#1 2009-11-17 15:59:32

These are the pics from Larry&daGnomey of the Salt/Sand Shed (click pics to zoom):

Larry McDonald wrote:

Today my wife went by the Town Barn (dropping off brush) and noticed heavy equipment going in a dilapated building. She asked and was told it was the Salt Barn. The salt barn is in bad shape. The support beams and cross beams are cracked and the building leans and sways. When she asked about repairing it, she was told the ITA refused because the town didn't have the money. She took pictures and took them to the ITA. Seriously folks, this building is dangerous!  Instead of spending all our money on witch hunt audits and legal expenses, we should be taking care of our employees and assets!
One of the favorite speeches by our Selectmen is how "everyone should be accountable". It should go the same for them. Our town is severly in the hole financially while our Chairman incurs more legal expense to see if he can somehow put two defeated issues on the April ballot.??? How is this fiscally responsible?  We are in the process of copying hard drives again, which will likely lead to another firm coming in to read the drives. Meanwhile, our town assets are in bad shape and dangerous to employees. Enough already!

I have pictures, but am not sure how to include them.

people, we need to demand accountability from our elected officials and ITA

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-17 22:51:54)

#2 2009-11-17 16:06:42

I can't believe these. Isn't this a safety code violation? Our workers should NOT enter this building. If one of them gets hurt the town is responsible, and should be, of course. We certainly don't need a worker hurt or the town paying more money when it doesn't have it.

But really, maybe the bos should be more concerned with the safety of our employees than with who is skimming copy machine money.

#3 2009-11-17 17:18:03

molly i agree.... not only is it town employees its the public if you go to drop off brush you are by this building...

click on the pics to see the supports cracked and most of them are broken not just the side but the roof also..i was holding my breath driving past..

#4 2009-11-17 18:06:08

Update: The building inspector visited this afternoon. I do not know the disposition of that visit, but I know that an Angry Gnome visited the Town Hall today and was told by the ITA to put her request in writing. She left the pictures with him and walked down to the Building Inspector's office with another set of pictures. Apparently the Building Inspector saw the importance and visited.

#5 2009-11-17 18:28:06

The next town building is currently employed, funny enough, to stable emergency vehicles.

Once home to Wareham's Poor House, last time I looked it was also ready to fall.

http://buzzardsbay.net/WarehamPD/thumb/Wareham.PD.2007-04-11-Wed-02-08-45-pm.jpg

Wareham PD 
2007-04-11Wed 02:08:pm

Last edited by billw (2009-11-17 18:36:25)

#6 2009-11-17 18:46:06

And yet we want to spend money on MORE legal opinions and MORE computer audits. It is all about accountability. Can't wait until all the citizens start holding the Selectmen accountable.

#7 2009-11-17 19:17:09

GWB

Bill W. Just a minor correction. Though I agree that the building pictured is in disrepair it is only being used as a maintenance and storage building for the P.D. at this point. All E.M.S. services and equipment are in the E.M.S. Building on Sandwich Road.

#8 2009-11-17 19:21:06

Bill, when I was a hundred years younger, Eddie Ames (father of Lynda) was the tree warden.  I think this was his building or at least his building was back there.  I also remember the dog pound being there.  Probably not the same building.  Of course, this was before the police station was built and the other building there was the Chamber of Commerce building, which was relocated to Weaver St. probably 25 years ago.  I do remember that the EMT's were always at Morse Lumber and it was my understanding that they were fixing up the building.  The garage doorway gave them just over an inch or so on each side of the rescue truck when they backed it in, from what I was told.

So you say this original building was in South Wareham?  Did you get the postcard?

#9 2009-11-17 20:52:08

That building was partly the dog pound. Mrs. Campbell, "Soupy" Campbell's wife was in charge. The police station was built and that building was in back.

#10 2009-11-17 21:35:01

danoconnell wrote:

That building was partly the dog pound. Mrs. Campbell, "Soupy" Campbell's wife was in charge. The police station was built and that building was in back.

Oh, Mrs. Campbell.   I had forgotten her.  I was right and they did share the building.  I remember hearing the dogs barking some nights.  I remember going to the chamber building many times to visit someone who worked there.  Can't remember who, now.  It was almost 50 years ago. Oh God, I'm so old.  I also remember trees and tall grass by the building out back.

#11 2009-11-17 21:54:25

I cant get over the condition of that building!  If that shed if for salt storage, then it is used year round by employees.  Usually in late summer I assume they use it to mix the sand and salt and in the winter the machines are entering it on a regular basis.  If one of those machines move the pile enough it will knock the wall down and most likely kill the employee in the machine. 
PURE BULLSHIT Mr. Sanguinet and BOS.  60K for a stupid audit, hundreds of thousands in legal cost overruns, funding cat and mouse games and the crap just continues with these assholes!  Sanguinet, as a taxpayer helping to fund you and your puppeteers stupidity, its time to cut the strings and grow a set.   I would call the fire department or the state fire marshals office to inspect the building also.

#12 2009-11-17 22:43:55

wareham pride wrote:

I cant get over the condition of that building!  If that shed if for salt storage, then it is used year round by employees.  Usually in late summer I assume they use it to mix the sand and salt and in the winter the machines are entering it on a regular basis.  If one of those machines move the pile enough it will knock the wall down and most likely kill the employee in the machine. 
PURE BULLSHIT Mr. Sanguinet and BOS.  60K for a stupid audit, hundreds of thousands in legal cost overruns, funding cat and mouse games and the crap just continues with these assholes!  Sanguinet, as a taxpayer helping to fund you and your puppeteers stupidity, its time to cut the strings and grow a set.   I would call the fire department or the state fire marshals office to inspect the building also.

I believe the salt is delivered by truck,  which would have to back in to unload.
It's is my understanding that during winter, a loader takes a bucket of salt to the sander (outside of the bldg.) and adds usually 2-3 buckets of sand to the salt already in the sander.  Thankfully, the loader is built with a roll bar to withstand such a hit and the cab should not crush.  On the other hand - there is no protection for anything (a beam) that could enter the cab, via window or door.  I am not saying that the salt isn't mixed with sand in the building, but most towns don't do it that way.  A call to Municipal Maintanence would provide the answer.  I am in no way defending the condition of this building.  I agree 100% with Wareham Pride, Larry and our Angry Gnome that this building is in a deplorable state.  It doesn't look fixable and where is the money to come from even if it is?  The Onset Pier Parking Meter Fund, again?  There can't be much left in there.  Apparently, by the outside photos, workers have tried to patch, here and there.  Mark Gifford, why did you let this get to this point?  Sorry, Mark, if you tried and no one listened, but then you needed to call the S-Times' Steve Urban.

Look around town people.  Our town properties look messy.  Scrape and paint - it's a protector.  What happened to community service?  The Sheriff's Dept. to pull the weeds between the sidewalks and streets (some 10" high).  If we had people of character, with pride in their town,  sitting in the Selectmen's seats, we would have the funding needed to repair and replace.  But no, these pompous asses would rather waste our hard earned $s on frivolous law suits, computer audits and the list goes on.

The pictures of the salt barn made me sick.  Seeing what went on tonight is making me sicker.  I feel like I have hit rock bottom, like I've been kicked in the gut.  I need some time to sort this out.  I will be back and I will be ready to "write" for the fight to TAKE WAREHAM BACK.

#13 2009-11-18 23:12:14

If nothing else, is it possible these days to request a fire inspection to be done. From what I recall, they aren't actually town employees (Fire District) so they have nothing to fear with retribution. While the provisions of structural defects would still be under the building inspectors purview, it would be pretty neat to see if the fire inspector requires the town to post the building as unsafe......

From 527 CMR, Section 10.13 (7)
https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/661_527_cmr_-_10.jpg

I sure as heck wouldn't go in there during normal conditions and obviously they (firefighters) probably wouldn't go in if it were on fire.....but perception ....... nah forget about that. These people obviously don't care about perception!

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#14 2009-11-18 23:39:09

We all know how the winter weather gets around here..and my guess is, when it's at it's worst is probably when that building has it's most activity..Being that they, I guess, store, mix..whatever, salt..then my other guess is that leads to quicker "deterioration" of the structure. All signs point to danger. Thanks to daGnome and Larry for bringing this up. Somebody (else probably) should have. Let's hope someone's "working it". Do we need to gang together "Amish Community Style" and throw up a new building ourselves??

Entropy.."Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society."

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-18 23:41:39)

#15 2009-11-20 07:40:49

The interesting thing about all this is, we are going to need the salt more now than ever.  With the town only plowing at accumulations over 4", we're going to need alot of salt to melt the frozen mess than never gets plowed due to the 4" policy.

Another interesting observation about the salt shed - they need to get in there during storms naturally, when there's a snow load on that compromised roof.  I for one wouldn't want to be anywhere near that building when that roof is loaded.  It wouldn't surprise me that the salt has weakened all the fasteners holding the trusses together.  The front end loader had better step gingerly or the whole house of cards is going to come tumbling down, so to  speak.

#16 2009-11-20 13:35:03

GWB wrote:

Bill W. Just a minor correction. Though I agree that the building pictured is in disrepair it is only being used as a maintenance and storage building for the P.D. at this point. All E.M.S. services and equipment are in the E.M.S. Building on Sandwich Road.

I took those pictures a couple years ago now but the fact is, there's more to this story.

http://buzzardsbay.net/WarehamPD/thumb/Wareham.PD.2007-04-11-Wed-02-16-41-pm.jpg

Wareham PD
2007-04-11 Wed 02-16-41pm

The ancient and neglected EMS barn - formerly the "Tree Barn", and before that, the "Town Farm's" barn - was inspected by Boston authorities in the late 50s, who discovered no running water. Tree Department men were peeing out back. When they needed to flush chemical residue off their hands, they employed the Chamber of Commerce building, where the Police Dept is now. The Chamber Pot, get it?

The story gets worse, a genuine Rachel Carson nightmare.

DDT was then the pesticide of choice for every town's mosquito spray campaign and malathion was liberally applied for most other tree lunching pests. Wareham wasn't unique. As health risks evidence mounted, men working with trees began to wear masks and gloves and took washing precautions.

The chemicals were absorbed into their systems over time. Some, here and elsewhere, were diagnosed with polycythemia (the reverse of leukemia) and hobbled by blood disorders for the rest of their lives.

Wareham Selectmen simply directed Maintenance crews to dig holes, dispose of leftover liquid and bury the 'empty' DDT barrels wherever convenient. Remember, at the time, no one had a clue about toxicity or that maybe leafy, off road dump sites were not such a good idea.

True, in recent years, Wareham's Selectmen were warned. Repeatedly. And those warnings were uniformly ignored. Save a few bucks, right? Now, of course, those long since developed dump sites have hundreds of people living, working and playing directly above them, none the wiser.

If I were a Wareham cop, I'd seriously wonder what-all's buried beneath their cruiser parking lot.

Last edited by billw (2009-11-20 13:45:52)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com