#1 2009-11-06 15:56:32

This is on the Courier site:
WAREHAM - Acting Town Administrator John Sanguinet has rescinded the appointment of Robert Nerbosa as the town’s new library director based on the details surrounding the one-year suspension of Nerbosa’s license to practice law in New York in 1997 after a grievance committee determined he did not act in the best interests of a client who did not wish to plead guilty on burglary and other related charges. Nerbosa repeatedly suggested the client plead guilty. The committee determined Nerbosa had engaged in professional misconduct.

Sanguinet made the announcement Friday, just days after Nerbosa was introduced as the new library director during Tuesday’s Board of Selectmen meeting. In a statement, Sanguinet said he was aware of the issue prior to the appointment and had not informed selectmen about the suspension.

“I chose not to inform the Board of this issue solely on my initial interpolation of the issue and my belief that it has no bearing on Mr. Nerbosa’;s qualifications as a Library Director,” Sanguinet said.

Sanguinet said, though, that his opinion has since changed.

“Based on reports that have recently been brought to my attention, I further reviewed the full disciplinary action taken by the New York Bar Association and believe that at this time it is in the best interest of the Towne to rescind the appointment of Mr. Nerboso,” he wrote.

A Google search of Nerbosa’s name turns up a link to the committee’s full finding. Check back for more on this story.

#3 2009-11-06 16:05:46

Wareham rescinds hiring new library director
Past suspension by New York Bar Association cited

By Steve Urbon
surbon@s-t.com
WAREHAM — The town’s new library director is out of a job just three days after being introduced at the weekly Board of Selectmen’s meeting on Tuesday.

Interim Town Administrator John Sanguinet said in a press release this afternoon that he is rescinding his appointment of Robert Nerboso after reviewing Nerboso’s one-year suspension by the New York Bar Association.

Nerboso, whose mother lives in Plymouth, is now with the Brooklyn Public Library, is both a criminal defense attorney and a librarian. According to information available online, his law license was suspended one year in 1997 for unethical conduct: He was reportedly accused of pressuring a client to plead guilty in a burglary case.

Local bloggers discovered the suspension within hours after Nerboso’s introduction on Tuesday and began criticizing the selection. But Sanguinet wrote that while he knew about the suspension and discussed it with Nerboso during his interviews, he did not inform the Board of Selectmen about it.

“During my negotiations with Mr. Nerboso he made me fully aware of his one-year suspension from the New York Bar Association; he explained the details surrounding this issue and that he had completed an ethics test with the New York Bar and was fully reinstated,” Sanguinet wrote.

He added, “Based on reports that have recently been brought to my attention, I further reviewed the full disciplinary action taken by the New York Bar Association and believe that at this time it is in the best interest of the town to rescind the appointment of Mr. Nerboso. I regret that I need to take this action. However, I have spoken with Mr. Nerboso and made him aware of my decision and he fully understands.”

“Further,” wrote Sanguinet, “I never shared this information with anyone, including the Board of Selectmen. To my knowledge, the Board of Selectmen only became aware of this issue when reports recently surfaced. I chose not to inform the Board of this issue solely on my initial interpretation of the issue and my belief that it has no bearing on Mr. Nerboso’s qualifications as a library director.”

Nerboso was to have started in the Wareham Free Library on Nov. 30. The library has been without a director since the resignation of Susan Pizzolato in June.

#4 2009-11-06 16:51:17

Flyspeck wrote:

Wareham rescinds hiring new library director
Past suspension by New York Bar Association cited

By Steve Urbon
surbon@s-t.com
WAREHAM — The town’s new library director is out of a job just three days after being introduced at the weekly Board of Selectmen’s meeting on Tuesday.

...Local bloggers discovered the suspension within hours after Nerboso’s introduction on Tuesday and began criticizing the selection. But Sanguinet wrote that while he knew about the suspension and discussed it with Nerboso during his interviews, he did not inform the Board of Selectmen about it.

Why is it that I highly doubt that the interim butt monkey knew all the gritty details of Mr. Nerboso's storied past.  I think he was blindsided by us truth bloggers, but he won't admit to that

And not informing the Selectmen about it, not even Sweet Brucey, come on!  This doesn't pass the straight face test.  After all, you even can't be considered for an appointment unless you have a black mark in your past that our illustrious selectmen can exploit to control you.

#5 2009-11-06 17:06:35

Wow.  Just plain wow.

First, I propose that we nominate Bill Whitehouse as town administrator because he has better candidate research and screening skills than ITA Butt Monkey and our board of select-clowns all put together. (Seriously, Bill, you did the town a great service by pointing out the flaws of this candidate).

Second, I repeat.  Wow.  Once again, I am amazed at the staggering incompetence of our brainless board of selectmen and ITA Butt Monkey.  For many reasons:

First, ITABM says he knew of Nerboso's suspension and didn't think it was a problem at first, but now changed his mind?  That's nice of Butt Monkey to let the selectmen throw him under the bus, but I am sure they knew.  If they didn't know, then they are incompetent for voting for a candidate they knew nothing about.  You could tell they knew nothing about the guy they hired Tuesday night.  Cronie said that night was the first night he'd even seen the guy's resume.

Even worse - I smell a gigantic, enormous lawsuit coming for the Town of Wareham over this.  Butt Monkey says that Nerboso told him about the suspension.  If that is true, then Nerboso did his due diligence and didn't try to hide his background during the hiring process.

If Butt Monkey and the BOS thought this was a problem, then they should not have hired him.  But to hire him while they knew about the problem and then rescind the hiring?  That causes the man alot of unneccessary embarrassment and humiliation.  To have a job rescinded gives the guy a proverbial black eye.  Did he quit a job to take this one?  Did he forego other employment offers to take this one?  Has he incurred expenses in planning to move from New York to Wareham? If he is hoping to find a job in the south shore area, that is going to make it harder for him, and he could possibly raise all of this in a possible lawsuit.

Bottomline - they made a contract with the guy.  They offered him a job.  He accepted the job.  They let him travel from New York to Massachusetts and let him give a big public speech about how he can't wait to come to Wareham and get started working at the library.  And then they embarrass him.

And it didn't have to happen - all they had to do is realize from the beginning THAT THE PEOPLE OF WAREHAM KNOW HOW TO GOOGLE!  Had they not hired him, he'd of been saved embarrassment.

They're not dealing with a sap.  This appears to be a skilled an experienced lawyer and former prosecutor and if he wanted to, he could easily file a lawsuit against the town of Wareham. 

More of our tax dollars flushed down the toilet thanks to this incompetent board of selectmen.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-11-06 17:11:26)

#6 2009-11-06 17:27:30

Hamatron5000 wrote:

Wow.  Just plain wow.

...Even worse - I smell a gigantic, enormous lawsuit coming for the Town of Wareham over this.

I agree.  It looks like our professional law school student, Sweet Brucey, is about to get some additional experience in court.

I kind of wonder if Nerboso goggled Wareham, and being of keen legal mind, quickly sized the situation up.  Here's a dysfunctional, poorly run town that I can get a legal settlement out of.  Unbelievable.

Last edited by 128Commuter (2009-11-06 17:28:00)

#7 2009-11-06 18:13:00

Official smeller of Rats, checking in...

I smell a rat.

On tuesday night, I noted that the members of the BoS seemed unfamiliar with the resume of the chosen one, and others have made the same point. Except for one, that is: the chairman seemed quite familiar with and comfortable with the Brooklyn Bum (a reference to a certain baseball team often referred to in those days as "dem bums", no longer playing at Ebbets Field).

Now, the iTA comes forward and says that it was all me, it was my fault, blame me, my bad, etc.

Oh, really? Give me a voice vote, please.

All of the body who think that Brucie's paws are all over this deal from jump street signal by saying "Right on!"

All of the body who think that Brucie stayed above the fray and delegated the whole deal to others, including the iTA, signal by saying "No F-----g Way"

It doesn't appear to be necessary to have an Australian ballot.

This leads to a totally speculative thought. Suppose that Brucie blew it (I know, so hard to believe). suppose that you are an iTA on very thin ice. Would you fall on your sword, ah, make that take a couple of scratches along rectus abdominus muscles in order to guarantee yourself the # 2 position if & when the BoS ever gets around to actually deciding on and appointing an actual TA?

Protect the almighty Brucie, and protect yourself at the same time. A twofer that even Monsieur LeBoBo can't top.

Speaking of the-one-who-must-not-be-read (uh-oh, here comes that bar of Lifebuoy, that was the one with the 'piquant' flavor in the Christmas Story, right Ralphie?), won't it be great fun to see the spin on this one. It may go beyond centrifugal force to G forces. Can't wait

#8 2009-11-06 18:22:46

And another thing,

the newspaper articles this afternoon actually cited THIS BLOG as being a factor in the U-turn seen this week.

Yes, that's all of you, From billW to every one who took the time to research, to post, to think, to discuss; and in the end influence the direction of your local govenment. That's powerful stuff.

So, hat's off to all.

Nice work.

#9 2009-11-06 18:40:37

the spin is out AND HE GETS THE CREDIT
"Interim Town Administrator John Sanguinet has rescinded his offer to Robert Nerboso to become new director of the Wareham Free Library after the Observer reported that Nerboso has been suspended by the Bar Association for a year while serving as a defense attorney in New York."

#10 2009-11-06 18:49:59

I just want to point out that Tuesday night, ITA Saguinet thanks a certain Selectmen (or 2) for sitting in on the interviews. IF that is the case, it is very difficult to say "the selectmen knew nothing". Again, more words that don't match what actually happened.

Watch the replay of Tuesday night's meeting.

#11 2009-11-06 18:55:09

Notalawyer...
I wish you would PM me to tell me who you are...I must know you..
I love your posts, and I consider you to be a genius and someone we could not survive without, like Common, Bill W, PShootter, Dick Wheeler, et.al.
I know I left specific names out. I apologize.. I am old!

#12 2009-11-06 21:13:49

One wonders what the community thinks as our precious library circles the bowl...where is everybody?!   When the doors slam shut once and for all, what will we do then?  Shouldn't others, besides a handful of faithfuls, be demanding something better for the library that was once the best in the region, and still needs to function as a resource and refuge for many of our citizens, young and old alike? 

A year ago Dick Wheeler was paddling along our shores, doing his own marathon EACH DAY into December  so we could have library service.  He stressed himself greatly to get our attention and our donations.  What have we done since then?

We have to demand via emails, calls and letters to the Board that a competent qualified library director is hired immediately. We cannot wait until the new TA is on board.   Have you been in the library lately?  The staff is heroic.     Please email:  selectmen@wareham.ma.us

#13 2009-11-06 21:57:39

The president of the Friends was told by the ITA that he put the "papers" on Nerboso in the selectmens' folders on Monday the 19th of October. There is a 15 day waiting period when the bos can reject the person (I believe that's either in the charter or by-laws). November 3, when the guy was given the big welcome, was day 15.

During those 15 days, the selectmen were perfectly happy with this guy. Why did it take this blog to google the man and find out about his history? Why was it the first time Cronan stated he saw the resume? Very odd all around.

The library needs a strong director with a clean background and experience in MA library systems.  I just wonder what Brenda was doing in Mary Jane P's old office at the computer all afternoon on Wednesday.

#14 2009-11-06 22:07:49

Isn't a selectman being involved in the day-to-day operations of a town department a violation of the Charter?  What is she doing there?

#15 2009-11-07 03:36:38

lets recall this scumbag of a bitch this coming april.

#16 2009-11-07 03:57:03

HOW DARE THIS MEAN ,ILLERATE , EVIL SNAKE DARE SIT IN THE OFFICE OF MARY PILLSBURY  AND SUSANN PIZZALTO, WHAT IS SHE DOING THERE ,SHE HAS NO RITE SITTING IN THAT OFFICE ,SHE IS MORE EVIL AND MORE NASTY  AND EVIL THAN YOU COULD IMAGINE THE DEVIL TO BE. SHE WAS MEAN TO THE DAUGTER IN LAW OF MARY  PILLSBURY  AT A  SELECTMANS MEETING , SHE HAS TO BE RECALLED  AT THIS APRIL ELECTION, WAREHAM NEEDS TO BE  RID OF THIS EVIL SNAKE.

#17 2009-11-07 04:16:57

Now I know why a movie studio is moving next door, we can provide them with a script that goes beyond fantasy. And update it week to week.

And you know what is really regrettable?  We don't need a headline on this blog any  longer, because we know something has gone off track again, all to regularly.

Let me start with two suggestiions, one everybody will undoubtedly applaud and the second, well we will see.

I don't think that the ITA should have appointing authority at this point in his tenure, and as a matter of fact, no administrator should have that authority for some pre-determined period of time prior to their departing. And I would mandate that the Selectmen be informed prior to an offer being made of any legal actions taken against a possible candidate that rises to the level of felony or potential felony and further that the Town also be informed before an offer is made.  And if there is concern about privacy, just tell the candidate that the information will be made public and please sign here authorizing us to do so. Some will say that this interferes with the day to say operations of the town, and yes it does, but in this type of situation, common sense should be the central theme.

Now to the other suggestions, one that will undoubtedly raise one or two eyebrows.  Books are kind of fungible, that is the Harry Potter book that comes to me from Swansea is the same as the one that comes out of Wareham.  And libraries have amongst themselves systems that often replicate themselves town to town, for instance the reservation system SAILS is widely used in our area. And who can forget the Dewey Decimal system-a sign of my age I know!! The point being that in many respects one library is quite similar to another.

So, here is the thought, why not share a director with some nearby town?
Although the police chief situation is unusual, it does give us some idea that such a plan can work.  At a different level, the school districts of Quabbin and North Middlesex started to share a superintendent this summer. And take this to a real extreme, Fairfax County, Virginia has over 100,000 kids in their school system, and builds 2 or 3 new high schools each year, all with one superintendent.  Yes, there are subordinates, much like you would have in industry, but one guy at the top.  And by the way, their test scores are light years ahead of the country as a whole.

Back to the library, we could probably save $30,000 a year in salary and another $5,000 in attendant benefits.  And put someone in place who would hit the ground running, with knowledge of basic systems.

And let me take this even a step further, as management people retire, give consideration to doing the same thing in other departments.  And to be clear, "retire" is the operative word, keep the axe for the Thanksgiving Turkey.

#18 2009-11-07 07:21:26

Shared services are starting to gain ground in many industries. It reduces the cost and as long as the allocation of time is fair, it's a win-win situation.

The problem with introducing it at this time is the clear mismanagement that is going on. The Selectmen have an ITA that is clearly not at the top of his game. The selectmen themselves have given us no reason to trust their judgement or ability to perform at a professional level. Blaming the charter for this type of mistake is another poor excuse.

It has become abundantly clear that NO ONE wants to come and be part of the management of Wareham unless it's their last choice. As with all problems of this size, you need to start at the top (the Selectmen) and then rebuild.

#19 2009-11-07 07:23:38

Wicked Local Update:
Until a new library director is appointed, Council on Aging Director Marcia Griswold will continue as the acting library director.

“I don’t feel this will impact our staff,” Griswold said, adding that staying onboard at the library will be “no problem” for her.

“We’re moving forward, looking for volunteers and providing great service to our many patrons,” she said. “We have a great staff here. It’s a great facility. Everyone is very dedicated and cares deeply.”

Sanguinet said there were several finalists for the position of library director, and that these finalists may be reviewed again.

Sanguinet, along with members of the Board of Selectmen, Griswold and Plymouth Public Library Director Dinah O’Brien, had reviewed the library director applicants for the Wareham Free Library and had conducted the interviews.

Sanguinet said the search for a new library director would probably not begin until a new town administrator has been hired.

“Hopefully, one of the other finalists will be selected,” Donahue said.

MY COMMENTS:
This is unbelievable and unacceptable to me. No impact on the staff? The word around town is that Griswold in never in the library. Of course it will be "no problem" for her. She's getting paid to do what? How would she know how the staff feels about anything?

And if what Sanguinet said it true, the bos, and Griswold WERE in on the interviews. So what does that say about their "superb" management and leadership skills??  GOOGLE people. Google.

And now the library has to wait for a new TA before hiring a library director. The very fact that an important town position has been left vacant for so long is another example of bad management of our town.

Why not do your damn jobs folks and look at the other top candidates that were interviewed? Now I completely understand all those signs that popped up around town---SAVE OUR LIBRARY.

#20 2009-11-07 07:25:52

this is a dumb ass idea , what we need are new selectman who are not visiious , and hateful  and stupid , these types of hires did not happen with previous boards , i also can seeshareing a scholl superintend but not a school teacher or a librian , the wareham free library is in need of help, and not shareing a librian is not the answer, what we need is compident leadership and not selecrman who have run failed bussineses, have gone bankrupt, and we dont need liar newspaper people  who lie and cant run a business.

#21 2009-11-07 07:52:15

I've said it a thousand times, much to the chagrin of many people I admire, Nora being one.
Get government out of the Library business!!
Find a way to break away from the BOS and other government entities controlling the Library system.
Get back to private foundations that are supported by the PEOPLE and leave incompetent, hateful, malicious politicians out of it.

#22 2009-11-07 08:08:38

Further Wicked Local Update:
Bruce Sauvageau, chairman of the Board of Selectmen, told The Standard-Times that rescinding the appointment "was the appropriate thing to do."

"The library at this time really can't afford another ethics cloud, if you will. And although I was very impressed with his background and his professional experience and his demeanor, once I found out about the disbarment it just gave me a grave concern that we just couldn't afford more ethics issues surrounding that library, irrespective of what side someone comes down on," he said.

MY COMMENTS: I want to know WHAT ETHICS CLOUD?? This is totally irresponsible for the chair of the bos to make such statements. The only ethics cloud is a figment of slager's imagination. Note that slager provided absolutely no proof and provides no sources for his maniacal ravings, better known as bad fiction.

Bruce is claiming some sort of UNETHICAL behavior taking place in the library but offers absolutely no proof? Maybe he should go back to the law school books and learn the first rule of lawyering--NO COMMENT.  The bos should make no such statements on totally unfounded claims.

Brucie should also go back and look up the word disbarmant. I believe a suspension of license is quite different.  Yet another joker who doesn't know when to shut up. Just my opinion, of course.

#23 2009-11-07 08:27:18

Your opinion is fine with me and probably everyone else on this site, Molly.
If Bruce is truly a student of law, find the school he is attending, see if it is accredited, and have him submit proof that he actually attends and let's see his courses of study and his GPA for the courses he has taken.
Anyone who has gone to Law School knows that the first half (in most schools) are contracts, torts, civil, etc.
Second half is criminal law and court room training.
He hasn't grasped what he has been taught, if it is true he actually attends.
Someone should send his professors his statements made to the media, and ask if that is a person that they would like to join their fraternity of lawyers.

#24 2009-11-07 10:18:16

"What Ethics Cloud?" is right, Molly.  The only cloud the library is suffering from is a lying dirtbag cloud.

#25 2009-11-07 10:55:10

Good one Ham. I say show me the proof. A ten year embezzlement scheme that practically the whole town is in on--police, schools, town committees, former elected people, library folks and on and on? There has to be a ton of "proof" to make such a claim.

So, it's simple. Show me the proof of this embezzlement. If ragboy has an "airtight" case, we should be seeing 123 arrests here real quick.  And the state will come in and close the library until a full investigation can be done. A so-called "crime" of this size calls for the big guns. Oh, I forgot, the DA is in on it. What does he get out of it again? Could he be one of the 123? Was he even around from 1995 to 2005? Logic lost?

Advice to my Saturday morning friends--don't hold your breath waiting for ragboy to reveal what's in this dark cloud.

As I said on another thread--bad fiction. A penny dreadful.

But for the Chair of the board of selectmen to perpetuate the false allegations is totally unacceptable. I would say the ethics cloud in Wareham is a man who doesn't pay his taxes and bilked the citizens out of a couple million dollars in a Swifts Beach debacle.  Come April we give this man his walking papers with no 15 day grace period. Can you say "google" Brucie?

#26 2009-11-07 11:33:18

I'm wondering  why there's been no response from the BOS regarding Slager's  dramatic story....  Perhaps it's because they've heard it months before, but  instead of reacting cautiously they swallowed  it, hook, line, and sinker and launched Audiogate.

Now the BOS folks are beating up on Bobo for leading them into a trackless waste...... and who but Bobo would think that he could redeem himself if he put his fiction on the front page  of The Observer, guaranteeing that it would  then become fact?

It's almost as if he's a "throwback" to the ancients called  Alchemists who claimed to be able to turn base metals into gold. And, just as with our own latterday alchemist, there were people who believed them.

Hey Bobo ! ! The International  Society for Flat Earth Believers is looking for someone to head up their  monthly magazine. You're The Man !

#27 2009-11-07 11:43:00

When he writes the his fantasy under his "in this corner", he can claim the allegations are his opinion, but when he writes that he was not about to share his research with a respectable paper, doesn't that statement take the article outside of the realm of opinion?

I don't understand why someone isn'e suing the pants off the ragman.

#28 2009-11-07 11:47:15

Did he publish the story in his hard copy paper?
I only know he wrote it on the web site.

#29 2009-11-07 12:02:04

IT WAS PUBLISHED ON THE FRONT PAGE WITH MRS PILLSBURY'S PHOTO ON THE FRONT PAGE. AGAIN WHY IS HE HIDING "IN THIS CORNER" WHY BOBO WHY? CLAIMING SOMEONE COMMITTED A CRIME ALONG WITH 123 OTHER PEOPLE IS NOT "OPINION". IN HIS STORY HE CLAIMS IT WAS HIS INVESTIGATION NOT OPINION. OF COURSE THE BOS HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN IT. BOBO HAS CALLED ON THE BOS TO CONDUCT A FORENSIC AUDIT OF THE LIBRARY BOOKS. SPEND TAXPAYERS MONIES BECAUSE BOBO SAYS HE HAS SEVERAL UNNAMED SOURCES?

#30 2009-11-07 12:24:50

Keep in mind, he is also throwing John Donahue the race baiter in the mix. Wow....we are seeing the wall crumble around this group. First they use their moutpiece to skewer the opposition, and now he is outing them for the lies they have been trying build their political future on.

Woohoo, we have ourselves an old fashion stupid contest!

#31 2009-11-07 12:58:41

RE: the S-T article as updated on Sat. AM

Who, what, when, where, why  - they aren't fitting together very well, are they Brucie?

BTW, what purpose was served by TWICE throwing a falsity regarding "ethics" at the library in a single response to the S-T?

"We as a board had no legal authority to rescind this hiring decision because the time had run out," he said. "We had 15 days from the time of notice (to the hire). We did receive an e-mail but didn't have the background information of knowledge until the night he was introduced. The clock had literally run out," Sauvageau said.

fifteen days from when, exactly? well, Nora B. tells us it was October 19. that means that the BoS met twice before the grand introduction of Nov. 3, right?
It also means that the decision was made prior to 10/19, that perhaps an offer was made prior to 10/19, and that possibly an acceptance was rendered prior to 10/19. And Sanguinet tries to tell us with a straight face that the BoS was out of this loop for well over two weeks?

Ah, but there's that pesky little first person plural: "we" Who's this "we", Kemo Sabe? Perhaps it makes sense that Crionie was seeing the resume for the first time on Nov. 3 (he seems like a short-timer to me), but what about the expressions from the female side of the table, which I took to be first looks as well?

" the window of opportunity that the board had to rescind an appointment had already run out by the time the details about Nerboso reached the board"

Assuming that the fifteen period includes weekends, the "window" would have closed on Monday, November 2, 2009. that is, the window that the BOARD had! Does anyone really & truly believe that there was no involvement whatsoever at the BoS level? as Sanguinet would lead us to believe (just where is that sword, and does he know how to just nick or scratch? and someone please inform the iTA that the rectus abdominus muscle is located in the front, not the rear).

The stories are not adding up here.

And Brucie, a note here from your old pal Notalawyer. Worried about clouds hovering overhead, are you? You are starting to look like Joe Btfsplk, the character in  Li'l Abner by Al Capp, the one who walked around with a cloud over his head. Move toward the Sunshine, Brucie, let it shine in on the workings of the Wareham town government. You know, the thing that citizens/voters/taxpayers are longing for: transparency in government. Try it, we might like it!

Last edited by notalawyer (2009-11-07 13:00:58)

#32 2009-11-07 17:47:12

Dick Paulsen wrote:

So, here is the thought, why not share a [library] director with some nearby town?

I'm thrilled someone's begun to consider viable options because it's clear the current administration will leave office in handcuffs after thoroughly gutting the town's finances.

All the same, remember the response from more affluent surrounding communities following Wareham's loss of library accreditation? Only Bourne - once a part of Wareham - stepped up, and only after determined arm twisting.

Unless we decide to offer financial inducements we can't afford, I think we're on our own hook here, Dick.

My personal belief is a town's library should represent the single greatest resource it offers its citizenry. The law requires MLS accreditation for a position that demands dedicated organizing and people skills. How we parse that is the root question, I think.

#33 2009-11-07 19:54:26

Bill W: That last sentence of yours is  close to my mantra.   "The poorer a community becomes, the more it needs a strong library,"

I have another  bibliobabble :"The three most important things in roadbuilding are: drainage,drainage, and drainage. The three most important things  that can uplift Wareham are: education, education, and education.

Libraries suffer from where they are placed on our budget.. as an "add on" after  "Education". Most people are for "Education", but listing "Library" as if an expendable frill makes it easy for people to vote against the library, yet feel they have voted for education. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The school system picks up on kids at the first grade and carries them through the twelfth: The Library, on the other  hand, picks up kids who have to be carried into the library by their parents,and continues to nourish them  right up to the end of their lives. A strong library is NOT a frill.  We should think of the library as the underpinning of EVERYTHING that we call education.

Bottom line: Beware people who pass themselves off as educated yet who belittle the vital importance  of a strong library system.  I shudder to think that there are people on FinCom who see the library as an expendable item.

A year ago  I was involved in a non-verbal expression of the depth of my support for WFL. Nothing I've done in my life was done with greater feeling than that "paddlethon"  in support of WFL. We are  led ,not just  by the BOS, but by FinCom, by people would have us believe that libraries are a thing of the past. Get them to change their priorities or get them "outta here".

all the wat=y to the end

#34 2009-11-07 20:54:09

Dick Wheeler,

What can one say, but: Amen,brother.

If I may. My late mother taught me to read well before school age, partly by reading to me for many, many hours. It never seemed like that big a deal, until the past few years as I eased into retirement. And then it dawned on me, like the sun coming up over a marble head. Someone was there to get the ball rolling, my mother. But there were many others, like the school librarians who I haunted for more & more books, and the Town librarians as well. And the teachers, of course.

It is time for me to give back. My choice, if it can be implemented, is to to teach English as a second language. And of course, what group is totally involved in this effort: the librarians.

It will start with a 4-week course in boston in January. Who knows where it will lead. Doesn't really matter. The point, as any good librarian will tell you, is to help people advance. We'll see.

#35 2009-11-07 22:14:58

Best of luck, nota...I have no doubt you will succeed!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com