#1 2010-04-14 09:51:23

Wareham welcomes new selectmen to first meeting
By Steve Decosta
sdecosta@s-t.com
April 14, 2010 12:00 AM

WAREHAM — The town was introduced to its two new selectmen Tuesday night, but that introduction was abbreviated for one ailing board member.

Sniffling and sneezing through the early part of the meeting, Cara Winslow was battling laryngitis and could barely be heard, even through an amplifying sound system. She left the meeting just before the public portion ended, missing her first executive session.

Winslow and Stephen Holmes, the top vote-getter in last week's town election, were welcomed to their first meeting by the applause of an overflow crowd. The new selectmen defeated incumbents Bruce Sauvageau and John Cronan.

All the nameplates in front of the board members had been flipped because, senior board member Brenda Eckstrom said, nameplates for the new selectmen hadn't arrived yet. Holmes produced one of his own from his briefcase.

The board's first order of business was reorganizing, electing Jane Donahue chairwoman and Walter Cruz clerk.

Cronan attended the meeting and had some advice for board members new and old. He suggested that reporters for the four newspapers that regularly cover the proceedings ask questions directly of the board in front of the television cameras.

"Let them sit here and ask questions so that everyone can hear," he said. "Every once in a while you'll hear something that doesn't hit the nail on the head." Public questions and answers would prevent reporters from "twisting things around, paraphrasing, what have you," he said.

The only matter of disagreement among board members was on an entertainment license for Piper Beau's restaurant, producing two 3-2 votes, something that has been unusual in recent board history.

A big reason for the large crowd was a strong contingent of police officers lobbying for interim Police Chief Richard Stanley to be given the job full time. Last week Town Administrator Mark Andrews announced that he had reached an agreement in principle to make Stanley, currently full-time chief in North Andover, the full-time Wareham chief and that negotiations would commence.

New Police Union president Stephen Kearney read a statement of support for Stanley, saying that a vote of confidence at a meeting Tuesday morning was unanimous.

The union, which voted no confidence in selectmen last year, "recognize(s) that we now have a better place to work and a better relationship with the selectmen, town administrator and the town of Wareham," Kearney said.

Before Stanley arrived less than eight months ago, the department was "a rudderless ship, operating in spite of having no leadership. "¦ He immediately changed the direction (of) the department by steering it back on course."

#2 2010-04-14 11:29:29

old timer wrote:

Cronan attended the meeting and had some advice for board members new and old. He suggested that reporters for the four newspapers that regularly cover the proceedings ask questions directly of the board in front of the television cameras.

TV cameras?  You mean those long shots the last Selectmen demanded - and WCTV meekly acquiesced - the better to hide obscene hand gestures and we're-robbing-you-blind smirks?

Go away, Dirt Thief. And the horse you rode in on.

old timer wrote:

A big reason for the large crowd was a strong contingent of police officers lobbying for interim Police Chief Richard Stanley to be given the job full time.

Anyone else notice how many of those same cops hid from my camera? Sadly, I think you're right, old timer. Nothing changes.

#3 2010-04-14 12:33:05

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

My understanding of the unanimous vote was that only half the officers attended the meeting where the vote was taken and at least one officer abstained from the vote. I don't think that qualifies as unanimous.

#4 2010-04-14 12:41:12

I thought the meeting was interesting. Cara could hardly talk, left early and is going to Disney World...Steve asked some good questions (IMO), and they both seemed to be getting their "sea legs".. I know Jane was "next in line" for Chair (but didn't like her saying so)..but (IMO) Her (and Cruz) "ran" the meeting pretty well (or at least "business as usual")...The big difference was NO Bruce..kinda like the vacation he (and all of us) had when he went to Mexico..only this one will last even longer than his month and a half excursion South of the Border. Cronan "said his piece"..and promised to "be around" (ah, geez). I think there's going to be a "settling in period"..but it's good to see two new faces up there...of "folks" I know to be intelligent, considerate..and perfectly able to "speak their minds"..and I don't expect them to "hide" their "doing's"..like I always did with the previous makeup of the board. At first I wasn't thinking Jane as Chair HAD to be what would happen..but she (at least for now) seems like the best (or only) choice..same with Cruz (as clerk)..he did speak up alot more last night..and "I liked what I saw"..bottom line (for me)..this week was better than last week..

As far as Stanley. My guess is some ("policemen") support him, some don't..I feel (regardless) there should have been a civil service exam "called for" awhile ago... Also, (I think) he's been "too political"..I'm not "totally comfortable" with his "hiring process" (or any of them)..and (if true) the "racist comment", and a naked girl being "paraded around" during a drug bust..is pretty troubling, as is his being named in a wrongful death lawsuit in N. Andover...or that it looks like they may be planning to eliminate two dept heads (EMS, Harbormaster) and have him "in charge" of all of it (is that something "we" want?)..it's also looking like he's going to be PAID (need a financial advisor, buddy?)..he certainly looks to have a comfortable retirement coming sometime in the not so distant future. We better hope he's worth it.

From the outside looking in, the changes to the Wareham Police have seemed positive..Drug busts always make for "good pub"..and shiny new cruiser's and K-9 units, certifications, etc..all seem good. It makes me wonder why the board has (seemingly) SO completely changed the way they work with the Police..was it just that they needed to get someone they chose into the position? Whether everyone "loves" him or not..I think it's going to come down to whether N. Andover "let's him go"..and (if) he gets a lateral transfer for civil service. Is there a "time limit" on how long "we" can run without a FT Chief, who is civil service (as required)?

One thing about Brenda in the meeting I noticed..she threw a bunch of "youz" at us..as in "Hey, youz guys..how youz doin'?"..let's count em up..another drinking game? ; )

TBW
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-14 18:13:28)

#5 2010-04-14 13:11:03

TBL

I don't understand why Piper Beau's was given such a hard time about the entertainment license. They run a classy operation there. Eckstrom was being very unreasonable.  It is a positive addition to the downtown area. Does Eckstrom and Donahue prefer to see vacant buildings and storefronts? A successful business in that area will bring people in and help stimulate other business. Good thing there are two new Selectmen and Cruz seems like he is finally hitting his stride. Maybe now some positive things can get done in town.

#6 2010-04-14 13:17:24

TBL wrote:

I don't understand why Piper Beau's was given such a hard time about the entertainment license. They run a classy operation there. Eckstrom was being very unreasonable.  It is a positive addition to the downtown area.

I agree..but..how did those votes go? (3-2)..in favor of a pretty good compromise (IMO)..Piper Beau's ended up getting close to the "maximum" that they were requesting (1 pm - 1 am - all week)..

TBW
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-14 13:19:06)

#7 2010-04-14 15:10:11

Welcome Frisco thank you for the information about the real number of police that voted for Stanley.

#8 2010-04-14 15:43:33

If you watch the video of the police officer, you will hear a (almost slip of the tongue) comment: unanimous, by those present.  So, it was probably at morning roll call.  No matter - I just find it funny that Steve Kearney was voted as president of the police union.  When he came back on the force a few years ago (?) after a law suit or some such thing - only a few of his brother officers would speak to him for a long, long time.   He's a nice guy. 

His comment that  "eight months ago the WPD was a rudderless ship, operating in spite of leadership" got to me.  You had Lt. Wallace who the selectmen put in as Acting Chief for 15 days and then they gave him another 30 days, but brought in Stanley a few days later.  The actions of the selectmen with their audit, among other things, caused Joyce to retire and they were the cause of the floundering in the WPD.  Nobody knew what to do.  Acting Chief for 15 days? Absurd!  It took them under 20 days to find and make an agreement with Andrews.   Mark my word - Andrews will cost us a bundle in lawsuits, salary and retirement.  We are broke.  No more!!!

#9 2010-04-14 15:50:04

Piper Beau's has been mentioned on face book as a great place to eat, drink and socialize.    The people who have posted about Piper Beau's are/were foes of the BOS, TA and a few others.   They were labeled as the hate group "Take Back Wareham" bloggers.  How ridiculous to attack someone's business like that.   Brenda and Jane should play nice.

#10 2010-04-14 17:39:58

Brenda play nice??..that alley-cat doesn't know the meaning of the word!!..

#11 2010-04-14 17:54:00

Cat's sometimes get caught in dumpsters and are hauled away to SEMASS or the dump!

#12 2010-04-16 19:09:44

Is that the same Kearney who sued the Town and won only 6-7 hundred dollars? But if Google serves me he had attorney fees of tens of thousands?
Piper Beau's is a great place. I think they received a good compromise. I doubt I would go to karokee or steel drum bands. I did like the idea of a three piece instrumental thing.

#13 2010-04-16 21:05:33

iliveinazoo wrote:

Is that the same Kearney who sued the Town and won only 6-7 hundred dollars? But if Google serves me he had attorney fees of tens of thousands?
Piper Beau's is a great place. I think they received a good compromise. I doubt I would go to karokee or steel drum bands. I did like the idea of a three piece instrumental thing.

YES.... the same officer kearney.

#14 2010-04-16 21:37:29

I know that officer Kearney and another officer (left for different career) were the officers with police dogs.  An agreement they had with the WPD was broken by Joyce, in regard to caring for the dogs, vet bills, etc..  Both of these officers won their cases.  I think Kearney had another suit in regard to the golf clubs.  Not 100% sure on the last one.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com