#1 2010-01-05 17:09:52

Just caught bits and pieces of something going down at a bank in Town..I have a scanner on in the "background" and caught pieces of what seemed to be a pretty exciting chase and rapid capture of the "perp". I wish I had more info..I think I heard them say Merchants Way..in reference to the bank location...and believe the "suspect" was apprehended near CVS. I'm not sure if it was a robbery (or other details)..but I'm guessing we'll hear more about this. Another job well done by our "Men (and women) in Blue"!!

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#2 2010-01-05 20:51:39

They mentioned this at tonight's meeting. They said it was TD Banknorth. Apparently Cronie (Mr. Chairman) was a witness..and was "able to finish his sandwich" (Hey, that's what he said..) I wonder if Paul Shooter will come out of seclusion and have a story on this one.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#3 2010-01-05 23:57:21

Hey P-Span, Biffy would have been proud of his brother police officers today.  I was listening to the scanner while on the computer and the clock said 4:46.  A car was sent to TD North Bank (the old First Nat'l Bank).  Dispatch said a cell phone called across the street to the drive-up, (I think) and said a note was passed to a teller and to call the police.  It could have been a text.  Two cruisers were there so fast and the info and description of the robber was on the air.  They didn't even get into the bank, they had info that the robber ran left, towards the fire station.  Sgt. K. Walsh was running down the tracks looking for footprints.  There were none.  The owner of Wareham Feed was outside and saw no one and the firemen saw no one.  I can't remember which officer found the sweat-shirt, hat and mask (ski, I think) on the sidewalk area beside Minerva's.  They had a great description from the bank employees and then I hear Sgt. Det. Jacinto say it sounded like ? and he just drove by him and he no sooner got the words out to someone to grab him and the other cop already had him in custody.  The Sheriff's car with the dog had just gone by my house, another 6 miles to town.  Our officers are great!  They are well trained and their instincts are sharp.  Good Job Wareham P.D.!!!!

#4 2010-01-06 01:42:09

Thanks, bornof..now that you bring back all the details..I remember hearing all of that. It was pretty interesting to hear it unfold. When the dispatcher said there was a note that said "call the police"..and the mask being found...all of it, until they got him. I heard them saying he was wearing a Harley Davidson jacket. It was pretty impressive. I keep the scanner on all the time and usually only pay attention to it a little, and keep it turned down pretty low (it's not high tech)..Can you add the link to the internet site where I can listen? Thanks again...

Homeless man to be arraigned in Wareham bank robbery

WAREHAM — A homeless man will be arraigned today in Wareham District Court on charges stemming from the robbery Tuesday of a Main Street bank.

Galen Thompson, 53, was arrested Tuesday afternoon and faces charges of armed robbery and resisting arrest, according to Officer William Fihlman, public information officer for the Wareham Police Department.

Police received a 911 call about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday reporting that a robbery at T.D. North Bank, located at 237 Main St, Fihlman said.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-01-06 01:48:41)

#5 2010-01-06 08:18:30

don't know how.  Sorry

#6 2010-01-06 08:28:42

Bornof is right. I am, and always will be, proud of those men and women who serve as Police Officers for the Town of Wareham.
First line of defense and up to the standards expected of a quality, well trained, dedicated and committed to duty Police department.
Cops are tough....they can listen to the negative crap about them, but, they know what their jobs are and they do them very well.
Respect is all they ask for...doesn't seem unreasonable.
By The way, the temporary Chief has nothing to do with the quality of the officers that have served so long for the Town. He may have shielded them from interference from the BOS, but he has not trained them or patrolled with them.
If he wants to stay, I think he should be given consideration AFTER the Chief's test is called for and a new Chief is ready to be picked.
Congratulations to the men and women of the WPD.

#7 2010-01-06 17:01:14

Wareham patrol officers and detectives saturated the area immediately and began searching for the suspect. Bank employees described the robber as a white male approximately five feet, nine inches tall, weighing about 185 pounds and wearing a dark colored hooded sweatshirt, black pants, black boots and a dark colored mask. One of the tellers told police that the suspect entered the bank, held up a plastic shopping bag and yelled, “Fill the bag with money.”

Officers Paul Somers and Mary Walker spotted an individual walking down Main Street near the entrance to CVS Plaza on Main Street fitting the description of the suspect. They stopped and questioned the suspect and found a plastic bag on him containing a large amount of cash and evidence linking him to the bank. He was also carrying a folding knife in his front pocket. He was placed under arrest after a brief struggle with three Wareham police officers.

He was transported to the Wareham Police Department and charged with armed robbery while masked and resisting arrest. He was scheduled to be arraigned at Wareham District Court Wednesday morning.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/home … t-arrested

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#8 2010-01-06 17:58:50

Another Einstein caught.

#9 2010-01-06 19:28:24

Homeless man?  Well if that is the case, I am sorry to say that it is warmer in jail than on the streets.  I doubt that he cared if he was caught or not.  It is too bad and very sad if that is the case.   Not saying that what he did was right.  Absolutely not, but I am not sure what I would do if I were in that situation.

#10 2010-01-06 22:35:57

More on todays police actions on the coleman thread.

#11 2010-01-07 02:15:58

TBL

WantToSeeChange wrote:

Homeless man?  Well if that is the case, I am sorry to say that it is warmer in jail than on the streets.  I doubt that he cared if he was caught or not.  It is too bad and very sad if that is the case.   Not saying that what he did was right.  Absolutely not, but I am not sure what I would do if I were in that situation.

Don't feel bad for him. It is probably safe to assume that he is not your typical hobo on a park bench or some poor fellow who just happens to be temporarily down on his luck. More like a drifter who crashes with friends and raises hell when he has some cash in his pocket.

#12 2010-01-07 07:18:28

Thanks WantToSeeChange for expressing what also crossed my mind.  None of us are that far from desperate and stupid behavior that would result if fate brought us the right mix of misfortune.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com