#1 2009-11-21 09:17:42

The Friends of the Wareham Free Library are still trying to raise money for the library. The cookbooks have finally arrived. Many of you from this blog submitted recipes to the cookbook. Many thanks for that.

The cookbooks will be on sale at the library on December 5 at our Holiday Sale from 9:30 to1:30 pm.  We will also have a fun multiple prize winning raffle, our famous cookie sale, plus gifts and holiday bows for sale.  Cookbooks will also be on sale at the Circulation Desk beginning Tuesday.

Cookbooks sell for the low price of $10 and will make a nice Thanksgiving host/hostess gift or a great Christmas present. We ordered 500 (that's how many we sold of our first edition!!) so please help us out with this fund raising effort.

Some sad news from the Friends: this year, 123 of our members did not renew their membership. Usually, each year we lose only 5-10 members for non-renewal.  Could this be because of the bad and false press we have received this year? Or could it be the tough financial times?  Who knows. But this has never happened before in the past 15 years.  In fact, we usually get new memberships,  not lose old. This year we got only 6 new memberships. Very sad for us and for the library since all membership money is used to support library literacy programs, purchase paper and office supplies, computers, furniture, and of course books, whatever the library needs.

Membership for seniors is only $5. Individual memberships are $10. Family memberships are $25. Sponsors can join for $50 and Friends Forever can join for $100.  If you are not a member but would like to become one, pick up a membership form at the library (when you are there to purchase your cookbook!!!)

Thanks to all our supporters now, and our future supporters!!!

#2 2009-11-21 10:06:19

Can't stop laughing. I did the math twice and the number really is 123!!! I also got a message from the Friends president who said there was one membership renewal in the mail yesterday. So now we have only lost 122 members!!! That sounds better doesn't it?  Some of you might have thought I'd lost it! (We had 396 members and were down to 273; now we have 274).

Talk about a bizarre coincidence!!  Thinking that the 123 might all be on a certain "list" of criminals?? Some of the non-renewals are names of people VERY involved in the town and current town government!!  I wasn't surprised to see they did not renew. I was surprised to see that some of our faithful, long time members gave up on us.  Who is hurt in all this? The taxpayer patrons of the library.

Hope my little message brought you a chuckle in this time of dysfunctional despair in our little town by the sea!!

#3 2009-11-21 11:00:35

Thanks for the info Nora. I'm sure many people from this site will be there to get the cookbook or cookbooks. $10.00 is a great price and good for all those people who are in gift exchanges and have a limit of $20.00 for a gift. Maybe everyone on the site who has not joined the friends will do so when they pick up their cookbooks. Good luck with the sale Nora.

#4 2009-11-21 11:04:22

I just got an email from someone who bought a cook book and told me how nice it was to see a photo of Dick Wheeler in his kayak on the back cover!!!

The Friends thought it was fitting since Dick raised approximately $65,000 last year at this time kayaking around our 54 mile coastline in this windy, cold weather.  As you all know, $20,000 of that money was a "gift" (that went through the proper municipal  gifting process of being voted on for acceptance by the BoS) to pay for salaries for the staff so the library could return to 40 hours from the reduced 25 hours of operation.

The other $45,000 was spent on books and materials as required by state law for library certification. Marcia Griswold has copies of ALL those book invoices that were paid with privately raised dollars (not tax dollars. All books purchased with taxpayer dollars are paid for through the town accountant who has all the invoices of previously purchased library books!!) Sorry if I repeat myself. But some things just need to be said.

So here is a special shout out to Dick Wheeler. Thanks again for your devotion to the library cause.

I also didn't mention that this cookbook is dedicated to Mary Jane Pillsbury for her many years of loyalty, management and passion for the creation of and operation of what was, under her watch, one of the finest libraries in all of Massachusetts (according to SAILS, SEMLS, other local libraries, and the MBLC).

#5 2009-11-21 11:26:22

You know I am going to buy a couple cookbooks! Now that I know Dick is on the back cover, I will be even more excited to pass this information on to others! Folks, cookbooks are a timeless gift! I still have cookbooks from my  mother and grandmother. I even have a German cookbook from my years in Germany.

Pass the word around and get people out to by this cookbook! 

Oh, for those who want the perfect holiday treat, try the Red Velvet Cake Recipe and add little green sprinkles on the icing!

#6 2009-11-21 16:44:38

I hear there is a very special ham recipe in there too. (I know salty) But hey we only live once!!

#7 2009-11-21 19:02:04

Anyone who wants to wow their guests need only prepare the sesame terriyaki chicken wings, goes great with white wine!

#8 2009-11-22 09:22:53

I picked up my copy of thee Friends' cookbook yesterday and it is wonderful.  Nora Bicki and Kathy Gleason did such a terrific job putting this book together.  I will be making at least one of the cookie recipes for the Friends' Holiday Fair December 5th.  I saw that great ham recipe.  If you are looking for a easy great dip try the Pepperoni Dip, it has my name on it but is actually my Mom's along with the Lobster Sauce Chinese style, which is better than most resturants.
Priscilla Porter

#9 2009-11-22 11:01:26

There is a great spicey cheesy southern dip recipe that is great for football parties :

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com