#1 2010-05-08 22:17:03

I find these two sections of the charter proposal troubling (the part I put in bold at the end of m and n):

(m) Upon taking office, the first mayor shall develop a reorganization plan and begin reorganization within the first 180 days and complete the plan within 2 years according to the provisions in section 3-2 of this charter, except for the requirement to produce a proposed ordinance which sets out, in detail, the amendments, insertions, revisions, repeals or otherwise of existing ordinances. The committee established by the mayor under section 10-7 (l) will identify recommended changes in accordance with content and schedule for the implementation of the organizational plan by the mayor. Individual provisions of this first plan may be implemented by the mayor immediately upon approval by the town council as the amendments, insertions, revisions, repeals or otherwise of existing ordinances are enacted that may be necessary to accomplish the desired reorganization. The mayor is not required to continue any existing boards, committees, or departments unless required by law.

(n) Unless continued by an ordinance adopted in conformity with this charter, all multiple-member bodies shall be abolished as of June 30, in the first year of the first mayor, unless that time is further extended by the mayor and council under the authority contained in this charter.

I don't know.  You all tell me what your interpretation of this is.  My reading/understanding is that all town committees we have now are thrown in the trash.

M says "The Mayor is not required to continue any existing boards, committees, or departments unless required by law."

Then N says "all multiple member bodies shall be abolished as of June 30, in the first year of the mayor, unless that time is further extended by the mayor and council..."

Poorly written, if you ask me.  Seems to be a disagreement, The Mayor isn't required to continue any boards, committees, or departments vs multiple member bodies are abolished as of June 30 in the first year, unless further time given by the mayor and council.

So who's making the decision?  They Mayor or the Mayor and council?

And the Mayor has the sole authority to decide what town DEPARTMENTS the town has?  All the committees, boards, departments we have now could possibly be trashed?

This is just WAY TOO MUCH POWER CONCENTRATED INTO TOO FEW HANDS!!!

My opinion/reading of it.  You all read it and tell me if I'm wrong.

#2 2010-05-09 01:07:33

I agree with you.  Mixed messages but the same end result?  I still want a vote on what goes on in town.  Don't want big decisions made by a select few,  I like raising my card at town meeting.

#3 2010-05-09 10:37:00

I hope everyone is working to turn the vote out tommorrow night.  Every vote is going to count.  Word has it that the Bagel Biting Barracuda Boy has been lobbying residents to vote to abolish town meeting.  I hope this issue will be decided by Wareham residents, not an out of towner.

Funny how he was against the Mayor plan for a year, then the election didn't go his way, so now he's one of this plan's most militant supporters.  When the grapes are sour, the whine is loud.

This should be decided by Wareham residents.  Not out of town residents.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-05-09 10:37:40)

#4 2010-05-09 12:03:04

Hamatron5000 wrote:

I hope everyone is working to turn the vote out tommorrow night.  Every vote is going to count.  Word has it that the Bagel Biting Barracuda Boy has been lobbying residents to vote to abolish town meeting.

he and mick jones are "FRIENDING" ppl on facebook and sendind out invites!!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com