#1 2009-11-11 21:58:02

Hi Everyone:
I want to encourage everyone who has children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, neighbors, etc to please get them the H1N1 vaccine.
Over the weekend my daughter became ill with what the doctors believed was "probable H1N1". She had the high fever (104.2), congestion, stomach ache, etc. However, her lungs sounded clear so we were sent home from the ER with the usual Tylenol and Motrin for fever.
The following day she began vomitting, her fever would not break so I took her to her pediatrician. The pediatrician prescribed Tamiflu, and the Tylenol/Motrin regimine. Once again, her lungs sounded clear.
That afternoon my daughter began to really complain about the stomach ache she had been complaining about for two days, she was in so much pain she curled up on her bed and screamed.
Unbeknownest to me, stomach ache is a common complaint in children w/pnuemonia. I called her pediatrician who still suspected the stomach ache was related to the vomitting, but because of the risk of dehydration the doctor admitted her to the hospital and ordered a chest x-ray to be on the safe side. It took almost a full day for the x-ray to be read but it only confirmed what I already knew in my heart (and what the blood work had already suggested), my daughter had H1N1 with the pnuemonia complication.
I have never been more terrified in my life, this is what is killing perfectly healthy children. Fortunately my persistance paid off and I encourage all parents and caregivers to be persistant, no one knows better than you.
This virus is a terrible illness, my daughter became extremely ill and I feared for her.....
I am sharing this story because I want to encourage everyone to take precautions, I do not want any other family to go through what we have just been through! My daughter is expected to make a full recovery but that is thanks to her having an excellent doctor who recognized the potential for serious complication early on (after I complained a couple times) and did a battery of tests to be sure she knew what she was dealing with. The first indication of the pnuemonia (as I have said) was not by listening to her lungs, but by her stomach ache and a high white blood cell count, it was a day before an x-ray confirmed the diagnosis.
What everyone can do to prevent the spread of H1N1:
1. Get vaccinated, while I was originally opposed to the vaccine based on media reports, what I learned from the hospital, doctors, CDC, etc is that the vaccine is safe, the virus is not safe.
2. Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands! The virus can live on surfaces for up to 8 hours (CDC).
3. Keep a hand sanitizer with you for when you cannot wash your hands, such as in stores.
4. Do not touch your face, teach children to keep their hands away from their faces (that is a tough one I know!)
5. Once sick stay home, ask a neighbor, friend or family member to pick up anything you need and leave it on the front step. If you must go out wear a face mask.
6. Use products such as bleach and Lysol to kill the flu germs in your home and auto.
I sincerely hope that you will all pass this information along to your own loved ones, and for up to date information on the virus please visit the Centers for Disease Control website which has accurate and reliable information available to answer questions and concerns. Also, talk with your doctor, they are on the front lines of this "battle", but keep in mind as my daughters doctor said today, doctors are not Gods! Ultimately we need to make sure that we bring our concerns to them in a respectful manner if the situation is not improving, we are our own best advocates!
Thanks for reading this post!

#2 2009-11-11 22:29:58

I have been working with a number of public health agencies over the past few months and I can not say more than Cara has said. I am sorry she had to learn from personel experiance. The town ran a health clinic this week for expectant mothers and will run more over the next few weeks contact the healthe dept. for more info. they are working day and night to keep wareham safe and will do what is nesseary to make it work in the town. work with them. Cara thanks for the info I hope it makes others to pay attention and I am praying for your family. I know all will be well. stay safe all.

#3 2009-11-11 22:33:40

Thank God your daughter is on the road to recovery, we will continue to keep her in our prayers.

#4 2009-11-12 09:25:16

Cara, please allow me to add a couple of things to your list.

1. hand washing - yes, but also by any of the health care individuals you encounter. It is not out of place to ask: "did YOU wash your hands?" Even to an MD.

2. Gyms: You are encouraged to wipe down equipment after using it. My observation is that Gyms are lax on this point, so it is equally important to clean the machines BEFORE using them. Gloves might be a good idea, as well.

Here's hoping that your daughter has a speedy recovery.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com