#1 2009-11-24 10:26:39

During this week of "thanks" and as a distraction from recent happenings, I was thinking back to a time when the two towns of Wareham and Bourne were electric during this week with the "buzz" of the annual Thanksgiving Football game.  A time when you raced to the Jugg Shop or into Decas' or into Marble Hardware to get your tickets EARLY to avoid the line and to maybe talk about the game over a cup of coffee.

A time when there was a bonfire, talk about "who will eat crow" and when the papers were filled about stories about the rivalry and the history of the game.

A time when you met old friends, saw friends that you only met one time per year - this time and perhaps when you pulled an innocent prank on the other school.

This feeling of community and pride is a true "event" for two small towns; an event that is unique - an event that is our own.  Two towns divided by a bridge, a symbolic landmark so unique to the area that come together for great competition, community pride and tradition.

Recent times, in my view, have resulted in less interest, less participation and less "buzz" about this annual game.  Sure...this spirit still exists in pockets but I think with each new generation and each new class of high school students, the "shine" is less and the tradition wanes.

Here's to remembering those times and to rekindling that spirit.  Happy Thanksgiving!!

#2 2009-11-24 10:38:36

IV..I, for one, didn't grow up here. But, your point is a good one..If you've seen my previous "sports" posts, you'll notice I'm a bit of a sports fan. Football came into it a little later for me than the others (I was about 12?)..Went to my first big "Thanksgiving Rivalry" game..and was hooked. The whole experience. It was cold, and to stay warm my friend turned me on to "coffee" (another thing I've been hooked on since that day).
The hot dogs..the emotions..the crowd, and (oh, yeah) the Game!! Like I said, I was hooked.

It was different (IMO) then..Our country was different. Some good, some bad.
Evolution..unavoidable, and necessary. I'm thankful for it (and the memories).

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-24 10:39:26)

#3 2009-11-24 10:49:45

I remember the Wareham/Bourne rivalry very well!
If you check, I believe you will find that our teams (Wareham) in the 1960's were great. I remember my good friend Lenny Lopes was our "star".
I also remember, with great sadness, the night that Lenny was killed by an idiot, just before his wedding.
Go VIKINGS!!
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

#4 2009-11-24 10:55:46

When I moved from Tennessee, the first thing I noticed was that Friday Night was not the same here. I came from a part of the country where football is a religion. On Thursday night, it was middle school games. On Friday night, you were at the HS game. Saturday was UT football either in person or on TV....

In the town where both my older children attended school, there is a very deep rivalry with the next town over. In fact, it's one of the oldest HS rivalries in the country (I believe it makes the top 10). A normal home game for the HS was 1500 to 1800 people. During the final game of the season, which was the rivalry game, it was 2500+. IV is right, it's about community spirit and renewing friendships that are not day to day. As parents, we worked the concession stand (band booster for my daughter) and I broke down film and sat in the booth for middle school and high school games. I have to say it was some of the greatest moments in my life.

After many years of attending and participating, I spent the final rivalry game sitting in the stands. It was possibly one my proudest moments to watch my son lead the team out on the field for warm-up and then watch hiim and two other young men (all three I coached when they were in youth football) walk to the center of the field as captains.

Even this year, we follow the teams progress. They are in the semi-finals of State playoffs.

When is this game???? It might be fun to go and watch!

#5 2009-11-24 11:03:15

Larry...10:00am...at Bourne High School on Thanksgiving morning. 

HS football definately doesn't have the same impact or following in Massachusetts that many other areas of the country posses.  One thing Mass does have that most other areas of the country have is THANKSGIVING MORNING HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!

Despite two relatively small schools, this rivarly is one of the oldest in the state, had produced NFL players and often has meant that the winner moves onto the Mass HS Super Bowl and now playoffs.

Like many, I've seen Spillane Field at FULL capacity with people many deep lined along both endzones, the bleachers at standing room only and the visitors side chock full...same in Bourne.

This game has been played in snow, in rain and in freezing cold.  It is a great way to spend Thanksgiving morning and I encourage everyone to attend and support your local HS team.

Go Vikings.

#6 2009-11-24 11:08:25

The only year I was home for Thanksgiving when I was in the Marine Corps, I went to the Wareham/Bourne game at Thanksgiving time at our Wareham High School stadium.
I remember I was in uniform, because we were required to travel in uniform in those days.
As I started to reach the gate to go into the game, the National Anthem started playing. I held my ground, snapped to, and saluted in the direction I knew that flag was in.
A young boy, probably 6 or 7, started to walk past me.
His father snatched him and made him stand straight and still. He admonished him by saying, "You don't ever walk in front of a Marine when he is saluting the colors."
After the song finished, I walked over to the boy and shook his hand. I also shook his father's hand and thanked him for the respect.
I wonder how many people even know the courtesy that the man showed that day in today's society.
I also often wondered if that day had an effect on the young man. I'll bet he never forgot it.
I know I never will.

#7 2009-11-24 11:18:02

By the way..game is at 10:30...not 10:00 as I mentioned eariler.

This is the 79th meeting between the two schools.  Wareham holds a 50-27-1 lead in the series.

And....the bar at the Trading Post which is walking distance to Bourne HS opens at 8:00am or earlier..another great tradition!!

#8 2009-11-24 12:36:56

We used to have a huge bonfire before the Wareham/Bourne Thanksgiving Day game at the high school.
Bourne would sneak over to set our bonfire on fire early to destroy our rally, and we did the same thing.
I remember one year, I believe it may have been 1962, Jimmy Crowley, Buzzy Lindsey and a couple of others of us snuck down to Bourne.
Jimmy Crowley was very good at archery. We soaked some gas rags and wrapped them around arrows, waited until only a few kids were left guarding the bonfire ( we had guards at ours also).
We were scared, because if you got caught, those guards would chase you and beat the hell out of you if they found you.
We set the arrows with rags on fire, Jimmy fired three shots (only one hit), and we ran like hell.
I don't believe we ever set their bonfire on fire, but, we sure did have a hell of a time and a story forever.
Go VIKINGS!!

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-11-24 15:38:49)

#9 2009-11-24 14:21:35

There also used to be an oversized crow that made its' way back and forth between Wareham Fire Dept. and Bourne Fire Dept. Whichever town lost the game found the crow sitting in front of it's fire station the next morning. The crow would reside in the fire station for the year, in plain sight until the next game.
At one time the Wareham Boosters Club used to sponsor a pancake breakfast before the game if the game was at home. The Boosters Club was a wonderful group of people who supported all of the Wareham sports teams and who raised large amounts of money over the years for the sports program of Wareham.
If any of them are still alive, they must be beside themselves with incredulous wonderment that anyone could condemn a group of people who's only  interest is to support this town by raising funds and using those funds to provide things the town itself isn't able to fund.
Now everyone is reluctant to step up to the plate, get involved, or donate for fear of being accused of misappropriation of funds, embezzlement, having an improper non profit organization or having a devious intent.
Both the Boosters Club and the Monday Club are missed. They were a strong part of our community. Those were the days, Dan. I too, remember the night that Lenny Lopes' car caught on fire and he died. It was a sad day for Warehem.

Last edited by Maturevoter (2009-11-24 14:23:51)

#10 2009-11-24 15:08:55

I was having a conversation with my son about a week ago. I told how much I missed coaching football, basketball, and wrestling. My son, being one of my former pupils, said he would enjoy coaching WITH me. I know that when my daughter's playing days were over, she was my assistant coach  for my basketball teams. So, look out Wareham, maybe we can snag a Pop Warner team next year and impart our years of experience on these fine young men!

I think we should all get involved!

#11 2009-11-24 15:27:30

We got a bunch of blue and white paint one night before the big game and drove over to Bourne High School.  Under the dark of night and with very little artistic ability, we painted a giant "W" on the 50 yard line.

It then snowed about 10 inches overnight and the game was postponed until Saturday...so much for the big "surprise".

#12 2009-11-25 01:29:38

Maturevoter wrote:

There also used to be an oversized crow that made its' way back and forth between Wareham Fire Dept. and Bourne Fire Dept. Whichever town lost the game found the crow sitting in front of it's fire station the next morning. The crow would reside in the fire station for the year, in plain sight until the next game.
At one time the Wareham Boosters Club used to sponsor a pancake breakfast before the game if the game was at home. The Boosters Club was a wonderful group of people who supported all of the Wareham sports teams and who raised large amounts of money over the years for the sports program of Wareham.
If any of them are still alive, they must be beside themselves with incredulous wonderment that anyone could condemn a group of people who's only  interest is to support this town by raising funds and using those funds to provide things the town itself isn't able to fund.
Now everyone is reluctant to step up to the plate, get involved, or donate for fear of being accused of misappropriation of funds, embezzlement, having an improper non profit organization or having a devious intent.
Both the Boosters Club and the Monday Club are missed. They were a strong part of our community. Those were the days, Dan. I too, remember the night that Lenny Lopes' car caught on fire and he died. It was a sad day for Warehem.

I don't ever remember the crow you speak of.  Maybe I was just a little kid.  Seriously, what years did they have this oversized crow?  Yes, the pancake breakfasts, the Monday Club dances for 50 cents on Sat. nights.  I remember getting a small portable tape recorder and Lenny Lopes took it into the locker room where the guys were getting ready for practice.  He rushed it back to me before my bus came and told me to listen to it at home.  Don't tell me something like that ~ I listened to it on the bus, turned way down low.  I shut it off and listened a little more at home.  It was some of the dirtiest talk and talk about different girls, how they were going to tear apart the next weeks team, etc.  No one knew it was on so it was not easy to pick every conversation out.  The next day Lenny asked me where my tape recorder was and I told him it was home and was going to stay there. (I had permission to use it for a lecture class that day).   Lenny's death was a tragedy.  His name still comes up in conversations to this day.  He'll never be forgotten by those of us who knew him.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2009-11-25 01:31:08)

#13 2009-11-25 07:23:05

The Thanksgiving day game was the culmination of a week-long contest called "spirit week"..each class (year of graduation) would be assigned a different hallway in the High School, which would then be decorated using a different theme..

The night before Thanksgiving, a parade would form behind Cornwell's..led through Town by a firetruck, the Coaches and Players would ride in the backs of pickup trucks en route to Spillane field..

The "rally" would include speeches by  the School Administrator, the Athletic Director, the Football Coach, etc...each class would then perform a skit, generally based on how they decorated their hallway..a 'spirit queen" would be chosen, along with "spirit princesses"!

Growing up in this Town, we were taught about pride..it was instilled in us to represent our Community as best we could, as well as our families..Is it any wonder that we are dissatisfied with our current leaders and that asshole Slager, who make us a laughing stock??

I ,for one, continue to be proud to say I'm from Wareham!

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and GO VIKINGS!!!!

#14 2009-11-25 09:57:29

My hallway them would be "rediscovering spirit"!!  Where did all of those traditions go??  Why is there no booster club (WAA aside)?  Why is there no parade? 

I'm sure the kids at school are psyched about the game and their families will get into the spirit but it just isn't the same.  There was a day when almost every kid in school went to the EVERY football game...in fact, there were buses for those that wanted to go to the away games. 

Happy Thanksgiving and Go Vikings!!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com