#1 2010-02-05 16:43:16

I attended the annual SEMLS Legislative breakfast in Middleboro with the pres. of the Friends. It is attended by library directors, trustees, friends, members of the Library Commissioners and other library professionals along with our legislators.

I learned that the MBLC has given another extension to the library until March 31st. Susan Williams-Gifford told us that the legislation needed for certification will most likely go through and that she is working to make sure it does.  (Many thanks to Susan who attends this breakfast every year to show her support for our library!!)

This additional extension is unprecedented by the MBLC and we are fortunate to get it. Apparently, the paperwork that was missing has also been submitted. The Board is doing everything it can to help Wareham.

If/when the legislation passes, the MBLC will most likely give the library a waiver with reservation for our certification status. That means that we will be eligible for state aid and we will retain all borrowing and inter-library loan privileges.

This is good news!!!

#2 2010-02-05 16:47:24

That is good news..Thank you Nora.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#3 2010-02-06 00:52:49

I was recently asked by a good friend why I keep talking about getting the government out of the library business.
What did I propose?
Here is my answer....I hope it helps explain how I feel.

"The history of the libraries in Wareham, especially when I was active in the Town from 1969 to 1978, and certainly before, was that private foundations and the citizens at large protected, supported and ran the library system.
The expenses you are facing now within the library system is because of government interference. Wasteful spending, shortsighted ideas, no competence by those in charge.
Take a look at what the Tobeys, Lincolns, Bournes, Makepeaces, Hammonds, Beatons, etc.etc., etc., did for the library system.
Much money was pledged by those families and individuals, privately with foundation monies and last will and testament donations. Foundations that were intended to maintain the libraries for generations.
Along comes the government, and because of their interference, inability to understand the library system, hiring of incompetent and unworthy individuals, and all of a sudden the wealthy families( not the nouveaux riche', but "old" money) don't want to be involved.
Look at what took place in only two days by the library picking up more than 500 new friends on face book, and I am sure that figure could go well over 1000 by the end of the month.
Private requests, people working together, people matching funds raised, people having a common cause and a reason to fight the government interference that exists.
Get government the hell out of the library business and trust that the people of Wareham will do what they always have: support and defend the libraries.
Town Meeting will help for any shortfalls. Always has, always will.
The future of the libraries, to be successful, has to rest in the hands of the people.
Once grant writers are hired, monies that we don't even know exist will come...Federal, State, Private Foundations, etc."

#4 2010-02-06 09:26:00

Dan, when you make the statement: "The expenses you are facing now within the library system is because of government interference. Wasteful spending, shortsighted ideas, no competence by those in charge." honestly, I have no clear idea what you are saying when you make that statement in terms of the library. It certainly is not the ACTUAL EXPENSE that operates the library that is the problem; that expense is too small.

It's the lack of adequate (sustaining) expense pertaining to the library which  was agreed upon at the last town meeting and the previous Town Meeting which is a big part of the problem. The town is not supporting its end even though Town Meeting voted for it. When the town continued to reduce its monetary support, then the initiation of the falacy pertaining to the power elite controlling Town Meeting took place, and we all know the variations of all the spin which has taken place since that time.

When I take your statement and place it in the context of the town itself rather than the library I can agree with it 100% plus. The problem with this town government is its current personalities who make such a very poor job that does not reflect how a modern and effective government needs to operate. Just the point that so much of the discussion pertains to individuals and the perceived shortcomings of various departments rather than the development of a gameplan based on modern concepts of management says that Wareham cannot improve without change.

Voting and Changing must occur. When Joe Murphy was TA he was so consistent in his manner of making sense out of the financials and bringing plans that work to Town Meeting for perusal. In the recent past we've had multiple plans brought to Town Meeting, our FinComm complains they don't have all the data. What these selectman have wrought is pervasive throughout the town.

The selectmen believed the library was a great excuse to make a point and throw their weight around. But it backfired on them even though Bobo carries that flame for them today its unreal, Dick can't even turn himself in and confess for it! The last few months since the court ruled has been nothing more than sour grapes.

This will not change in one form or another until these personalities are voted out. In my opinion what's happened to the library could also have happened to another town department or entity which had any valid measure of autonomy from the town. Because they had to prove themselves with the library, the TA firing, etc., etc. the list will not end because it is the only self-supporting style they have. I'm am sorry for them not only as a group but as individuals for having painted themselves into a corner they cannot escape.

The truth and the goodwill of the people will prevail. As I have said from the beginning I Have Faith this will take place. However, if not this election, the beatings will continue should these selectmen remain in office. The good things you mention about the support of a library i.e. the foundation, etc are what makes a library better. I believe in all the things you stated would make a library better for our citizens.

However, my opinion, is that the basic sustinance and budget for the library belongs to the town and not such groups. This is what I wrote 08-30-08 on this topic, when I just reread it this morning I was quite amazed at how relevant it still remains:

Labor Day is especially important in Wareham today. Its not really about a day off or another BBQ. Its recently been announced that Wareham will lose the equivalent of ten of its town workers. These cuts are reported to significantly involve the ranks of its library workers. At a time when schools are opening and relying upon the services delivered by these workers, this is especially disressful to the town.

Reducing the Librarys hours and funding support to this sorry and inbalanced state is a knee jerk reaction to the  purported fiscal crisis this town faces. To segregate the library, reducing it disproportionately beyond other town personnel, services and activities is a disgrace. It sends the message how little Wareham values its librarys role, ignoring its educational, social and business responsibilities and infrastructure. It rekindles memories of Wareham formerly referred to as the armpit of Cape Cod.

For the Library to operate as a shell of itself is not what Wareham residents and taxpayers want. The majority wants the Library to continue functioning as it has. It insists other solutions be explored on a time critical basis. It is a sign of economic decline When a library becomes decertified or made to operate on the verge of closing. Not only is it demoralizing, it devalues community property in relation to other communities who support their libraries on an equitable basis.   

This Library offers multi-faceted services. Participating in its many varied activities is a worthwhile and essential experience. The impact is far reaching beyond educational value. Wareham has been blessed with the founding of a good Library known and respected beyond its borders. It has enhanced the perception of the town for those visiting, those considering Wareham as a new home to raise their families and those opening or working in a new business. This represents a real dollar value attracting personal and busness investment to our community, going well beyond just a nice thing to have or an serving as an afternoon babysitter.

While town politics has been working hard and spinning reasons to single out the Library as its primary source to balance the budget and cut spending, using the plight of the Library this way is a short sighted solution. This fiscal problem needs to be addressed thoughtfully on a responsible basis. To act without informed experience or broad input from taxpayers is not in the best interests of the town. Most residents have been taken by surprise by this quick turn of budgetary events. It appears like a three cup and ball game involving Selectmen, Acting TA and Department Heads with the responsibility for budget cuts passed like a hidden ball under the cup between one group to another.

Wareham voters will not be satisfied with this sort of callous determination. It would result in further dividing groups. It's time for the citizens of Wareham to take their town back, attend town meeting and get critical budget issues dealt with according to the will of Town Meeting voters on a focused and straight forward basis and in the resident's best interests. The BOS must be informed to carry out the will of Town Meeting voters. Town meeting voters need to insist they do so and that there are consequences when they do not. Without such a fundamental underlying agreement town government in Wareham will fail and so will Wareham's budget.

Both the plight of the Library and the saga of the sewer administrative fee are examples, where town meeting vote was either ignored or later superceeded by the original individual aims of the BOS. Based upon recent revelations determined by the District Attorney of Open Meeting violation, the constant turmoil concerning town mismanagement, the level of micromanagement and time consuming waste spent on unimportant town matters, important issues like these need to be dealt with by its citizens and not the BOS like a ball in a three cup game.

THE WAY TO IMPROVE OUR COMMUNITY IS TO VOTE FOR CHANGE !!!

#5 2010-02-06 10:45:33

wag the dog...WOW!
I agree with everything you said, and believe it or not you believe everything I said.
Government, you refer to personalities, is the problem. Even with wonderful, competent, hard working, focused, committed Selectmen, you will still run into the problem of the Town being constrained for monetary reasons, and forced to REDUCE services.That is when the generosity of supporters of the libraries from the private sector have an advantage. They have free rein to fund raise and control costs.
Government doesn't have that luxury.
Thanks for the well written and informative post.
I think we really do agree, but, if not...we will agree to disagree.

#6 2010-02-06 12:04:03

Well, not quite sure about that, but let's try. I do hold an optimistic funding outlook that we appear to share in terms of grant funding, etc. But, my primary concern right now is on the subsistence level. We don't have that at the Library and there is no reason we should not. We have budgeted for and been promised a permanent Library Director, when will that really happen? Was Nerbosa a real solution or was the process just a delay? We now have a temp director supported by a TA and BoS, who regardless of what they say does not appear to support either the library from my subsistence perspective nor our shared perspective for realizing a better library.

Dan, I think you would agree that such a funding effort as you propose doesn't occur overnight. Complicating all our endeavors when one reads and sees about the FaceBook debacle in the hired press and the real lack of support for even a subsistence library by our elected officials and TA, I'm led to believe both you and I are in the same boat. Both our opinions are equally at risk, regardless of budget constraints.

Dan, I do have a couple questions before I persue this further. To what extent monetarily would you support the library in the Town of Wareham budget? How much do you believe the current operating expense is relative to that budget? How many $$$ do you believe would be required from outside donations and the such to make up a difference as you say? What is that difference in real dollars?

As you know, everyone needs to work with the real numbers. Hey, thanks again for acknowledging we are actually in agreement. Wow!

#7 2010-02-06 12:36:44

Dan, honestly no need to answer those questions. They belong being asked of our esteemed Selectmen!

#8 2010-02-06 13:24:58

wag...I don't mind answering at all.
First, you once again stated it...the government has and is ruining the library system in Wareham.
I believe there are over one million dollars available that have not been turned over to the Town under an agreement that the Town breached, violated, and ignored.
If your attorneys check, I am sure you may have a case to appeal to the Legislature to break away from Town government.
I understand that it is about $300,000.00 right now for the library to function, and that is a budget that is not being spent well.
How much would I contribute? Well, so far, we expect 2000 fiends of the library. I bet if we reached out to support the libraries, not just the friends, that we would have 4 to 5 thousand people. Divided into $300,000.00...at the very worst it would be a $100.00 donation for a year to the library.
Would I pay it? Absolutely, and so will many others...enough to support the library and ensure that it is run efficiently, independently, competently and will survive for generations.
I believe that so many people will get involved that the yearly contribution will be less than $100.00. Plus, your fundraisers, etc.
Sign me up!
I don't live in Wareham, and many hundreds of others no longer live in Wareham. Those of us that were born and raised and grew up in Wareham love our libraries and we would never turn our back on the institutions that gave us many hours of pleasure and comfort.
We don't forget.

#9 2010-02-08 21:33:59

In other State Aid activity, the Board voted to grant Wareham Free Library provisional State Aid certification until March 31, 2010. Due to falling below even the accommodated number of hours open, Wareham was not eligible to apply for FY2010 State Aid to Public Libraries program and would have lost certification as of January 1, 2010. However, Senator Marc Pacheco filed a bill, that if passed, will essentially grant the library certification. The provisional certification will allow Wareham to stay certified while the Legislature considers the Senator's bill.

This marks the second effort by the Board to accommodate Wareham and avoid the library going in and out of certification pending the outcome of Senator Pacheco's bill. In December the Board voted to extend Wareham's certification through February 3, 2010.

Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC): State Aid 2010

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com