#1 2010-04-06 11:06:37

I have spoken to numerous people that have voted NO on question 1.  When it was explained to them they all agreed that the Charter Review Committee has pulled a fast one on people with wording.  They voted No because they thought it was pertaining to the current BOS. 

If you know anyone going to the polls today make sure they understand Question #1!!!!!

#2 2010-04-06 12:50:46

I agree pride, severa of my neighbors voted no because they can't stand the current "leaders", when I explained it to them they were horrified but fear not, all those people that just got duped have another bite at the apple at Town Meeting (and I suspect the place will be packed with real angry voters who don't like having their intelligence insulted!)

#3 2010-04-06 12:52:19

Yes...interesting how the question was non-binding.

#4 2010-04-06 13:00:12

danoconnell wrote:

Yes...interesting how the question was non-binding.

I'm guessing only the legislative branch (Town Meeting) has authority under the charter to reform or amend the charter.

#5 2010-04-06 13:22:36

That is absolutley correct. The wording of the question was confusing, but the result of the vote will be carried on Town Meeting Floor as a mandate from the electorate to change the form of government....they think.
People are not stupid, and hard to dupe too many times!!!

#6 2010-04-06 13:54:14

Yes.  And remember too that, unlike non-binding questions, warrant articles are required under law to NOT be worded in a confusing manner and are subject to outside review and challenge if necessary.

That said, regardless of the outcome of today's non-binding question, there is plenty of time between now and fall Town Meeting to make sure voters are informed about the advantages/disadvantages of a switch to a mayoral/city council form of government.

#7 2010-04-06 14:03:00

This is coming up at the SPRING town meeting in a few weeks.

#8 2010-04-06 14:07:51

It's already on the spring warrant in binding form?  Wow, didn't know that.  Unbelievable that the current power brokers would contemplate ramming through a change of this magnitude without sufficient time for debate.

#9 2010-04-06 14:10:27

I think in addition to passing at TM, the CRC needs to show the "town" is supportive of it (beyond TM) if/when it went to the state legislature..and this being voted in favor could be an attempt to show that. I seem to remember reading something about it along the way..maybe in the "special acts" material. Either way, it is confusing (and it's meant to be)..I would suggest people don't read the first part of it at all, and just read the part that says "Is the current form of government working in the best interest of the town?" The first part makes you think of these BOZO's..so your ready to hop and say "Hell NO!! It ain't working!!" Sneaky weasles..anyone surprised?

Remember..straight from the "mouth" of a CRC member..this question was brought to the CRC by the BoS..but the BoS (Sweet Brucey) made a point to say it was brought to them by the CRC..in other words..he lied (shock!)
Vote Da Bums Out!!!

VOTE4CHANGE
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-06 14:13:14)

#10 2010-04-06 14:22:54

P-SPAN wrote:

the CRC needs to show the "town" is supportive of it (beyond TM) if/when it went to the state legislature.

If it gets that far, then the obvious thing to do would be to get Susan Gifford-Williams to oppose it, on the theory that legislators tend not to go against their fellows on strictly internal district matters.

But let's work to kill it before it gets that far.  In years past I have viewed the both weak yet unaccountable BOS/Town Admin executive system and the ponderous Town Meeting legislative process as cumbersome and slow to respond to issues as they appear, but at this time there is no way we can chance one of the incumbents being handed four years at the top of the pyramid.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com