#1 2010-04-03 23:05:56

I regularly see photo credits on pictures in the media; something like (Photo by: Gaul Dooter).

I happened to be looking for pictures of the fire in Onset (maily because I slept through it) and stumbled on a Cape Cod firefighter website. There are some amazing pictures of that fire at www.capecodfd.com. What's more interesting is if you go to Page 2 of the Onset fire pictures on that site and scroll down, there is a picture of a firefighter's left profile, on what appears to be the top of a fire truck looking down. I'm assuming Mr. Britton Crosby took all of those pictures as it's his website and is copyrighted.

If you look at The Wareham Observer's website, there is a very similar image to the larger one found on page 2 of the Onset fire photographs at www.capecodfd.com; but it just seems as though it's been cropped and has a lower resolution.

Can someone else take a look and let me know if my eyes are bad or whether those appear to be the very same images? I didn't see any photo credits to Mr. Crosby but wow...they look amazingly similar.

#2 2010-04-03 23:35:37

vocallocal wrote:

If you look at The Wareham Observer's website, there is a very similar image to the larger one found on page 2 of the Onset fire photographs at www.capecodfd.com; but it just seems as though it's been cropped and has a lower resolution.

Robert Slager steals anything not nailed down and calls it his own. Here are the two images in question, the first one from his site.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/thumb_805.jpg

http://www.capecodfd.com/Pics%20Inciden … 00616A.JPG

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#3 2010-04-03 23:53:00

In the event some enterprising lawyer wants a sure thing copyright infringement award, I've helpfully cached the offending page here:

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/cache … ethief.htm

And I do mean offending.

A static screen cap is here:

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/4 … 8-58PM.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#4 2010-04-03 23:53:23

Vocallocal, thank you for pointing out such a wonderful web site!!!   After seeing the magnitude of this fire and knowone was hurt or killed is amazing, I had no idea that this fire was that big.   From what people have said, Chief Andersen and all of the firefighters involved did a wonderful job.  I do believe you are correct, that the picture was copied.  Would you expect anything less?   

This is what is posted on the bottom of the page,

"Copyright Britton W Crosby
CapeCodFD.com 2000-2010
All Rights Reserved"

#5 2010-04-04 02:42:07

wareham pride wrote:

Would you expect anything less?

Nope..

VOTE4CHANGE
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-04 02:42:47)

#6 2010-04-04 04:25:34

I have been wondering about where he got that photo myself.  You might remember that for a day or so, he had no fire coverage until this Ham pointed it out.  Then he had no photo until this Ham quipped that every other paper had a photo of an enormous fire as their main photo, while Bobo's paper's main photo was a photo of Bobo...then he suddenly slaps this fire photo up.  I wondered where a guy who waited a whole day after the fire to cover the fire got a photo of the fire from.  Looks like you all found out where.

#7 2010-04-04 05:14:49

Oh, now look...

Bobo The Brainless wrote:

By Britton Murphy. Published by permission.

What you care to bet that's bullshit?

#8 2010-04-04 07:15:30

Talk about ethics in journalism?? And this is the guy who whines if someone legally uses some of his crap (through fair use) for comment or informational purposes.

But remember: IT'S A TABLOID and not a newspaper. That's why tabloids don't attribute those photos of the aliens on the front covers!!!!!

You NEVER have to tell a real journalist to attribute a photo or another journalist's writing (remember the Paul Shooter saga began when the tabloid writer kept writing stories about himself in the third person!! Ha ha!).

#9 2010-04-04 08:27:27

but the man who holds the copyright is Britton W Crosby  not Murphy He can't even copy from this blog correctly.

#10 2010-04-04 08:28:11

I would have loved a photo of the grotesque Bobo outside of S&S, but P-SPAN comes up with a classic!!

#11 2010-04-04 08:52:36

So is it Mr. Murphy, Mr. Britton, or Mr. Crosby???!!! And if he had any journalistic ethics, he still would have given the attribution immediately. But it's still attributed to Britton Murphy. If the guy signs his emails Britton Crosby, who the heck is Mr. Britton and Mr. Murphy??? Too funny yet again.

In the tabloid:
It has come to the attention of Observer Media that members of the Take Back Wareham political group are claiming that the Wareham Observer stole photos of last Monday's six-alarm fire on the Cranberry Highway from photographer Britton Murphy's web site and published them without permission, violating Mr. Murphy's copyright protection. The following are a series of e-mail correspendences (sic) between Mr. Murphy and the Observer:

On 3/29/10 10:13 PM, "Warehamobserver@aol.com " wrote:

Hi. My name is Robert Slager and I am the publisher of the Wareham Observer newspaper. Your photos of the Onset fire are amazing. I was wondering if I could publish some of them. I would be willing to financially compensate the photographer if necessary. My photographer did not arrive (until) the blaze was under control. Anything you could do to help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Robert Slager
President and Publisher
Observer Media

In a message dated 3/30/2010 9:51:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Britt@CapeCodFD.com writes:

Hi Robert,
Sure. You can use some of my photos. I had posted a bunch more very late last night / early this morning on CapeCodFD.com. Let me know which ones you like. Compensation would be great.
Britt

On 3/30/10 9:56 AM, "Warehamobserver@aol.com" wrote:

Generally we pay $15 for each photo used (we're a pretty small operation; I think I may use four or five). I can pull some off your web site. To whom should I make the check out to?

Robert Slager

That would be fine.
Britton Crosby
73 Crosby Circle
Osterville, MA 02655

Observer Media felt it was necessary to address these clearly false claims made against the company by the Take Back Wareham political group, especially as these false claims are being made two days before the town election. Mr. Britton was given full credit for his photos on Page 12 of this week's edition of the Wareham Observer. We invited everyone to see for themselves.
    Furthmore (sic) we twice sent e-mails to Bill Whitehouse, owner of a local web site, with the contents of our e-mail correspondences with Mr. Murphy. Mr. Whitehouse has continued to allow supporters of Take Back Wareham to make these completely unwarranted claims on his web site even though he has been provided evidence that such claims have no basis in fact.

#12 2010-04-04 09:12:53

..and now the $64,000 question: is Bobo's check in the mail??..get right to the bank with it if it is Mr Crosby, and good luck cashing it!!

#13 2010-04-04 09:28:20

My thoughts, exactly slagisDB...hope the money arrives. Probably about the same time the landlord's money and the back monies owed  for publishing what will be one of the final four editions of the rag...soon to be gone and forgotten.

#14 2010-04-04 09:31:22

By the way, I am honored to have my very first JEER in the troll's alleged paper. I am SO PROUD!!
I spoke to a real reporter from a newspaper last week, and I am looking forward to the story he actually INVESTIGATED...he has names, etc.
My question is: how did the troll know that arrest was drug related and a warrant?
Think he has been talking with the Super Chief?

#15 2010-04-04 10:56:26

Well, I guess if the proper credits were initially given to Mr. Britton Crosby (not Mr. Murphy), then this question never would have been asked. If I were in his position, I would list a photo credit with every picture. Then people know the who took it and that it's use would be less likely to be questioned.....   But that's just me.

#16 2010-04-04 12:13:01

More thigh-slappers from Prince of Darkness, el BoBo.

"My photographer did not arrive....."

Roger that. You see, he has a STAFF of photographers, who were busy touching up old photos of el BoBo. Extensive research has revealed the names of Peter Parker and Jimmy Olsen as part of the staff. I could not confirm if these individuals were under the direct supervision of Paul Shooter.

"(unti)l the blaze was under control." Strange use of parentheses, that. Now I am notafirefighter, but it would seem to me that 'under control' would indicate that plenty of work is still being done, but that the fire is not OUT. In other words. plenty of photo ops for the "late" staff photog. Even if the 'staff' photog arrived a couple of days after the fire, you know, after being awakened to his omission by the unsavory crowd on this web site, and cruisin' on down from Halifax; there still would be photo ops to demonstrate the destruction.

el BoBo fails the smell test........again.

Now, what were those three great promises again? there was the lying one, the check one and OH MY!

Last edited by notalawyer (2010-04-04 12:16:51)

#17 2010-04-04 12:38:04

Dan   I'm so proud of you for getting your first jeer congrats. I guess Bobo failed to read the part of your story that stated other people heard Mr Stanley use the "N" word it wasn't just the person who was being arrested.

I also find it interesting that he never even mentioned the young woman who was paraded nude in front of everyone. He must think that is normal for cops to do. I guess he doesn't consider that a form of sex abuse or at the very least sexual harressment. As a supposed "journalist the very least he could do is contact the motel owner or any one that was there that night to get some kind of confirmation or denial. I don't remember reading that he called anyone involved. Maybe he only talked to Mr Stanley and thought that was the only source needed for the story.

By the way Dan when you were on the force did you ever hear the phrase

"person who was allegedly arrested in a drug bust" I didn't realize someone could be "allegedly arrested".

Last edited by marny (2010-04-04 16:04:37)

#18 2010-04-04 13:56:07

slagisDB wrote:

I would have loved a photo of the grotesque Bobo outside of S&S, but P-SPAN comes up with a classic!!

I would love to take credit for the photo..but in this thread about NOT giving credit to someone who took a photo..It wasn't my handiwork on this one..a friend sent me "Bobo the Bagel Big Boy"...thanks.

VOTE4CHANGE
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-04 13:56:36)

#19 2010-04-04 17:54:15

Nora Bicki wrote:

So is it Mr. Murphy, Mr. Britton, or Mr. Crosby???!!! And if he had any journalistic ethics, he still would have given the attribution immediately. But it's still attributed to Britton Murphy. If the guy signs his emails Britton Crosby, who the heck is Mr. Britton and Mr. Murphy??? Too funny yet again.

Before I went to do my Easter duties, I posted the above. I figured by the time I got home the corrections would be made. And sure enough, Mr. Britton and Britton Murphy have disappeared to be replaced by the photographer who took the photos, Britton Crosby.

The emails were dated 3/30 and today is 4/4. Nothing like accuracy and attention to detail. Oh right, it's a tabloid.

#20 2010-04-04 18:08:22

Marny....you are right on in every point. I spoke to a real reporter and he has names, etc. of the people involved. I expect to read the whole story soon in a real newspaper.
I am not familiar with an "alleged arrest" of any kind...but...what do I know?

#21 2010-04-04 19:32:43

Wow, that photographer has a real talent, excellent pictures. A couple points, first I noticed each of these fire trucks looks very modern and they have hoses on them, is the TFHC completely inept at figuring out what is an active engine and an antique?
I also noticed that everyone was working together, fire companies from multiple communities, the Chiefs from each district and the state. Teamwork! Good job to all the men and women who put out that fire, the sheer maginitude of it is mind boggling.
Finally, only Bobo would drag politics into fire trucks.

#22 2010-04-04 21:00:27

Bobo's email was waiting when I arrived home this evening from a couple beautiful days out of town and all I could think was, where's the fast forward button on this thing?

ONLY TWO MORE DAYS TO CHRISTMAS!

#23 2010-04-06 23:41:26

I just scanned the other site to see what election results were being displayed.

I happened to see if anything got shuffled around and came across his self promoting citizen of the year award. Once again I noticed he didn't give any photo credit. For crying out loud, didn't he have his "staff photographer" present for when he won his award? I noticed he's given a photo credit to the pictures for the basketball team at the bottom.

How hard is that? I mean for crying out loud, even middle school newspapers provide the appropriate credits to the photographer.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com