#1 2010-04-18 18:52:03

Found this little ad on the Massachusetts Municipal association (MMA) website. Note the hours. Verrrrrry interesting.....

Local Building Inspector, Town of Wareham

Local Building Inspector
Town of Wareham
28 hours/week. The Town of Wareham has an opening for a Building Inspector to perform technical and inspection work and to have thorough knowledge related to enforcement, interpretation, and compliance with the Mass. State Building Code, local zoning ordinance, and other applicable regulations and all other related work as required. Investigate/act on alleged violations, issue notices & orders to rectify illegal or unsafe conditions and follow-up. Receive & review plans for building construction or alterations to determine compliance & keep records of all inspections and approved plans. High school grad with five years experience in supervision of building construction or design or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Mass. Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License, ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and plans, and prepare necessary diagrams. Salary commensurate with experience. Submit letter and resume by 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 6, to: Town Administrator, Memorial Town Hall, 54 Marion Road, Wareham, MA 02571. AA/EEO. (posted 4/13, exp. 5/7)

#2 2010-04-19 13:23:21

Interesting...we're hiring again without requiring the proper licensing?  UGH!

#3 2010-04-19 17:28:05

The ad does say "Local Building Inspector," which is the title for the lower grade of the two state certifications for building inspectors.

I'd hate to think we need a part-time Local Building Inspector because the new Director of Inspectional Services isn't state-certified and is thus office-bound, but, given that previously we didn't need three people to both inspect buildings and run the department, I don't know what other conclusion can be reached.

#4 2010-04-19 22:06:32

Interesting. In nearly any other town/city, inspectors are required to be certified. I just Googled "building inspecter certification" and found the website www.iccsafe.org which develops building and construction codes which are adopted by nearly every state in the country. They have a section on the site for certifications listing: building inspector, building plans reviewer, plumbing inspector, fire inspector, electrical inspector and a bunch of other stuff (building official).

Why would a town not require this as a basic minimum? The only reason I can think of is the 'continued small town, I'm the mayor and my brother-in-law used to build houses before and that should qualify him to be a building inspector' attitude. Come on people, wake up. Maybe someone can explain to me what "prepare necessary diagrams" means in the posting too because it's my understanding that building code officials review plans and construction for compliance. If it doesn't meet the requirements, they issue a correction notice identifying the section that they are in violation of. So if someones plans don't accurately depict a foundation detail, then you reject the plans for being incomplete and require the applicant to resubmit with correct plans. Is someone implying that the building official will be making diagrams showing what's wrong with the submittals so the applicants don't have to fix it or is this a way of describing the person needs to make basic sketches of say a property and depicting what someone may have added on to without permits?

Also, why a requirement for a MA license instead of an ability to obtain within 6 months? At least increase your applicant pool to a greater geographic area. That is of course unless they have someone in mind already and the requirements need to be kept very basic.......

#5 2010-04-19 23:01:00

Could be that the diagram preparation tasks are related to prosecuting building code or zoning violations, or possibly drawing up diagrams of minor "as-built" project alterations discovered during final inspection.   

I can't really think of anything else that skill would be required for, and your explanation of the permit application submittal and revision process - and who is responsible to draft changes - is certainly an accurate summary of the process.

#6 2010-04-19 23:18:55

I love this site because of the people like Pete and vocal who have the expertise and knowledge to educate all of us. You two are sorely needed on certain commissions and boards.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com