#1 2010-02-24 09:11:23

I received an email this morning stating the book sale was cancelled.  Anyone know why?

#2 2010-02-24 10:51:11

spideratc wrote:

I received an email this morning stating the book sale was cancelled.  Anyone know why?

The BOS were notably short on detail, huh? How long have you got?

Public Notices on Wed, 24 Feb 2010 07:29:22 wrote:

>Wareham Free Library
>Book Sale
>February 26 & 27
>During Library Hours
>
>BOOK SALE HAS BEEN CANCELLED

#3 2010-02-24 11:02:11

Marcia Griswold, the head of a local PAC  that operates under the pseudo-  acronym ,COA, and who is now charged with the assignment to set up another WDTC political action committee at WFL, is the visible source of the  book sale cancellations, but she  is no more than a lackey for the  BOS members who would have  us all believe that the WFL Friends  "have been up to no good" for years. Thank you ,Marcia, for helping my friends understand why I blew my stack when you implicated...slandered is more like it... that my wife was involved in a nefarious WFL  Friends embezzlement scheme that has been going on for twenty years.

Our first instinct is to blame the TA...But wait... He hasn't cancelled book sales....he's postponed them in a way that will put Ms. Griswold under a spotlight, and  keep her from continuing to run to him whenever her outrageous management style gets her into hot water. He is calling for a meeting : The WFL Friends , the new WFL Trustees, and...ta-da !.. Ms. Griswold.  I assume that such a meeting would have to be public.   Wareham,  you are about to meet Marcia Griswold, the personnel manager from Hell!. It'll be the best show in town...book a seat early.

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2010-02-24 11:55:37)

#4 2010-02-24 12:13:55

I'm as confused as everyone else is. We got permission from the TA that we could have this sale. Then, we just got an email from him saying this one and all future ones are canceled until further notice. Also, we were told to "work with the Library Board of Trustees" because the TA "met with them February 9, 2010" (I didn't see the connection either but that's what he said). So, why wait until 3 days before the sale?

And if the Trustees want to somehow control the book sales, why didn't they contact the president of the Friends around the 9th when they had their meeting? Very confusing indeed. What are we to think? If they don't want the Friends to raise money to support the library, they need to tell us. But don't tell us one thing and then change it at the last minute. It's not fair to the patrons, the staff, or the Friends volunteers.

Guess who will be catching all the grief from the people who come to the library expecting the sale? The poor staff members. Or perhaps Mr. Andrews, or the members of the Board of Trustees, or Griz will be there to take the pressure off the staff and take responsibility for canceling the sale and causing confusion.

I get them not letting us have a sale, but I don't get the way it was handled. Of course, I'm no longer shocked when I see such examples of bad management and decision making--this is only my opinion.

#5 2010-02-24 12:21:37

By the way, the Friends got a letter from the acting director on Feb. 18th saying Mr. Andrews had approved of the sale for this weekend. That was 9 days after the Trustees met.

#6 2010-02-24 13:30:55

IKNOW WHAT I  AM DOING ,I AM GIVING MONEY TO THE CANDITATES  I FAVOR, AND I WILL BE THERE IN APRIL TO VOTE THESE  NO NOTHING JACKASSES OUT IN APRIL

#7 2010-02-24 13:33:07

PEOPLE WHO BELEAVE WE NEED A CHANGE IN LEADER SHIP GIVE  MONEY TO THE CANDITATES WE FAVOR.

#8 2010-02-24 13:43:39

THE REAL GOAL OF THESE CREEPS IS TO CLOSE THE LIBRARY,THEY TALK OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF THERE MOUTHS , DONT WE NEED THE MONEY THAT THE FREINDS  CAN RAISE FOR THE LIBRARY, REMEMBER TO VOTE IN APRIL BUT WE NEED TO BRING OUT OUR FREINDS TO VOTE

#9 2010-02-24 14:54:20

Here is where I have an issue, we have a library that but for legislation would have been de-certified. We budget no money for books and supplies, yet we are cancelling book sales? Why? Because Bobo said so?

#10 2010-02-24 14:57:07

I just hope that all of the people who look forward to the book sales and are frustrated that they are constantly being cancelled due to a neverending political vendetta remember to vote the bums out on April 6th. 

With any luck, the wholesale destruction of the library brought by these clowns will end on April 6 and work to restore its good name can begin on April 7.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-02-24 14:57:44)

#11 2010-02-24 15:40:54

Any chance that someone like the Salerno's will donate space to hold the sale? It just seems that 1. The library desperately needs money and 2. The community can always use good books at a great price!

#12 2010-02-24 16:24:58

Zoo first of all welcome back. Zoo Marcia’s goal is to get the friends and the book sale out of the library. Nothing would give her more pleasure then to make the friends have the sale somewhere else preferably somewhere they would have to pay rent thereby reducing the amount of money raised by the friends. I’m sure her next tactic will be not allowing the friends to collect books for the sale at the library. She is going to do everything she can to destroy the friends before the new director is appointed.

Ham I don’t really think the BOS is out to destroy the library (although their actions may contribute to its downfall, they are too stupid to realize what they are doing) I think it is a control and micro management issue. They want control of all the money raised and control how the money is spent. The fact that they can’t tell the friends how to spend the money must drive them right up the wall. I think they also don’t like the fact that although the library needs money most of the citizens of Wareham who care about the library donate to the friends instead of directly to the town. People have more faith that the friend’s money will go to the library and be spent wisely. Some of the BOS may actually believe Bobo’s story. Personally I think it is all about control, from the BOS and for sure control from Marcia, she gives new meaning to the phrase ‘control freak”

#13 2010-02-24 17:02:49

Well I'll be darned, the Acting Library Director doesn't want money for the library? Forgive me as I have been in Florida for the past almost 6 months and I did not stay current on Wareham news, but why on earth would someone in that position do such a horrible thing?
I am most disappointed in the new TA for allowing this. This is a low income community, the citizens need every resource they can get from internet, books, and magazines. The young family that lives next door is the perfect example. The dad works two jobs, during the day he works at Wal*Mart in Fairhaven (?) and at night he works at a liquor store. They have three children under 5 (one is 3 and twins who just turned 1), it isn't feasible for Mom to work as the cost of daycare far outweighs her potential income.
These young people are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet, poor as church mice and proud as can be. They use the library for everything! Mom gets all her kid books there, she "rents" her DVD's there, reads the magazines every month, takes the kids to any and all programming because it is free entertainment, and uses the internet to check e-mail. She told me once that she believed the library saves her family $1,000.00 annually by not paying $50.00 per month for internet she is saving $600.00 and she chaulks the rest up to what she saves on renting movies and she does get passes to various things but I don't know what that is.
For a family like this the library is an essential service, where would they be without it? I bet there are hundreds of families, and seniors in the community that can't afford magazine subscriptions or DVD rentals! I am outraged, obviously there has been no improvement whatsoever in the state of the town since I have been gone.
As Bobo would say, it would be funny if it wasn't so sad, oh my head.

#14 2010-02-24 19:40:02

I JUST SAW SLAGERS LATEST DIATRIBE AGAINST THE FREINDS OF THE WAREHAM FREE LIBRARY, I SAY THEY , THE FREINDS SHOULD SUE SLAGER FOR ALL HIS LIES ,  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH .

Last edited by ihateliz (2010-02-24 19:41:30)

#15 2010-02-24 20:32:12

Strangely enough the phone rang tonight and a good friend who has not spoken to me in almost a year apologized, she said she never knew but it is so clear now.
This friend, whom I have known since we were in diapers, stopped talking to me after we had a falling out over "The Wareham Observer". My friend that I will call Joann is (was) an avid fan of Bobo, a subscriber (and I suspect contributor) to his website, she stopped speaking with me last year in the spring after some insane story that appeared in the rag.
Joann called me to share the following post on the real hate site:

By: LenSkynyrd on 2/24/10
To the hate bloggers - let me try to help you to understand this. The Library is not going anywhere, OK? The story about the poor family who does not own a computer and needs to use them at the library is touching, and sad, but guess what? The library will still be there for them! There are lots of volunteers to help out now. And to the rich people who'd like to donate: your donation could not be more secure if you do business directly with the Town instead of with a private group which decides how and when your donation will be used. Good riddance Friends. You are not the library. The library is staying, and you are going. Goodbye !

Here is what Joann said to me, let's call me Maude (I always loved Maude).
Maude, it's me Joanne I feel like such a jerk. I'm sorry about our fight I guess you are right. I know how much you like to say that you told me so, you can go ahead and say it now.
I declined because I love Joann and being right is no where near as important as being Jo's friend.
Maude when I read this I could feel the bitter hatred. The Friends have supported the library for decades. I am not sure if this person understands the importance of their contribution. I am so sorry Maude. I love you.
I love you too Jo.

I just want to thank Len for his post, it shows how a group of people will attack another group of people to accomplish what? No one is winning in this situation. My neighbor will see this post as will everyone I come in contact with until no one will listen to me anymore. I want to thank Len for bringing my oldest and dearest friend back into my life. The people who live next door to me are the most up-standing human beings I know, there is nothing "sad" about them. They are hard working, proud people. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would give them the winning ticket because there is no one who deserves it more then they do, including my own children!

I hope the entire community sees this for what it really is. If I live to be 150 I will never understand why a guy from Halifax wants to poison Wareham so badly.

#16 2010-02-24 21:59:46

iliveinazoo wrote:

I will never understand why a guy from Halifax wants to poison Wareham so badly.

It's not so much that he wants to poison wareham.  He wants to beguile his family into thinking  he is an honorable man.  He also needs to make enough money to keep the rag running.  He's learned that if he continues to write fictional stories that praise the scum and drag down the honorable, he will be rewarded with revenue from the scum in the form of advertisement.  If he prints the truth it will hurt his scheme to generate revenue and he will be out of business.  So no matter what he knows in his heart, he must continue with his lies and continue to preach to his tin foil hate-ers so they can console him and tell him how worthwhile he is to this town....And the saddest part is that he keeps trying to convinced himself that he is a worthwhile human being.  He doesn't want to destroy the town.  He wants to destroy people who have accomplished more than he can even dream of accomplishing.  He doesn't understand that these tactics do not make him an honorable man.

Last edited by Mixie (2010-02-24 22:01:19)

#17 2010-02-24 22:26:41

Mixie wrote:

he will be rewarded with revenue from the scum in the form of advertisement.

Unless of course Wareham Week is smart enough to under-bid him....

#18 2010-02-26 13:06:56

It is a sad thing that the new TA has been pressured to change his mind about the book sale. I’m sure Marcia and Brenda had a lot to do with his decision. Marcia talks with Brenda for hours at work; it would be nice if she would concentrate on the COA rather then get involved with all the politics in town.

I’m sure Marcia will be at the library today and Sat to gloat over the fact she was able to get the book sale cancelled. I doubt that any patrons who approach her to express their displeasure will have any affect on her. She really doesn’t care what people think.

What Marcia fails to realize is that she is a town employee, we the taxpayers are the ones who pay her salary. The selectman aren’t her boss, the selectman are not suppose to be involved in the day to day running of the town. Are you listening Brenda!!!  The town administrator is the only person who has control over Marcia. Unfortunately right now it seems that Marcia has control over him, at least when it comes to the library. Hopefully a new library director will be hired as soon as possible

#19 2010-02-26 14:26:15

Last night I had a thought. What if the Friends did exactly what Bobo wants them to do, write a check. I know it sounds crazy but let's assume for a minute that they clean out their account. I thought Nora posted somewhere how much money was in it, it wasn't much in comparison to what Bobo thinks is there.
Then when the Town squanders the money (we all kow they will) we'll see how long it takes the new Trustees to come up with all the money it takes to purchase books, supplies, boilers, computers, and pay salaries. When there is nothing left who will they blame then?
I am not suggesting that the Friends do this, just thinking what if? The Friends gave money to the Town last year for salaries so I can't understand how the TA can say they haven't given. I do hope someone offers up some sort of clarification! I also read that since the Friends have not had a book sale since Christmas that they haven't raised money. Then I read about a fundraiser on Facebook. I think I am getting confused or maybe it is just too much information.

#20 2010-02-26 14:59:05

The BOS and their lackeys are going to do whatever it takes to make the libraries go away. They will not hire a qualified librarian, and they will refuse to support funding for either of the libraries.
They don't care about the libraries, and they never will.
They have done a remarkable job in the attempt to destroy them, and unless they are stopped soon, they will succeed very shortly
Bad publicity, lack of trust of the friends of the libraries, and the lack of knowledge of how important a library system of some kind is in place, will result in the end of the libraries as you know them.
Just my opinion...but...I am sorry to say I think I am right.
That's why I have preached getting government out of the ...oh...you know the rest.

#21 2010-02-26 19:29:48

/

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-02-26 19:31:41)

#22 2010-02-27 10:53:03

commonsense wrote:

Mixie wrote:

he will be rewarded with revenue from the scum in the form of advertisement.

Unless of course Wareham Week is smart enough to under-bid him....

You have more faith that I that the BOS will act according to law.  I think they are masters in manipulating facts into anything they want.  They and slager are a devious crew.

#23 2010-02-27 19:25:27

THE FREINDS USUALLY DONT GIVE MONEY TO THE LIBRARY AND SLAGER MIGHT BE RIGHT HERE, BUT THE FREINDS USUALLY HELP WITH  FUNDS FOR PROGRAMS AT THE LIBRARYAND BUY BOOKS AND BUY COMPUTORS AND THINGS LIKE THATAND WITH THE FREINDS GONE THEN I GUESS  THE LIBRARY  WILL MISS OUT ON THINGS LIKE THAT.

#24 2010-02-28 11:58:01

It has become quite clear that the BOS and Marcia Griswold are doing everything they can to destroy the Friends of the library. I am actually surprised by what has been put in print lately and what has been posted about the friends “good riddance Friends” The joy and glee expressed by some at the deliberate and calculated attacks against the friends are now out in the open.

All of the Friend’s family members, people who are close to the Friends or anyone who supports the Friends and knows the character of these people, should do everything within their power to get as many people to the polls to vote.

Although Brucey has recently been nicey nicey about  what he says about our local police dept it wasn’t that long ago he was implying that some of our policemen were racist as well as making other nasty comments. (Pspan maybe you could find that clip)   I encourage anyone who works on the police force, their families and friends to go to the polls and vote...

I know a lot of the people who work for the town are furious with the way this current BOS is continually wasting the town money while the employees are constantly asked to sacrifice. So I encourage all family members and friends of current town employees as well as those who have been laid off, and all the teachers in town to go to the polls and vote.

I would like to thank Nora for everything she has done and all her posts. Her frustration level must be at the max.

#25 2010-02-28 14:57:11

ANYONE ELSE THINK ITS SAD AND PATHETIC THAT A GROWN MAN WRITES A WHOLE ARTICLE ABOUT A NEWSPAPER LIMITING HIS COMMENTS ON A COMMENTARY BOARD? THIS IS WHAT GETS THIS GUY OFF? YOUR WRITING ON A COMPETITORS NEWSPAPER..... THATS JUST STRANGE . I KNOW YOU THINK MORE PEOPLE WOULD READ YOUR COMMENTS OVER THEIR THAN ON YOURS. THE SAME 12 PEOPLE BLOG ON YOUR SITE AND IS FULL OF NUTS. GROW UP BOY

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com