#1 2010-04-02 00:20:51

OUR VIEW: Wareham, throw the bums out
April 02, 2010 12:00 AM

Wareham voters have a chance to set things right again on Tuesday.

They will elect two members of the Board of Selectmen. The incumbents are Bruce Sauvageau and John Cronan, whose leadership has been disastrous for the community. Neither deserves re-election.

Sauvageau and Cronan have bullied critics and opponents, presided over a municipal government that is secretive and vindictive, conducted a witch hunt against demoralized town employees, made key hiring decisions behind closed doors, and routinely refused to answer questions or provide information about the public's business.

In so doing, they have made Wareham's municipal government a laughingstock that has stoked uncivil conduct and anger between rival factions. They have driven away talented employees, refused to allow any real public involvement in the hiring of either a new town administrator or a new chief of police, and cost the town money in lawsuits stemming from their bad decision-making.

Good leadership can change all that, and we urge every Wareham voter to make sure he or she casts a vote Tuesday. Because Sauvageau and Cronan are incumbents, they will be certain to make sure their supporters go to the polls. So if the turnout is low, the incumbents will have an advantage. A heavy turnout — above 5,000 voters — should benefit the three challengers.

All three would make excellent selectmen and bring a needed change to the board's makeup and functioning. All three promise to eliminate the back-room decision-making that Sauvageau and Cronan relish.

But because there are three challengers — Frank DeFelice, Stephen Holmes and Cara Winslow — there is a chance that the three challengers will split the vote of those who are fed up with the current Board of Selectmen. That might mean either or both Sauvageau and Cronan would be re-elected, which would be the worst possible outcome.

Therefore, we are endorsing Holmes and DeFelice and urge Wareham voters to vote for both.

Holmes is a businessman with excellent financial and personnel management experience. He will watch out for voters' wallets and opposes any general tax increase because the voters cannot afford it. He has witnessed firsthand the abusive tactics of the current Board of Selectmen and speaks forcefully and convincingly of the need for a new way to do business.

DeFelice has served as a selectman and zoning officer in Milton, N.H., and works for the town of Eastham as building inspector and assistant health agent. He is campaigning on the restoration of civility and transparency in municipal government, which have been missing in Wareham under the current regime on the Board of Selectmen.

Both are good candidates, and we urge Wareham residents to take back their town and vote for Stephen Holmes and Frank DeFelice.

#2 2010-04-02 01:06:02

old timer wrote:

OUR VIEW: Wareham, throw the bums out

three challengers will split the vote of those who are fed up with the current Board of Selectmen. That might mean either or both Sauvageau and Cronan would be re-elected, which would be the worst possible outcome

This is right on the $$..great article. Thanks for posting it "old timer"

VOTE4CHANGE
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#3 2010-04-02 01:19:32

I like the article's primary thrust that reform is needed, but feel they should have endorsed Cara Winslow, who ran a solid campaign in her prior attempt at office.  If the number of campaign signs is any indicator, she seems to have more support than Frank DeFilice.   

I do believe that Mr. DeFilice will certainly make a fine candidate come spring of next year, but had hoped he would recognize the possible dilemma of a three-way split of the reformer vote and decide to sit this one out and obtain some greater name recognition in the interim.  In any event, I wish all three challengers well, and fervently hope that two of them gain enough votes to replace the incumbents.

#4 2010-04-02 01:32:26

NEVER IN THE HISTORY ON THE STANDARD TIMES HAVE THEY ENDORESED ANY CANDITATE FOR SELECTMAN AND AND SAID NOT TO VOTE FOR 2 CANDITATES , SAVENUE AND CRONAN ARE JUST AWFUL AND I AGREE THATS WHY I WILL BE VOTING FOR HOLMES AND WIDSLOW  IWILL BE ALSO VOTING AGAINST CURLEY, BOURGHS THE NUT CASE,AND I WILL BE VOTING AGAINST OUR TOWN CLERK  , VOTE AGAINST THE INCUMBANTS THEY ARE ALL CROOKS. I WISH I HAD ANOTHER VOTE FOR DEFELICE AND I STILL THINK THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ATEMPT TO RECALL THAT DRUNK BROCTON BRENDA.

#5 2010-04-02 01:50:20

I could have sworn that I just heard a big ol' can of Jeer Juice opening!

#6 2010-04-02 01:54:12

That you did!  When I read this, I guess I assumed it was a letter to the editor.  Something wasn't right and duh - the light bulb came on.  I thought the S-T had been helping us.  What happened?

#7 2010-04-02 02:41:38

I just cant seem to logically understand how members of our community continue to support these officials that have had horrible work ethics, run in's with the law, ethics violations (free dirt and landscaping), uncontrolled spending habits on pet projects during one of the most difficult financial time in history, treating residents poorly during citizens participation, right off the top:
Example #1  Mr. Holmes trying to have some questions answered about Crimewatch,
Example #2  Mr. Baptiste also attempted to address some concerns about Crimewatch,
Example #3  Mr. Flarhaty (who supports the current admin.) was talked to like he was some kind of idiot when he addressed the board. 
The videos from all three of these individuals are available on this site, see for yourself. 
If we were talking about any joe schmoe on the streets with the same history as some of our selectmen you would want them tossed in the slammer and throw away the key, but in Wareham we are showing that these actions are acceptable.   

Please, try to think of one real big change that (they) as a board have accomplished that the majority of everyone on both sides of the fence can agree on, I cant honestly think of one thing.

#8 2010-04-02 03:29:33

wareham pride wrote:

I just cant seem to logically understand how members of our community continue to support these officials that have had horrible work ethics, run in's with the law, ethics violations (free dirt and landscaping), uncontrolled spending habits on pet projects during one of the most difficult financial time in history, treating residents poorly during citizens participation, right off the top:

Example #1  Mr. Holmes trying to have some questions answered about Crimewatch,
Example #2  Mr. Baptiste also attempted to address some concerns about Crimewatch

http://takebackwareham86bos.blogspot.co … 70709.html

After "hearing it" from Steve Baptiste and Paul Cardillino(sp?) about crimewatch, Steve Holmes sits down and endures the "sweet" treatment from King Bruce..ending with his disgusted "Jesus!"..just can't keep all that sweet honey goodness contained for very long.

Example #3 (Mr. Flaherty) (who supports the current admin.) was talked to like he was some kind of idiot when he addressed the board.

In this one..it's really Sweet Brucey who was rude to "Fogcutter"..two reasons (my guess) why he was so "sweet"..I think he was ill (he acts like he's about to drop)..but if you listen beyond Mr. Flaherty's part..Bruce responds to the ST (etc.) about the "lack of apology" by the board for the (16) open meeting law violations (he was just "itching" to respond..Foggy was in the way). Just watch Bruce (sick or not)..Do you REALLY think he's earned another three years? (tinhatters, sit down..I know where you stand)

http://takebackwareham86bos.blogspot.co … 62010.html

VOTE4CHANGE
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-02 04:48:45)

#9 2010-04-02 06:59:39

Make no mistake about it, look where DeFelice's signs are, he is in this race to split the vote, I am not surprised at all that the S-T would endorse him. He is an angry man who said at OPL that he is running because he couldn't get picked for a Board or Committee. He has no management skills (Holmes) and he has no leadership skills (Winslow). Both Holmes and Winslow are involved in the community. Mr. Holmes through the Lions Club and Mrs. Winslow often volunteers for different events benefiting different causes.
What is sad is that my neighbor told me yesterday that DeFelice is visiting Winslow's supporters and has even had people call her to drop out of the race. My neighbor got such a visit from Mr. DeFelice.
With that said, next year is irrelevant at this point! DeFelice chose to run this year so we need to get out the vote for the candidates who can get the job done.

Focus on April 6th!

#10 2010-04-02 08:29:48

Wow, that was a direct and to the point article! Kudos! People, the most important point of that article is to get people out to vote. We need 5000 to head to the polls and cast their vote. Voter apathy put these people in office and voter awareness will get them out.

#11 2010-04-02 11:13:49

Frank Defelice 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com