#1 2009-11-16 14:55:06

I thought I'd write the truth about how books are purchased at the library and why the crazy and false allegations that the Friends used book sale was part of the great embezzlement scheme could  not possibly be true.

According to the tabloid writer: "As much as $1.5 million was embezzled from the library during that time period in order to replenish the money given back to donors. This was done several ways. Some of the money came from "used" book sales sponsored by the Wareham Free Library. Many of those books were not "used," however. They came off the selves (sic) at the Wareham Free Library, many just purchased with money from the library budget. To cover her tracks, Pillsbury reordered those books in the next budget cycle. She then simply stopped keeping inventory records of individual books purchased with taxpayer money by the library." From the online site posted Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 10:52 am.

To begin with, all used book sales at the library have been sponsored and operated by the Friends of the WFL, Inc.  It is just my word and the word of the many members who worked the sales over the years that we never sold "new" books taken from the library shelves at our sale.  What is easily disproved is the idea that "She [MJP] then simply stopped keeping inventory records of individual books purchased with taxpayer money by the library." Also easily disproved is the claim that "many [books] just purchased with money from the library budget" were involved in any aspect of this "alleged" scheme.

Here is where the story breaks down. You would have to know how bills are paid by town departments to understand why this could never have happened.  Each dept. sets a budget with line items such as --heat, electricity, salaries, library books and materials, and so on depending on the department.  When the bill comes to the library for books that were ordered, the library staff in charge of that task, checks the invoice for accuracy, then sends the bill to town hall to the town accountant who pays the bill from the library account. It's not like Mary Jane Pillsbury (or any department head for that matter) had a big checkbook filled with taxpayer money!!! No, all of that inventory would have been recorded by the town's accountant when the bill was paid since the invoices HAVE to be sent over to the accountant for the bill to be paid at all.

Also, each book that is ordered, paid for by the accountant out of the taxpayer dollars from the library budget, and put on the shelf is entered into the computer system managed by SAILS, the inter-library loan service that is used to check out books, put books on hold etc. So, in fact, there is an incontrovertible inventory record of "individual books purchased with taxpayer money by the library." 

Since no books can be paid with taxpayer money without said books being paid for from the library budget out of town hall, this whole book buying and selling "at cut rate prices to private residents outside of organized book sales" then " reordered those books in the next budget cycle" which would be taxpayer dollars again, simply does not wash.

The devil is in the details. And that is where all these lies will break down. Remember, "more than $3 million was laundered from the Wareham Free Library."   There has yet to be introduced any solid evidence that proves that even one penny, or rather, one tenth of one nickel was "laundered." 

The great irony is that for all the years I worked at the book sales (over 15 now, at least) the technical services librarians would scour the donations before the sales for new books that they could put ONTO the shelves, thus saving the library budget money and freeing up money to buy other books. Just a couple of weeks ago I gave the tech. services librarian a brand new copy of a popular mystery novel that had been donated to the book sales to put into the system and onto the shelves. On a regular basis, the Friends get a list of books the tech services librarian is looking for to replace old or damaged copies of books in the system to SAVE the library money. When the Friends come across any of those books in the donations, they come out of the sale and go to the library for circulation TO the taxpayers!! Anyone working with the sales--Trustee, staff or Friend, knows this to be true. You can imagine how puzzled I am to learn from the tabloid that two Trustees and one Friend have all sworn that this is true!!!

Before you believe one word of the "embezzlement scheme" demand proof that any of it happened. The burden of proof is never on the accused. Let the accuser deliver his proof to the proper authorities if he is so fearful of putting it in his paper. I know for a fact that there is no proof.

#2 2009-11-16 16:24:04

Nora,

I can sure understand why you are upset. The tabloid publisher has no idea how a library is run.

In our town library which is comparable to yours the public copy machines are run the same way as Warehams.

Also in our library the book sale has always worked exactly as you describe.

The record keeping of all book purchases and all circulated materials inventory  is thorough, strict and redundant.

"Many of those books were not "used," however. They came off the selves (sic) at the Wareham Free Library, many just purchased with money from the library budget. To cover her tracks, Pillsbury reordered those books in the next budget cycle. She then simply stopped keeping inventory records of individual books purchased with taxpayer money by the library."

Just how much did these alleged new books from the shelves sell for? In the library in our town all hardbound books sell for $2.00, paperbacks for $1.00. Many libraries have a preview night for the Friends where they can really get bargains being the first to review the many boxes of books and grab the pick of the crop.

So we have under the table paybacks from donations, nickels and dimes from copy machines, and now a librarian selling almost new books for a tenth their cost...

If libraries were such a scheme-worthy way to launder money it seems to me we'd have heard of them being used in this way elsewhere.

#3 2009-11-16 16:59:05

Nora, didn't you guys have bubblegum machines in there? You probably cleared another 500K right there!!

...I TOTALLY appreciate what your doing, and HATE that you need to do it.

Thanks for all you've done and continue to do..In you and Bobo we have examples of what not to be (Bobo)..and well, the reverse. Thanks for being the good one : )

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-16 17:01:25)

#4 2009-11-16 17:21:24

urneighbor, you are right about the prices on the book sales.

Most hardcovers go for $1.

Better quality and popular author hardcovers go for $2.

Some few go for $3 or $4. A rare book on an interesting topic (like an art book) goes for $5.

Most paperbacks sell for 25 cents.

Better quality or popular paperbacks go for $1.

All children's books are 25 cents.

I've hauled a lot of books over the years and have had the back aches to prove it. But the cause was good and that made all the difference.

Thanks for weighing in on what other libraries do. Anyone who knows anything about how libraries are run would fall over laughing at the allegations made in the tabloid!!!

P-Span, if we charged $1,000,000 per piece of bubblegum, we'd only have to sell three pieces to hit the money laundering amount!!  Actually, bubble gum, food and drink is a no-no in libraries in case of damage to those "hot" books!

Thanks all for cheering me up. Some days are harder than others.

#5 2009-11-16 17:37:02

MORE PROOF THAT SLAGER IS A LIAR.

#6 2009-11-16 18:04:44

Nora (and urneighbor), are they still doing those book sales...sounds like a bargain. I had no idea..If so, let us know when..I have a few I could donate..and get some good stuff cheap too!

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#7 2009-11-16 18:18:59

Nora
I want to remind you and others that until recent history the used book sales were done only once a year for a week in July.  Then we experimented with doing them twice a year and finally realized that with all the donations coming in we could do them monthly or what we finally did do was about 10 used book sales a year.  I don't know how we could have made all the money we are being accused of having with yearly used book sales.  The used book sales are the main source of income for the Friends. Like you I am tired of bing accused of doing wrong things.  I saw the movie the American Preisdent yesterday and it remined me of what is happening in Wareham today.  In a speach Michael Douglas makes as president says that th man running agiainst him doesn't care if you have problems he is just going to tell you who to blame.  That is what is happening here and the library is cause of all our problems in town or so we are told.  We should be giving our attention to the April elections, the dept. heads that have little of no leadership, etc.  We need to focus our attention on what is important for our town.  I don't like being accused of wrong doing, but that is what has happened because I have been involved in the library since 1988 so that puts me front and center.
Priscilla Porter

Last edited by emma6782 (2009-11-16 18:20:56)

#8 2009-11-16 19:00:35

"There are brand new books at the Book Sale !!   Sound the alarm!    Call the Cops ! Red Alert ! May Day !"

Wanna hear  somethin' funny?     .....

John Wylde LIVED for Gateman Baseball.   We both joked about our "depressions" when the season ended. "How are we going to get through the winter!?", we'd  ask each other...

Part of John's survival plan was reading......Serious, all day long  reading ....Almost a book-a day reading. Combine that with a guy who hated the small print of paperbacks, and  who had a few coins left over after he'd bought his groceries, and you have the reason why there  are...or maybe it's "used to be" ...books that appear to be "new" at the WFL book sales.  He devoured the best  new books about world problems; he loved good historical fiction; he was a Civil War scholar; and there 's no one i'Ve ever met who was as up-to-date on the  latest works of the best Murder Mystery writers of the world.

John Wylde dealt with this wholesome  winter therapy  predictably. To buy a hard cover book that you are only going to read once  and then save it might make sense for someone who reads, say 20 hard covers a year., but here's guy who was surpassing that every month!    John's practical and generous nature made him pass them on so that he didn't have to store them and so that they could be read by others..

There are very few people in the world who could turn that into a  three million dollar scandal.....but we've got 'em folks! 

Perhaps this an appropriate time to interject that our BOS  officials do not "darken the door" of WFL....Not only do they not read the stuff that comes in their weekly packets....they don't read...period !

I'll "hit" you again with that great Mark Twain line.....roll it around a bit before you swallow it to get the full flavor: "A person who won't read has no advantage over someone who can't read."

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2009-11-16 19:02:42)

#9 2009-11-16 19:10:47

Nora,
This has to be the most unsettling time for you. Please know that there are good people in Wareham who do appreciate all that you and the other members of the Firends of the Library have done.

#10 2009-11-16 19:43:31

P-Span -

Bubble gum machines in a library, now THAT would be a scandal.

Next thing your tabloid will headline is "Outer space alien corpses hidden in library sub-basement vault".

#11 2009-11-16 20:59:27

"Breaking news - a gang of rogue librarians kidnapped the Easter Bunny and held him for ransom in the library basement, slapping him upside his bunny head with an ill-gotten copy of War and Peace if he got out of line - Film at 11"

#12 2009-11-16 21:27:08

Dick,
I wasn't going to mention John Wylde, but since you did I can tell you that the tech. services librarian would get John's donations of brand new books when he finished reading them. The Friends rarely got to put his books in the sale unless there were already copies in the system!!

They were always hard covers and he had a love of mysteries. Even near the end when he was very ill, he made it to the library when we had Archer Mayor, the Brattleboro VT mystery writer in as a guest speaker. The author autographed his copy.

Almost all of his donations went directly into the collection and onto the shelves for the citizens of Wareham to borrow from the library. That saved the library money and freed up the book budget to buy more books. It was a great system. We all miss John who was one of this town's greatest philanthropists and supporters who was treated badly by this BoS and by the local tabloid writer over Spillane field.

And Priscilla is right. For most of the time 1995-2005, the Friends only did the annual book sale in July. It was only in the last few years that we did them monthly.  Just another bit of TRUTH to disprove the Friends book sale as part of the money laundering scheme.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com