police departments time with such a complaint.  Oh no a computer got hacked!  Guess what, it happens ALOT!
Bobo is running out of ammo, just keep ignoring him its working better than we all think.

#15 2010-05-16 08:21:25

Real Paper vs. Fake Paper

Cover Story of Wareham Week - Wareham troops leave for Iraq, with photos of the troops saluting.

Cover Story of The Bobo Gazette - I got a suspicious e-mail!!!

#16 2010-05-16 08:27:23

Wait until he gets the one from the American Ambassador's son in Nigeria.
He doesn't have to worry though...it requires money to get screwed with that one.
Has he paid his printer yet?

#17 2010-05-16 08:27:56

It's funny that even the wacky tin hats are now pleading with Bobo to shape up.  Too late, tin hats.  Wareham is awake and is smelling the coffee.  Any politician that has ever supported the hate rag will not be in office next year.

#18 2010-05-16 08:31:06

danoconnell wrote:

Wait until he gets the one from the American Ambassador's son in Nigeria.
He doesn't have to worry though...it requires money to get screwed with that one.
Has he paid his printer yet?

"Dear Bobo the Dumbass,

Congratulations!  You are the direct descendant of the King of Nigeria!  He wants to transfer all of his wealth to you, but needs a wealth transferral fee!  Please send 75 percent of your bagels and 50 tubs of cream cheese to 101 Yourabigdumbass Lane, East Whatafatdoofusville."

Just kidding Bobo, don't send your bagels and cheese.

#19 2010-05-16 08:36:32

this fat bastard likes to make  uo the news and lies about everybody , brenda and jane are his fan club, he is a total ass    hole.

#20 2010-05-16 09:40:28

As if the fine men and women of the WPD have NOTHING better to do then deal with this insanity. Seriously Bobo? Get a grip.

You have said on a number of occassions that you do not divulge personal information. Guess what? You lied. Note to the TFHC, if you piss Bobo off he knows who you are!

Chief Stanley works TWO DAYS A WEEK! We have serious crime in Wareham, out dated technology, and a shortage of officers on the street. NO ONE HAS TIME FOR THIS BULLSHIT, SO STOP WASTING OUR TAX DOLLARS ON YOUR NON-SENSE.

Last edited by iliveinazoo (2010-05-16 09:41:42)

#21 2010-05-16 10:36:20

I did find it interesting that acasualobserver of the hate site claimed that 3.3 million hits came up when he searched for the first sentence. He did not uses quotes around the sentence, which means every file with any of those words would appear under the list. Put quotes around the first 15 words and the number of hits is 8.

THIS IS BOBO'S RESPONSE. SOUNDS LIKE A 3 YEAR OLD TRYING TO JUSTIFY WHAT HE DID

#22 2010-05-16 10:38:23

EVEN THE TFHC SEES WHAT SLAGER HAS DONE IS WRONG:

By: Anne on 5/15/10
This is a well known scam and has happened to many people!

By: TesnoBay on 5/15/10
Just a question Robert, why did you feel it necessary to divulge his/her subscription to your site? I thought all that info was private?

By: TesnoBay on 5/15/10
I really feel very uncomfortable about this. You did not have to publish this info, you could have just given it to the police, with the information you had. People have anonymous email address' for lots of reasons, not all of them are for nefarious purposes.

I am sure that everyone get's spam, I get regular emails from the Prince of Nigeria. If you felt this was a scam, it belongs with the police.

It is no one's business if someone uses paypal or not.

As far as being signed Larry, anyone can embed a signature on outgoing email. Also, Paypal would use whatever the name is on the credit card, not any AKA someone may have.

I don't have any idea who Liz or Larry MacDonald are, but I got a shiver when I saw the details that were given out in this story.

#23 2010-05-16 10:42:07

Congratulation !!! You've won (£500,000.00) on the Microsoft Awards 2010,Send
info:Names,address,Age,mobile number,Country.Contact the agent 
Mr. Phill Nelson Email:phillnelson@w.cn, via email immediately within 24hrs.

Sincerely,
Dr.Gary Stover
Head Customercare Service

BOBO I GOT THIS EMAIL THIS AM. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW ITS A SCAM.

#24 2010-05-16 11:30:28

Gee TesnoBay, I hope your email account doesn't get hijacked, or Slager will be releasing YOUR personal information!

#25 2010-05-16 12:00:42

What a load of crap! Since when is this news? If I was Larry, I would contact a lawyer immediately! I just read it and there are serious problems here. If I was a member of that website, I would be cancelling my subscription. If you piss off the the drama king you will find your personal information plastered all over his website. After a conversation with an attorney friend this morning, Larry and Liz have a case. He is accusing Larry of trying to embezzle money just like he did with the library trustees.

I heard through the grapevine that Larry had applied to the fincom and this may be an attempt to create an issue to derail his appointment. Lets hope the  the fincom and bos see through it and make the right decision. Private citizens should not be subjected to this type of abuse. I never met Larry but I have seen him. I would not want to make him angry.

#26 2010-05-16 12:03:15

I hope no one used the same username and password at The Wareham Observer site that they use for other accounts they have (e-mail, bank, stores).

Clearly Slager has no problem divulging them.  And now you know he has access to all of them.

If he ever goes off the edge, he can hack you all!  Or if he's hacked (since he has limited knowlege of computer security et al) someone else will have your info.

He must be saving the information locally (on his computer) instead of through a secure server (httpS://).

#27 2010-05-16 13:16:35

It is disturbing that he shared a subscriber's information.  For all the crap he has given his competitors, the Standard Times, the Courier, and Wareham Week have never publicly shared private information submitted by a subscriber. 

It looks like the Tin Hats are trying desperately to get their out of town spokesman to shape up, but its too late.  He blew it for them big time April 6, 2010 and will blow it for them again in April 2011.  When will the tin hats realize this clown is just weighing them down?

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com