#1 2010-03-22 08:31:52

Brace yourselves for this one, peace bloggers.

Word on the street is that charities all over town have been notified of a new selectman decree - if you raise money on behalf of any part of the town, you must fill out a bunch of paperwork AND you must give that money directly to the town, or else you will not be allowed to raise money for a part of the town.

No longer are they just waging war on the Friends of the Library.  This decree extends their vindictiveness to youth sport clubs, team booster clubs, etc etc.  Charities won't be allowed to spend the money they raise on what the entity that they support needs, they'll be required to turn the money they raise over to the town.

And what guarantees are given that the town will be responsible with that money?  I wouldn't trust these people.

Yes, if you are a gracious volunteer who has donated many years of your life for free to benefit this town through a charity, the selectmen don't trust you anymore.

This will backfire greatly and all it will do is cause volunteers town wide to throw up their hands and give up, sending charitable efforts that benefit this town to a screeching hault.

It just isn't right to micro-manage the hard work of charity volunteers who are doing good work in this town.  Hopefully these charitable groups will spread the word and send these clowns packing at the ballot box.

#2 2010-03-22 08:53:36

Is this enforceable?  Guess our tax dollar will be used to find out.

#3 2010-03-22 09:00:39

Hey, just trademark the word "Wareham" why don't ya? Any usage of the word and you gotta throw a finnski  to Sweet Brucey, Janey or Brenda. The guidelines for 501(c)(3)'s aren't good enough for these people..making up the rules as they go is how they play it.

In case you missed it, they're also bringing back Westfield (Spring TM). According to the ST's Steve DeCosta, it's in the same "form" as was voted down 6 months ago! Sooo, if it had passed, could it have been brought back for another "go around"? Dave Smith from the Courier had it right when he said "three strikes and you're NOT out" about Westfield. I don't care how "nice" they're acting now, that's exactly what it is..."acting".

Oh, and you're right Ham..(thanks for the breaking news - I'm sure the Assclown appreciates it too)..The only thing it'll accomplish is LESS money for the organization's the not for profit's are attempting to support. Continuing to support these "leader's", or even praising them (as some have been), reminds me of someone getting "paddled"..and then asking "Thank you sir..May I have another?" ..if people decide to support these people on April 6th, then maybe Wareham deserves the poor leadership it's worked so hard to attain.

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-03-22 09:01:18)

#4 2010-03-22 09:27:55

Does that mean any non profit in town that donates ANY money to the town has to turn over all the money they now have or will ever directly to the town? Does that mean the Onset Bay Association which raises money for the fireworks has to give all the money they raise directly to the town? Does that mean all the money donated to the local police and fireman charities will have to be turned over to the town?

Was a letter sent out to the non profits to explain this stupid policy? If a letter was sent out please post it here so we can see the scope of this outrageous micro management of our current selectmen

#5 2010-03-22 13:12:16

When did this come out?  Has anyone rec'd a letter from the BOS about this?  I'd like to see it in print.  Do they really think they can get away with this?  I try annually to donate to the Wareham Police Assn. but if this money is going to the TOWN OF WAREHAM instead of where I want it to go, I will no longer contribute.

Dan has said repeatedly that the BOS must stay out of the daily workings of the Library and Police Department.  How true, Dan!  This Board is trying every trick in the book to ruin the Wareham Free Library.  This is a personal vendetta, not something that is in the best interest of the people of Wareham.      The same goes for the Wareham Police Assn..  They are the biggest part of the Christmas Parade for the people of Wareham.  They hold an annual cookout for the senior citizens of Wareham, at the Elks.  When a fellow officer was killed in the line of duty, in Wareham - this assn. was there to help the family of Officer Argentines.  This chief is not pro Wareham.  If he was he would have the b___s to tell the BOS to go to HELL on this item!   What about it Part Time Chief Stanley?  Speak up NOW, or are you afraid that you won't be our next full time police chief if you do!  P.T.Chief Stanley is pro his higher rate of retirement pension and that's all.  All this love between the BOS and Chief Stanley is part of a deep vendetta against the former Chief Joyce (the Tommy Joyce era-what a joke) and a few HONEST police officers who were just doing their job.

#6 2010-03-22 16:34:13

Fundraising is a First Amendment-protected activity, and there is a long line of court cases stating that only a very few reasonable restrictions may be imposed upon it (such as permits and identification for door-to-door solicitation).

While the current BOS does not exactly make me want to burst forth in song to praise their level-headedness, I have a hard time swallowing this particular rumor.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com